ADVERTISEMENT

Predict Which Lower-Level Coaches And Top DI Assistants Will Take HC Jobs In Top Three Conferences

Mid-major head coaches that will coach in a power conference:
Wes Miller (UNCG)- It's going to happen. No doubt in my mind. I could see him landing at a place like Georgia Tech as early as next season.

Craig Smith (Utah State)- one more successful year at Utah State, and you'll definitely see his name being considered for a power conference school.

Mike Rhoades (VCU)- If you're at VCU, you're always on the radar of a high-profiled school. Look at all the guys VCU has lost just over the past 13 years: Jeff Capel (Oklahoma), Anthony Grant (Alabama), Shaka Smart (Texas), Will Wade (LSU). Rhoades will get his chance too.

Matt McMahon (Murray State)- Ja Morant will show up on his resume for the rest of his life. If he can maintain decent teams with another trip or two to the tournament, I could see him landing a big gig.

Assistant Coaches that will become HC in the next few years:
Luke Yaklich (Texas)- just a matter of time before he gets a big-time offer

Mike Miller (Memphis)- We know he can recruit. He's played at the highest level. Give him a few years under Penny, and he'll find himself a good situation.

Jon Scheyer (Duke) - I don't think he leaves Duke for a job like Northwestern. Would have to be a little more high-profile job (ala Wojo and Marquette).

Reactions: bMORE607
Mid-major head coaches that will coach in a power conference:
Wes Miller (UNCG)- It's going to happen. No doubt in my mind. I could see him landing at a place like Georgia Tech as early as next season.

Craig Smith (Utah State)- one more successful year at Utah State, and you'll definitely see his name being considered for a power conference school.

Mike Rhoades (VCU)- If you're at VCU, you're always on the radar of a high-profiled school. Look at all the guys VCU has lost just over the past 13 years: Jeff Capel (Oklahoma), Anthony Grant (Alabama), Shaka Smart (Texas), Will Wade (LSU). Rhoades will get his chance too.

Matt McMahon (Murray State)- Ja Morant will show up on his resume for the rest of his life. If he can maintain decent teams with another trip or two to the tournament, I could see him landing a big gig.

Assistant Coaches that will become HC in the next few years:
Luke Yaklich (Texas)- just a matter of time before he gets a big-time offer

Mike Miller (Memphis)- We know he can recruit. He's played at the highest level. Give him a few years under Penny, and he'll find himself a good situation.

Jon Scheyer (Duke) - I don't think he leaves Duke for a job like Northwestern. Would have to be a little more high-profile job (ala Wojo and Marquette).
Since we’re going to be in need of a new coach soon

giphy.gif

Unfortunately, it looks like Notre Dame could be looking for a coach before long, even if not after this season.

I'm not baiting.
If Holtman got an offer from UK, Duke, UNC or KU, he's going to take it.
Ohio State is a great job, but OSU is miles from being an upper tier basketball program.

I'm not baiting.
If Holtman got an offer from UK, Duke, UNC or KU, he's going to take it.
Ohio State is a great job, but OSU is miles from being an upper tier basketball program.

You think the 3rd highest revenue program in the country would just let him walk without trying to back up the brinks truck.

You think the 3rd highest revenue program in the country would just let him walk without trying to back up the brinks truck.
Most of the time it wouldn't matter. It's not all about money.

Heck, UK could afford to pay Stoops (football) whatever Ohio State could pay him, but if Ohio State wanted him, he's probably gone. There are spme exceptions, but if you get a shot to coach at a blue blood program, you better take it and they usually do.

Heck, UK could afford to pay Stoops (football) whatever Ohio State could pay him, but if Ohio State wanted him, he's probably gone. There are spme exceptions, but if you get a shot to coach at a blue blood program, you better take it and they usually do.
I could see UK, but that’s probably it. I wouldn’t want to be the guy to follow Roy or K and I don’t see Self going anywhere anytime soon. Ohio State isn’t like Nebraska, they have a pretty good history, even with being second fiddle to football.

Big difference between Ohio State basketball and Kentucky football though.

Ohio State is a destination job in basketball. If things are going great for him there I don't know why he would leave to go anywhere else.

Honestly, I could see someone establishing consistent success at a school like tOSU staying put as opposed to going to a big four blue blood.

Duke, you're following a legend and are guaranteed to be a step down in everyone’s eyes.

Kentucky, you're getting potentially unmatched pressure across all major sports.

North Carolina is pressure-packed and another pedigree making it seem like you're probably a step down.

Kansas, well, see the above.

It would be a thinker and not a sure thing. At least to me.

I could see UK, but that’s probably it. I wouldn’t want to be the guy to follow Roy or K and I don’t see Self going anywhere anytime soon. Ohio State isn’t like Nebraska, they have a pretty good history, even with being second fiddle to football.
Guys as good as Holtman are not afraid to follow coach K.

Guys as good as Holtman are not afraid to follow coach K.

It’s not about being afraid. It’s about job security. If he gets OSU to be a top 15 program every year he has a lot of room for down years in case; he misses on recruits, guys leave earlier than expected, or injuries derail seasons. If he goes to Duke they are going to expect immediate success.

You think back to back R32 finishes are going to be alright there or maybe fans and media start whispering a little bit and expect deeper runs.

Reactions: WojoRising
Ohio State really isn't that far behind Kentucky, at least in terms of being one of the most desirable coaching positions. If I were ranking the top 25 jobs, I might say this:

1. Duke
2. Kentucky
3. UNC
4. Kansas
5. Louisville
6. Indiana
7. Michigan State
8. Ohio State
9. UCLA
10. Virginia
11. Oregon
12. Michigan
13. Texas
14. Villanova
15. Florida
16. Arizona
17. Purdue
18. Tennessee
19. Gonzaga
20. Florida State
21. Maryland
22. LSU
23. Syracuse
24. Auburn
25. Wisconsin

There are a lot of variables to consider for the best head coaching jobs: program history/prestige, recent tournament success, current state of the program, alumni support, salary, geographical location. I wouldn't normally think of Tennessee and Auburn as super-desirable spots, but SEC schools pay a lot of money, they're in a hotbed region for recruiting talent, and they've both been able to win recently. Only thing they really lack is history.

Ohio State really isn't that far behind Kentucky, at least in terms of being one of the most desirable coaching positions. If I were ranking the top 25 jobs, I might say this:

1. Duke
2. Kentucky
3. UNC
4. Kansas
5. Louisville
6. Indiana
7. Michigan State
8. Ohio State
9. UCLA
10. Virginia
11. Oregon
12. Michigan
13. Texas
14. Villanova
15. Florida
16. Arizona
17. Purdue
18. Tennessee
19. Gonzaga
20. Florida State
21. Maryland
22. LSU
23. Syracuse
24. Auburn
25. Wisconsin

There are a lot of variables to consider for the best head coaching jobs: program history/prestige, recent tournament success, current state of the program, alumni support, salary, geographical location. I wouldn't normally think of Tennessee and Auburn as super-desirable spots, but SEC schools pay a lot of money, they're in a hotbed region for recruiting talent, and they've both been able to win recently. Only thing they really lack is history.

I thought we were friends

Reactions: dukedevilz
You guys might be higher. Idk. Just something I ran through pretty quickly. Where would you rank Maryland?

Top 20. Right at 20 would have been fine, I was just giving you shit because you put us behind FSU. We should be better, with our facilities and recruiting area, than what we are currently, but the recent plateau we have hit has hurt us.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Top 20. Right at 20 would have been fine, I was just giving you shit because you put us behind FSU. We should be better, with our facilities and recruiting area, than what we are currently, but the recent plateau we have hit has hurt us.

You guys probably do have an edge over FSU, now that I think of it. You have better home atmospheres, and the Delmarva area has an insane amount of basketball talent.

1. Duke
2. Kentucky
3. UNC
4. Kansas
5. Louisville
6. Indiana
7. Michigan State
8. Ohio State
9. UCLA
10. Virginia
11. Oregon
12. Michigan
13. Texas
14. Villanova
15. Florida
16. Arizona
17. Purdue
18. Tennessee
19. Gonzaga
20. Florida State
21. Maryland
22. LSU
23. Syracuse
24. Auburn
25. Wisconsin

1. North Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Kansas
5. Indiana
6. Louisville
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan State
9. UCLA (could easily be top 3-5 though)
10. Michigan
11. Texas
12. Florida
13. Arizona
14. Villanova
15. Syracuse
16. Illinois
17. Virginia
18. Maryland
19. Oklahoma
20. Purdue
21. Florida State
22. Oregon
23. Gonzaga
24. Washington
25. LSU

1. North Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Kansas
5. Indiana
6. Louisville
7. Ohio State
8. Michigan State
9. UCLA (could easily be top 3-5 though)
10. Michigan
11. Texas
12. Florida
13. Arizona
14. Villanova
15. Syracuse
16. Illinois
17. Virginia
18. Maryland
19. Oklahoma
20. Purdue
21. Florida State
22. Oregon
23. Gonzaga
24. Washington
25. LSU

Pretty similar. Biggest variances would be that you favor Illinois and Oklahoma. I didn't rank either of them. And I had Oregon quite a bit higher. Illinois absolutely has the ceiling to be a top 15 program. If they could just win half of the recruiting battles of their own in-state guys, they'd be a top 25 program every year. Oklahoma has had nice players and teams. I just see them as a football school that occasionally has a Sweet 16 run. But 2 FF's this century is nice, so that's something to consider.

I really like Oregon's potential to land just about any player they want. Who wouldn't want to play for THE Nike school? Outside of a homely basketball court, they have every recruiting advantage you could ask for.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Pretty similar. Biggest variances would be that you favor Illinois and Oklahoma. I didn't rank either of them. And I had Oregon quite a bit higher. Illinois absolutely has the ceiling to be a top 15 program. If they could just win half of the recruiting battles of their own in-state guys, they'd be a top 25 program every year. Oklahoma has had nice players and teams. I just see them as a football school that occasionally has a Sweet 16 run. But 2 FF's this century is nice, so that's something to consider.

I really like Oregon's potential to land just about any player they want. Who wouldn't want to play for THE Nike school? Outside of a homely basketball court, they have every recruiting advantage you could ask for.
Two schools I didn't rank that I feel are sleeping giants are Washington and Georgia. They're both the premiere school in highly populated states and have deeper pockets than most. I think they could do some long term damage if they ever hired the right guy and were able to hold on to him. It's too bad that neither seem to really care about college basketball but the potential is there.

Two schools I didn't rank that I feel are sleeping giants are Washington and Georgia. They're both the premiere school in highly populated states and have deeper pockets than most. I think they could do some long term damage if they ever hired the right guy and were able to hold on to him. It's too bad that neither seem to really care about college basketball but the potential is there.

Both schools have potential, yes. I don't think Washington is the premier school in the state, however. Mark Few is 12-1 against UW. Once Few leaves, things can change. Absolutely. But as of right now, Gonzaga is king of the hill in the state of Washington.

Both schools have potential, yes. I don't think Washington is the premier school in the state, however. Mark Few is 12-1 against UW. Once Few leaves, things can change. Absolutely. But as of right now, Gonzaga is king of the hill in the state of Washington.
I meant as far as what the locals think. Gonzaga is better in basketball, yes, but if Washington ever became really good it would be much more exciting for the people that live there than Gonzaga being good.

I meant as far as what the locals think. Gonzaga is better in basketball, yes, but if Washington ever became really good it would be much more exciting for the people that live there than Gonzaga being good.

I think you'd be surprised how big the Gonzaga fanbase actually is. They're a small Jesuit school, but they travel well. I went to WCC tournament last year and I would bet that 95% of the crowd consisted of Gonzaga fans. Most of the other schools in the conference don't have much student/alumni support, so the Gonzaga fans do something really creative. They buy seasons tickets from the other schools and split the cost among 6-8 individuals. This allows them to be eligible for the WCC Conference Tournament tickets. And whala! All of a sudden the WCC Tourney in Vegas becomes the Gonzaga Invitational.

Also, check out the Twitter pages for Gonzaga and Washington Basketball. GU has almost 4x as many followers. They are, without a doubt in my mind, the premier school in the state. Certainly things could change post-Few. Just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Reactions: bMORE607
I think you'd be surprised how big the Gonzaga fanbase actually is. They're a small Jesuit school, but they travel well. I went to WCC tournament last year and I would bet that 95% of the crowd consisted of Gonzaga fans. Most of the other schools in the conference don't have much student/alumni support, so the Gonzaga fans do something really creative. They buy seasons tickets from the other schools and split the cost among 6-8 individuals. This allows them to be eligible for the WCC Conference Tournament tickets. And whala! All of a sudden the WCC Tourney in Vegas becomes the Gonzaga Invitational.

Also, check out the Twitter pages for Gonzaga and Washington Basketball. GU has almost 4x as many followers. They are, without a doubt in my mind, the premier school in the state. Certainly things could change post-Few. Just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.
Right. I get all of that. I’m just saying if you ask the average person in Seattle who do you like more UW or Gonzaga I’m guessing UW wins that at like a 75%+ clip. Washington being really good would create a TON more buzz than Gonzaga. It just goes with the territory of being the premiere school of the state (all things considered).

Mark Few steps down. Gonzaga kind of disappears. Washington hires the right guy. Suddenly UW is the name of the region and no recruits are leaving Seattle. That was my original reason atleast as to why I think they have the potential to become a player in the sport.

There is a difference between Nike Corporate and Phil Knight

Nike may have a lot of people from the University of Oregon who work there but Nike Corporate makes decisions based on customer base.

Nike Corporate has much bigger deals with Texas and Ohio State than they do Oregon.
They sell more Nike merchandise.

Oregon is a Top 20 maybe Top 15 job. They are trying to position themselves as the glamour school on the West Coast so could eventually move up.

ADVERTISEMENT