ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the No.1 seeds?

thebasketballreasons

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2013
As the way it stands, KU is a guaranteed 1 seed regardless of how the conference tournament tourneys play out. The other 3 are up for grab, and usually one team from ACC will take it. The candidates narrow down to Florida State, Louisville and Duke. If any of these three teams win the ACC tournament, they get a No.1 seed. However, if a team like UVA wins the ACC tournament, theres a chance none of ACC teams will get a 1 seed.

Gonzaga will be another No.1 seed if they win their tournament, which isnt a lock but a high possibility. Dayton can also grab a No.1 seed if they win their conference tournament, though it is not guaranteed. Baylor will have to beat KU in the conference tournament to get a No.1 seed, I dont think they will but who knows? UK is also a candidate, if 1-2 above teams fail to win their respective conference tournament.

Assuming every top seeded team wins their conference tournament, my take for No.1 seeds are: KU, Florida State, Gonzaga and Dayton. And the No.2 seeds will be Baylor, SDSU, Duke and UK. What are your predictions?

As the way it stands, KU is a guaranteed 1 seed regardless of how the conference tournament tourneys play out. The other 3 are up for grab, and usually one team from ACC will take it. The candidates narrow down to Florida State, Louisville and Duke. If any of these three teams win the ACC tournament, they get a No.1 seed. However, if a team like UVA wins the ACC tournament, theres a chance none of ACC teams will get a 1 seed.

Gonzaga will be another No.1 seed if they win their tournament, which isnt a lock but a high possibility. Dayton can also grab a No.1 seed if they win their conference tournament, though it is not guaranteed. Baylor will have to beat KU in the conference tournament to get a No.1 seed, I dont think they will but who knows? UK is also a candidate, if 1-2 above teams fail to win their respective conference tournament.

Assuming every top seeded team wins their conference tournament, my take for No.1 seeds are: KU, Florida State, Gonzaga and Dayton. And the No.2 seeds will be Baylor, SDSU, Duke and UK. What are your predictions?
KU, Gonzaga, Dayton and Baylor as 1s
SDSU, FSU, Kentucky and MSU (think they’ll win the Big 10 tournament) as 2s. Duke and Creighton close

Have you seen any actual projections with an ACC team getting a one? I haven’t.

KU, Gonzaga, Dayton and Baylor as 1s
SDSU, FSU, Kentucky and MSU (think they’ll win the Big 10 tournament) as 2s. Duke and Creighton close
I think if things go as planned, best scenario for MSU and UK, are 3-seeds. I see them both being projected as 4/5 range.

I think Dayton slides into the 4th #1 spot in place of San Diego State. Other than that, KU, Baylor and Gonzaga will be the other #1 seeds.

Kansas, Baylor, and Gonzaga are locked in. They could all lose their first conference tourney game and still get the 1 seed.

Seems like Dayton is the 4th right now.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
lol Baylor as #1 seed with 3 and likely 4 losses in their recent 1-2 weeks.
RollLaugh

Is this Gil’s other account? Pathetic.

First off, we’re talking about as of today. If Florida St wins the ACC tourney and Baylor bows out early, it could obviously change things. Short of that, there’s little chance of it happening. Baylor’s resume is much better. Even with a few recent losses. Did you forget that they started 24-1, with a ton of good wins and a long reign at number 1? Are we just throwing that out? Which win of FSU’s even compares to a win in Allen Fieldhouse? Clown show.

First off, we’re talking about as of today. If Florida St wins the ACC tourney and Baylor bows out early, it could obviously change things. Short of that, there’s little chance of it happening. Baylor’s resume is much better. Even with a few recent losses. Did you forget that they started 24-1, with a ton of good wins and a long reign at number 1? Are we just throwing that out? Which win of FSU’s even compares to a win in Allen Fieldhouse? Clown show.

Yeah Baylor started 24-1, but my memory told me that the Syracuse team in 2013-2014 season started 25-0 and only ended up with a 3 seed since they lost more games than they won since that stretch. The committees will take recent forms into consideration. With KU a lock for No.1 seed, its reasonable that Baylor will not get one, especially if they dont win the conference tournament. They dont deserve a No.1 seed anyway, its Scott Drew we are talking about.

Yeah Baylor started 24-1, but my memory told me that the Syracuse team in 2013-2014 season started 25-0 and only ended up with a 3 seed since they lost more games than they won since that stretch. The committees will take recent forms into consideration. With KU a lock for No.1 seed, its reasonable that Baylor will not get one, especially if they dont win the conference tournament. They dont deserve a No.1 seed anyway, its Scott Drew we are talking about.

Syracuse lost twice as many down the stretch as Baylor has. Little different. And I’m pretty sure their overall resume didn’t compare to what Baylor has done.

But keep thinking that the committee is going to hammer Baylor for losing to the consensus #1 team and @ Morgantown. In favor of a team that has half as many quality wins. You should probably bet on it.

Right now FSU is 10th in the NET...and Baylor is 5th. Baylor has 5 more Quad 1 wins and 1 fewer Quad 1 losses plus a stronger road resume. Baylor could slide off the 1 line and FSU could move up to the 1 line, BUT there would be a lot that would have to happen. Baylor would probably have to lose in their first Big 12 tourney game or get the doors blown off by a 5+ seed and FSU would probably need the ACC tournament to run chalk (FSU, Duke, UVA, Louisville) and to win convincingly. They’ve got some ground to make up. Just winning the ACCT isn’t going to do the trick if we are talking about passing Baylor.

Reactions: jhmossy
If Baylor makes top seed, expect another loss to No.16 seed. Scott Drew will make it happen.
RollLaugh

You're blind if you've watched Baylor this year and don't think that they're elite relative to this year's field.

And I know it's fun to make fun of Drew, but can you honestly say that he's not a solid coach?

You're blind if you've watched Baylor this year and don't think that they're elite relative to this year's field.

And I know it's fun to make fun of Drew, but can you honestly say that he's not a solid coach?

I've watched how impressive Syracuse was during its 25-0 historical start, and how it quickly melted after suffering the first loss of the season. Baylor has returned to mediocrity following that loss to KU, they lost 3 out of their recent 5 games, could easily be 4 out of 6 or 7. Committees should take recent forms into consideration, and they have been doing this in the past few years.

I doubt that FSU won’t at least be a 2 seed. If we win the acct, I think we should be the last 1 seed over Dayton. They just don’t have the body if work to deserve a 1 seed.

I've watched how impressive Syracuse was during its 25-0 historical start, and how it quickly melted after suffering the first loss of the season. Baylor has returned to mediocrity following that loss to KU, they lost 3 out of their recent 5 games, could easily be 4 out of 6 or 7. Committees should take recent forms into consideration, and they have been doing this in the past few years.

If it were a 5 game season, I'd agree, Baylor would not be a 1 seed.

Nobody remembers details about a Syracuse season from 6 years ago. They probably beat a bunch of creampuffs and had a weak resume. And/or injuries down the stretch.

If it were a 5 game season, I'd agree, Baylor would not be a 1 seed.

Nobody remembers details about a Syracuse season from 6 years ago. They probably beat a bunch of creampuffs and had a weak resume. And/or injuries down the stretch.
RPI 20. SOS 53. 5-5 in last 10 prior to the NCAA tournament including an opening round loss in the ACC tournament. The teams that were seeded ahead of them had better sos’s and RPI numbers...minus Wichita St...better RPI, worse SOS but undefeated.

Edit to add Baylor had a top 10 SOS, top 5 net, and will finish no worse than 6-4 in their last 10.

Last edited:
RPI 20. SOS 53. 5-5 in last 10 prior to the NCAA tournament including an opening round loss in the ACC tournament. The teams that were seeded ahead of them had better sos’s and RPI numbers...minus Wichita St...better RPI, worse SOS but undefeated.

Yep. And 18 on Kenpom with a mediocre SOS. It’s not hard to see why they fell to where they did. It’s also not hard to see why Baylor would still be a 1 as of now. Half as many losses as that Cuse team down the stretch, with one of the three being vs the consensus #1. Still top 5 in every system and poll as far as I know, and a great overall resume.

Just a dumb comparison.

I think KU and Gonzaga are absolute locks. Baylor is virtually a lock. Dayton will hold onto the last #1 if they win their conference tourney.

The only other team that has any chance is FSU. If FSU were to win the ACCT and beat Duke and UL in the process, they’d have a chance. If Dayton were to lose, FSU may get a 1 seed over them. If Baylor gets bounced early in the Big 12 tourney, I could see a small chance the committee selects FSU over them, but I wouldn’t bet on it. If FSU doesn’t win the ACCT tourney, it’s a moot point.

Agree. Only scenario I see where the ACC gets a 1, is FSU winning the ACCT, and one of GU or Dayton, losing in their conference tourney. Even then, that might not be enough.

this. If FSU wins out we have a chance but probably need someone else to faceplant.

Edit to add Baylor had a top 10 SOS, top 5 net, and will finish no worse than 6-4 in their last 10.

Is 6-4 much better than 5-5(not mentioning if you look from a 7 or 8 games span, it could easily be 3-4 or 4-4)? Also that Syracuse team actually got a 3 seed, not even 2. Baylor being slightly better than them will guarantee only a 2 seed.

Is 6-4 much better than 5-5(not mentioning if you look from a 7 or 8 games span, it could easily be 3-4 or 4-4)? Also that Syracuse team actually got a 3 seed, not even 2. Baylor being slightly better than them will guarantee only a 2 seed.

I’ve never seen this jackass and dragonhawk in the same room together. Just saying.

I’ve never seen this jackass and dragonhawk in the same room together. Just saying.
It's interesting when you first called it out he learned punctuation. But tbh that's stupid money to pay for separate accts. Then again, @dragonhawk1855 does own a rv that he claims he don't live in. See u though MrBaracus

It's interesting when you first called it out he learned punctuation. But tbh that's stupid money to pay for separate accts. Then again, @dragonhawk1855 does own a rv that he claims he don't live in. See u though MrBaracus

I think just having another acct is more absurd than paying for it.

But seriously, this guy appears and dragonhawk disappears. Big coincidence, huh?

Aside from similar posting styles, you can tell their thought processes are similar.

Reactions: huskitt
Okay, it looks like dragonhawk is still posting in the B1G thread. But he hasn’t posted in any other threads since Saturday. And this guy’s been posting consistently since Sunday, after disappearing in November.

Notice he doesn’t deny it.

we use that RV for travelling to see place we have not seen like Yellow Stone. MT Rushmore. places where it is not practical to just drive to.

why should I live in my RV? the house is paid for. no rent, no house payments. forced retirement due to the stroke. so its time to enjoy our retirement. camping, seeing different places.

plan on going to the East Coast to see the Atlantic, West Coast to see the Pacific even to Texas to see the Gulf.

may as well use the RV/Camper to take these trips.

I suppose you could get them to time stamp a screenshot of their google location and upload it to tinyurl. Basically give "them" a window of only a few minutes to do it and perhaps it'll shed some light. IDK, probably not worth it, and a savvy enough tech person could defeat it, but if you didn't give them a large window to do it in, they may not be able to swing it so quickly.

Aside from similar posting styles, you can tell their thought processes are similar.
Dude comes off like a returd.

On bracketmatrix, Baylor is a 1 in all 124 brackets and the #2 overall seed.

Yet, this clowntard thinks Baylor is a two seed.

That’s not the point I was making. Additionally the entire background is entirely different between the two seasons. First, the original discussion was whether or not the winner of the ACC T (presumed to be FSU) would be an automatic for a 1 seed. 2nd, nothing happens in a vacuum and the seasons (2013-14/2019-20) have drastically different scenarios.

To the point, teams are selected based on their body of work. NET, Quad 1 wins, SOS, non-conference SOS, advanced metrics, performance in last 10, etc. all contribute to the S-curve and seeding. If you are comparing the resumes between Baylor and FSU, Baylor has a better NET, SOS, non-con SOS, and is higher in the advanced metrics. Baylor also has one fewer loss than FSU.

FSU has to make up ground and they only have 3 games to do it. In order to have a puncher’s chance, FSU has to win the ACCT and they’ve got to pick up quad one wins in the process. Unless Baylor loses in the opening round of the Big 12 tourney, they’re going to be improving their resume too. Simply winning the ACCT isn’t going to get FSU the nod to the one line over Baylor.

On the comparison between Syracuse and Baylor, you have to look at all of the data. Syracuse slipped from an 1 seed based on wins to a 3 seed when the wins stopped. They lost 5 of their last 7 games heading into the NCAA tourney, including an opening round loss in the conference tourney. Syracuse also had an RPI behind most of the 4 seeds and an SOS behind all of the top 4 seeds except for Wichita St. which was 34-0 going into the NCAA’s. Their resume was very average and like WSU, they were ranked high because of their record not because of their resume. When their record slipped, they had nothing to fall back on.

The difference between that team and Baylor is that Baylor not only had a long win streak, they also have a very strong resume.

I’m not saying that Baylor won’t fall to the two line. They could. An opening round loss would hurt, especially if any of the teams currently on the two line win out. There are teams with comparable resumes around them...Duke being one of them. They could slip.

Gonzaga won its conference tournament, grabbing a #1 seed along with KU who already sealed it at the end of regular season. 2 more #1 seeds still open for debate.

Kansas
Gonzaga
Baylor
Dayton

2s
FSU
SDSU
Duke
Nova

3s
Maryland
Kentucky
Creighton
Oregon

Gonzaga won its conference tournament, grabbing a #1 seed along with KU who already sealed it at the end of regular season. 2 more #1 seeds still open for debate.
I think Baylor needs to just win their opening game in the Big 12 tournament to leave no doubts about a #1 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT