ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers for Keyontae Johnson

Crappy Davenpot

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2002
For those that don’t know he collapsed early during the FSU-UF game. Is now in critical but stable condition in the hospital, last I heard. 🙏🏻

Glad FSU won. Hate the circumstances. Heard coach Ham deferred to the UF staff on whether they wanted to continue. Glad to hear. Just seems UF is snakebit in this series right now.

Keyontae’s family is being flown into Tallahassee right now by UF. I don’t know if that is necessary horrible news, but I know it’s not good news.

Keyontae’s family is being flown into Tallahassee right now by UF. I don’t know if that is necessary horrible news, but I know it’s not good news.

Hope it’s not a bad sign. Gosh this is just terrible. No words.

Yeah, may not be bad news, but definitely isn’t good.

Remains in critical care. The longer this goes on the more it feels like it’s going to be a horrible ending. I hope I’m wrong, but the bad thoughts are creeping in.

• Sad
Reactions: KisteK
Remains in critical care. The longer this goes on the more it feels like it’s going to be a horrible ending. I hope I’m wrong, but the bad thoughts are creeping in.
Is he breathing on his own?

We aren’t sure unfortunately. Literally no info is leaking out. It’s scary because they know how many people are nervous and they’d release good news if they had it (assuming his parents would agree and I’m sure they would).
So very sad....No news usually means bad news. If he were improving, breathing on his own, etc, etc...It seems likely that UF or the family would release something. Or maybe they are just being extremely private. Reason I asked about breathing on his own, is b/c the longer one is on a venilator, the more difficult it becomes; and less likely to come off of it...

Many prayers my friend.

Reactions: theetommyt
We aren’t sure unfortunately. Literally no info is leaking out. It’s scary because they know how many people are nervous and they’d release good news if they had it (assuming his parents would agree and I’m sure they would).
His sister posted an update on social media but didnt sound like anything changed.

Agree with you above, outlook doesn't sound great based on no info coming out.

Reactions: FlGator22
It looked similar to what happened to me. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. It runs in my family unfortunately. Both my mom and my brother had to get theirs replaced about 10 years ago. I was being checked regularly by a doc who believed mine was good for another10 years or so.

I play hockey 3x per week for exercise. Am in really good shape and can play hard for a couple hours with no issue. One morning a couple years ago I was playing in my regular sunday morning skate and less than 10 minutes into it I started feeling dizzy. Skated back to the bench and before I got there I passed out in the middle of the ice. Got rushed to the hospital where I recuperated pretty quickly. Saw my doc, got an echo and sure enough my valve had gotten so tight that it closed up while I was exercising which caused me to pass out.

A month later I had open heart surgery and a new valve.

If Keyontae had a valve issue and didn't know he had one what happened yesterday and him still being in the hospital for testing is what it would look like. Obviously, it could be any number of things....just saying that so far it looks/sounds similar to a previously unknown valve issue.

His girlfriend is a UF women’s BB player. She is going to play for the women’s team their next game, today or tomorrow? That may be an indicator that Johnson isn’t in immediate danger? Sorry don’t have the link.

His girlfriend is a UF women’s BB player. She is going to play for the women’s team their next game, today or tomorrow? That may be an indicator that Johnson isn’t in immediate danger? Sorry don’t have the link.

Yea that could be an indicator. Although if it is dire some people probably want to play for a break from the reality and some might choose to not play because it’s too much. Hard to tell.

Yea that could be an indicator. Although if it is dire some people probably want to play for a break from the reality and some might choose to not play because it’s too much. Hard to tell.

Very true. Also with covid restrictions at hospitals they may only let is parents/family in to see him.

His grandfather said he is in a medically induced coma and they hope to bring him out of it this afternoon. The quote was he “may” have had some brain activity. That’s not good.

His grandfather said he is in a medically induced coma and they hope to bring him out of it this afternoon. The quote was he “may” have had some brain activity. That’s not good.
Has anyone been able to determine what happened to him?

Has anyone been able to determine what happened to him?

No, at least not publicly. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was an aneurysm or stroke based on things we have heard though.

No, at least not publicly. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was an aneurysm or stroke based on things we have heard though.
I truly hope he recovers with no lasting ill effects.

Just so sad. I'm 35 and worry about ridiculous things from time to time medically since I have a family, like an aneurysm. Just don't know how these things happen to a world class athlete like KJ and supremely unhealthy people go their whole lives with hardly anything like this.

Reactions: GainesvilleGreen

I just read the USA Today article with his grandfather’s quote. He has been transported to Gainesville Shands. Praying for him.

That was my first thought and after hearing he has been able to follow simple commands it seems even more likely that is the case. Whatever it is/was, hopefully he continues to make large strides towards recovery. A UK football player experienced something similar this past spring/summer. They never announced what happened, but it seems apparent he had an aneurysm or stroke.

That was my first thought and after hearing he has been able to follow simple commands it seems even more likely that is the case. Whatever it is/was, hopefully he continues to make large strides towards recovery. A UK football player experienced something similar this past spring/summer. They never announced what happened, but it seems apparent he had an aneurysm or stroke.

How is he doing?

How is he doing?
This was in October, almost 6 months later. 6'3" 230+ lb linebacker and one of UK's best defensive players.
5f837006d9886.image.jpg

2YGEIZGZIRHELELM5LRD33NNLU.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: KisteK and UL_1986
Any news? I hate hearing stories like these, it’s utterly devastating.

They had him in an induced coma. This reminded me so much of Hank Gaithers. I watched both games and its really awful to see this. I hated this for him, his family and Florida. Both teams seemed to be shaken up by it.

Sucks for KJ. Such a fun player to watch. Glad he's doing a little better. Hope he's able to make a full recovery.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Good news and now we need a complete recovery that allows him to continue to pursue his goals.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
ADVERTISEMENT