ADVERTISEMENT

posters who graduated from their school should get special badges.

Really? Like I said earlier, I grew up in West Lafayette literally 5 min from the Purdue campus. My high school was filled with professors kids and was across the street from Ross Ade Stadium. My mom still lives in town although she moved a little farther away and is now neighbors with Matt Painter (~15 min from campus). I remember going to most home games from when I was in 3rd grade until I left for college. My love for Purdue has been for pretty much all my life while there are many alumni that started being fans at the age of 18. I chose to take a better opportunity in the northeast for college, but Purdue bball and football are my first loves in sports and that will never change despite the decades of heartbreak. Maybe there should be an exception for “townies” that chose to go elsewhere for whatever reason.

Like I said, it doesn't make anyone less of a fan, in fact you may very well be a more hardcore fan, but it's a different relationship for those who went to the school. For those who went to the school, it's not just a team to root for. I'm not surprised at all you classmates who went to IU root for IU over Purdue. I would be shocked if they didn't.

Well, my alma matter, UNCG, qualified for the dance tonight. I wasn't fast enough to run for an ACC school. I'll root for UNCG over any school in track/cross country, but they're second-fiddle for me in everything else. I was a pretty dedicated fan when I was in school. Pretty sure I went to every home game - and I'd even make the 5-6 hour roundtrip drive just to watch one of the games over winter break.

Best UNCG basketball moment was when Mike Dement laid into all five of the starters (Dement was actually a former assistant for Coach K). The opposing team went on a furious run, Dement called timeout, then he let them have it. The starters all sat down in their sits, in the middle of the court, with the bench players hovering behind them. Then Dement looked at each of them - and pointed within inches of their face, "WEAK (pointing to player 1)! WEAK (pointing to player 2)! WEAK (pointing to player 3)! WEAK (pointing to player 4)! WEAK (pointing to player 5)! You're all f**king weak!" I don't know why that was funny, it's probably just regular coach speak, but we were playing in a small gym at the time (not the Greensboro Coliseum), and it was very noticeable.

What did you run? XC/Long distance?

Cross Country and 5-10k in track. I was a very average runner, however. I never broke 15 minutes in the 5k. We had one dude at UNCG shortly after I graduated, Paul Chelimo, who ended up winning a silver medal in the 5k at the 2016 Olympics. So, I know our program will never be a juggernaut, but at least we can boast about having one of the top distance runners in the world. I do find it interesting how mid-majors actually do very well in cross country. The WCC has 3 teams ranked in the top 20. Overall, 10 schools ranked in the top 30 aren't from power conferences. NCAAs are actually next Monday. Should be a good one.

Reactions: duckboy33
Cross Country and 5-10k in track. I was a very average runner, however. I never broke 15 minutes in the 5k. We had one dude at UNCG shortly after I graduated, Paul Chelimo, who ended up winning a silver medal in the 5k at the 2016 Olympics. So, I know our program will never be a juggernaut, but at least we can boast about having one of the top distance runners in the world. I do find it interesting how mid-majors actually do very well in cross country. The WCC has 3 teams ranked in the top 20. Overall, 10 schools ranked in the top 30 aren't from power conferences. NCAAs are actually next Monday. Should be a good one.

I used to run XC and track so I appreciated being at UO and seeing some of the top athletes in the world compete at Hayward Field. It is interesting to see how smaller programs compete in XC. Norther Arizona is usually very good.I know University of Portland has a good distance program

Reactions: dukedevilz
I used to run XC and track so I appreciated being at UO and seeing some of the top athletes in the world compete at Hayward Field. It is interesting to see how smaller programs compete in XC. Norther Arizona is usually very good.I know University of Portland has a good distance program

I've never been to UO. So, is the Eugene community as crazy about their XC/Track teams as many around the country make it out to be? Can't imagine what it's like being in an area where runners actually get widespread notoriety for their performances. I think just about every elite runner in high school would have Oregon in their top 5 wish list for an ideal place to run collegiately.

NAU has a long, stable history of success. And Flagstaff is at an elevation around 7,000 feet. I can't imagine them not being a nationally elite program anytime soon. I did a few workouts with one of their runners a few years back. He was consistently doing 100+ miles a week, IIRC. The crazy thing about these top programs, is they're able to snag several 4:15-4:20 milers as walk-ons. When you have 5-10 that fit that mold, a few of them will eventually be really solid contributors. It is interesting how mid-majors can compete with the big schools.

Portland has a solid track record. Cool to see it's not just one school in the state that consistently does well on the national stage. Furman, which is a little over an hour from my hometown, finished in the top 15 last year for men and women. I've heard they ideally like to redshirt their freshmen, and start out with low mileage, around 55-60 per week. His process for development is slow, but deliberate - and successful. With the right coach, I suppose you could build up most any program. When recruiting, coaches mostly don't have to feel insecure about not being a big-time program, as you're not competing in an arena with thousands of spectators. If a coach at a non-power school can build good rapport with a recruit, he can easily sign several high-profiled runners.

I've never been to UO. So, is the Eugene community as crazy about their XC/Track teams as many around the country make it out to be? Can't imagine what it's like being in an area where runners actually get widespread notoriety for their performances. I think just about every elite runner in high school would have Oregon in their top 5 wish list for an ideal place to run collegiately.

NAU has a long, stable history of success. And Flagstaff is at an elevation around 7,000 feet. I can't imagine them not being a nationally elite program anytime soon. I did a few workouts with one of their runners a few years back. He was consistently doing 100+ miles a week, IIRC. The crazy thing about these top programs, is they're able to snag several 4:15-4:20 milers as walk-ons. When you have 5-10 that fit that mold, a few of them will eventually be really solid contributors. It is interesting how mid-majors can compete with the big schools.

Portland has a solid track record. Cool to see it's not just one school in the state that consistently does well on the national stage. Furman, which is a little over an hour from my hometown, finished in the top 15 last year for men and women. I've heard they ideally like to redshirt their freshmen, and start out with low mileage, around 55-60 per week. His process for development is slow, but deliberate - and successful. With the right coach, I suppose you could build up most any program. When recruiting, coaches mostly don't have to feel insecure about not being a big-time program, as you're not competing in an arena with thousands of spectators. If a coach at a non-power school can build good rapport with a recruit, he can easily sign several high-profiled runners.

Eugene definitely has a strong running community but honestly the whole state has a pretty strong running community. I'm not sure the running community is a whole lot bigger than it is in NC or VA. Both states have pretty strong running communities. But Hayward Field getting to host many of the major events definitely brings in more non-runners than I've seen anywhere else.

Reactions: dukedevilz
running community but honestly the whole state has a pretty strong running community. I'm not sure the running community is a whole lot bigger than it is in NC or VA. Both states have pretty strong running communities. But Hayward Field getting to host many of the major events definitely brings in more non-runners than I've seen anywhere else.

I love how they're often hosting nationals for NCAAs, as well as the Olympic Trials. You want to compete in a packed house, and no one does it better than Tracktown USA.

Eugene definitely has a strong running community but honestly the whole state has a pretty strong running community. I'm not sure the running community is a whole lot bigger than it is in NC or VA. Both states have pretty strong running communities. But Hayward Field getting to host many of the major events definitely brings in more non-runners than I've seen anywhere else.

I would put Oregon as whole up there.

When you are talking about sprinters no one does it better than Texas.
The state has a whole and the neighboring states have dominated track and field.

UIL state championships in Texas at the high school level is crazy

Long distance isn't really a big time but the 100,200, 400 are.

I would put Oregon as whole up there.

When you are talking about sprinters no one does it better than Texas.
The state has a whole and the neighboring states have dominated track and field.

UIL state championships in Texas at the high school level is crazy

Long distance isn't really a big time but the 100,200, 400 are.

Good point. I had long distance in my mind but you are 100% right about sprinters.

Prefontaine is a great movie. Hayward is definitely the mecca.

Don't give me that. Anyone can get into and graduate from DePaul. You are just lazy

big talk from a guy who might've gone to the lowest ranked academic school in the Big10. Did you even go there? I don't see your badge.

But you are pretty right about DePaul. Not too hard to get into. The Law school is middle of the road as well. But at the end of the day it's 25 years later and I've yet to have a client in my office look at my diplomas and say nope, not good enough.

big talk from a guy who might've gone to the lowest ranked academic school in the Big10. Did you even go there? I don't see your badge.

But you are pretty right about DePaul. Not too hard to get into. The Law school is middle of the road as well. But at the end of the day it's 25 years later and I've yet to have a client in my office look at my diplomas and say nope, not good enough.

Shut your dick hole, Crisco Anus

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
If you live in the state of Michigan and didn’t go to either college, you’re a UM fan. It’s just how it goes. I don’t know a lot of MSU fans who aren’t alumni, but I know plenty of UM fans who didn’t attend UM.

I have no problem with them liking UM, but man, there’s a large faction of people who have no relation to either school that love UM and actively root against MSU.

Feels good

How about we just remove the Kentucky, duke, and North Carolina fans? Maybe 5 percent of them on this board attended those schools

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
How about we just remove the Kentucky, duke, and North Carolina fans? Maybe 5 percent of them on this board attended those schools
1516123fd2869076f42ae751920974b8.gif

So it would be a Tennessee fan, a Virginia fan, a Syracuse fan that doesn't post about basketball at all, a few Louisville fans, some South Carolina fans every few years, you and then the B1G thread. Sounds exciting.

Holy crap

QdjQM89zMmytp4Cq7aw4TUZpaSj-9pBEMPliwbjuGDw.png

I think this place would be better if you could easily identify who went to a particular school and who didn't. Personally, I think people that graduated from a school have more street cred than someone who is just a fan of that school. I'd like to be able to identify who is who so I can treat people differently based on if they went to the school or not. Also I should get an extra special badge because I have 2 degrees from DePaul (BA, JD).

And stylistically speaking, don't make the badges look like gold stars that we wear on our sleeves. Me and @jhmossy wouldn't like that.

Mods?
UK class of ‘95.

If you live in the state of Michigan and didn’t go to either college, you’re a UM fan. It’s just how it goes. I don’t know a lot of MSU fans who aren’t alumni, but I know plenty of UM fans who didn’t attend UM.

I have no problem with them liking UM, but man, there’s a large faction of people who have no relation to either school that love UM and actively root against MSU.

In my experience it depends what season it is. Sparty shows up a lot more often with non-grads in say.....February/March.

From my experience, this is true. My Michigan relatives all root for UofM over State unless they went to State. When I ask why, some can’t even explain why. They just think of UofM as the state’s college team.

I think talent among minor sports is more evenly distributed because of lack of TV or need for exposure for pro prospect. A track athlete can just as easily become an Olympic contender at a low or mid major as a major program, depending on coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT