ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Rule Changes.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
— Widen the lane to 16 feet

— Reset team fouls at the 10:00 minute mark of each half and begin double bonus on the 5th team foul of each 10-minute segment. This would eliminate the one-and-one free throw.

— Allow laptops, tablets, or similar devices in the bench area for coaching purposes.

— Adopt a modified six-foul rule with the following provisions:

1. A player may not commit more than three personal/technical fouls in any one half. Penalty – disqualification.

2. A player may commit three personal/technical fouls in the first half and three in the second half. In this case, the player is allowed six fouls before being disqualified.

3. A player may commit two personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on his fourth personal/technical in the second half. Total – six fouls.

4. A player may commit zero or one personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on the player’s fourth personal/technical in the second half. See #1.

— Award possession of the ball to the defense when they create a held ball situation.

— Limit the number of timeouts that may be called by any one team in the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period to two.

— In the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period, allow instant replay review of potential shot-clock violations when the shot is unsuccessful.

— Eliminate the ten-second backcourt rule.

— Permit the use of Instant Replay on all basket interference/goaltending calls throughout the game, but only when a call has been made by an official.

— Permit a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

— Eliminate offensive basket interference after the ball hits the ring or flange. Would make the rule consistent with the FIBA rule.

— Adjust the traveling rule to allow a player to take two steps after lifting his pivot foot which would make moves such as the spin move, Euro-step and step-back shot legal.

— Eliminate the five second closely guarded rule.

— Reset team fouls at the 10:00 minute mark of each half and begin double bonus on the 5th team foul of each 10-minute segment. This would eliminate the one-and-one free throw.

— Allow laptops, tablets, or similar devices in the bench area for coaching purposes.

1. A player may not commit more than three personal/technical fouls in any one half. Penalty – disqualification.

2. A player may commit three personal/technical fouls in the first half and three in the second half. In this case, the player is allowed six fouls before being disqualified.

3. A player may commit two personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on his fourth personal/technical in the second half. Total – six fouls.

4. A player may commit zero or one personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on the player’s fourth personal/technical in the second half. See #1.

— Award possession of the ball to the defense when they create a held ball situation.

— Limit the number of timeouts that may be called by any one team in the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period to two.

— In the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period, allow instant replay review of potential shot-clock violations when the shot is unsuccessful.

— Permit the use of Instant Replay on all basket interference/goaltending calls throughout the game, but only when a call has been made by an official.

— Permit a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

— Eliminate offensive basket interference after the ball hits the ring or flange. Would make the rule consistent with the FIBA rule.

— Adjust the traveling rule to allow a player to take two steps after lifting his pivot foot which would make moves such as the spin move, Euro-step and step-back shot legal.

I really like most of that. Especially the foul rules. Didn't like the idea of just going with 6, but going with 6 with rules that don't allow you to just hack your way through a game makes that a lot better.

Also love the rule about being able to turn down free throws in favor of possession in teh final 2 minutes of a game.

Reactions: sgrooms
I don't like eliminating the 10 second backcourt violation. I prefer a faster pace. I'm also not sure about the basket interference change, to mimic FIBA's rule.

The rest I'm good with.
yep I agree with that as well.

What's wrong with the 10 second call? What benefit does the game have by removing it? If anything they should go to 8 seconds like the NBA.

The free throw rule at the end of games wouldn’t change much, but it’d be interesting to see the coach’s decisions when a 60% FT shooter is fouled. Do you take the free throws or risk having to inbound the ball again to a better FT shooter which is always hairy at the end of game.

The free throw rule at the end of games wouldn’t change much, but it’d be interesting to see the coach’s decisions when a 60% FT shooter is fouled. Do you take the free throws or risk having to inbound the ball again to a better FT shooter which is always hairy at the end of game.

that's exactly what I'm looking forward to, seeing coaches have to decide if they want the ball or the free throws.

Watching a coach agonize over whether or not to allow a 60% FT shooting freshman to go to the line at the end of a close game with the current transfer rules hanging over his head is gonna be pure entertainment.

I’m okay with some, don’t like the others. I think the 10 second backcourt rule is good because it keeps a good pace and can be compelling to the viewers. I like eliminating the 5 second closely guarded rule as it makes defensive skillsets more important and brings an interesting strategy to tense parts of the game.

I kind of wish all replays were done by a single sideline ref who has 15 seconds to make a call once he is provided the feed. All players and court refs are in position to begin active play immediately as if the original call will be correct. I don’t really like it feels like a beneficial free timeout seeing each team re-huddle for a minute or longer while the refs chat over a monitor. You all probably watch a lot more basketball than me but feels like replays in basketball can generally be determined pretty quickly.

Reactions: cdbearde
Do not like eliminating 10 second, or the 5 second closely guarded. I hated it when they eliminated the closely guarded on the dribble. THought it was dumb. Do not like the FT choice, either. Its dumb. I do like the 6 fouls. IMO, it keeps your better players on the floor---esp in the first half.

I'd like to see----Defensive 3 seconds. POE on offensive 3 seconds.

4 fouls in the first half would disqualify you for the game or just the rest of the half?

If I’m reading that right, and you get dq’d from the game for 4 fouls in the first half, that is very very dumb.

4 fouls in the first half would disqualify you for the game or just the rest of the half?

If I’m reading that right, and you get dq’d from the game for 4 fouls in the first half, that is very very dumb.

I saw that as well. Probably reading too much into it. I could be wrong, but I think you can only get 3 fouls in teh first half before you have to sit down the rest of the half. Not a DQ, just not allowed back in till the second half.

I saw that as well. Probably reading too much into it. I could be wrong, but I think you can only get 3 fouls in teh first half before you have to sit down the rest of the half. Not a DQ, just not allowed back in till the second half.
Yep. It is was a little confusing to me at first glance too but reading it more carefully it would be DQ for the half. How could a player be allowed three more fouls in the second half if it DQ'ed a player from the game in the first half? I like the qualifiers so a coach can't bank a players fouls too.

Like others, I would like to see the 10 second rule remain.

ADVERTISEMENT