ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: When Does The Modern Era Begin?

When Does The Modern Era For College Basketball Begin?

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Sometime over the summer I will gather all the numbers available and use 14 or 15 metrics to calculate the greatest teams of the modern era. The obvious question, of course, is when does the modern era actually begin?

Here's a little more info on schools leaving conferences. As many know, 1975 is the first time we actually saw at-large bids in the tournament. No conference had more than 1 at-large bid, however. And 9 of the 16 at-large bids in 1975 went to independents. As the field expanded, schools were figuring it out that there was less opportunity to make the tournament if you're not aligned with a conference. In 1979, there were 68 independents. By 1980, there were only 21. Most notably, that's the year where the Big East was formed. In that same year, only 3 of the 23 at-large bids went to independents.

I'm also pretty certain that 1975 is the year where regions weren't broken up by geographic location. I see that Alabama was in the West in 1975, and K-State and NMSU were in the East.

In the the 50's, 60's, and early 70's, you already knew which region you'd play in the tournament. That's why a lot of people discount some of those UCLA titles a bit. They won 4 NCAA Tournament games, and a lot of those Regional Semifinal wins were against the likes of New Mexico State, Long Beach State, and Wyoming.

I voted 1985, but I wouldn't say that basketball between 1975-1984 wasn't part of the modern era.
The only reason I didn't vote 1975 is because it is not equal to our "current" format, which started in 1985. It's really apple and oranges to compare.
Also, KU sucked during that timespan.....

Reactions: dukedevilz
I voted 1985, but I wouldn't say that basketball between 1975-1984 wasn't part of the modern era.
The only reason I didn't vote 1975 is because it is not equal to our "current" format, which started in 1985. It's really apple and oranges to compare.
Also, KU sucked during that timespan.....

1975 certainly has some semblance of the modern era. Freshmen were playing, at-large bids were allowed, regions weren't determined by geographic location, and most schools had several African-Americans playing on their squads.

The game has evolved bit by bit. The difference between 1984 and 1985 is obviously pretty slim. But, how the game was played in 1984 is still noticeably different to how the game is played today, most notably the shot clock and 3-point line. The cutoff year is always going to be subjective, of course.

Despite my comment in the other thread, I actually support 1980 ... the difference between a team in 1984 and 1985 isn't so much that the former's accomplishments shouldn't be counted as "modern" ... 1980 gets my vote. It's a nice cutoff for a new decade and era of basketball, IMO, however subjective.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Despite my comment in the other thread, I actually support 1980 ... the difference between a team in 1984 and 1985 isn't so much that the former's accomplishments shouldn't be counted as "modern" ... 1980 gets my vote. It's a nice cutoff for a new decade and era of basketball, IMO, however subjective.

1980 or 1985 seem like the two most sensible answers. Conferences really started to shape up in 1980 and the field was at 48 teams at that point... I think most like 1985, myself included, because of the consistency with the Round of 64 format.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Look...those voting for 1980, just come out and say it. It's because it makes your team look better. 🤣
It absolutely makes my team look better, haha … but 1985, right in the middle of a decade that still seems so iconic to me as the first “modern” decade of sports on TV, still just doesn’t feel right.

You are telling me phi slamma jamma and Michael Jordan at UNC arent modern era? That is why I chose 1980.
Next it'll be "you're telling me Magic Johnson isn't modern era?" And then the one UCLA fan will pop in with "you're telling me Wooden isn't modern era?" 🤣

Gotta draw the line somewhere, and most would say '85.

Reactions: F-Duke
Next it'll be "you're telling me Magic Johnson isn't modern era?" And then the one UCLA fan will pop in with "you're telling me Wooden isn't modern era?" 🤣

Gotta draw the line somewhere, and most would say '85.

You are just saying that because Kansas haD a couple rough years in the early 80s, lol. )

Before 3pt shots it was a different game. 1987 started 3 pointers, so then.

Reactions: cdbearde
Can't we say the same for other votes?
85 is getting most of the votes because it’s the most widely-accepted. Everybody who voted for 1980 is literally just hoping to squeeze some extra accomplishments in there. 🤣

You are just saying that because Kansas haD a couple rough years in the early 80s, lol. )
Eh, moving it back to ‘80 wouldn’t change a lot for KU. Winning percentage goes down a little, but not a big deal. It would give UNC another title though.

Reactions: hawkit3113
85 is getting most of the votes because it’s the most widely-accepted. Everybody who voted for 1980 is literally just hoping to squeeze some extra accomplishments in there. 🤣
d483afb0b2ba2cc071fb20167fd271b2.jpg

1912_ford_model_t_15610405946f7ebd598f3c191912_ford_model_t_15609899438764da66ec02cb-b8eb-4f38-96ea-160c61454901-z7yvJr-e1561040625219.jpg

UK fans think these brought on the modern age.

Eh, moving it back to ‘80 wouldn’t change a lot for KU. Winning percentage goes down a little, but not a big deal. It would give UNC another title though.
That happens with blue bloods. Give a couple years and one of them probably have a few stats to add.

Also, that's why it's silly to use selective time frames. Any narrative can be sold when creating said narrative.

Reactions: cdbearde
He's just hoping to squeeze out KU's 60's/70's. Those teams are dead to him. He could just come out to say "i'm bandwagon" and hate KU before the "modern era".

Pretty much everything I’ve seen has either ‘87 or ‘85. Can’t say I’ve seen any arguments for the 60s. 🤣

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
You are telling me phi slamma jamma and Michael Jordan at UNC arent modern era? That is why I chose 1980.
Phi Slamma Jamma was 1983/84
UNC won the title in 1982----But MJ was a frosh. NPOY in 1984.

Yes those TEAMS are close to teams of today, and how they played---esp Houston. EVen Gtown.

IMO, Phi Slama Jamma, Louisville as well, Jordan, etc, etc.....are closer to 1985, then to 1980.

Phi Slamma Jamma was 1983/84
UNC won the title in 1982----But MJ was a frosh. NPOY in 1984.

Yes those TEAMS are close to teams of today, and how they played---esp Houston. EVen Gtown.

IMO, Phi Slama Jamma, Louisville as well, Jordan, etc, etc.....are closer to 1985, then to 1980.

Still 80s

I think there's a good argument for it to be when the field finally expanded to 64 teams, however, IMO the three point line was such a huge change to the game. It was hard for me to pick, but I went with the 3 point line. Players like Rick Mount from Purdue would have been a monster (he scored 61 vs Iowa and still holds the B10 record 53 years later). IMO, the game changed so much with this one addition.

ADVERTISEMENT