POLL: Most Important Historical Event(s)

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by sgacock, May 20, 2019.

?

Poll: What are the THREE most importsnt historical events

1. Invention of An Alphabet

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Birth and Teachings of Christ

37 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Fall of Rome

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Birth and Teachings of Muhammed

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Mongol Conquest

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Printing Press, Reformation & Renaissance

29 vote(s)
    37.2%
  7. European Expansion to the World

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  8. Industrial Revolution & Computer Revolution

35 vote(s)
    44.9%
  9. The Rise of Republics (American French & Progeny)

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sgacock

sgacock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Saw some articles on the ten most important events in history and thought that none of them came close on over five. Many included World War I - which I don't consider that important. Yeah, it was big and the treaties that followed influenced WWI, led to Bolshevik revolution etc, etc. But it is not something that has had or will have a major impact on humanity for 500 years.

Anyway, I'm listing nine that I think are most important with a write in space. Please please discuss.

Note that Iist Gutenberg, Rennaissance and Reformation together. I also list the American and French revolutions together.

2. JohnShadows

JohnShadows Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thankfully, my fellow Gamecock didn't list "The firing of Brad Scott". It was called for, but not that important.

ImmaTiger, Matte Black and sgacock like this.
  3. jeans15

jeans15 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

When that asteroid that had a .0000000000001 chance of hitting earth crashed here creating life.

Matte Black and sgacock like this.
  4. legalizequack

legalizequack Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The most important event hasn't happened yet IMO:

The 4th Industrial Revolution: The age of AI

fleckabelly likes this.
  5. sgacock

Expand Collapse

Didn't create life, it destroyed the dinosaurs.

Oh, you mean the other one that had a .0000000000001 chance of hitting earth

jeans15 likes this.
  6. Matte Black

Matte Black Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Let me check my FB real quick and I'll let you know

7. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You didn’t list the one that first popped in my mind: domestication of plants and/or irrigation.

Being able to reliably grow enough food for an entire community/tribe/group allowed us to free up lots of time that was otherwise spent hunting and gathering all day long. This extra time is what was catalytic for things like advancements in math, science, law, and written language.

8. JohnShadows

Expand Collapse

That was more a phase than an event. But I agree in principle, mankind shifted from hunter-gatherer society to agriculture. It made for more stable, long-lasting societies.

Went with the alphabet, printing press, and computer. Revolutions in media are usually seismic. Might have put Martin Luther on the list, too - freeing a large percentage of Western Europe form control by the Catholic Church was key to progress towards secular governance.

9. leatherhemet

leatherhemet Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The invention of the sun dress.

fleckabelly, LSU02 and jeans15 like this.
  10. sgacock

Expand Collapse

Excellent point. Agriculture afforded the wealth for educational development on the Nile, Tigris/Euphrates and the Chinese River delta around Peking.

UCFhonors likes this.
  11. Starscream.

Starscream. Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Birth and teachings of Christ obviously #1, then in my opinion this is a close 2nd when this was first released........

[​IMG]

The world changed after Dirt was released in 1992, we never saw anything like that before and still haven't today.

WestTexasRaider likes this.
  12. sgacock

Expand Collapse

Luther is encompassed in the Reformation. An extremely important part if not the main catalyst for the Reformation.

JohnShadows likes this.
  13. JohnShadows

Expand Collapse

Ah, I see. Missed that part of it

14. UKRob 73

UKRob 73 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

UK having a 5 year win streak against the gamecocks is my vote.

CB3UK likes this.
  15. LovelyLudwigVan

LovelyLudwigVan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The Christian ideals of truth, freedom, and human dignity gave rise to the necessary conditions for scientific exploration, industrial progress, and modernity. Modernity itself then challenged presuppositions on which Christianity is based, resulting in Nietzsche's famous quip, "God is dead." But the rise of modernity and recession of traditional moral beliefs led to large-scale human catastrophes in the 20th century. Of the hellish conditions of Soviet gulags, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote, "It is because men have forgotten God, that's why all of this has happened."

It seems, then, a new way of thinking is needed that recognizes the power of human intellect and scientific progress without denying the necessity of moral values and transcendental ideals, which, by nature, cannot be discovered through science.

16. LovelyLudwigVan

Expand Collapse

By the way, OP, invention of the internet should be on this list.

17. sgacock

Expand Collapse

Industrial Revolution & Computer Revolution (See # 8)

18. sgacock

Expand Collapse

That could be an outcome of
    Industrial Revolution & Computer Revolution

12Ghost12, LSU02 and Duckdude73 like this.
  19. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Agriculture is one of the biggest events if not the biggest events of human history. Trade is 2nd. But those evolved over hundreds of years before they made a significant impact.

The movable type printing press change the world within 50 years by comparison.

I went with:
    1. * Printing Press, Reformation & Renaissance

2. Industrial Revolution & Computer Revolution
    3. The Rise of Republics (American French & Progeny)

Really its the movable type printing press #1, Industrial Revolution #2, then everything else.

The information age / internet could be bigger but it's too new to measure the impact.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

20. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Definitely was a phase over centuries. But so was pretty much every option on the list.

21. sgacock

Expand Collapse

That was pretty much a criterion for my selections. As I said earlier World War I didn't make the list. Although it was a huge event, it is not an onward, developing thing that will have direct effects over centuries. Same could be said of WWII, the Civil War and most wars - though the Roman Conquests (many wars fought over centuries) almost made the list

22. legalizequack

legalizequack Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think AI will be more impacting that the Industrial and Computer Revolution

WestTexasRaider likes this.
  23. LovelyLudwigVan

Expand Collapse

I would've separated the two. The Industrial Revolution occurred in the 1700's and 1800's. The computer revolution started in the 1980's and is progressing on a much faster scale.

LSU02 and Duckdude73 like this.
  24. TeganInBama

TeganInBama Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Fire + meat = delicious

25. sgacock

Expand Collapse

Only 10 slots. So, I had to do some combining.

The computer revolution is arguably an extension of the industrial revolution. They are grouped together because they represent the "Technology revolution" (printing press could be with them but it's impact was more intellectual than technological)

26. texaggie95

texaggie95 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Space exploration should be on the list. Without it much of what we take for granted today wouldn't exist, nor many advances in modern medicine, chemistry, physics, mathematics and even human physiology likely would not have been made.

Apart from that the Alphabet (written word) and Industrial Revolution/Digital advancements are obvious. The religious ones have caused more problems than they've solved to be honest, and still cause issues today.

ImmaTiger likes this.
  27. Tidaltown

Tidaltown Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The author of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" agrees with you.

28. LovelyLudwigVan

Expand Collapse

I hear ya.

For me, the significance of the Industrial Revolution is tied in with the significance of the Enlightenment -- man discovered the means by which he could deconstruct heretofore supernatural phenomena, and thus deconstruct God. I would argue Darwin's Origin of Species, Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra, and Marx's Communist Manifesto outweigh anything that occurred in the 20th century, because they provided the intellectual foundations upon which the uber-materialistic/anti-religious ideologies of the 20th century were based. Those ideologies led to the slaughter of millions.

29. Tidaltown

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yet fortunately or unfortunately (depending upon one's view), most every culture to ever exist or presently existing was or is based on a religion.

30. Tidaltown

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Excellent point. It reminds me of Pacino's speech in "The Devil's Advocate" wherein he (Satan) states "Is there any doubt that the Twentieth Century was all mine? All of it. I'm peaking."

31. texaggie95

Expand Collapse

Which has unfortunately held back scientific discovery due to outdated notions. I'd argue that religion has done more to stop advancement than it has to move it forward.

ceilo77 likes this.
  32. leatherhemet

Expand Collapse

Not sure about deconstructing God, the supernatural. South Korea has experienced a technological and Industrial explosion in the last 60 years, all while going from 1% Christian to 40% Christian. China and parts of Africa are along a similar path.

People in many parts of the modern world would very much disagree with you about the miraculous and/or supernatural.

33. Tidaltown

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe, and with all religions through the 19th Century, but only with Islam since then. Religion is a double edged sword. It both benefits and harms societies depending upon how it is used by man.

leatherhemet likes this.
  34. leatherhemet

Expand Collapse

That's not true..Korea, China and Africa demonstrate something different.

Cavgator likes this.
  35. texaggie95

Expand Collapse

Definitely to a lesser extent these days. But here in Kansas we occasionally get a few jewels. Like when they wanted to change the curriculum to teach kids intelligent design as 'science' back in 2005, rather than that crazy notion of evolution.

36. Tidaltown

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I believe you can draw a somewhat straight line between the deconstruction of God and Stalin, Hitler, and Mao. After all, without God, everything is permissible, or so claims the character Ivan Karamazov.

12Ghost12, Cavgator and leatherhemet like this.
  37. Tidaltown

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I would think, even in Kansas, they would teach both theories rather than omit evolution theory in its entirety. It cannot be that bad there.

38. texaggie95

Expand Collapse

Is Galileo on that list? I'm guessing his opinion may differ.

39. leatherhemet

Expand Collapse

The Myth that Religion is the #1 Cause of War
    by Robin Schumacher
    edited by Matt Slick
    4/22/2012

https://carm.org/religion-cause-war

Atheists and secular humanists consistently make the claim that religion is the #1 cause of violence and war throughout the history of mankind. One of hatetheism's key cheerleaders, Sam Harris, says in his book The End of Faith that faith and religion are “the most prolific source of violence in our history.”1

While there’s no denying that campaigns such as the Crusades and the Thirty Years’ War foundationally rested on religious ideology, it is simply incorrect to assert that religion has been the primary cause of war. Moreover, although there’s also no disagreement that radical Islam was the spirit behind 9/11, it is a fallacy to say that all faiths contribute equally where religiously-motivated violence and warfare are concerned.

An interesting source of truth on the matter is Philip and Axelrod’s three-volume Encyclopedia of Wars, which chronicles some 1,763 wars that have been waged over the course of human history. Of those wars, the authors categorize 123 as being religious in nature,2 which is an astonishingly low 6.98% of all wars. However, when one subtracts out those waged in the name of Islam (66), the percentage is cut by more than half to 3.23%.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That means that all faiths combined – minus Islam – have caused less than 4% of all of humanity’s wars and violent conflicts. Further, they played no motivating role in the major wars that have resulted in the most loss of life.

Kind of puts a serious dent into Harris’ argument, doesn’t it?

The truth is, non-religious motivations and naturalistic philosophies bear the blame for nearly all of humankind’s wars. Lives lost during religious conflict pales in comparison to those experienced during the regimes who wanted nothing to do with the idea of God – something showcased in R. J. Rummel’s work Lethal Politics and Death by Government:

Non-Religious Dictator Lives Lost
    • Joseph Stalin - 42,672,000
    • Mao Zedong - 37,828,000
    • Adolf Hitler - 20,946,000
    • Chiang Kai-shek - 10,214,000
    • Vladimir Lenin - 4,017,000
    • Hideki Tojo - 3,990,000
    • Pol Pot - 2,397,0003
    Rummel says: “Almost 170 million men, women and children have been shot, beaten, tortured, knifed, burned, starved, frozen, crushed or worked to death; buried alive, drowned, hung, bombed or killed in any other of a myriad of ways governments have inflicted death on unarmed, helpless citizens and foreigners. The dead could conceivably be nearly 360 million people. It is though our species has been devastated by a modern Black Plague. And indeed it has, but a plague of Power, not germs.”4

The historical evidence is quite clear: Religion is not the #1 cause of war.

If religion can’t be blamed for most wars and violence, then what is the primary cause? The same thing that triggers all crime, cruelty, loss of life, and other such things. Jesus provides the answer very clearly: “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man,” (Mark 7:21–23).

James (naturally) agrees with Christ when he says: “What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel,” (James 4:1–2).

In the end, the evidence shows that the atheists are quite wrong about the wars they claim to so desperately despise. Sin is the #1 cause of war and violence, not religion, and certainly not Christianity.

40. leatherhemet

Expand Collapse