ADVERTISEMENT

Police-Beating Video Season Warming Up

I automatically side with the police on just about everything. Just too hard of a job for a human to have.

But christ almighty, its just video after video after video. I know that, compared to the overall number of interactions it is small, but A) it is too much and B) I worry about what ISN'T caught on tape.

Thank god for the good ones. Hope we can gradually get rid of the bad ones.

Police officers can't afford to let fear or anger govern their actions. I know it's a high stress job but when you're just an average citizen with a gun and immense, often unchecked authority, you have a responsibility to remove emotion (at least the negative emotions) from your decision making. At least one of these officers obviously wasn't able to do that. Power tripping a-hole.

It goes without saying that the overwhelming majority of police are chill dudes just trying to do a good job. But police forces across the country really need to do a better job of weeding out the egotistical scumbags who think they have supreme authority to mess with people because of their badge.

Police officers can't afford to let fear or anger govern their actions. I know it's a high stress job but when you're just an average citizen with a gun and immense, often unchecked authority, you have a responsibility to remove emotion (at least the negative emotions) from your decision making. At least one of these officers obviously wasn't able to do that. Power tripping a-hole.

It goes without saying that the overwhelming majority of police are chill dudes just trying to do a good job. But police forces across the country really need to do a better job of weeding out the egotistical scumbags who think they have supreme authority to mess with people because of their badge.
And an overwhelming portion of their incidents with people are good. It’s just the ridiculously small incidents that are terrible that get the most outrage (some rightfully so).

Bets on whether or not the first officer to throw a punch gets fired? I'm betting he doesn't. Probably a great cop who was just trying to protect himself and his fellow officers, amirite?

Definitely excessive force. I think a simple sit down or I'll tase your ass would have sufficed. If not tase away.... Punches in the face for submission not a good look. The perp didn't look all that combative until the police grabbed in a violent manner. But the dude should have sit down... I think both sides did poorly. Maybe a do over?

Definitely excessive force. I think a simple sit down or I'll tase your ass would have sufficed. If not tase away.... Punches in the face for submission not a good look. The perp didn't look all that combative until the police grabbed in a violent manner. But the dude should have sit down... I think both sides did poorly. Maybe a do over?

I think this would have been more suitable:

Officer: Sir, could you sit down for us?
Guy: No thank you, I'd prefer to stand.
Officer: For everyone's safety, I'd like you to have a seat until we sort this out.
Guy: Am I being detained?
Officer: Yes.
Guy: What for?
Officer: We received a call of a man fitting your description doing (idk, something illegal).
Guy: Okay, I wasn't doing anything illegal. Here's my identification, what questions do you have for me?
Officer: First, please sit down.
Guy: No thank you.
Officer: Okay, I'm going to have an officer pat you down for our safety.
Guy: Okay.
Officer: Now, why are you here, where are you going, etc, etc.
Guy: Answers questions respectfully.

I think getting assaulted, tased, pepper sprayed, or shot by a police officer because he asked you to sit and you didn't want to sit is batshit crazy. You should have the option to stand or sit...or squat...or kneel...or do a handstand if you're simply being asked questions by a police officer and aren't under arrest.

Guy: No thank you, I'd prefer to stand.
Officer: For everyone's safety, I'd like you to have a seat until we sort this out.
Guy: Am I being detained?
Officer: Yes.
Guy: What for?
Officer: We received a call of a man fitting your description doing (idk, something illegal).
Guy: Okay, I wasn't doing anything illegal. Here's my identification, what questions do you have for me?
Officer: First, please sit down.
Guy: No thank you.
Officer: Okay, I'm going to have an officer pat you down for our safety.
Guy: Okay.
Officer: Now, why are you here, where are you going, etc, etc.
Guy: Answers questions respectfully.

I think getting assaulted, tased, pepper sprayed, or shot by a police officer because he asked you to sit and you didn't want to sit is batshit crazy. You should have the option to stand or sit...or squat...or kneel...or do a handstand if you're simply being asked questions by a police officer and aren't under arrest.

The outrageous thing is they did pat him down and found nothing then proceeded to think 1-6 was a threat for their safety. This is what bad cops use....he was a threat....sure.... It makes you think what we catch on camera now....what guns were planted? How many cops have lied in the past and people are spending time in jail for it? The police need to be held responsible and be charged, prosecuted and convicted of assault. Spend some time in jail because this is assault.

Is the guy getting beat by the cop white or latino? trying to figure out my level of outrage.

That's racist. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity. White, black, Asian, native, and Pacific Islander are the race options.

Guy: No thank you, I'd prefer to stand....

I agree. Police have the right to give directives, but a refusal to do something pretty minor shouldn't escalate like that. Go to Plan B. Surely they've dealt with standing people before. If he wants to make refusing to sit a matter of pride, don't engage and make it a matter of your pride, too.

Reactions: brooky03
Bets on whether or not the first officer to throw a punch gets fired? I'm betting he doesn't. Probably a great cop who was just trying to protect himself and his fellow officers, amirite?
If he does get fired, (which he should) it would be because he was black, amirite?

I couldn’t get the video to play before, but shit, that cop needs to get fired ASAP. He straight knocked that guy the **** out. Jesus.

I couldn’t get the video to play before, but shit, that cop needs to get fired ASAP. He straight knocked that guy the **** out. Jesus.
I don't like how none of the other cops stepped in. They knew he was out of line. Really, it was just the one cop that did the beating.

I don't like how none of the other cops stepped in. They knew he was out of line. Really, it was just the one cop that did the beating.

Well that is part of the problem. They are like a gang. They won't rat the others out. There was a raping one time (I believe in NYC) and a person taken into custody said she was raped. He said it was consensual (which is legal for cops to have sex with people in custody....which is absurd and messed up). Cops showed up to her in the hospital trying to get her to change her stance and covered their badges, etc.....there are no good cops in these situations when you let another cop get away with this kind of stuff. Accountability.

Reactions: KisteK and ceilo77
Thats one of the biggest issues, is other cops covering up.

And it is SO hard, because these are guys who work together every day. Think about the people you work with every single day. But cops are doing it in the highest pressure, highest intensity, life-threatening situations. Of COURSE you develop bonds that are insanely tight... and sometimes those bonds can bring people to do things that those outside of those relationships would never imagine someone doing.

Its a hard job, being a cop, and there are so many issues that go along with it.

^Like clockwork, someone wants to deflect from addressing bad cops with examples of good cops in a conversation where no one is denying the overwhelming % of cops who do a good job.

Reactions: KisteK and brooky03
^Like clockwork, someone wants to deflect from addressing bad cops with examples of good cops in a conversation where no one is denying the overwhelming % of cops who do a good job.

Just saw a video of a cop making a ESPN top 10 level tackle and shared it. But carry on.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
So there’s a homeless dude outside my office that is pretty aggressive and mostly annoying. Lots of loitering, and cat calling to women waking by, and constantly pan-handling in a harsh manner that makes most people want to avoid the block all together. Well, after many calls from neighboring businesses to the police to get the guy to move on down the road, because he consistently harrasses people, they finally showed up. I filmed a bit of it, and this one cop kept staring at me the entire time the other cops were speaking to the man. I walked up to said cops after they literally did nothing and let the guy go about his way, even though he’s a degenerate to society and a headcase, I asked if they were eventually going to do something, and the douchebag cop that was staring at me filming for literally 5 seconds only could talk about how “I filmed him, and he didn’t like that, and not to worry about that guy, but to mind my own business and not to film him again”. Even though my office is literally above said business and we deal with it everyday. Moral of the story, some cops are ****ing pussies, and love to act hard behind their gun & badge. Protect and serve! Shhhyeah...

So there’s a homeless dude outside my office that is pretty aggressive and mostly annoying. Lots of loitering, and cat calling to women waking by, and constantly pan-handling in a harsh manner that makes most people want to avoid the block all together. Well, after many calls from neighboring businesses to the police to get the guy to move on down the road, because he consistently harrasses people, they finally showed up. I filmed a bit of it, and this one cop kept staring at me the entire time the other cops were speaking to the man. I walked up to said cops after they literally did nothing and let the guy go about his way, even though he’s a degenerate to society and a headcase, I asked if they were eventually going to do something, and the douchebag cop that was staring at me filming for literally 5 seconds only could talk about how “I filmed him, and he didn’t like that, and not to worry about that guy, but to mind my own business and not to film him again”. Even though my office is literally above said business and we deal with it everyday. Moral of the story, some cops are ****ing pussies, and love to act hard behind their gun & badge. Protect and serve! Shhhyeah...

tumblr_lx3grlU8OO1qcro1do1_500.gif

Also, me filming said event was to send a 5 second video to a few co-workers in the office that something is finally being done about this crazy dude. Yet nothing was done, and somehow I was berated for filming him for a mere 5 seconds. Fascinating.

Has anyone pressed charges against said man? Cops can't just arrest a person for being homeless.

ADVERTISEMENT