ADVERTISEMENT

Phog's top 25 as of 6/2/22 post draftline

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
Will have to do another once remaining portal players commit

1. Gonzaga (I know boooo)

The seniors and juniors are proven. If nolan hickman and hunter sallis step forward it will be very difficult to beat them. It'll take another physical team to prevent GU from another FF.

Projected lineup

SR PF Drew Timme
SR PF Anton Watson
JR SF Julian Strawther
SR G Rasir Boltin
SO PG Nolan Hickman

2. Houston

PG, SG, and SF are set. Houston lost a ton but if their forwards improve and Jarace lives up to his billing Houston may be a favorite.

Projected lineup

FR PF Jarace Walker
SR F Reggie Chaney
JR G Tramon Mark
SR G Marcus Sasser
JR PG Jameel Shead

3. North Carolina

This is one I think we may regret. Getting 2022 UCLA vibes after they went to the FF in 21 as a lower seed. I worry about their defense. And Caleb love shot selection.

C JR Armando Bacot
F JR Puff Johnson
G SR Leaky Black
G JR Caleb Love
G JR RJ Davis

4. Kentucky

This truly depends on the freshman and how Antonio Reeves fits in. I think Oscar and Sahvir hit their ceilings. I don't see them averaging more than they did last year.

C SR Oscar Tshiebwe
F SR Jacob Toppin
G SR Antonio Reeves
G FR Cason Wallace
G SR Sahvir Wheeler

5. Kansas

I know this may be a bit high. I think they will be one of the best defensive teams and Self is the best coach left in the country

F SO Zach Clemence
F JR Jalen Wilson
F FR Gradey Dick
G SR Kevin McCullar
G JR Dejuan Harris

6. Baylor

Their backcourt may be the best in the country

C SR Flo Thamba
F JR Jalen Bridges
G FR Keyonte George
G JR LJ Cryer
G SR Adam Flagler

7. Duke

I think Roach will have a breakout year and lead the team. Jon is a first year coach with a young team.

C FR Derek Lively
F FR Kyle Filipowski
F FR Dariq Whitehead
G SR Kale Catchings
G JR Jeremy Roach

8. Tennessee

Judging by the rest of the teams I legit think Tenn is top 10 with their Senior leaders and quality freshmen. Obviously there is one SEC team I think is being overrated early

F SR Olivier Nkamhoua
F SR Josiah Jordan-James
F FR Julian Philips
G SR Santiago Vescovi
G SO Zakai Zeigler

9. Villanova

I love the culture there . I may be over valuing new head coach. But in a world of transfers Nova has continuity

F JR Eric Dixon
F SR Brandon Slater
F FR Cam Whitmore
G SR Caleb Daniels
G SR Justin Moore

10. UCLA

I think losing Jules Bernard was a blow. I just don't see any other top 10 team to put here as of today. Still solid and should compete with AZ for the pac 10

C FR Adem Bona
F SR Jaime Jaquez
G JR Jaylen Clark
G FR Amari Bailey
G SR Tyger Cambell

11. Texas

I am blaming last year on chemistry. I think Texas greatly underachieved. I love the addition of hunter. Defense not offense is once again the strength. Lots of seniors

F SR Dylan Disu ( I would do this over Bishop for size purposes)
F SR Timmy Allen
F FR Dillon Mitchell
G SR Marcus Carr
G SO Tyrese Hunter

12. Indiana

I think they take the biggest step up next to Creighton and should be the favs to win the B1G

F JR Trayce Jackson-Davis
F SR Race Thompson
G SR Miller Kopp
G FR Jalen Hood-Schifino
G SR Xavier Johnson

13. Arkansas

I think Arkansas may be overrated to start the year. Losing Jaylin williams is a blow . I think this is way too high. But no one ranked lower has a strong case. I think the top 12 will dominate this year and this some middling teams that fluctuate in and out of the top 25. Their starting lineup is a crap shoot

F JR Makhi Mitchell
F SR Jalen Graham
G SO Ricky Council IV
G FR Nick Smith
G JR Davonte Davis

14. Creighton

I think going from 9 seed to top 10 is a bit much. Indiana made a leap but I like their talent more... Creighton will still be dang good. I like Nova's upperclassmen to win the BE

C JR Ryan Kalkbrenner
F SO Arthur Kaluma
G JR Baylor Scheierman
G SO Trey Alexander
G SO Ryan Nembard

15. TCU

Another low seed making the leap. The talent is there. They should have beaten Arizona. This team is good.

C JR Eddie Lampkin
F SR Emmanuel Miller
F SR Chuck O'Bannon Jr
G SR Damion Baugh
G JR Mike Miles

16. Virginia

Every spot from here is an actual crapshoot they return their starters and add big scorer Ben Vander. 4 starters will be seniors

F SR Ben Vander
F SR Jayden Gardner
G SR Arman Franklin
G JR Reece Beekman
G SR Kihei Clark

17. Oregon

I love Kel'el ware and I like the transfers this year as a better fit than last year.

C FR Kel'il Ware
F SR Quincy Guerrier
G SR Jermaine Couisnard
G JR Keeshawn Barthelemy
G SR Will Richardson

18. Alabama

2 big transfers. I expect Miller to make an impact and Bediako to make a leap. Nate Oats is better than Bamas record last year.

C SO Charles Bediako
F SR Noah Gurley
F FR Brandon Miller
G JR Mark Sears
G SR Jahvon Quinerly

19. Illinois

Someone needs to be 2nd in the B1G this year. I like Mathew Mayor transfer and Terrance Shannon

F SO Dain Dainja
F SO Coleman Hawkins
F SR Mathew Mayor
G SR Terrance Shannon Jr
G FR Sky Clark

20. Dayton

Dayton was an up an down team. They were all mostly freshmen and soph's... But they are talented and well coached. Beat KU last year.

C SO DaRon Holmes
F JR Toumani Camara
G SO R.J. Blakney
G SO Kobe Elvis
G FR Malachi Smith

21. Miami

Another high scoring Miami team with suspect defense.

F JR Anthony Walker
F SO Norchad Omier
F SR Jordan Miller
G JR Isaiah Wong
G SO Nijel Pack

22. Texas A&M

They should have made the NCAA Tourney and bring back almost everyone

F SR Julius Marble
F JR Henry Coleman
G SR Tyrece Radford
G SR Dexter Dennis
G SO Wade Taylor

23. Texas Tech

I love the additions and Kevin Obanor

C SR Fardaws Aimaq
F SR Kevin Obanor
G JR D’Maurian Williams
G FR Elijah Fisher
G SR De’Vion Harmon

24. Providence

Kind of my surprise here. I will list the teams that didn't make the cut. Lots of teams could round this out. I like the coaching and transfers

C SR Ed Croswell
F SO Bryce Hopkins
G SR Noah Locke
G SO Devin Carter
G SR Jared Bynum

25. Ohio State

I love the make up of this team . B1G down and tOSU will rise

F JR Zed Key
F SR Justice Sueing
G SR Tanner Holden
G SR Sean McNeil
G SR Isaac Likekele

Missed the cut

Arizon
Uconn
Michigan
Wyoming
Florida state
Seton Hall
Michigan state
Florida

Jabari and Kessler were why Auburn was relevant last year
And auburn signed one of best center transfers in the country and a 5 star power forward for this next year to replace them. Along with another top 35 player in chance Westry. We also have the rest of our team back and I am guessing they will be improved. Flanagan should be fully recovered from his Achilles injury as well which he wasn’t last season. Auburn will be a solid top 20 team. You can’t have some others on there If you aren’t putting Auburn there

Reactions: 407nole
Honestly, I think UNC is to high and I say that because I don't know how this team will respond with all the preseason hype and the bullseye on their backs.

My way too early top 50...

1. Houston
2. North Carolina
3. Gonzaga
4. Creighton
5. Kentucky
6. Kansas
7. Arkansas
8. Baylor
9. UCLA
10. Duke
11. TCU
12. Tennessee
13. Villanova
14. Texas
15. Indiana
16. Miami
17. Oregon
18. UConn
19. Illinois
20. Florida State
21. Alabama
22. San Diego State
23. Ohio State
24. Auburn
25. Virginia
26. Arizona
27. Texas A&M
28. Xavier
29. Purdue
30. Texas Tech
31. Michigan State
32. USC
33. Dayton
34. Wyoming
35. Iowa
36. Seton Hall
37. Notre Dame
38. Florida
39. Providence
40. Saint Louis
41. LSU
42. Oklahoma
43. St. John's
44. Michigan
45. Saint Mary's
46. Oklahoma State
47. Memphis
48. Stanford
49. Virginia Tech
50. Tulane

Heck of a 48 hour span for the Zags. Bolton, Strawther, and Timme all announce they're returning. And they snag one of the best transfers in the portal, Malachi Smith.

Reactions: Villian07
Has Gonzaga improved their quicks and athletic ability? If they haven't, drop 'em.

Their best athletes were already on the team, but playing limited minutes in reserve. Hunter Sallis, Nolan Hickman, and Dom Harris (injured). Efton Reid is a good athlete for his size. Malachi Smith is a versatile player, but a relatively average athlete.

Getting those three aforementioned guards on the court more should be a net gain, IMO.

Reactions: Villian07
Their best athletes were already on the team, but playing limited minutes in reserve. Hunter Sallis, Nolan Hickman, and Dom Harris (injured). Efton Reid is a good athlete for his size. Malachi Smith is a versatile player, but a relatively average athlete.

Getting those three aforementioned guards on the court more should be a net gain, IMO.
I'm sure they will be pretty good. Maybe they break through.

Zags
Houston
UNC
Creighton
Kentucky
Baylor
Duke
UCLA
Kansas
Texas
Arkansas
TCU
Illinois
Tennessee
Indiana

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhog08
A month ago OP says blue bloods will dominate.
Now we have Zags @ 1 and Houston @ 2.
Phoggie is fickle.
I have 5 of the blue bloods in the top 10. 6 if you consider villanova a blue blood. And Indiana 12. 7 of the top 12 being blue bloods ( once again if you consider nova, which I don't)

Gonzaga getting 3 returners and Malachi smith. That is nutty. Houston is just so good. I think they will be better than last year.

Does the zags go with a small line up? It's unlike Few to do this, but I would go

Timme
Strawther
Malachi Smith
Bolton/ Sallis
Hickman

Defense would be suspect but you'd put up 95 a game in the WCC

I have 5 of the blue bloods in the top 10. 6 if you consider villanova a blue blood. And Indiana 12. 7 of the top 12 being blue bloods ( once again if you consider nova, which I don't)

Gonzaga getting 3 returners and Malachi smith. That is nutty. Houston is just so good. I think they will be better than last year.
No one considers indiana a blueblood either 😉 nova might have better argument tbh

Last edited:
Does the zags go with a small line up? It's unlike Few to do this, but I would go

Timme
Strawther
Malachi Smith
Bolton/ Sallis
Hickman

Defense would be suspect but you'd put up 95 a game in the WCC
Me and @dukedevilz had this debate in the transfer thread.

I said with timme being pretty poor defensively esp on the PNR snd the small lineup having no rim protector, seems theyd be atrocious on defense. But your right they could run and gun their way to 100ppg some nights.

But he countered that if watson or another traditional pf started(forget the kids name, former highly ranked recruit) players who, the spacing on offense would be less than ideal bc they dont have a true 4 or 5 that can stretch the floor and knock down perimeter shots, unless Timme is able to add that this offseason.

Regardless i imagine we see a bit of both lineups depending on matchups.

Im still salty we have 1 guard on the roster, and malachi smith could have come to louisville and played 35 mpg if he wanted but would rather go to gonzaga and possibly come off the bench. Guess i cant blame a former mid major for wanting to play for a true contender though 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: dukedevilz
Not sure how the minutes are going to pan out for the Zags, but Few certainly has a crazy amount of options to utilize.

The 2020-21 Gonzaga team started Watson alongside Timme for the first 17 games of the season. They went 17-0 during that stretch. Later inserted Nembhard in the starting lineup and essentially had 4 guards with Suggs, Nembhard, Ayayi, and Kispert. So, guess you could argue that both lineups worked really well for the Zags two years ago. Ayayi was a crazy good rebounder for a guard, though. And Kispert is more physical than Strawther.

The only obvious starters are Strawther and Timme. After that, I think Few just has to go with the next three best players.

And auburn signed one of best center transfers in the country and a 5 star power forward for this next year to replace them. Along with another top 35 player in chance Westry. We also have the rest of our team back and I am guessing they will be improved. Flanagan should be fully recovered from his Achilles injury as well which he wasn’t last season. Auburn will be a solid top 20 team. You can’t have some others on there If you aren’t putting Auburn there
So sweet 16 next year?

Phog's Top 25 By Conference:

A10:
1. Dayton (20th nationally)

AAC:
1. Houston (2nd nationally)

ACC:
1. North Carolina (3rd nationally)
2. Duke (7th nationally)
3. Virginia (16th nationally)
4. Miami FL (21st nationally)

Big 12:
1. Kansas (5th nationally)
2. Baylor (6th nationally)
3. Texas (11th nationally)
4. TCU (15th nationally)
5. Texas Tech (23rd nationally)

Big East:
1. Villanova (9th nationally)
2. Creighton (14th nationally)
3. Providence (24th nationally)

Big Ten:
1. Indiana (12th nationally)
2. Illinois (19th nationally)
3. Ohio State (25th nationally)

PAC 12:
1. UCLA (10th nationally)
2. Oregon (17th nationally)

SEC:
1. Kentucky (4th nationally)
2. Tennessee (8th nationally)
3. Arkansas (13th nationally)
4. Alabama (18th nationally)
5. Texas A&M (22nd nationally)

WCC:
1. Gonzaga (1st nationally)

dukedevilz Top 50 by conference:

A10:
1. Dayton (33rd nationally)
2. St. Louis (40th nationally)

AAC:
1. Houston (1st nationally)
2. Memphis (47th nationally)
3. Tulane (50th nationally)

ACC:
1. North Carolina (2nd nationally)
2. Duke (10th nationally)
3. Miami FL (16th nationally)
4. Florida State (20th nationally)
5. Virginia (25th nationally)
6. Notre Dame (37th nationally)
7. Virginia Tech (49th nationally)

Big 12:
1. Kansas (6th nationally)
2. Baylor (8th nationally)
3. TCU (11th nationally)
4. Texas (14th nationally)
5. Texas Tech (30th nationally)
6. Oklahoma (42nd nationally)
7. Oklahoma State (46th nationally)

Big East:
1. Creighton (4th nationally)
2. Villanova (13th nationally)
3. UConn (18th nationally)
4. Xavier (28th nationally)
5. Seton Hall (36th nationally)
6. Providence (39th nationally)
7. St. John's (43rd nationally)

Big Ten:
1. Indiana (15th nationally)
2. Illinois (19th nationally)
3. Ohio State (23rd nationally)
4. Purdue (29th nationally)
5. Michigan State (31st nationally)
6. Iowa (35th nationally)
7. Michigan (44th nationally)

MWC:
1. San Diego State (22nd nationally)
2. Wyoming (34th nationally)

PAC 12:
1. UCLA (9th nationally)
2. Oregon (17th nationally)
3. Arizona (26th nationally)
4. USC (32nd nationally)
5. Stanford (48th nationally)

SEC:
1. Kentucky (5th nationally)
2. Arkansas (7th nationally)
3. Tennessee (12th nationally)
4. Alabama (21st nationally)
5. Auburn (24th nationally)
6. Texas A&M (27th nationally)
7. Florida (38th nationally)
8. LSU (41st nationally)

WCC:
1. Gonzaga (3rd nationally)
2. St. Mary's (45th nationally)

Looks like another down year imo. How many of the teams are going to be better than their past season?

I don’t think Texas A and M is a top 25 team with Julius Marble as their starting C. MSU was a much better team with him off the floor last year.

I don’t think Texas A and M is a top 25 team with Julius Marble as their starting C. MSU was a much better team with him off the floor last year.

I'm a bit skeptical that he actually starts. Buzz Williams loves the 4 guard offense, and Henry Coleman has primarily been playing the 5 position at A&M. My guess, would be Andersson Garcia starts at the 4 and Coleman at the 5.

Reactions: MGC_07
Honestly, I think UNC is to high and I say that because I don't know how this team will respond with all the preseason hype and the bullseye on their backs.
I saw we signed #1 and #10 for 2023. Why not just dominate from the jump this year and get this dynasty rolling? 😉

Reactions: AWilli6995
ADVERTISEMENT