Phil Steele Makes His Picks

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by Tidaltown, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are so fvcking dense.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...art-kirk-ferentz-big-ten-football/3426881002/

Google bro. Use it. Lindy is going to be the first true freshman starting center since 2006, and they are doing it out of want not need. Kids an animal. It would in no way surprise me if M. Kallenburger was the other guard (rsfr).Nico is going to be the starting slot, which has lead Iowa in receptions the last 4 years. There are going to be alot of new faces all over the field this year and you havent read every article and looked at every photo from camp possible? I dont get you.

201 Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. dragonhawk1855

dragonhawk1855 Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

you use info printed while I go by the depth charts that is put out by HC KF. now I would guess that tne HC knows more about his starting lineup.

look at it this way you have
    RSFR Linderbaum 6'3 285 lbs
    RSJR Banwart 6'4 300 lbs

to me starting a 4th year player who has starting experience over a 2nd year player with no experience is a very good choice, Linderbaum played DL so the kid is still raw, this is the BT not FCS MVC level FB. KF being the HC and ex-head OL Coach knows what he is doing.

just like SR Reynolds, RSSR Ferguson waited behind other starters for the starting jobs, guess what RSSR's Levi and Landon both waited their turn. now LT 4* Kallenburg is waiting for his turn by backing up 3* Jackson.

this is a result of the improved recruiting,
    Daniels was rated the 3rd best center coming out of HS and started at LG before he started at C. Ferentz is talk

3. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

to show how Iowa's talent improves year over year lately
    2017 these left the team on defense
    1st Team AA MLB Jewel
    1st Team AA Jackson
    all 3 LB'rs
    1 DT
    that made 5 starters off the defense then in 2018 that had a total defensive rating of 34th place, 35th rushing defense, 38th in rush defense and 20th in scoring defense.
    the defense had 3 1st year starting LB'rs, 1 new DT a converted DE, starting 2017 DT Lattimore was hurt in August and then converted DE Brinks became a 1st year starting DT.

now if the defense with 5 1st year starters on defense can improve from the mid 30's to #6 in total defense with a year under their belt starting, there should be no drop off.
    the offense have all but 2 TE's off the squad the offense will again run thru the WR's and RB's like it has in the previous 19 seasons.

4. ugafish

ugafish Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A major flaw of scoring offense stats is that they include defensive and special team scores, plus overtime.

Another flaw of scoring offense stats is that they do it per game and not per play. If you really want to know how good an offense is at scoring, you can’t let the number of plays be a major factor in the comparison.

5. TexomaSooner49

TexomaSooner49 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

B-12 teams would have much better chances of going undefeated if they played 4 ooc games each season and were able to dodge some of their toughest in-conference foes in a lot of years like the SEC and other overbloated conferences do.

trjtrjtrj and Zgeo like this.
  6. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If I'm going to go so far as to provide you with an article. Read the damn thing. Depth charts get updated a couple times a year.

From the article.

"In early December, Kirk Ferentz exerted his authority as Iowa’s head football decision-maker to make a move that would, in one way another, shape the entire 2019 season."

"Ferentz felt the time was right to take perhaps his most promising defensive tackle (a position of significant 2019 need) and turn him into an offensive lineman".

"“He’s learning the offense fast,” said Cole Banwart, who has taken almost every rep this spring as the No. 1 right guard. “I can’t express how well he has been doing with the transition from defense to offense, especially going to center.”"

For someone who loves every detail of the program you really limit your information by only.looking at media guides that are printed a couple times a year. Seriously kilroy take some time today and read about shadrick byrd, nico ragani, and Tyler linderbaum you will have a good day. Dont just go to the message boards or some 2 deep posted 6 months ago. There are many media outlets, which also provide many photos to enjoy, there are interviews with the team and coaches you can watch and hear it from them directly.

Spoiler: 1 of the paulsens MIGHT start and that's a maybe. It's going to go TW, CB, TL, (Jeff jenkins/m.kallenburger/ Paulsen), AJackson. We have some serious depth on O and D line. Before you go handing a redshirt to a. Byrd you might want to read up a little bit coach, he "has some things no one else has" that they are trying to add to the backfield. Google kilroy, use it. Also, our starting punter isnt even on those pieces of paper you are looking at.

206 Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

the last updated depth chart came out in April after spring practice was over NOT 6 months ago, 6 months ago was December before the bowl game,
    not sure what the Paulson have done to deserve these attacks on their abilities, what did they do piss in your cheerios? or sign a autograph for you?

8. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

They have been great teammates, model student athletes, and great "faces" for the Iowa program. They have been passed on talent and skill on the field. That isnt a slight against them it is saying exactly what you were saying about the talent and depth getting better. Every handful of years Iowa "rebuilds" and we have a 7(ish) win season. This year we are only returning 10 guys and the replacements are much younger and more ready to play than a normal Iowa "rebuild" year. READ DUDE, THE INFORMATION IS FREE AND PLENTIFUL. There are many great resources.

9. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

try using their names as Initials tell me nothing.

Daniels and Wirfs are the only true FR OL to start under KF in the last decade and now all of sudden FR are going to be the new thing every year.

its obvious you know nothing about the Iowa FB program or anything about FB in general. as all you do is read a couple of article and proclaim them to be a ABSOLUTE as how it is going to go,

do me a favor and wait till the 1st game is played before declaring who is going to start and who isn't. as for Byrd neither Howa or Miller have said much if anything about him.

nor has Blaire or Tom said much either. all the talk about any RB has been about RB Goodson who as I said has been and is compared to Wadley in his ability to line up in the slot receiver position and RB just like what Wadley was able to do,

he has also been compared the RB Harmon under Hayden. if Byrd can do this then the RB room just got loaded.

the starting RB is going to be Sargeant as he had 159 carries, 745 yards and 9 TD's
    then he added 17 catches, 156 yards and 1 TD for a total of 901 yards and 10 TD's. plus he started the season as the 3rd string RB behind the season opening games starter Kelly-Martin and Toren Young who became the starter when Kelly-Martin got hurt.

Sargeant was a 1st Team JUCO AA, who broke Iowa Western CC rushing records for a single season both avg and total

I doubt that anybody will beat him out. here's a interesting note of comparison in the 2015 season these were the top 3 rushers
    RSSR Canzeri 178 carries 976 yards 18 catches 196 yards
    JR Daniels 135 carries 609 yards then in 2016 had 1000+ yards.
    RSSO Wadley 74 carries 463 yards then as a RSJR had 1000+ yards

funny how players improve from year to year.
    2018 numbers for Kelly-Martin and Young
    IKM in 7 games 97 carries 341 yards
    Young 136 carries 637 yards

it will be interesting to watch and see how much they improve year over year especially IKM who is fully healthy,

but hey you keep preaching about how you know everything that the coaches don't including HC Ferentz and OC Brian Ferentz both ex-NFL Coaches.

OL Polasek was the OC for FCS NDSU a 5 time FCS Champion under as their OC.

I will trust those 3 to know who should/will start come game time

10. Zgeo

Zgeo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Where does Steele rank Iowa? All this discussion about Iowa begs the point...

11. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

how do you get 10 out of these that started most of the season including the bowl game
    QB Stanley
    RB Sargeant
    WR Brandon Smith
    LT Jackson
    RT Wirfs
    RG Banwart
    that makes 7 right there
    on defense
    OLB Niemann
    MLB Welch
    WLB Colbert
    CB Hankins
    CB Ojemudia
    that makes 5 more last time I checked 5 + 7 = 12. hmmm wonder why this is being ignored. that does not include RB Kelly-Martin that started the 1st 3 games.

nor does it include these that started 4 games in place of injured player in FR DB Moss
    FR DB Brents
    SO DB Stone
    2017 seasons starter DT Lattimore who got hurt to start the season,
    these were the only starters that left
    Offense
    TE Fant part time starter in a 2 TE set
    TE Hockenson
    WR Easley
    C Daniel
    RG Welsh
    defense
    DE Hesse
    DE A Nelson
    DR M Nelson no relation
    DT Brinks
    SS Hooker
    FS Walk-on Gervase

and that's it. watch the games so that you will actually know somthing about the Hawkeye's starters. and when they were starters

12. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You need to discover The bullet or number function. They are under the B and I

13. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I would like to know as well and I am not going to buy his magazine either,

Zgeo likes this.
  14. SIhoosier26

SIhoosier26 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I though the mediocrity last year would do a lot to quiet down the "Harbaugh is the savior" croud.

Nope. Once again we have an extremely overrated Michigan coming into the year, with ridiculous expectations that they haven't accomplished and won't accomplish.

The reasoning here is that "they bring back 5 starters on defense". A defense that fell apart down the stretch last year and now they don't have Gary, Winovich, or Bush (their impact players on defense).

They also have to play Notre Dame, OSU, and at Penn State. My pick is, I think Notre Dame/OSU beat them again, and they lose at least 3 games. Harbaugh is overrated, he's not what he's cracked up to be people.

214 SIhoosier26, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  15. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

you mean that 5 + 7 = 10 instead of 12 hmmm must be that new math that I have heard about.

16. Fatsquirrel

Fatsquirrel Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Peppers? Lol..what ****ing year do you think it is?

17. Tigersrrolling

Tigersrrolling Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It wasn’t too hard for Coach V to shut down OU’s O the last 2 times the Tigers and Sooners played ?

18. SIhoosier26

SIhoosier26 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I was trying to combine their impact players from the last few years. Either way they lose a lot on defense.

19. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

you are the dense one no where in that article say that Linderbaum was the starter nor was going to be the starter.

in fact it started out as A EXPERIMENT that is going very well the 2020 season is when I expect him to be the starting center. then Banwart will start at RG. remember DT Kirkpatrick was switched to the OL RG/LG more than likely.
    like it or not Linderbaum is not the starter, yes he got most of the snaps with the 1's but considering this was the 1st time he played center and had to snap the ball in his entire career.

yet you want to start a very raw kid against BT DT's at the most important position in the center who calls out the blocking assignments, your ignorance keeps getting more comical with every post.

20. Fatsquirrel

Expand Collapse

Should still end up being a top 15 unit, top 10 if a couple guys figure it out.

21. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I mean:
    • Player 1
    • Player 2
    • Player 3
    Is much easier to read.

22. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have never seen someone fight so hard to remain ignorant. Choose to read it or not but Tyler Linderbaum, barring an injury in camp, is going to be the center snap 1 against Miami of Ohio.

Out of curiosity, what position is Levi Duwa going to play?

23. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are wasting your time. I'm caught in a spiderweb of dipshittedness but you can save yourself.

24. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Duwa is no longer with the team. again you read one thing and make a complete 180 on what was quoted by KF and are trying as hard as you can to make people believe that Linderbaum is the quarenteed starting Center. which he is not.

25. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

your post doesn't make sense. I listed the starters that return from the bowl game and most of the season even where they started, how hard is that figure out there are 12 starters returning and not 10.

26. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Have you never seen bullet points? Use them. I told you where the button is and provided an example of what they look like.

27. Fatsquirrel

Expand Collapse

28. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I did read the article when it was 1st posted then again after you posted it. just because because you twisted what was written to fit you agenda does not change the fact that NOBODY meaning the HC/OC/OL coach have come out and said that Linderbaum is going to start.

29. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

didn't use to and don't need to as facts are facts by who I listed as the returning starters off the bowl game and not the in season starters.

anybody that ACTUALLY WATCH the Hawkeye's know this. I have no Idea on why a couple starters were left out by this Rita.

30. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

NO and the discussion was about how many starters that Iowa has returning.

31. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A bulleted or numbered list of those starters would be much easier to read than your way of doing it.

32. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

really as I would think listing the starters by position would be easier to count and understand.

33. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

34. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

List them using a bulleted or numbered form like this:

1. Qb
    2. Wr
    3. Rb
    4. Te
    5. OL

35. RoyalBevo21

RoyalBevo21 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Seriously, nobody give AF about boring a$$ corn eating Iowa.

36. Zgeo

Zgeo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This thread became an Iowa thread.....

RoyalBevo21 likes this.
  37. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's my bad. I thought I could have a mildly rational conversation with him.

38. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

and you can't help a total moron,

39. dragonhawk1855

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

and you can't do anything with a total know nothing moron

40. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I concur. But for losing to Michigan St (at the time that was big time news) in the championship game (a title pairing) we are talking about Iowa in was it the Cotton Bowl ? As it was they still qualified to the Rose. Guess what? Losing to Stanford isn't something to be ashamed of. Stanford arguably might be the best program in the country. If you've beaten Stanford you've done something pretty amazing. It's interesting isn't it how people paint the same picture different depending on whom they are. Apparently when John Elway went to Stanford he went there because he was them as a bastion of success at the position he wanted to excel at. Quarterback. So if playing Stanford for a Rise Bowl championship is sort of a let down that's a problem. I hate it when people try to rewrite history. Rose Bowl should epitomize success. Iowa should be very proud of themselves.