ADVERTISEMENT

Penny found himself an athlete

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Kaodirichi Akobundu-Ehiogu. Never heard of him? Yeah, me either until Memphis picked him up in the portal recently. I'm tracking the stats of every transfer from the top 10 conferences in a spreadsheet. His career stats look peculiar. 21.8 minutes per game, 4.2 ppg, 5.2 reb, 68.5 fg%, 2.9 blk. Shot-blocker, efficient with his touches, but doesn't really do much else.

But, check out these videos...

6'10 kid with a 47 1/2 vertical?! Mercy! When I first looked at this stats, my thought was, "This kid doesn't have a background in basketball." Sure enough, he doesn't. He'd never even seen a basketball until he came to the U.S. at the age of 13 (from Nigeria). He should have two years of eligibility remaining. If Penny could teach this kid some fundamentals, he'd be a dangerous player.

Last edited:
That's a freakish vertical. May be too late to teach him enough in time to do anything with it.

That's very possible. Just know you're gonna be hard-pressed to find anybody that could match his length and athleticism. Looks like he didn't start playing organized basketball until he was a junior in high school.

That is some wild athleticism. Sheesh.

If Bernard James could learn how to play basketball after never playing organized ball until he was 20 and in the Air Force then there is still hope for this kid.

That is some wild athleticism. Sheesh.

If Bernard James could learn how to play basketball after never playing organized ball until he was 20 and in the Air Force then there is still hope for this kid.

Did any of the FSU centers from Africa have little to no basketball experience when they arrived in Tallahassee? Was thinking Ojo may have fit that category, but he obviously didn't have next-level athleticism like this Memphis kid. Thought Koumadje came a long ways; very productive player as an upperclassman. No idea how much experience he had prior to FSU.

The Bernard James story is just wild. Feels like someone should take that story and make a movie out if it.

Did any of the FSU centers from Africa have little to no basketball experience when they arrived in Tallahassee? Was thinking Ojo may have fit that category, but he obviously didn't have next-level athleticism like this Memphis kid. Thought Koumadje came a long ways; very productive player as an upperclassman. No idea how much experience he had prior to FSU.

The Bernard James story is just wild. Feels like someone should take that story and make a movie out if it.

Ojo had almost zero experience. Koumadje had played a couple seasons as a backup at Montverde I think.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT