ADVERTISEMENT

Peacock? Seriously? Fvcking Peacock?

They'll go undegeated in their conference and get a 1 or 2 seed still, because the metrics are flawed.
Hi jeff! I don't think I agree with you on the Zags. They have gone out of their way to play difficult competition. They don't wimp out in that regard.

Hi jeff! I don't think I agree with you on the Zags. They have gone out of their way to play difficult competition. They don't wimp out in that regard.
And lost most of those games this year - which is his point

Reactions: kyjeff1
His point was about seeding and the subsequent padding they’ll receive from a weak conference schedule, not whether they played tough competition or not. @kyjeff1 can correct me if I’m wrong.
Jeff doesn't need to correct you as I am already doing that. Their weak conference schedule is negated by playing the toughest non conference schedule in America. I hate teams that pad their schedule, but have to give the Zags their due here.

Their tough out of conference schedule would offset some of their weak conference games if they won the big games. But their inevitable long win streak due to their weak conference will make those losses hard to remember when other teams competing for higher seeds will likely have a couple of losses still fresh on the committee's mind. It's bullshit. But it is what it is.

Yeah, I'm with you. My DTV bill is like a small mortgage. Then I have all these streaming services. No Peacock though, lol. I don't think so at least.
Hmm, we have peacock on DTV. Didn’t do anything special so not sure how we got it. That’s what Yellowstone is on , right?

Spectrum is raping you with no lube. 🤣
Well I get a lot in my package. I have 600,000 Mbps download, telephone for North America and the EU, all the movie channels and all the sports channels, I have four DVR's ($12.00 each per month) et.al. so it adds up.

In my little town we have the choice of three "cable" companies. Believe it or not Spectrum is the cheapest and best. The bulk of my expense is the crap that my wife and I want, so we pay for it out the nose! Of course that is why you work so hard so that you can have the stuff you want.

Additional excess: four years ago when I went to the 600,000 Mbps download speed, we had the house wired with cat5e, so all 5 TV's, 4 DVR's, 4 computers and the laser printer are hard wired to the modem/router. The WiFi is used only on the cell phones and lap tops.

And lost most of those games this year - which is his point
Teams don't usually peak in the first few weeks of the season.

It might be an unfair advantage to play in a weak league, but it's also unfair to judge them solely based on a few early games. Especially when they have a beatdown of Kentucky on the resume and a few other good wins.

Remember when Kentucky lost to the Zion team by a million? What seed would they have deserved after the first few weeks of the year?

Reactions: WojoRising
Teams don't usually peak in the first few weeks of the season.

It might be an unfair advantage to play in a weak league, but it's also unfair to judge them solely based on a few early games. Especially when they have a beatdown of Kentucky on the resume and a few other good wins.

Remember when Kentucky lost to the Zion team by a million? What seed would they have deserved after the first few weeks of the year?
This is all true, but it’s just another symptom of the weak league. I agree completely with everything you said, and it sucks for them that this is the only sample size we have and you can’t really go around making exceptions for them, regardless of how many times they crush San Francisco

This is all true, but it’s just another symptom of the weak league. I agree completely with everything you said, and it sucks for them that this is the only sample size we have and you can’t really go around making exceptions for them, regardless of how many times they crush San Francisco

True, but I think people worry about this too much. It's not like receiving a 2 seed rather than a 3 or 4 is the difference between a title run and getting bounced early. Maybe it could help them win one extra game, if that.

Their tough out of conference schedule would offset some of their weak conference games if they won the big games. But their inevitable long win streak due to their weak conference will make those losses hard to remember when other teams competing for higher seeds will likely have a couple of losses still fresh on the committee's mind. It's bullshit. But it is what it is.

Maybe, but what advantage do you think this gives them in the tourney? Do you think being seeded slightly higher than deserved is going to give them a cakewalk to the title game?

Last year, KP had Gonzaga as the best team… .by far.

The metrics cannot properly measure home court advantage. They treat a game at Thompson Bowling arena the same as a game at Portland state.

Playing a game at Allen Fieldhouse is a compleyely different experience than playing in a 3500 seat arena in the pacific NW.

Last years Gonzaga team was certainly not the best team in the country.

Right now, Gonzaga has 2 decent wins, but they lost 3 games. They should not be awarded with a 1 seed if they go undefeated in that cracker jack WCC while all the other contenders have to play in bigtime jacked up arenas EVERYTIME they go on the road.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Last year, KP had Gonzaga as the best team… .by far.

The metrics cannot properly measure home court advantage. They treat a game at Thompson Bowling arena the same as a game at Portland state.

Playing a game at Allen Fieldhouse is a compleyely different experience than playing in a 3500 seat arena in the pacific NW.

Last years Gonzaga team was certainly not the best team in the country.

Right now, Gonzaga has 2 decent wins, but they lost 3 games. They should not be awarded with a 1 seed if they go undefeated in that cracker jack WCC while all the other contenders have to play in bigtime jacked up arenas EVERYTIME they go on the road.
I was hoping you would say, Hi back. 🥺

I don't think the Zags will be #1 seeds this year.

Reactions: kyjeff1
His point was about seeding and the subsequent padding they’ll receive from a weak conference schedule, not whether they played tough competition or not. @kyjeff1 can correct me if I’m wrong.
You are correct.
Yeah, Gonzaga played a tough schedule to date, but they lost most of those games.
Michigan State, Baylor, Texas, NC, duke, UT and many others have played really tough schedules too, but now, they have to turn around and play in really tough power 5 conferences in jacked up arenas that hold 15,000-25,000 fans.

If Gonzaga went 4-1 in those 5 games, I'd say they should be in line for a 1 seed for sure, but damn, Texas shredded them and that’s just 1 true road game at a power 5 conferences arena, they're lucky they don't have to play 7 more of those like everyone else does.

That’s not even mentioning conference tournament play, where the last place team can beat the best team. That’s not the case in the wcc.

Jeff doesn't need to correct you as I am already doing that. Their weak conference schedule is negated by playing the toughest non conference schedule in America. I hate teams that pad their schedule, but have to give the Zags their due here.
They've played 5 tough games and only 1 was a true road game and they got hammered in that game.

They lost 3 of those 5 tough games. You don't just get a 1 seed because you simply played a tough scheduoe. You have to actually win most of those games.

Heck, if we just handed out top seeds for tough schedules, Bellarmine would get one.

Additionally, Gonzaga isn’t the only team to play a tough schedule to date, I can name 10 + others that have played extremely tough schedules too, most of them faired better than Gonzaga has.

But let me ask you this, do you think there is a road environment anywhere in the WCC that is anywhere near as tough to play in as any arena in the SEC/ACC/B12/B10? I can't. I mean, BYU has a tough environment, but it’s still not close.

That matters and that's not even talking about the competition. Most of those WCC teams have starting lineups that consist of advanced high school kids. Most games end up with zero dunks or blocks at the rim.

The playing fields are nowhere close to the same.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
February 18th:
Tennessee @ UK
Duke @ Syracuse
Baylor @ KU
Purdue @ Maryland (2/16)
NC @ NC State (2/19)

Gonzaga @ Pepperdine

One of these is not like the others and that's pretty much how it is every week during conference play.

I mean, UK will get a tougher game from Vandy… .in Rupp, than Gonzaga will @ Pepperdine @ SF, @ Portland St etc… but Ken Pom treats them all the same. That’s a problem.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
February 18th:
Tennessee @ UK
Duke @ Syracuse
Baylor @ KU
Purdue @ Maryland (2/16)
NC @ NC State (2/19)

Gonzaga @ Pepperdine

One of these is not like the others and that's pretty much how it is every week during conference play.

I mean, UK will get a tougher game from Vandy… .in Rupp, than Gonzaga will @ Pepperdine @ SF, @ Portland St etc… but Ken Pom treats them all the same. That’s a problem.

But is it even worth getting worked up about? How big of an advantage do you think it is to have a 2 seed rather than a 3 or 4?

Percentage a 2 seed wins vs 4 seed

Rd 2-93.8% vs 78.5
S16 -63.2% vs 46.5
E8 - 45.1% vs 14.6
F4. -20.8% vs 9
Champ- 9% vs 2.1

Interpret those numbers however you see fit.

Percentage a 2 seed wins vs 4 seed

Rd 2-93.8% vs 78.5
S16 -63.2% vs 46.5
E8 - 45.1% vs 14.6
F4. -20.8% vs 9
Champ- 9% vs 2.1

Interpret those numbers however you see fit.

Their chances of advancing are a little higher on average because 2 seeds are generally better teams than 3 seeds and lower. That doesn't mean you can take a 4 seed caliber team, give them a 2 seed, and they'll go much further than they would have otherwise.

Ditto. My Spectrum is $333 a month, Netflex is $15, Prime is $15 (I do get free shipping from Amazon), ESPN+ is $10, Britbox is $7.

Hmm, we have peacock on DTV. Didn’t do anything special so not sure how we got it. That’s what Yellowstone is on , right?

Not sure about Yellowstone. I don't think I have Peacock with DTV though. Have HBO Max because of DTV. I have DTV, Apple, Netflix, Paramount +, ESPN +, and my wife has some deal with PBS where you can watch all of those shows they offer.

But is it even worth getting worked up about? How big of an advantage do you think it is to have a 2 seed rather than a 3 or 4?
Who's getting worked up? I'm just having a very simple conversation.

It is a big deal when a team that should be a 4 seed, gets a 1 over a team that is more deserving.

Last years Gonzaga team was not only NOT the best team in the country, they were very far from it. You should not be rewarded with the path of a 1 seed, when you play a bunch of hs teams for 3 months and actually manage to lose one or two of those games.

This 2022/23 Gonzaga team is not even as good as last years team, but they'll rip through their conference and get a 2 seed at worst. If they played in a P5 conference, they'd be closer to a 5 or a 6 in my opinion and that’s hard for me to swallow, because they deep dicked my cats.

I actually think that they will lose at least a game or two to the conference rivals, but we will see.
They lost to sMc last year by 10 and STILL got the overall 1 seed. The metrics had them way out in front.

They got beat badly by Alabama in their own backyard. If they can lose to sMc by 10 and get beat at home by Bama the way they did, how would they fair in a real conference where you might have to play 3 straight road games in big, jam packed arenas?

When you're a big named team, you get everyones best shot. The teams that give you their best shot in a p5 conference, are completely different than those scronny little dudes Gonzaga gets to play in 3500 seat arenas.

Their chances of advancing are a little higher on average because 2 seeds are generally better teams than 3 seeds and lower. That doesn't mean you can take a 4 seed caliber team, give them a 2 seed, and they'll go much further than they would have otherwise.
If it goes chalk, a 4 seed would have to play a 1 seed, where the 2 gets to play a 3, so the odds of that team advancing, are much higher.

Not sure about Yellowstone. I don't think I have Peacock with DTV though. Have HBO Max because of DTV. I have DTV, Apple, Netflix, Paramount +, ESPN +, and my wife has some deal with PBS where you can watch all of those shows they offer.
I was thinking of Paramount- sorry

If it goes chalk, a 4 seed would have to play a 1 seed, where the 2 gets to play a 3, so the odds of that team advancing, are much higher.
Yeah, in that scenario, it's a little easier to reach the Elite 8, but at that point, you're going to have to deal with a really good team anyway. It's not like it gives you a cakewalk to the final 4.

Last edited:
Who's getting worked up? I'm just having a very simple conversation.

It is a big deal when a team that should be a 4 seed, gets a 1 over a team that is more deserving.

Last years Gonzaga team was not only NOT the best team in the country, they were very far from it. You should not be rewarded with the path of a 1 seed, when you play a bunch of hs teams for 3 months and actually manage to lose one or two of those games.

This 2022/23 Gonzaga team is not even as good as last years team, but they'll rip through their conference and get a 2 seed at worst. If they played in a P5 conference, they'd be closer to a 5 or a 6 in my opinion and that’s hard for me to swallow, because they deep dicked my cats.

Not you necessarily, but this is something that comes up a lot, so it seems like people are passionate about it.

I definitely won't deny that it would be a big deal for a 4-6 caliber team to get a 1 seed. I just don't necessarily think that happens for Gonzaga. I think last year's team was a two at worst. This year, I don't know...I haven't seen them in action much. But I'd have to think they're better than a 5-6 based on having Timme alone, with a great coach.

Also, if they are a 5/6 caliber team, I doubt they'll make it through the conference undefeated. St Mary's or BYU or somebody will trip them up at one point.

Not you necessarily, but this is something that comes up a lot, so it seems like people are passionate about it.

I definitely won't deny that it would be a big deal for a 4-6 caliber team to get a 1 seed. I just don't necessarily think that happens for Gonzaga. I think last year's team was a two at worst. This year, I don't know...I haven't seen them in action much. But I'd have to think they're better than a 5-6 based on having Timme alone, with a great coach.

Also, if they are a 5/6 caliber team, I doubt they'll make it through the conference undefeated. St Mary's or BYU or somebody will trip them up at one point.
They didn't make it through conference play undefeated last year either, but that didn’t matter.

Tonight's Baylor vs Gonzaga is on fvcking Peacock? Is that a joke? Fvkcing Peacock? Who the Fvck has Peacock?

A. How many fvkcing people even have Peacock?

B. Of the fckging people who have fcvking Peacock, how many of them watch basketball?

C. Of the people who have fckving Peacock and like basketball how many of them even know the game is on fclking Peacock?

I hope the schools like the bucket of cash they got for the game cause they sure as shit aren't going to have any viewers.

Fvcking Peacock!
Dude, I was wondering the same thing. WTF is a game like that on Peacock for? I thought Peacock was for movies lol.

ADVERTISEMENT