ADVERTISEMENT

Paying College Athletes? Where do you see this going?

I haven’t watched college football in a while. The last 10 years have been kinda boring imo. NFL I have grown to really like, and the NBA is top notch right now. CBB is fun when there’s good games on, but the Ncaa being cvvnts makes it really hard to support. I’ll always watch the tourney though, regardless of who’s playing. Can’t say the same about college football.

I haven’t watched college football in a while. The last 10 years have been kinda boring imo. NFL I have grown to really like, and the NBA is top notch right now. CBB is fun when there’s good games on, but the Ncaa being cvvnts makes it really hard to support. I’ll always watch the tourney though, regardless of who’s playing. Can’t say the same about college football.
I casually watch college football. The announcers are pretty bad in the big games. The guys that do the SEC game of the week on CBS are just grade A assholes. Is it Gary Danielson? The usual suspects being in the top 5 is kinda a. drag too. I actually prefer that D list game flying under the radar with some C list announcers. You know, a couple garbage teams that win 5-6 games a year playing each other, they know it's one of their few chances to win.

Reactions: UL_1986
You know, a couple garbage teams that win 5-6 games a year playing each other, they know it's one of their few chances to win.

Like UK vs Louisville? 🤡

I kinda feel the same as you. I feel like college sports is more exciting simply because they aren't as good it makes it more interesting, also less games makes them feel more important.

There are things to like about college sports and there are things to like about pro sports. If you are watching just from a product stand point, then pro sports is going to be better for you. Better athletes, more skill. Faster, stronger.

College sports, at least to me, are easier to get invested in from an emotional standpoint. Watching players progress over 3 or 4 years, for some of us actually having attended the school, or had family members grow you up on the school. The imperfections of the college game are what make the game special. Some teams move the ball better than others, or shoot better, play smarter. And that's what makes it fun to watch.

There are things to like about college sports and there are things to like about pro sports. If you are watching just from a product stand point, then pro sports is going to be better for you. Better athletes, more skill. Faster, stronger.

College sports, at least to me, are easier to get invested in from an emotional standpoint. Watching players progress over 3 or 4 years, for some of us actually having attended the school, or had family members grow you up on the school. The imperfections of the college game are what make the game special. Some teams move the ball better than others, or shoot better, play smarter. And that's what makes it fun to watch.
Agreed, only problem is players..especially now aren’t gonna be staying 3-4 years. I’m hoping I’m wrong though.

Why would they leave sooner now that they are able to make money in college? Wouldn't that potentially make them stay in school longer?

Reactions: Villian07
Why would they leave sooner now that they are able to make money in college? Wouldn't that potentially make them stay in school longer?
Depends on if they make money or not. Not every player is cut out for that business.

I just don't understand what that has to do with college athletes now being able to use NIL to make money.

They could do all of that before and very few chose that route(except trying to go pro). Being able to make money and stay in school seems like a reason for them to stay in school rather than take their chances on getting drafted. Of course the top prospects and seniors are going to go leave, that will not change, but for the average player I don't see it changing.

I just don't understand what that has to do with college athletes now being able to use NIL to make money.

They could do all of that before and very few chose that route(except trying to go pro). Being able to make money and stay in school seems like a reason for them to stay in school rather than take their chances on getting drafted. Of course the top prospects and seniors are going to go leave, that will not change, but for the average player I don't see it changing.
I’m willing to see the monetary aspect of all of this regarding NIL. Then, I’d probably understand it moreso.

I'm starting to get disappointed. I thought UK would excel at paying players. There's been very little so far. All the haters were just faking.

If yall are still landing stud recruits i wouldnt worry.

I really havent seen any male basketball player get anything super ridiculous yet.

Everyone knows football is where the money is, but it's also the safer bet. If you had to pick the final four or even the E8 of the NCAA tournament you could guess all 4/8 wrong. With the CFP it's very easy to predict the top teams year to year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Everyone knows football is where the money is, but it's also the safer bet. If you had to pick the final four or even the E8 of the NCAA tournament you could guess all 4/8 wrong. With the CFP it's very easy to predict the top teams year to year.
That clearly screams one of the processes are off.

Reactions: I am stupid
I'm starting to get disappointed. I thought UK would excel at paying players. There's been very little so far. All the haters were just faking.
All I've heard is Bojangles signing Allen. Evidently UK has a good NIL pitch, as parents of players visiting have mentioned. I want to see Oscar driving around in that big hot dog car lol.

EUVP6P3HXVG5NOQFSFTCJTBX5Q.JPG

All I've heard is Bojangles signing Allen. Evidently UK has a good NIL pitch, as parents of players visiting have mentioned. I want to see Oscar driving around in that big hot dog car lol.

EUVP6P3HXVG5NOQFSFTCJTBX5Q.JPG
At this point I have to think back channel deals where the public is not aware. Kentucky law kind of ****ed us, It says UK can't help, but the NCAA law says we can.

that's gotta be worked out

we wanted to create a law ahead of NCAA's butthurt law,and we f'd ourselves. UK and UL.

ADVERTISEMENT