ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Baldwin Jr. and his shortsighted family

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
What's this guy and his family thinking? Going to UW-MIlwaukee to play for his dad and his terrible team. Guy has coached there several years and has done nothing.

Wouldn't the smart move be to tie the father to the kid and use the kid to land a much better coaching gig rather than the opposite?

Reactions: ioliva
What's this guy and his family thinking? Going to UW-MIlwaukee to play for his dad and his terrible team. Guy has coached there several years and has done nothing.

Wouldn't the smart move be to tie the father to the kid and use the kid to land a much better coaching gig rather than the opposite?

Dude is a top 10 pick regardless of where he plays. Don’t blame him for wanting to stick around his hometown for an extra year and play for the local college his dad coaches at.

Not sure why anyone expected a different decision. No way I wouldn't play for my dad in his situation.

Love the ESPN headline that he picked UWM over Duke and UVA. I had no clue we were even involved with this kid lol

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Dude is a top 10 pick regardless of where he plays. Don’t blame him for wanting to stick around his hometown for an extra year and play for the local college his dad coaches at.
Crazy to stick with your dad who's taught you everything and also happens to be a D1 coach.
Not sure why anyone expected a different decision. No way I wouldn't play for my dad in his situation.

Are you guys all dummies? When did I ever criticize him for wanting to play for his dad? Morons.

Lost year. Competition? TV exposure?

His dad has been coaching him his entire life.

His choice obviously, I just dont agree with it.

Nothing more humorous than watching a grown man on a message board critique the decision of a 17 year old they've never met.

Such a weird thing to take an issue with, too. The kid gets to play his one year of college basketball 20 minutes from home under his dad. If anything I find that decision refreshing compared to other stuff we see from top recruits.

who said anything about head coach? He could get an assistant spot at a much better school than Milwaukee.

Probably but is uprooting to be an assistant at Michigan better than being a head coach in the Horizon League? LaVall Jordan left his Michigan assistant job to head coach at Milwaukee. Bacardi Alexander left his Michigan assistant job to coach at Detroit.

Nothing more humorous than watching a grown man on a message board critique the decision of a 17 year old they've never met.

I could critique the decision making of any 17 year old out there and be pretty confident about it.

I could critique the decision making of any 17 year old out there and be pretty confident about it.
Untitled-1188.png

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Dude is clearly pretty smart. Great decision for the young man. Sure, he could have chosen to go to a different school, maybe get frustrated and transfer or something. Instead he chose a familiar path where he will excel and also not be ostracized on campus for not wanting to LARP or play Minecraft all day.

Ok let's play devils advocate.

He's giving up national exposure for now, cut his chance to win a title to near zero, is ok w/o HOF coaching for now, and places sentimental value over delayed value.

He's betting more on his own perceived value more than what high level opportunities can bring. He just doesn't need Duke or anyone other teams help.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Ok let's play devils advocate.

He's giving up national exposure for now, cut his chance to win a title to near zero, is ok w/o HOF coaching for now, and places sentimental value over delayed value.

He's betting more on his own perceived value more than what high level opportunities can bring. He just doesn't need Duke or anyone other teams help.

I don’t think that’s devils advocate.

Pretty obvious he just wants to be the man for a year and then go pro. If I am an NBA GM, I question this decision when his name comes up for the draft next year.

Pretty obvious he just wants to be the man for a year and then go pro. If I am an NBA GM, I question this decision when his name comes up for the draft next year.
I thought the storyline was he wanted to play for his dad and is the ultimate team player.

Reactions: RipThru
Especially when the kid went against the grain against what I'm sure was a tremendous amount of peer pressure to make a decision which IMHO is refreshing.

I can't believe you guys are applauding this kid for being a little bitch.

Doesn't want to play against real competition, doesn't want to leave home. Yea he's a massive pvssy.

I can't believe you guys are applauding this kid for being a little bitch.

Doesn't want to play against real competition, doesn't want to leave home. Yea he's a massive pvssy.
There’s less risk involved. Go to a blue blood and you could potentially underperform and tank your draft stock. We saw this across the board this past season, with Jalen Johnson, BJ Boston, Terrance Clarke, Josh Christopher, Greg Brown, etc. He’s going to put up great numbers there and can’t fall too far barring injury.

There’s less risk involved. Go to a blue blood and you could potentially underperform and tank your draft stock. We saw this across the board this past season, with Jalen Johnson, BJ Boston, Terrance Clarke, Josh Christopher, Greg Brown, etc. He’s going to put up great numbers there and can’t fall too far barring injury.

so you agree he's a huge pvssy.

You could make an argument that he should be more draftable based on this decision. Fans are lots of dumb though so...

Some people just can't seem to accept when a guy chooses another school without being all petty about it. UNC has plenty of them as well. Someone is paying him, scared of competition, isn't willing to work, etc... All dumb. Obviously, it is more an indictment on the butthurt fan but look at the ones whining and you kind of expect it.

I think most of the posters questioning Baldwin's decision are whining because he didn't choose their team, as they regard him as a missing piece in a championship puzzle. The thing is, the NBA knows how good Pat is and that he's probably just biding his time until he can go pro. Playing in the Horizon League is no impediment to future success. Kendrick Nunn, out of Oakland, had a fine game with the Heat last night. I'm happy for Pat that he gets to play for his father and in his tome town.

I think most of the posters questioning Baldwin's decision are whining because he didn't choose their team, as they regard him as a missing piece in a championship puzzle. The thing is, the NBA knows how good Pat is and that he's probably just biding his time until he can go pro. Playing in the Horizon League is no impediment to future success. Kendrick Nunn, out of Oakland, had a fine game with the Heat last night. I'm happy for Pat that he gets to play for his father and in his tome town.

yes you got me. Definitely upset that Baldwin chose Milwaukee over DePaul. Can't really blame him for wanting to play for a better basketball program though.

yes you got me. Definitely upset that Baldwin chose Milwaukee over DePaul. Can't really blame him for wanting to play for a better basketball program though.
Yes, I can understand your pique after Loyola has stolen Windy City collegiate bragging rights. Guess Baldwin didn't see the allure of losing by 30 to Villanova.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT