ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Youth baseball parents/coaches...

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Are unbelievable. Ok. I'm working a 14U baseball tourney this weekend. Very good ball. Good games. And great for the most part. Until today. Sunday you see folls, well that's "D" day; AKA elimination day. Soooooo...........The "great game blue", "nice job", etc, etc...Well, they go away. After all, it's elimination day. I mea WE are talking ELIMINATION DAY. THE end to all means.
So we are in semi-final #1. Two really good teams. Bot 5th. 4-3 game. 1 seed is on the ropes. Top seed jas runners at 2nd/3rd. One out. Down one. I call a balk. A coach yells, " what did he do"? Another coach says the same. As they both start to approach I ask the guy who's still yapping---"Are you the HC". He shoos me off with a wave of the arm. So I tell him, " hey don t disrespect me like that. I'm just wondering if your the HC".
Aaaaaaaaand, it's on. Oh, boy. He sprints out to me yelling--Thats horrible. So I ask, "what's horrible"? The balk he replies. So I reply, " how do you know. You don t even know what he did. So how could you know it's horrible"? His answer? "You're a piss of shit !!!!". So i respond with --Really? Over a balk? A balk that still at this point, you habe no clue to what happened? I'm giving him rope, fellas. A ton of it. As I walk away--No, I haven't ejected him yet. He now yells, " You're a piss of shit". I say--"I'm aware of that. You've already told me this ". And yes, I then eject him. And boy that really got it going. Replies of "I'm gonna knocknypir head off", tongue customary, "I'll be waiting for you". You know, the usual. So we survive that. Game ends. All is good, right? Nope.
Chapter 2: The aftermath.
As I'm leaving the dad of the pitcher I call the ball on ask me, and nicely, what his kid done. I told him. He says that's what I thought. He then apologizes for the coaches actions. Happy ending? Naaaah. Other parents see us talking and decide they want in. I decline. And it gets ugly. One verbal abuse after another. Littered with profanity. All the while, here's these 14 year old kids taking in this awesome display of parenting and sportsmanship. Just a great learning momemt.
It just amazes me. These games are more important to the parents , than the kids. And we wonder why kids today are disrespectful of others. Especially officials. They get it from their moms/dads, and coaches. A long post I know. But something I wanted to share. Honestly, it's sickening.
BTW the ball was called because pitcher was onnyhe rubber, from the wind-up. He brings his pitching hand (with ball) out of his glove. But doesn't pitch. Easy ass call. But fvck. Had I known it wouldve led to arma-fvkin-geddon.... Thing is, I called a balk vs the other team earlier. Their coaches response? He tells his pitcher--"it's the same thing you did yesterday. Learn something would you". But the other team ? Welll....not so much. They thought that should have been a "teaching moment for their kid". So I asked--"Should it have been a teaching moment also when I balked the kid from the other team"?
Crickets.
Anyways...Tgought I'd share how my Sunday went.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I used to referee soccer games for extra cash in HS, and I know how awful parents would get to a high school kid - over rules they were clueless of. That and my dad has been a basketball ref for more than a decade, so I’ve heard all of his stories.

Related, have you seen the story on the AAU slugfest that broke today?

Are unbelievable. Ok. I'm working a 14U baseball tourney this weekend. Very good ball. Good games. And great for the most part. Until today. Sunday you see folls, well that's "D" day; AKA elimination day. Soooooo...........The "great game blue", "nice job", etc, etc...Well, they go away. After all, it's elimination day. I mea WE are talking ELIMINATION DAY. THE end to all means.
So we are in semi-final #1. Two really good teams. Bot 5th. 4-3 game. 1 seed is on the ropes. Top seed jas runners at 2nd/3rd. One out. Down one. I call a balk. A coach yells, " what did he do"? Another coach says the same. As they both start to approach I ask the guy who's still yapping---"Are you the HC". He shoos me off with a wave of the arm. So I tell him, " hey don t disrespect me like that. I'm just wondering if your the HC".
Aaaaaaaaand, it's on. Oh, boy. He sprints out to me yelling--Thats horrible. So I ask, "what's horrible"? The balk he replies. So I reply, " how do you know. You don t even know what he did. So how could you know it's horrible"? His answer? "You're a piss of shit !!!!". So i respond with --Really? Over a balk? A balk that still at this point, you habe no clue to what happened? I'm giving him rope, fellas. A ton of it. As I walk away--No, I haven't ejected him yet. He now yells, " You're a piss of shit". I say--"I'm aware of that. You've already told me this ". And yes, I then eject him. And boy that really got it going. Replies of "I'm gonna knocknypir head off", tongue customary, "I'll be waiting for you". You know, the usual. So we survive that. Game ends. All is good, right? Nope.
As I'm leaving the dad of the pitcher I call the ball on ask me, and nicely, what his kid done. I told him. He says that's what I thought. He then apologizes for the coaches actions. Happy ending? Naaaah. Other parents see us talking and decide they want in. I decline. And it gets ugly. One verbal abuse after another. Littered with profanity. All the while, here's these 14 year old kids taking in this awesome display of parenting and sportsmanship. Just a great learning momemt.
It just amazes me. These games are more important to the parents , than the kids. And we wonder why kids today are disrespectful of others. Especially officials. They get it from their moms/dads, and coaches. A long post I know. But something I wanted to share. Honestly, it's sickening.
BTW the ball was called because pitcher was onnyhe rubber, from the wind-up. He brings his pitching hand (with ball) out of his glove. But doesn't pitch. Easy ass call. But fvck. Had I known it wouldve led to arma-fvkin-geddon.... Thing is, I called a balk vs the other team earlier. Their coaches response? He tells his pitcher--"it's the same thing you did yesterday. Learn something would you". But the other team ? Welll....not so much. They thought that should have been a "teaching moment for their kid". So I asked--"Should it have been a teaching moment also when I balked the kid from the other team"?
Crickets.

I'm a score keeper for youth baseball where I live. been doing it for several years and have seen my share of bad parents and coaches who took it way to seriously. They made it to the point where some kids quit playing. Some parents even yelled at opposing players. A few years ago the rec. dept. started making parents and coaches sign a conduct contract before every season. If a parent or coach showed their butt they were banned from the field for the remainder of the season. Since that time there have been very few incidents. The kids have a lot more fun and keep coming back. That's what youth baseball is all about in my opinion.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I want to come to one of your games and see this happen Borden. You have some great stories
I have more issues with these travel ball games then I do for major college baseball. It's amazing.

My boy's (stepson) junior team won a game a few weeks ago because the other team had a pitcher who balked 6 times in the bottom of the last inning for doing exactly what you are talking about. I was amazed they never took him out, lol.

As for All-Stars, my boy made the team (which was cool because he is 13 in a 13-16 year old league but not that cool because I want him to quit and focus on golf) but was on vacation during districts so couldn't go. Now they won and are going to state but although he is on the roster I don't think it is fair to let him play since he wasn't at districts. Kind of happy since it is four hours away. Also kind of glad not to deal with the idiots that are always around those kind of deals.

Last edited:
Where the hell have you been, Borden? All well with you and yours?

I used to referee soccer games for extra cash in HS, and I know how awful parents would get to a high school kid - over rules they were clueless of. That and my dad has been a basketball ref for more than a decade, so I’ve heard all of his stories.

Jesus, that is ****ed up.

Btw, not an AAU event, FYI.

Check that, maybe it was an AAU event? AAU says it wasn’t, but...?

Crickets.
You in Clarksville Indiana this weekend?
My question is, why was he pitching from the wind up with runners on base?

I’ll have one of these kids in class next year. He’s one of the worst offenders in the video, but don’t want to say much more than that about his identity. And, I’ll bet you anything he’ll be starting on the basketball team next year. Gotta win, ya know?
Eyeroll

Reactions: Hank_
You in Clarksville Indiana this weekend?
My question is, why was he pitching from the wind up with runners on base?

Runners were on 2nd and 3rd. Unless you are worried about the runner stealing home your pitcher can pitch from the wind-up. Considering 13/14u is the first age pitchers have to worry about leading off, many might be better out of the wind-up than the stretch.

I’ll have one of these kids in class next year. He’s one of the worst offenders in the video, but don’t want to say much more than that about his identity. And, I’ll bet you anything he’ll be starting on the basketball team next year. Gotta win, ya know?
Eyeroll

Hopefully he gives you more respect than the adults in this video.

Does anyone have the background on that fight video? What started it and where is the other team?

Runners were on 2nd and 3rd. Unless you are worried about the runner stealing home your pitcher can pitch from the wind-up. Considering 13/14u is the first age pitchers have to worry about leading off, many might be better out of the wind-up than the stretch.
My son has played lead off since he was 9 years old. Teach kids the game the right way. If a runner is on base, you go from the stretch.

My son has played lead off since he was 9 years old. Teach kids the game the right way. If a runner is on base, you go from the stretch.

You asked a question and I gave a possible answer. Little League rules are that you can’t leave the base until the ball crosses the plate. I’m not familiar with every youth program, though.

Also, plenty of professionals pitch from a windup with runners on 3rd and no one on 1st. It’s not uncommon.

Reactions: dtgold88
You asked a question and I gave a possible answer. Little League rules are that you can’t leave the base until the ball crosses the plate. I’m not familiar with every youth program, though.

Also, plenty of professionals pitch from a windup with runners on 3rd and no one on 1st. It’s not uncommon.
Little league is the only league that doesn’t allow lead off.

Interesting.

By yeah, I watch a lot of MLB and it’s not uncommon to see pitchers in the windup with a runner on 3rd.
Odd.
My Gradfather coached high school ball, my dad played D1 & I played D2 Ball.
I’ve very rarely seen it. I’ve seen 9 or 10 year olds do it with bases loaded but balks aren’t called that young. It’s just a dead ball warning.

Hopefully he gives you more respect than the adults in this video.

I’ve had a couple run-ins w the kid. He thinks he’s a lot tougher than he is. Apparently, his dad is now trying to sue the ref. So, there will be no lessons learned here.

Eyeroll

Oh FFS, that sucks. You have older kids, right? So at least less parent interaction than elementary?

Oh FFS, that sucks. You have older kids, right? So at least less parent interaction than elementary?
Yeah. I teach seniors and some juniors. This kid has been getting away w being an asshole for a couple years now, but he can ball some, so a lot of wrist slaps.

My introduction to this kid was his freshmen year. I run detention, and this kid was in there. The assistant principal comes in and the player starts calling him by his first name, “Hey, Larry. Larry!” Totally inappropriate, so I say, “His name is Mr. Harrison.” The asst principal turns to me and says, “It’s okay, I’ve been called worse.” He’s new at our school, and he’s weak. Not what we need. Anyway, after he leaves the kid says, “So, what’s your first name?” I say, “Ask your mom.” Detention blows up. Nothing like putting some of these kids in their place, especially when all their peers back you. Since then we actually have a good relationship, but he’s not a good kid, as proven in the video. Oh well. Nothing will happen to him at our school for this, just another wrist slap I’m sure.

The one AAU Ref lost his short... and his shoes? Did someone really take his shoes off in the middle of a fight?

I already realize without kids , I will be awful at coaching little kids. Once kids get a little older to middle school I can see myself getting involved coaching a team. Need some level of basic understanding from the players for it to be tolerable.

Interesting.

By yeah, I watch a lot of MLB and it’s not uncommon to see pitchers in the windup with a runner on 3rd.
Depends on the outs. With 2 outs, it's common. But with less than 2, not so much. Protecting against a squeeze.

Eyeroll

Christ.

There’s plenty of blame to go around for that whole situation, but you would think there should be some consequence. Probably not though.

Thought possibly you were playing in the game. Other team was from Kentucky. How'd y'all do?
We won it all. Went 5-0 on the weekend. My sons very rarely gets into with umpires. It’s not going to change the umps call & usually the call that’s about 3 inches off the plate that has been a ball when you’re batting, suddenly it becomes a strike & Vice versa when you’re pitching.
He’ll question some calls but it’s usually in a polite manner.

We won it all. Went 5-0 on the weekend. My sons very rarely gets into with umpires. It’s not going to change the umps call & usually the call that’s about 3 inches off the plate that has been a ball when you’re batting, suddenly it becomes a strike & Vice versa when you’re pitching.
He’ll question some calls but it’s usually in a polite manner.
Consistency man. That's all coaches/players want. I don't mind a coach/kid questioning or asking. There's a way to do such. And for the most part, it's done right. Yesterday wasn t one of those times.

A lot of tourneys are starting to allow lead off from 9 and up. Which IMO, is stupid. Just a bad idea. But you are right. Some kids feel a ton more comfy from the wind up.

Next time your in one of these, let me know.
Sure will. It was a last minute decision. I don’t really like USSSA events because of the rules. I don’t like the bat rules for 13u & 14u.
A 13 year old should only be able to use a drop 5 or -3 bat & 14u should be -3 only.

Sure will. It was a last minute decision. I don’t really like USSSA events because of the rules. I don’t like the bat rules for 13u & 14u.
A 13 year old should only be able to use a drop 5 or -3 bat & 14u should be -3 only.
Agree. I only work this tourney b/c I'm very good friends with the founder of the organization. He does a nice job. They just went to U-Trip this year.

Agree. I only work this tourney b/c I'm very good friends with the founder of the organization. He does a nice job. They just went to U-Trip this year.
I’m in charge of finding & entering tournaments for our team. 90% of the time I’ll go with Perfect Game. Problem is, they’re EXPENSIVE AS HELL.
I’m looking into a GBM event in Louisville in 2 weeks or a Gameday event in Indianapolis.

ADVERTISEMENT