OT: Trumps first month

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by ioliva, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not ready to call it a lie under oath. He could have misspoke. A lie, to me, is intentional. He could have not be as clear as he needed to be or misspoke and not intentionally lying.

2. ndesgeorges

ndesgeorges Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thats giving him quite the benefit of the doubt. After Flynn misremembering what was in his Russian discussion, I'm a little more wary. When you get sworn in, you gotta get it right.

Mark Gastineau likes this.
  3. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

anon_0astpxev9h4gk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, I miss it most definitely. I still visit 4 to 5 times a year. My mom is retired and lives in the highlands, and my sister is a lawyer at Frost, Brown, Todd in Downtown Louisville in the Aegon. So I come back for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Oaks & Derby, and just for random visits throughout the year when I have time. Louisville will always be near and dear to my heart, no doubt. However, the Bay Area is my second home, and I love it here a lot too. I'm excited to come back and visit here in a couple months, it'll be good to see my family and close friends who still live in Louisville.

JimboBBN likes this.
  4. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

Yeah, it must be weird seeing others get a prestigious education. I'm very shocked you reside in rural Michigan, never would of guessed LaughingLaughingLaughing...

5. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good discussion, lets see what I got for ya.

Did it not bother you he wouldn't say it, though? Hillary wouldn't either. Why can't they just call it like it is? In the grand scheme of things, no it isn't a big deal. It does give me reason to pause, though. I find it extremely odd.

I think we both agree on this. Neither side wanted to budge when both should have.

I think this whole police issue I lean much more right than I do on a lot of other issues. Here are my reasons why:

- Police have the hardest job in the world. They are faced with split second decisions that lead to life or death on a daily basis and I couldn't imagine facing that kind of pressure. Anything we as citizens can do to help make things easier on the police we should try and do, that includes staying out of trouble.

- There is absolutely NO ACCOUNTABILITY on the part of people committing crimes these days. Instead of blaming the police for you being in trouble, how about you, oh I don't know, stop breaking the law! If you put yourself in a position to be confronted by the police, that's no ones fault but your own. No saying that cops don't sometimes abuse their power, I've met some that have so I know they exist. But there are so many more good cops out there than bad ones. And they catch a bad name because people want to vandalize and steal things without any consequences.

Its tough, but I think the more you get rid of the "well my party believes this" the more we can find common ground. I think we agree on a lot of this stuff.

6. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Bill, George.....and Barrack Hussein OBAMA.......Did you see what i wrote about uneducated americans? Good people, but easily swayed. I personally believe racism is a two way street and happens on both sides more than we'd like to think. Both are destructive. I think by percentage of the population that racism is no worse than equal.

Football211 and treyforuk like this.
  7. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Is hail still posting? I really hope that a purposeful troll isnt enough to get the thread shut down… Purposeful trolls should get banned. That's what moderation is for.

And Denn, Bert called himself racist, while in the midst of a pretty crazy racist tirade. I would hope board members do not get in trouble for repeating what he said and simply saying the truth. I've seen people get banned on other forums for the type of thing that Burt posted, to be honest.

Anyway, I think things are still going well… I always enjoy the back-and-forth with Jimbo because he always seems to listen, have really enjoyed shooting the breeze with LetsGoDuke, Who is much more reasonable than I first wrongly assumed, and have even found myself agreeing with SNU a lot. Good stuff... It is always good to hear from people who do not share your point of your point of view.

JimboBBN and anon_0astpxev9h4gk like this.
  8. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Sounds good brother. I'll buy ya a beer sometime when you're visiting. I would love to sip a cold one with you and @rockycard and @L1C4CardsFan or any of my other U of L or UK buddies in the Louisville area.

rockycard and anon_0astpxev9h4gk like this.
  9. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

I'm in man. I'll give you a shout when I get into town.

JimboBBN likes this.
  10. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

No, it didnt really bother me. I get why it bothered some, he was too PC, but I think he wanted to avoid the Islamophobia that does exist under the surface. Once it became an issue, I think he decided he wasnt going to say it just to spite people who wanted him to say it.

Police have a ridiculously tough job. Their bad days are exponentially worse than my bad days. The problem is that they are still people. Some people suck, most people are good. Some cops suck, most are great. The issue was that for a long while when one of them would make a mistake, unless it was just awful, nothing would really happen. They were not held accountable and often they were just placed on paid leave. If I make a big mistake, I am probably fired. They were getting paid vacations. Yes they have hard jobs, but thats not a good way to do things. Now, that has changed thankfully.

Yes, those committing crimes have no right to complain. Innocent people do tho. When Sheriff Joe was still in power here, Mexicans (legal citizens) were treated as second hand citizens in AZ. One of the reasons he is in court now is that it came out that if the victim of a crime was Mexican then only a fraction of the resources, compared to a non-Mexican victim, would go into that case. Also, he had his officers pulling over darker skinned drivers for zero reason. They werent putting themselves in any sort of unique situation, they were just living. Thats just unlawful search and seizure. So those people absolutely had a legit complaint and that is one example I saw daily. But you had people calling anyone on their side an illegal or criminal or worse and dismissed their argument.

I guess my main point is that things arent black and white basically ever. Not every cop is good, not every cop is bad. Most are good. Not every person questioning the police was a criminal with no right to complain. And on the other hand, some people deserved what they got from the police and cant complain.
    Totally agree. I have found it a little annoying on here especially that if you speak out against Trump, that means you are a liberal. Ill be surprised if I ever agree with either party on a majority of issues.

treyforuk, JimboBBN and toonces11 like this.
  11. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

I know I'm on the back end as far as following politics and knowing my stuff, just enjoying a good talk with you fine folks!

12. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

What are your hopes for Trump (or reasons for voting for him)?

13. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

My hopes for him and the reasons I voted for him are pretty different. The main reasons I voted for him were to keep Hillary out of office and because I wasn't fond of the direction we as a country were heading in.

My hope for Trump is simply that he succeeds as our president. I was not the biggest fan of Donald at first, I was a fan of other Republicans before him in the primaries. I certainly see why people have their doubts and dislikes about him, but I do think he deserves a chance to show us what he can do. And in fairness to him, I think this is a really, really hard time to be President of the United States in. Perhaps I read your previous post wrong, you said you didn't vote for Trump but haven't voted Democrat since '08?

treyforuk and HoosierstuckinIowa like this.
  14. rockycard

rockycard Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Count me in as well.

anon_0astpxev9h4gk and JimboBBN like this.
  15. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

Fair post. The direction we were heading in was relative. Some things could be improved sure, some things were played up.

I know I would not want to be President. Watching the inauguration coverage... I said f that. There were like 3 presidential balls on the first day.

For the last part, Gary Johnson.

JimboBBN likes this.
  16. J. Shellacque

J. Shellacque Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's getting strange. Our commander in chief has a flip over orange Barney fife thing going on. Jeff Sessions seems akin to the creature in lord of the rings. This house of cards will crumble in weeks. ......I forgot. bill self gets heat for his lid, but what is that "gorgon" .thing Rand Paul has on his head?

17. Phillfan

Phillfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

He didn't lie under oath. I listened and read transcript of interview. He was asked if he met on behalf of the Trump campaign. He said no, which is true.

treyforuk likes this.
  18. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

SEN. AL FRANKEN: "If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what would you do?"
    SESSIONS: "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

19. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Yep, I understand. He met with the ambassador in his duties as a Senator. Not as a member of the campaign. And he said he wasn't aware of any meetings of other Trump campaign people.

Glad we agree.

20. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

"I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians"
    Not sure you understand

21. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Sorry. Seems you are the one who doesn't understand.

He did not meet with the Russians on behalf of the campaign.

Let me guess, you don't think HRC lied to Congress under oath either.

Give us a shout when Sessions steps down or is tried for perjury.

22. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

23. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Phil, you are literally displaying comprehension problems.

And I do not say that because I went to Duke; it is just clear, and I am also a reading teacher.

24. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Then there are a lot of people with the same problem as me.

Seems to me you folks have a comprehension issue and a hearing issue.

Again, when he steps down or is indicted let me know.

25. J. Shellacque

Expand Collapse

Nobody lies under oath.....against the law

26. J. Shellacque

Expand Collapse

27. J. Shellacque

Expand Collapse

I should quit making jokes about this ignoramous you fools put in place. You'll just do it again to spite everyone. At some point the rubber is going to hit the road. The

1227 J. Shellacque, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  28. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

I know a few might get upset or angry with this, but would be curious what folks on the left and right think...

Robert Reich, SecLabor for many years (and a good one at that), Prof of Politics, author/historian, and one of the more prominent political theorists/commentators around, posted this on his blog:

1. They exaggerate their mandate to govern – claiming, for example, that they won an election by a “landslide” even after losing the popular vote. They criticize any finding that they or co-conspirators stole the election. And they repeatedly claim “massive voter fraud” in the absence of any evidence, in order to have an excuse to restrict voting by opponents in subsequent elections.

2. They turn the public against journalists or media outlets that criticize them, calling them “deceitful” and “scum,” and telling the public that the press is a “public enemy.” They hold few, if any, press conferences, and prefer to communicate with the public directly through mass rallies and unfiltered statements (or what we might now call “tweets”).

3. They repeatedly lie to the public, even when confronted with the facts. Repeated enough, these lies cause some of the public to doubt the truth, and to believe fictions that support the tyrants’ goals.

4. They blame economic stresses on immigrants or racial or religious minorities, and foment public bias or even violence against them. They threaten mass deportations, “registries” of religious minorities, and the banning of refugees.

5. They attack the motives of anyone who opposes them, including judges. They attribute acts of domestic violence to “enemies within,” and use such events as excuses to beef up internal security and limit civil liberties.

6. They appoint family members to high positions of authority. They ppoint their own personal security force rather than a security detail accountable to the public. And they put generals into top civilian posts.

7.They keep their personal finances secret, and draw no distinction between personal property and public property – profiteering from their public office.

I know some will get upset with this because of the obvious connection to Presidsnt Trump, but it is really true; these are the keys to becoming a tyrant, and have been so throughout history; mussolini and Hitler in particular followed these exact steps. Beyond policy discussion, it is a bit disturbing that we see this happening in our country today.

29. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Rob Reich is a hack. He's your standard California politician. I absolute despise him.

LetsGoDuke301 likes this.
  30. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Doesn't upset me. Just proves how awful some on the left really are...

LetsGoDuke301 likes this.
  31. LetsGoDuke301

LetsGoDuke301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

A whole lot of unjustified generalizations and embarrassingly hypocritical statements in that garbage. Like @SNU0821 stated, doesn’t upset me, just makes that guy look like a whacked out progressive that is upset himself.

And speaking for myself, the media turned me against the media well before Trump started getting into his childish war with them.

treyforuk likes this.
  32. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are verifiable facts.

33. LetsGoDuke301

Expand Collapse

While generalizing and being hypocritical.

34. brooky03

Expand Collapse

How so?

35. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Couldn't agree more. He is part of the Clinton team who is still upset she didn't win.

SNU0821 likes this.
  36. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Sounds just like Obama.

37. brooky03

Expand Collapse

Except not at all. Like, not even a little bit. Good point though.

38. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Excellent second sentence. I haven't trusted the media on either side for years.

I filter both and make my own determinations and judgements based on logic.

treyforuk likes this.
  39. brooky03

Expand Collapse

Sure

Longstrangetrip likes this.
  40. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

I can make an argument for Obama on each one of those points. Not going to, but can.

You should take your alt left glasses off once in awhile.

41. LetsGoDuke301

Expand Collapse

Who is they? I know the answer is obvious, but why use they instead of saying who he is really talking about?

The media turned a lot of people against them without the help of Trump. So you can call that a verifiable fact, but it's only partly true.

Constantly lying to the public, again, may be a verifiable fact, but it's hypocritical seeing how that is the way of the political land. Are we to suggest that our other alternative in this past election was truthful to the public?

Attack anyone who opposes them. Okay, again that may be a verifiable fact, but also hypocritical seeing how that is true for both sides.

SNU0821 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.