OT: Trumps first month

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by ioliva, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Your return on $100 is brilliant. Dang you are good.

Why did you vote for Clinton?

2. HoosierstuckinIowa

HoosierstuckinIowa Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's not easy overcoming objections...lol Hearing no just means maybe, sometimes!

That's awesome to hear about your ownership, congrats! I had my business for a few years and it was by far the most satisfying moment in my career. Keep up the good fight.

denniden likes this.
  3. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You simply don't understand humor do you? Totally tone deft!

treyforuk likes this.
  4. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A lot of things were said about Obama before, during,and after his presidency........and it was just embarrassing. I think saying racism was a major contributor is really stretching the truth. People forget how dumb the general population is (christ, look at half of the liberal protestors as we speak, look at the birthers during obama). A lot of us don't deal with lower levels of IQ on a regular basis----but people are shockingly ignorant. So many people get their news from Facebook----i don't have the link but there was def like a 20 point checklist on the obama faux birth certificate theory. It was well written, organized the inconsistencies in an easy manner understand, and cited sources that backed up MOST of the info------Can you imagine how many people that would buy that stuff hook, line, and sinker? They aren't bad people....they just lack the ability to weigh convincing Facebook chart vs the federal gov't checking into it. I don't think it has anything to do with race for the most part-----its straight up bc people are dolts.

Did race play a role in obamas elections and Trumps election? Is it racist for black people to vote for obama just bc he was black? And vice versa for Trump? Why did AAs show up in bigger numbers and in swing states for obama, but sit at home for hilary? People seem to vote for the most ludicrous reasons, so Im sure some base it on skin color----but hopefully the racists from both side cancel each other out.

JimboBBN and treyforuk like this.
  5. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Haha, I will just pay others to decipher maybes. Besides it gives me more time to post on internet message boards.

Thanks for the kind words. "Fight" is the right word. Every single day.

6. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

anon_0astpxev9h4gk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thought you had chores to do? @denniden told us to cut it out, so they can have their conversation. And sorry, I don't find your racism humorous.

Mark Gastineau likes this.
  7. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Let it go bert. Please.

8. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

relative as in one connected by genes to a person. Are you that damned dumb or are you just a turd? Oh no, I forgot you are the grammar police.

9. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

Showing myself the door.

Bert Higginbotha likes this.
  10. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

you got that right brother.

11. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You know my name because I am not some phoney hiding behind a fake "UL1986". I am Bert Higginbotham. You know where I live and what I have done.

I am not living a lie. You are.

I am brave brave and you are a sniveling coward. Sorry, but fess up.

Use your real name and let us know where you live and what you do.

Not brave enough are you?

treyforuk likes this.
  12. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are so bright. Holy shittes!

13. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Grammar police. Laughing

14. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

$2,000 but you were close enough. I live in NY so my vote for President doesn't count. But if it did, I would have voted for Clinton because she was more qualified for the job. Trump wasn't and isn't qualified for the job, so he was never going to get my vote. He didn't clear the very first hurdle, so all the other hurdles he slams into and trip over don't matter.

15. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

ndesgeorges and denniden like this.
  16. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sure. Before I go on with my post I feel the need to point out a couple things because I already know how some will react before I have the chance to clarify my points.

- I did vote for Trump
    - I am aware that some of my criticisms of Obama can also be said for Trump. Although I voted for him, I certainly do not think he is perfect and do not mind talking about his flaws either. If you anyone has a question about my post regarding Obama, I will be glad to address you, but lets try and keep this about him and not switch back to Trump.

I really didn't start following politics until Obama was in office for his second term. That's when I feel like this country started hitting its low point and got us to where we are now.

I feel like Obama did not put Americans first in some instances during his tenure. There were multiple points where I found myself questioning why he was so driven to make America more like the rest of the world instead of focusing on what made our country so great in the first place. Instead of focusing on refugees and people of other nations, he should have focused on the home front and put America's problems first. As you can see, there are currently a lot of issues that need to be addressed that he refused to address (Islamic Terrorism)

I also didn't like that he appeared so ashamed of people who didn't agree with him. He was very clear that if you weren't with him, you were in his way, which was a big turn off to me. You know, "elections have consequences." What a stupid thing to say when you're trying to unite people together. And although congress didn't do him any favors during his time in the White House, he certainly did not want to give any ground either. Again, he was part of that double standard I see a lot of Democrats holding people to now a days. "Our way or no way."

My next point. Although he didn't incite the violence and riots and all of that other crap that's been happening on the left during the last few years, he certainly didn't do his part to try and stop it either. Great leader :rolleyes: he also refuses to get behind the police force for whatever reason. The very people that hold this country together and stable he can't give his word for. That's pathetic to me.

Obamacare, meh. Not informed enough on this to give my opinion so I'll stay away from the topic.

Not the worst 8 years by any means like some republicans made it out to be, but he certainly did his part to turn a lot of people off from him.

treyforuk and Bert Higginbotha like this.
  17. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Stop that crap.
    I will, but I was the guy being called a damned racist.

I will never be back on this thread.

TheDude1 and treyforuk like this.
  18. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

I know your name, because you've told us many a time, and hang such a sense of pride in the fact that you use your real name as your handle for RIvals. How courageous of you, BertEyerollEyerollEyeroll. If you would open your crusty eyes a bit, it says where I live in right under my username, post count, and likes. I'm not living a lie, I'm just not a senile old kook who lacks so much originality and creativity, that I have to resort to putting my own first and last name in my handle. Lastly, calling yourself brave for putting your name and where you live on a Rivals message board is too rich to even comment on RollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

19. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

You called yourself a racist within your own hate filled post.

Mark Gastineau likes this.
  20. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

"Waves goodbye and finally exits the door"-UL1986

21. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Really quick, are you from Cali? Or from Louisville and moved out that way? Just curious.

22. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I know you were and that is part of the reason why I stepped in.

treyforuk and Bert Higginbotha like this.
  23. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

Expand Collapse

Was born and raised in Louisville, went to high school at Manual, and got my BA from UofL. Then moved to Berkeley for my graduates degree, and have lived in the Bay ever since, now going on 7 years.

JimboBBN likes this.
  24. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Ever miss the 502? I have friends who went to college away from Louisville or moved away for just a short period of time that came back because they missed the place so much. I think its really cool how close a city can be to your heart, I know this place will always be home to me!

anon_0astpxev9h4gk likes this.
  25. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Disappeared after the election. How sad were you?

Welcome back.

treyforuk likes this.
  26. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Love seeing all the Democrats now getting called out for meeting with the Russians. Completely hilarious.

treyforuk likes this.
  27. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Obama still hasn't acknowledged these riots, where whites were being jumped and beat up because of their skin color, happened. I don't think it's tricky for Obama to come out and speak against these actions.

SNU0821 likes this.
  28. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Shocking.

29. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

May I ask what you specifically didn't like about Obama? I have my own list, but I am curious about yours.

30. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

As I said, I agree that there are obviously millions of people who are not racist who voted against Obama. Obviously there are millions who are not racist who voted for Trump. We agree on this, and I do think that anyone should agree with that.

But I suspect we might disagree on exactly how much a part racism played in the elections, both Obama's and Trump's.

Honestly, my guess is that the percentage of Republicans who have at least some racial prejudices are somewhere between the number who think that Obama was a Muslim and the number that think that Obama wasn't born in America... so somewhere between 25-40 percent. I am sorry if you disagree or think I am being silly, but that is my honest opinion. The cognitive dissonance it takes to be angry at Obama's pastor, and then to believe he is a Muslim, or to believe even for an instant that he wasn't born in the United States, is just too much for me to accept existing for any other reason than a fear of foreign dark skinned non-Christians, given that we've never had this issue for a white man, ever, and it flies in the face of actual fact.

And I think that Trump's campaign, without question, played into these racial fears. Look at who he has surrounded himself with... Steve Banon, Stephen Miller... look at the dozens of things that he said, about Mexican racists, saying that Mrs. Kahn wasn't allowed to talk, about a "Mexican" judge who couldn't do his job... he was basically the founder of the Birther Movement... he repeatedly refused to condemn supporters who attacked minorities, and took a long time to condone the KKK... he retweeted piece after piece from white supremacists... he talked about the blacks living in the ghettoes, as if that is where all African Americans live... and if you look at his history, at the way he went after the Central Park Five even AFTER they were found to have been not guilty, at his repeated lawsuits involving refusing to rent to blacks... well, I think there is zero doubt that he used peoples; racist tendencies and fears to get votes, and got a lot of votes because of it.

Here; I will leave this here, from an article in the Washington Post that explored some poll numbers...

Republican Mitt Romney won 61 percent of those who expressed negative stereotypes. And, when the question was asked during the 2008 primaries, those with negative racial stereotypes consistently favored Republican candidates — any of them — over any Democratic candidate in hypothetical matchups... Research by Washington Post pollsters and by University of California at Irvine political scientist Michael Tesler, among others, have found that Trump does best among Americans who express racial animus. Evidence indicates fear that white people are losing ground was the single greatest predictor of support for Trump — more, even, than economic anxiety.

If you are “very enthusiastic” about a candidate who has based his campaign on scapegoating immigrants, Latinos and African Americans, talked of banning Muslims from the country, hesitated to disown the Ku Klux Klan and employed anti-Semitic imagery — well, you might be a racist. But if you are holding your nose and supporting Trump only because you think him better than Clinton, that doesn’t put you in the basket.

The new Washington Post-ABC News poll finds the two groups roughly equal: Forty-six percent of Trump supporters say they are “very enthusiastic” about his candidacy. The rest were “somewhat” or not terribly enthusiastic.

So you end up there with about 45 percent... roughly the same as the percent of Republicans who believe Obama is a Muslim. And that makes sense to me, sadly:(

I agree that there are a LOT of dumb people out there. But I firmly believe these ridiculous notions only came about because of Obama being black. After all, did anyone accuse Bill Clinton or George Bush or ANY OTHER WHITE PRESIDENT EVER of being a foreign muslim terrorist, even though people were just as dumb then? No. I think the underlying racism is what allowed these insane ideas to take root and spread to all-too-many people... the underlying racism, not stupidity, is what I think would allow these people who read this Facebook nonsense to accept it.

I think the idea that African Americans voted a bit more for Obama doesn't say much, when you figure they voted in similar numbers for other Democratic candidates through the years. Sure, Obama had more support, but given that African Americans were slaves just 150 years ago and that many who live today lived through segregation... well, I have no problem with it at all, especially when you figure they FINALLY had a candidate that they could easily believe understood the issues that African Americans faced in America.

And unfortunately I do not think the racists of both sides cancel each other out; I believe that there is far more racism at play on the right in American today than the left, and I think current events, countless studies, the basic platforms/stances of the two sides, and simple common sense and anecdotal evidence supports that. I mean, to state it simply... one side makes a big deal of acceptance of all religions and races and nationalities and the rest, and when you look at their political representatives and conventions you SEE that... the other, unfortunately, has conventions almost entirely made up of white people, features almost exclusively white politicians, and is the side that defends the battle flag of the ANV and voted for the guy who ran a campaign steeped in barely-subtle racist rhetoric. I know that sounds harsh, but it is largely true. I hate it, and I am sure you will disagree about some of it, but it is just the way I see it.

31. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

tl;dr

32. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

I'm not going to tell you your opinion is wrong. Just that I disagree, which is fine. I know a lot of people that voted against Obama for reasons other than race and I know a lot of people that voted for Trump for reasons other than race. Its a much higher number than the number of people I've met that voted one way or the other because of race. I'm from Kentucky, too. Not exactly the most accepting state.

treyforuk likes this.
  33. Longstrangetrip

Longstrangetrip Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Not close to the reason troll.

34. ndesgeorges

ndesgeorges Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Before I respond Ill get this out of the way as well. I did not vote for Trump. I voted for Obama in 08 and that was the last Democrat I have voted for. I will not switch back to Trump. Also, I am on the same page. This thread has a tendency to make people talk past each other; I will do my best to address your point and if I am wrong on anything, feel free to call me out. I make mistakes.

I have heard this quite a bit. By almost all metrics, the country was not at a low point. I get that people felt slighted by Obama, Ill get more into that.
    I think this is an angle that I never really felt. As far as ISIL...he bombed the sh*t of them. He just didnt tweet about it. He let them rise to power quickly and probably acted too late, but once they got his attention, theyve been on the downfall. So he certainly addressed the issue, but the right was caught up in whether or not he was calling it Radical Islam or whatever he wasnt saying.

He didnt love dissent. He did not play well with the right, but again, that one goes both ways. The right never wanted to work with him. But ya I agree, he didnt do enough to bridge that divide. And I totally agree that theres a double standard, thats why I hate the political parties.
    I agree he was not uniting during these situations. Especially the one cops funeral where he went off on a tangent. That was out of place.

On the whole, I think both sides of the policing argument there held some water. I know getting into it will not go anywhere tho.

The police brutality issue is one that I am glad was addressed, with or without race. They have become too militarized. I have seen it first hand. Part of the bigger issue is that you have vets returning and they are basically told they have no value outside of security jobs and they are not given the proper mental health evals. A good friend of mine came back with issues and he should have been forced into help. Most guys are stubborn and he was too. Something like half of returning vets who need it never get mental health treatment. He is a police officer now and I am praying he never "cracks" but I know he doesnt have the patience or attitude to do the job correctly now. Many of the newer hires are in the same boat. These are former soldiers who are told that their only value was battlefield related so its nearly impossible to have the correct civilian mindset. That was a little tangent but no one ever talks about it.

Obama was well intentioned with ACA but its obviously kind of turd.

I agree that he certainly played his role. I wish people would see past party lines. I hope we all hold every politician accountable when they constantly just play the blame game and no one will work together.

35. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You literally came back and immediately started trolling Bert, troll.

treyforuk likes this.
  36. Longstrangetrip

Expand Collapse

Nope, wrong again. Keep trying little pilot fish. Yo have done enough trolling in this thread to be banned. So by all means, keep making smart comments and make it easy.

37. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Troll.

38. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Calls me a troll.

Gets offended and threatens me when I call him a troll.

:rolleyes:

treyforuk likes this.
  39. Longstrangetrip

Expand Collapse

Not a threat at all little pilot fish.

40. ndesgeorges

ndesgeorges Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I said it in an earlier post, but I doubt Sessions' meeting was Dr Evil-like which is how some are portraying it, but he did lie under oath about it (I posted that transcript earlier also).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.