OT: Trumps first month

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by ioliva, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ioliva

ioliva Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So Trump has had his first month in office as of yesterday... Let's put political parties aside and beliefs.... this is an absolute mess.

Quavarius likes this.
  2. ALL IN YOUR FACE

ALL IN YOUR FACE Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Going to be a breath of fresh air when we get back to having a president that doesn't do anything they promised. It's just absurd that a politician is following through with the things they were elected to do.

Absolute mess indeed.

I also think that the states of California and New York should have complete authority on electing the President.

Anybody check with Canada to see if they can take us all in?

3. DevilNeverCry

DevilNeverCry Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I didn't vote for or like him as a candidate but he is the president of my country so in a sense I'm rooting for him to be successful. Successful in a sense that he's making decisions that will help the members of our society that need it. We can debate on who those people are all day.

Having said that I'm quite disappointed in Candidate Trump's ability to become President Trump. He's spending way too much time reliving his campaign and not enough time looking for reasonable solutions. 30 days isn't enough to really make a decision on a presidency but I've seen little to make me feel like he's capable of governing.

4. ioliva

ioliva Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Since Reagan, Presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama all had larger margins of victory over their opponents in the Electoral College than Trump.

Trump defeated Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton by 304 to 227. Obama and Bill Clinton had larger margins of victory than Trump in all of their elections.

"Why should Americans trust you?" NBC's Peter Alexander asked after mentioning the fact. In response, Trump said he was simply "given that information."

"I was just given that," the president said, earlier revising his statement and saying it was the largest win of any Republican since Reagan, which was also untrue. Bush's 1988 victory was by a wider margin.

"Well, I don't know. I was given that information," he went on, adding his win was "a very substantial victory."

"Would you agree with that?" Trump asked.

"You are the president," Alexander responded.

"OK, thank you," Trump said. "That is a good answer."

Like I said politics aside. His news conferences have been an absolute disaster.

5. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Just what we needed, more politics on here Sick

6. ALL IN YOUR FACE

Expand Collapse

Does not matter, he still won.

Seems awfully shallow to judge a President 1 month in base on something that has no bearing or importance in regard to making America great again.

7. ioliva

ioliva Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

By the way I agree. California and New York combine for a total of 6% of the population and should definitely decide elections.

West virginia population to electoral vote ratio 1.85 mil / 5 electoral votes = 370,000/ 1
    California population to electoral vote ratio 38.8 million / 55 electoral votes =705,454/ 1

8. GLR5555

GLR5555 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Repeal Obamacare and all will be right with the world again.

9. robert4usc

robert4usc Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The popular vote debate is stupid to me. Both candidates ran their campaigns based on the electoral college system.

It's like saying a baseball team (Team A) didn't win because Team B's pitcher had 12 strikeouts, but gave up a solo homerun, while Team A's pitcher had zero strikeouts, but didn't give up any runs. If it was a competition for the most strikeouts, team A would have used a different strategy

10. OU50

OU50 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

But you didn't have any problem judging Obama did you? Oh well, does not matter, Obama still won....TWICE.

AirZona and TDredbird like this.
  11. ALL IN YOUR FACE

Expand Collapse

SYSTEM IS BROKE
    Next up on the agenda should changing the way the number of electoral votes is determined.

Every state has 2 senators.
    West virginia population to electoral vote ratio 1.85 mil / 3 (representatives) = 616,667/ 1
    California population to electoral vote ratio 38.8 million / 53 (representative) =732,075/ 1.
    So unfair, like bigly unfair, hugely unfair.

LetsGoDuke301 and SNU0821 like this.
  12. KA4Prez

KA4Prez Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The political system is broken.

Trump, while not "my guy", has done what he said.

He's exposing the media for the fraud it has been for decades, and that includes ALL mainstream media, the left and the right.

My biggest complaint about Trump is he still has been very vague on where he stands on many issues, and although he's pushing to do what he said, it's still unclear HOW. We need more details before judging the outcomes of many of these things.

Lets not be fooled about this being a "disaster." The media wants you to think that. What it really is...a non-politician who is NOT politically correct and controlled. It's not the norm and the shock of the different perspective is causing people to panic.

13. ALL IN YOUR FACE

Expand Collapse

Elections have consequences. I respected our nation's voting process and accepted the fact that he was the president.
    I assume you judged him as well, just favorably. I sure as hell didn't advocate for changing the constitution and laws because I didn't get my way.

14. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't get how a response to a press conference can be "he still won." I think that you can say a person won an election, and yet still seems to have huge issues with being truthful or rational.

First month, for me, has been a mess.

I like some of his choices for cabinet positions and appointments (Mattis, Pompeo, Chao, Shulkin... All of whom bring experience to the table)... I am "ehhh" on others (Haley, Ross)... I absolute hate others... Carson, Perry, DeVos, Sessions, Tillerson, Pruitt... And unfortunately, I think that Education, the HUD, the EPA, Justice, Energy... These are hugely important positions with massive long term effects. I'd give him a D in this department.

Haven't approved of most of his political moves. We will pay for the wall, which is projected to cost four million jobs and cause a recession? No thanks. Remove legislation preventing coal companies from dumping waste in water? Why on earth would anyone do that? The travel ban showed zero promise in really keeping us safer, and at the possible cost of human lives and our own way of doing things. He has had one or two moments (for example, calling out the GOP for going after the office of ethics, using ICE more aggressively) but overall a mess. I'd give him a D here too.

Hate the people he has surrounded himself with. Bannon, Spicer. Conway, ... The only one I like is Rance Priebus, who is an experienced operator (which is what you need.). F in this department.

The optics... Ugh, the optics. He just insists on acting like a thin skinned child. Stop with the Twitter attacks, stop with the "fake news"... It is all just such nonsense, and SO far below the dignity of the office. F in this department for me.

The Russia thing is really, really questionable. I am sure that the president isn't under the influence of Russia... Right? Actually, I am not. Cannot even grade that; it needs to be investigated, fully. If you read yo a bit on Trumps dealings in Russia (he is hugely invested there) and Tillersons investment there and, of course, the dossier... Well, it paints a very, very, very ugly picture. Maybe some people are okay with the president of the country being a bit bought out, or using the position for personal gain, because in some strange way that is just making money. I am not okay with it.

Basically been a terrible first month, in my opinion, and in thirty some odd years of knowing/following Donald, I expect nothing better. I welcome discussion about it, though.

Wildcatfan2381, KisteK, bilas and 5 others like this.
  15. mebeblue2

mebeblue2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

so far he is doing good
    he is trying his best to keep jobs in the U.S.A.
    he has only been in office 30 days, he is just getting his feet wet as to how you have to work in the system

it does amaze and disappoint me how people like Shumer care more about their political agenda then they do about the welfare of our country

16. UPnorth Illini

UPnorth Illini Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd say I'm a bit disappointed by the start...his staff seems to keep shooting themselves in the foot at every turn. This is a marked administration who many people are rooting for to fail. Every single mistake or misstep will be like throwing blood to sharks.

17. twocoach

twocoach Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Trump hasn't "exposed" anything about the media. If you are too dumb to realize that every media outlet packages what they report and do not report to fit their target audience then you're too dumb to vote in this country and frankly, too dumb to be allowed to have children.

If Trump's (re. Bannon's) policies didn't come with all of the other stuff then I would have little problem with it but they do. Pretending that all of the other stuff doesn't exist because you like the policies he pushes is willful ignorance and dangerous for our country. He is leading us down so many dangerous paths. Sorry folks but "it's not where you go it's how you get there" applies big time when you are talking about the actions that a Presidential administration takes to achieve their policy goals.

18. ALL IN YOUR FACE

Expand Collapse

I'll admit that I only read the first paragraph of your post which is one paragraph more than usual.
    The "It doesn't matter, he still won" is just pointing out that it doesn't matter how many electoral votes Trump won by, he still won. Whether he says he won by 1 or 1,000,000, it does not matter.
    Since there isn't a politician in Washington that doesn't have issues with the truth I'm sure you are just as upset with all of them. Doesn't make it right but it's par for the course.
    The people who voted for him knew what they were electing, this is what Trump does. It's part of the process of making America great again. Have to take the good with the bad in hopes for an overall successful term.

19. twocoach

Expand Collapse

When Trump and his daughter move manufacturing of all of the products sold by all of their companies to the US then I will agree with you that he is "doing everything he can to keep jobs in the US". The vast majority of job related items that he is taking credit for had been announced and planned years ago and have nothing to do with him. Those companies are smart and realize they will get a bump in sales if Trump's followers think that their company is pro-Trump and they are capitalizing on it.

nickris and MileHighSpartan like this.
  20. xWVU2010x

xWVU2010x Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Im very surprised hes actually backing up a lot of his bombastic election promises. Definitely thought that was just a political tactic to get a base behind him

21. twocoach

Expand Collapse

What it points out to everyone else is that you do not care at all what Trump does now that he is in office because you are satisfied with "your team" winning. The vast majority of Trump supporters I know have gone back to not paying any attention to what is going on nationally and politically because "It doesn't matter, he still won."

22. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I thank God every day that California and New York don't decide who the president is.

23. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That's normal though. You can say the same thing in regards to all of the "Obama is so cool" crowd that never seemed to say a word about their health insurance spiking 300%.

24. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Holy $hit THIS. Well said.

25. Stochdoc

Stochdoc Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You are clearly a Clintstone supporter.

American Male, pisgah101 and SNU0821 like this.
  26. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Oh look the Hillary super fan again. I think you need to step away from the computer little man. Clearly Trump winning is too much for you to handle. Get used to it. Good luck in 2024.

#hesyourpresident

27. xWVU2010x

xWVU2010x Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I wouldnt say hes not controlled. Giving Devos a seat of power shows he is in fact paying back favors after being elected which means he is doing exactly what he shamed Clinton for during his entire campaign.

KisteK likes this.
  28. ALL IN YOUR FACE

Expand Collapse

That's some good reaching.
    Has nothing to do with anybody's team winning. It's about getting the country thriving again, putting people to work, and taking care of the problems here at home first. These are the things that are important, not how many votes Trump says he won by.
    If he can't get the country back on a successful and sustainable path then nobody really wins.

29. IUBtown

IUBtown Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Complaining he's actually following through on his campaign promises?

American Male, pisgah101 and SNU0821 like this.
  30. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

I'm perfectly happy with Trumps first month. He's doing exactly what he said he would do. I love how CNN, MSNBC, the New York Times and others are completely freaking out. It's pure entertainment and they're getting exposed for the biased pieces of $hit they really are.

31. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

And keep the ACA huh? Winking

nickris likes this.
  32. ncrebel574

ncrebel574 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You forgot ESPN as well. I refuse to watch anything other than live sporting events these days

33. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Russia is still a huge problem for him and until he's transparent, he's going to have to answer for that.

He could cost Republicans in the mid-term, especially since they don't want to go after him and investigate his ties to Russia.

Watch out for all of the distractions.

#FakeNews

34. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Two things:

Why wouldn't you read the whole thing? Isn't that what message forums are for? Reading and responding to things? Might be worth reading it. Unless we are just going for meaningless "sound bites" and attacks, I think a little more in depth look at Trumps positives and negatives might be worthwhile, since that is the topic of the thread. I usually read any posts that seem to be thought out and not just mud slinging.

Second, actually it DOES matter how much he won by in some ways. If a person wins the election with 90 percent of the vote, it is a good indication of mandate... That that persons stances are hugely popular. If they won by a tiny percentage, then that is a good indication that their stances are not as popular. I would think a good leader takes that into account, and if their positions are not supported by many of the people they lead I would think they might amend their stances.

That post, and the "everyone in Washington lies, so you must feel the same about all of them" makes you seem very black and white. I am more a shades of grey sort of person. All lies aren't created equally; all political moves aren't created equally.

34 TheDude1, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  35. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Just like Obama and the Dems did with the working white class right? Oh wait, that's right, they told them they were privileged because of their skin color.

36. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

That seems to be a huge generalization; Democrats have been hugely focused on working class Americans for a long time, regardless of skin color... Support of unions, health care through work, making college loans more affordable, consumer and investor protections for new investors... That is sort of their thing, no? Do you have anything to support that?

KisteK and nickris like this.
  37. ALL IN YOUR FACE

Expand Collapse

First thing: I'm never reading one of your 1000 word post. It could be the best post in rivals history.
    <===== Still isn't reading it.

Second thing: The mandate came in the Congress.

38. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Hillary Clinton lost the election because Democrats can't relate with white, working class citizens. Bernie Sanders is on record saying this. Why should Trump switch up his stances on things when Obama pretty much dismissed anyone who disagreed with him?

39. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This crap is mind numbing.

KisteK likes this.
  40. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hillary lost partly because she's a woman and partly because some goofballs actually believed Trump when he said he'll bring back jobs from dead/dying industries. Some goofballs still believe he'll do that and think him saving a couple thousand jobs - many of which weren't going anywhere anyway - by providing tax and other incentives to US companies is somehow proof.

Whatever, I didn't like either candidate particularly, but I chose to back the one who actually had the qualifications for the job. Trump does not have the qualifications and he's repeatedly demonstrated that in practically every interaction with the media and practically every interaction with foreign governments and their leaders. He's lying to the American people at an alarming and unprecedented rate. He's signing executive orders seemingly nonstop, which were bad when Obama signed them but apparently good now. And he's making every effort to delegitimize legitimate news and straight up facts. The man argues with established, documented, verified facts, for crying out loud.

I love this country and hope he gets his act together soon for the sake of all of us, but he has not done anything to inspire faith. But dat wall, doe!

KisteK, Oznaminn and KerryRhodes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.