ADVERTISEMENT

Ot Poll: covid related

Would you sit at a bar next to a stranger today?

• Total voters
Matt Jones made a good point on this. If you’re mad that you’re required to wear a mask places, why aren’t you mad you’re required to wear clothes?

Also, these people who don’t wear masks to prove they aren’t afraid of a virus while walking around with assault weapons are hypocritical as ****.
The clothes comparison is a horrible one. That is absolutely not a good point. However the walking around with assault weapons is stupid.

What if you get sick end up just fine but you pass it on to others and they die?

What do you calculate the odds are of me asymptomatically carrying the disease, taking proper precautions around someone vulnerable (while they are also taking precautions), them still catching it, and them dying are?

I estimate those odds to be low enough to not wear a mask everywhere I go without feeling guilty.

Matt Jones made a good point on this. If you’re mad that you’re required to wear a mask places, why aren’t you mad you’re required to wear clothes?

Also, these people who don’t wear masks to prove they aren’t afraid of a virus while walking around with assault weapons are hypocritical as ****.

That’s not a good point.

And I’m not mad if businesses require people wear masks. Infact my mom is an at-risk and owns a business. I told her that she should require masks.

That doesn’t mean I think everyone should be forced to wear masks in public, though. It’s up to individuals to decide if they want to use businesses that require them or not and for businesses to decide if they want unmasked customers or not.

That’s not a good point.

And I’m not mad if businesses require people wear masks. Infact my mom is an at-risk and owns a business. I told her that she should require masks.

That doesn’t mean I think everyone should be forced to wear masks in public, though. It’s up to individuals to decide if they want to use businesses that require them or not and for businesses to decide if they want unmasked customers or not.

where in this post did I suggest you disagreed?

The mask debate: Do you wear one or choose not to? Why?
I haven’t really been out any since everything shutdown back in March. The only place I’ve been was to my nephew and niece in law’s house a few weeks ago when we had a small get together to have an early birthday party for my great nephew because my nephew joined the Army and finished up the second part of his training earlier this month, so my niece in law wanted to have a birthday party for my great nephew because she knew they weren’t going to be here for my great nephew’s birthday next month. I had a doctors appointment back in April that I cancelled because of the coronavirus and we recently called to reschedule that appointment, so I have a doctors appointment on July 1st and they said that I would be required to wear a mask to my doctors appointment.

Reactions: GhostOf301
As with any business, they have a right to set their own policies. Like, shirts and shoes required. I will respect a business if they require you to wear a mask. As far as wearing one outside? Nah. Not doing it. I don't feel comfortable wearing one and there is no reason to get used to it. We went to the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago. Outside, plenty of space to keep your distance and they were requiring you to wear a mask. No big deal, we just went to the garden center at Lowes.

I could see wearing a mask in a grocery store. I haven't been in months the wife handles it for me.

Screw that. I do the grocery shopping for us. I don't want anyone else getting my groceries. I generally wear a mask. I do the order from Kroger thing right now though.

However, a few weeks ago I was in Wal-Mart, probably wearing a mask but I don't recall. There was this 20 something year old standing right in the middle of the aisle and I walked behind her and she turned around and was a real smartass saying I should social distance. I'm generally a very calm individual but kind of let her have it. Then when I saw her later in another part of the store and I asked her if she had anything else to say. Not really happy I lost it on her like that but the absurdity of willingly going shopping and standing in the middle of an aisle and acting like everyone else should give you the enter damn aisle because you are special was too much.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I've always thought wearing a mask could, at bare minimum, reduce your chances by 50%. If the infected person is also wearing one is has to be up in the 90"s. Add in being aware to wash hands and use sanitizer---pretty safe. To me, thats common GD sense in any situation. The thing that threw me for a loop was Fauci, the CDC, and the surgeon general repeatedly saying masks are a bad idea. The SG said on multiple occasions that you increase your risk of contracting covid by wearing one. Fauci blatantly said people should not be walking around wearing masks. Its not like wearing masks around infectious people is a novel idea. Why do you suppose they repeated this fact for a month or two before doing a full 180? These are our health experts---pretty sure they should have the basics down.

Reactions: tw3301
I've always thought wearing a mask could, at bare minimum, reduce your chances by 50%. If the infected person is also wearing one is has to be up in the 90"s. Add in being aware to wash hands and use sanitizer---pretty safe. To me, thats common GD sense in any situation. The thing that threw me for a loop was Fauci, the CDC, and the surgeon general repeatedly saying masks are a bad idea. The SG said on multiple occasions that you increase your risk of contracting covid by wearing one. Fauci blatantly said people should not be walking around wearing masks. Its not like wearing masks around infectious people is a novel idea. Why do you suppose they repeated this fact for a month or two before doing a full 180? These are our health experts---pretty sure they should have the basics down.

I don't think everyone wearing masks in public is common sense.

Screw that. I do the grocery shopping for us. I don't want anyone else getting my groceries. I generally wear a mask. I do the order from Kroger thing right now though.

However, a few weeks ago I was in Wal-Mart, probably wearing a mask but I don't recall. There was this 20 something year old standing right in the middle of the aisle and I walked behind her and she turned around and was a real smartass saying I should social distance. I'm generally a very calm individual but kind of let her have it. Then when I saw her later in another part of the store and I asked her if she had anything else to say. Not really happy I lost it on her like that but the absurdity of willingly going shopping and standing in the middle of an aisle and acting like everyone else should give you the enter damn aisle because you are special was too much.
We still do curbside pickup. I ordered 4 bone-in pork chops the other day. They should’ve been about 1 inch thick and 1.5-2 pounds worth. Instead I got a 3 pack of thinly sliced ones that totaled about 0.6 pounds. Gd, I was furious. I HATE having somebody pick out my produce and meat for me. I haven’t been in a store since early March and it doesn’t look like that’s gonna change anytime soon.

To the question earlier, yes I wear a mask when I go into any place of business. I go into Target still and I’ve gone to a few doctors/hospitals. Wearing one totals like 10-15 minutes a day. It’s hardly an inconvenience.

I don't think everyone wearing masks in public is common sense.
Right now, with the knowledge we have.....no. But when the numbers were exploding in certain areas--certainly. We have one active case in our city of 50K. the only one in a month---and its not serious. Just quarantined. Everyone being required to mask up is probably not a must here.

We still do curbside pickup. I ordered 4 bone-in pork chops the other day. They should’ve been about 1 inch thick and 1.5-2 pounds worth. Instead I got a 3 pack of thinly sliced ones that totaled about 0.6 pounds. Gd, I was furious. I HATE having somebody pick out my produce and meat for me. I haven’t been in a store since early March and it doesn’t look like that’s gonna change anytime soon.

To the question earlier, yes I wear a mask when I go into any place of business. I go into Target still and I’ve gone to a few doctors/hospitals. Wearing one totals like 10-15 minutes a day. It’s hardly an inconvenience.
You get ****ed on curb side groceries. Wilted lettuce, worst looking fruit, worst cut of meat----it has to be on purpose.

I wear one when it feels appropriate. I did not wear one when I went to buy a chainsaw at the hardware store last night---saw about 15 people---nobody had one on. All cashiers have the plexiglass here and the service dept guys obviously dont give a shit. Rules have been way relaxed around here.

You get ****ed on curb side groceries. Wilted lettuce, worst looking fruit, worst cut of meat----it has to be on purpose.

I wear one when it feels appropriate. I did not wear one when I went to buy a chainsaw at the hardware store last night---saw about 15 people---nobody had one on. All cashiers have the plexiglass here and the service dept guys obviously dont give a shit. Rules have been way relaxed around here.
Just curuious, why are you buying a chainsaw?

If people are really that worried about catching COVID in public they should probably wear eye protection, too. We are told that prescription glasses aren't adequate coverage so get some safety goggles.

If people are really that worried about catching COVID in public they should probably wear eye protection, too. We are told that prescription glasses aren't adequate coverage so get some safety goggles.
Isn’t the whole point of wearing a mask to protect others and not necessarily protect yourself?

Reactions: UL_1986
Isn’t the whole point of wearing a mask to protect others and not necessarily protect yourself?

If I scan COVID positive patient, direct contact exams that sometimes take 30-40 minutes, they don't wear a mask while I do.

If someone is worried about catching the virus in public then wear a mask, practice good and hygiene, and don't get close to people. They should be just fine whether or not I wear a mask, especially if I have no symptoms.

If I scan COVID positive patient, direct contact exams that sometimes take 30-40 minutes, they don't wear a mask while I do.

If someone is worried about catching the virus in public then wear a mask, practice good and hygiene, and don't get close to people. They should be just fine whether or not I wear a mask, especially if I have no symptoms.
I think a lot of people are wearing masks in public because they don't want to contribute to community spread if they happen to have it. Atleast that's what people I know are doing and that's why many businesses are asking people to wear masks in their stores. They'd hate to unknowingly contribute to the pandemic.

Your hospital doesn't require everybody who comes in to wear one? Ours do.

I think a lot of people are wearing masks in public because they don't want to contribute to community spread if they happen to have it. Atleast that's what people I know are doing and that's why many businesses are asking people to wear masks in their stores. They'd hate to unknowingly contribute to the pandemic.

I've never worked at a hospital where they made inpatients wear a mask in their inpatient room and I've worked for 6 different hospitals.

Like I've said, I completely agree with businesses choosing whether or not they want to enforce a "must wear a mask" policy. Menards and Home Depot are right next to each other. Menards requires a mask, Home Depot doesn't. As a consumer, I get to choose which one I'd rather go to. Do I want something from Menards? Great, put a mask on and follow their policy. Do I want something from Home Depot? Great, wear a mask if I want to.

I've never worked at a hospital where they made inpatients wear a mask in their inpatient room and I've worked for 6 different hospitals.
They've been requiring all people who enter the hospitals to wear them here ever since the outbreak started. Doctors offices are requiring their patients to wear them at all times as well. I'm not sure if they're making people keep them on after checking into their appts. with employees like yourself though. I just know if you're walking around the place you need to be wearing one.

They've been requiring all people who enter the hospitals to wear them here ever since the outbreak started. Doctors offices are requiring their patients to wear them at all times as well. I'm not sure if they're making people keep them on after checking into their appts. with employees like yourself though. I just know if you're walking around the place you need to be wearing one.

Yes, everyone entering the hospital wears one.

Just curuious, why are you buying a chainsaw?
Storm rolled thru sunday night. Had an enormous branch fail about 25ft up. Missed my wrot iron fence and pool house by inches. Problem is...it was a dangler, not a clean break. Not a project for the pole saw and Ive been wanting to get my own instead of borrowing my dads. I picked up the 16inch 270 Stihl. Cuts like butter. I couldnt figure out a way to guarantee the angle at which it fell b/c it wasnt a clean break. Decided to rope it near the bottom 3rd and hook it up to my side by side. I yanked that baby right off and then cut it up.

Glad I didnt have to get the 25 ft extension ladder out and hang out over the edge with the saw.! Then, being a guy with a new saw---decided to trim up a few other trees.

You know anything about saws?

Storm rolled thru sunday night. Had an enormous branch fail about 25ft up. Missed my wrot iron fence and pool house by inches. Problem is...it was a dangler, not a clean break. Not a project for the pole saw and Ive been wanting to get my own instead of borrowing my dads. I picked up the 16inch 270 Stihl. Cuts like butter. I couldnt figure out a way to guarantee the angle at which it fell b/c it wasnt a clean break. Decided to rope it near the bottom 3rd and hook it up to my side by side. I yanked that baby right off and then cut it up.

Glad I didnt have to get the 25 ft extension ladder out and hang out over the edge with the saw.! Then, being a guy with a new saw---decided to trim up a few other trees.

You know anything about saws?
a bit, my FIL had a logging company. worked for him a bit until poison ivy took over.

Stll drove the logging trucks when I was 14. after that I just drove the dozers to grate ppls yards and shit....to make them even and flat.

I know very little about saws other than how to sharpen them daily, fluids, and basic use. haven't used one in years.

*I had a load of logs fall on me once. that hurt like bastard. my FIL has had 5 loads of logs fall on him over the years. chains break and the logs roll right off. He's dead now, but not from logs, brass knuckles.

Last edited:
a bit, my FIL had a logging company. worked for him a bit until poison ivy took over.

Stll drove the logging trucks when I was 14. after that I just drove the dozers to grate ppls yards and shit....to make them even and flat.

I know very little about saws other than how to sharpen them daily, fluids, and basic use. haven't used one in years.

*I had a load of logs fall on me once. that hurt like bastard. my FIL has had 5 loads of logs fall on him over the years. chains break and the logs roll right off. He's dead now, but not from logs, brass knuckles.
Ha---Ive got a little poison ivy right now on my forearm--hate it. I went over to the river bed to cut back another one that fell---long story short, very muddy, slipped a little and went to deep and the log pinched my saw. Pretty sure I screwed up bar a little getting it out---had some tracking issues after that. Go figure I'd mess it up on the first day. I dont have a bunch of experience servicing them, other than fluids and tightening the blade. Luckily Stihl comes with a 2 yr service and warranty program---hopefully they will fix me up.

I can have one little bubble of poison ivy, i'll have it everywhere. I can't count the amount of cortozone shots 've got over the years. my eyeswill swell shut.

I'm getting old. tore down that wall yesterday and I'm felling it today. Jesus wept.

Wife is working today, but off for the next week or so. I've cleaned everything and packing constantly. doing car work and more packing today.....just trying to stay busy. I let my job know I won't be returning.

*shit thought I was in the otherthread...my bad.

Last edited:
I definitely would. I’m hugging friends and family members, hanging out with people. Pretty normal as far as the social aspect at this point.

This is the right answer. Everyone knows the virus is less dangerous than the common flu. All kinds of monetary , political and medical reasons for causing panic. Lets grab a beer on zoom.

No doubt everybody's situation and interaction with others is gonna be different. Do you come into contact with anybody elderly or close to it? Family, etc?
Eh, not that it's any of your business but my father in-law. I take precautions around him and he is basically sheltering in place which is a shit way to live but hey, I guess you're alive even if you're miserable so let's shut the world down.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT