ADVERTISEMENT

Ot Poll: covid related

Would you sit at a bar next to a stranger today?

• Total voters
I'm 44 so not really doing the sitting at the bar with strangers much. However, in late June the wife and I are staying in The Gulch in Nashville for a couple of nights and will be walking around doing some drinking so will then maybe.

It’s all in fun. How you doing man?
Doing fine minus work. Though it's hard to complain about work when so many people are out of work and out of money and we're just trucking along.

In the past two weeks. I've had a client murdered, a client arrested for murder (unrelated) and a client die from an overdose. Oh, and an ex client murdered. I did get to see some awkward boobs though.

Reactions: bkingUK
Hah hah hah hah! I've taken like that EXACT same photo a dozen times... got the same hammock, and sit there and drink and read:)

In terms of how it spreads, it really depends. There was a great piece, I can't remember where I saw it, but it discussed several different... AH! I just found it!

So, a biology professor from UMass-Darmouth with a background in infectious diseases wrote this analysis of a number of case studies... it seems that air flow, coupled with the length of time that one spends in air that contains covid, plays a big part in what your chances are of getting it.

He specifically uses a restaurant outbreak, a workplace outbreak, a choir practice outbreak, a birthday and funeral outbreak, and and sporting event outbreak. I haven't read it in a week or so (going back to re-read it, now that I've gotta start gathering information to be on this damn school reopening committee) but IIRC it depended a lot on if there was enough fresh air, how air conditioning and the like moved airs indoors, and how loudly/with how much projection people spoke. Basically, if you are in lots of fresh air and people aren't being loud, you are in good shape, but if you are indoors in a place for a long time, or in the path of airflow from someone who is sick, you are much more at risk.

It looks long, but is a quick read, and worth reading if you are interested in which sorts of places and situations seem to lead to spread, and which don't.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/th...te=1&user_id=156682bd8b06bd631cd230828b14acfb
Like you and others have said. It is largely dependent on where you live. My comfort level is going to be a lot better than yours for example. On a smaller note, I would 100% feel comfortable going to my local bar because it is about 90% locals and my little town outside of Wilmington has zero cases. I know this doesn't mean that it won't spread here. But if I were across the state in Charlotte, I would likely wait a little while longer.

Agree. I’m in central NJ and the answer will probably be no for most of us in the region.

Whats up, NJ!

Gotta say, it is getting better at least! It's been pretty ****ing bleak, the last few months.

BTW, what your feelings on the shore? We cancelled our shore trip, because frankly I just don't trust other people not to be idiots, and the wife felt we'd be nervous the whole time, which isn't much fun. We've got a great backyard... a few months frolicking in the pool back there isn't such a bad thing:)

Whats up, NJ!

Gotta say, it is getting better at least! It's been pretty ****ing bleak, the last few months.

BTW, what your feelings on the shore? We cancelled our shore trip, because frankly I just don't trust other people not to be idiots, and the wife felt we'd be nervous the whole time, which isn't much fun. We've got a great backyard... a few months frolicking in the pool back there isn't such a bad thing:)

Yeah, things aren’t quite as bad as they’ve been but still pretty far from normal.

I can’t blame you on the shore. I probably wouldn’t do it right now, but I still have to be pretty careful because there’s a high risk person in my life that I still see pretty frequently.

Yeah, things aren’t quite as bad as they’ve been but still pretty far from normal.

I can’t blame you on the shore. I probably wouldn’t do it right now, but I still have to be pretty careful because there’s a high risk person in my life that I still see pretty frequently.

No no, I'm in the same boat... I have got to see my mom, and she is like 80, so we've been SUPER super careful. Just lost dad a few months ago, I can't leave, or lose, mom, you know?

No no, I'm in the same boat... I have got to see my mom, and she is like 80, so we've been SUPER super careful. Just lost dad a few months ago, I can't leave, or lose, mom, you know?

I get it for sure. Sorry for your loss.

Btw, check out the differences... Letsgo, you are in NC, right?

NC is at 211 cases per 100k people, and 22k cases total.

NJ is at 1,700 cases per 100k... so nearly nine times as many... and about 155k cases total.

Btw... I do think that we have to acknowledge that a good number of Americans did fairly well with this... like, took the call to flatten the curve seriously, and really did a lot, and sacrificed a lot, for a few months to do so, and stop the spread. We have apparently avoided some of the worst case scenarios by having some pretty strict measures in place in many, many places.

Reactions: GhostOf301
Btw, check out the differences... Letsgo, you are in NC, right?

NC is at 211 cases per 100k people, and 22k cases total.

NJ is at 1,700 cases per 100k... so nearly nine times as many... and about 155k cases total.

Btw... I do think that we have to acknowledge that a good number of Americans did fairly well with this... like, took the call to flatten the curve seriously, and really did a lot, and sacrificed a lot, for a few months to do so, and stop the spread. We have apparently avoided some of the worst case scenarios by having some pretty strict measures in place in many, many places.
I have been saying this from the time it became apparent. That's what I meant when I said my comfort level was a lot higher than yours. Not because of OUR differences, but because of the differences in the effects on our areas. It's not just a state by state thing either. It also makes a difference WHERE you are in a particular state. Of the almost 22,000 cases in North Carolina, only 187 of them are represented by our 3 county area. It's also important to look at the numbers on a current level, hospitalizations and origins. When you see 22,000, you don't see that those are a total since what, February, January? Not current cases. You have to see current numbers in order to feel comfortable or uncomfortable.

I respect the fact that my opinions are selfishly based on my area and would be drastically different if I lived in NJ or NY. Or even in Charlotte for that matter.

My point in the thread was to get an idea of where everyone's comfort level was, not a push to open everywhere up. Good conversation so far anyways.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
What better place to social distance?

20200523-113217.jpg

Reactions: toonces11
I have been saying this from the time it became apparent. That's what I meant when I said my comfort level was a lot higher than yours. Not because of OUR differences, but because of the differences in the effects on our areas. It's not just a state by state thing either. It also makes a difference WHERE you are in a particular state. Of the almost 22,000 cases in North Carolina, only 187 of them are represented by our 3 county area. It's also important to look at the numbers on a current level, hospitalizations and origins. When you see 22,000, you don't see that those are a total since what, February, January? Not current cases. You have to see current numbers in order to feel comfortable or uncomfortable.

I respect the fact that my opinions are selfishly based on my area and would be drastically different if I lived in NJ or NY. Or even in Charlotte for that matter.

My point in the thread was to get an idea of where everyone's comfort level was, not a push to open everywhere up. Good conversation so far anyways.
I live in NC too. I live in Granville County and we’ve had less than 250 known cases based on the most recent numbers that I’ve found and a large percentage of those cases have been inside the federal prison.

I live in Warren County, Kentucky and we have had 5 Covid19 deaths. Warren County has 132,896 people as of last year (it may be down to 132,891 now!). 5 divided by 132896 yields a whopping .0038%.

My odds of dying from a lot of stuff is higher that Covid19.

What are you drinking Ghost? I will have Makers on the rocks and I will pick up the tab.
Hah, I live in Warren county Ohio. Small world.

Played in a golf tournament this weekend and afterwards my wife wanted to go to a friend's house... Told her have fun, been sitting at home for months now. Spent the afternoon on the patio with about 30 other people drinking and having a good time. Also shook hands with everyone I played with, it was glorious. Tired of this shit, if I get sick I get sick and I will have to live or die with the consequences.

Was picking up some stuff to grill at fruit / veggie market. Small little place with fresh produce. In walks a blonde lady, maybe mid-40’s, wearing a MAGA hat and no mask. Sign on door clearly says no mask no service.

I knew then this was going to be an entertaining trip to market.

Sixteen year old girl at counter first asks her to put on mask. Lady says she refuses to do that because she lives in “America.” Another lady jumps in immediately saying “because we don’t live in America, lady”. Manager at deli pounces and says something like “ma’am, you’re going to need a mask or we are going to have to ask you to leave.”

MAGA lady then says something about “the ****ing liberals and Andy Beshear (our governor)” and storms out. Awkward silence ensued until I asked girl if avocados can fight covid. No idea why I asked that. It felt right.

She said “maybe?”

Reactions: UL_1986
Was picking up some stuff to grill at fruit / veggie market. Small little place with fresh produce. In walks a blonde lady, maybe mid-40’s, wearing a MAGA hat and no mask. Sign on door clearly says no mask no service.

Sixteen year old girl at counter first asks her to put on mask. Lady says she refuses to do that because she lives in “America.” Another lady jumps in immediately saying “because we don’t live in America, lady”. Manager at deli pounces and says something like “ma’am, you’re going to need a mask or we are going to have to ask you to leave.”

MAGA lady then says something about “the ****ing liberals and Andy Beshear (our governor)” and storms out. Awkward silence ensued until I asked girl if avocados can fight covid. No idea why I asked that. It felt right.

She said “maybe?”
Lol that’s great Laughing. Poor Karen is so oppressed!

Reactions: bkingUK
We found a bar that is defying our governor's order. We gladly gave them some business on this beautiful day. @bkingUK you would have loved the view.

20200525-123326.jpg

Reactions: toonces11
If it happens it happens. I'm not living my life in a bubble because someone might die. Now I'm not going out coughing on people or anything stupid, I wear a mask and nitrile gloves at work, wash my hands as much as possible, etc.
If people are scared, stay home. We take risks every day. If you don't want to take that risk, stay home and let the rest of the world live their lives. When did it become our responsibility for other people not to get sick? Obviously I am not saying we should expose the at risk folks. But they should be the ones taking precautions, not everyone else.

She said “maybe?”

A good perfectly ripe avocado is one of the best things ever.

If it happens it happens. I'm not living my life in a bubble because someone might die. Now I'm not going out coughing on people or anything stupid, I wear a mask and nitrile gloves at work, wash my hands as much as possible, etc.

No doubt everybody's situation and interaction with others is gonna be different. Do you come into contact with anybody elderly or close to it? Family, etc?

As with any business, they have a right to set their own policies. Like, shirts and shoes required. I will respect a business if they require you to wear a mask. As far as wearing one outside? Nah. Not doing it. I don't feel comfortable wearing one and there is no reason to get used to it. We went to the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago. Outside, plenty of space to keep your distance and they were requiring you to wear a mask. No big deal, we just went to the garden center at Lowes.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
As with any business, they have a right to set their own policies. Like, shirts and shoes required. I will respect a business if they require you to wear a mask. As far as wearing one outside? Nah. Not doing it. I don't feel comfortable wearing one and there is no reason to get used to it. We went to the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago. Outside, plenty of space to keep your distance and they were requiring you to wear a mask. No big deal, we just went to the garden center at Lowes.

Exactly this

Matt Jones made a good point on this. If you’re mad that you’re required to wear a mask places, why aren’t you mad you’re required to wear clothes?

Also, these people who don’t wear masks to prove they aren’t afraid of a virus while walking around with assault weapons are hypocritical as ****.

Reactions: UL_1986
ADVERTISEMENT