ADVERTISEMENT

Ot Poll: covid related

Would you sit at a bar next to a stranger today?

• Total voters
**** no. I am not some huge fan of sitting at bars with strangers anyway, I prefer to drink at home with friends. But especially not now. Having a drink ain't worth the chance of getting sick or getting my mom sick.

Reactions: catman111
**** no. I am not some huge fan of sitting at bars with strangers anyway, I prefer to drink at home with friends. But especially not now. Having a drink ain't worth the chance of getting sick or getting my mom sick.
Come on down to the clean south and have a beer.

Reactions: tw3301 and SNU0821
Come on down to the clean south and have a beer.
I live in Warren County, Kentucky and we have had 5 Covid19 deaths. Warren County has 132,896 people as of last year (it may be down to 132,891 now!). 5 divided by 132896 yields a whopping .0038%.

My odds of dying from a lot of stuff is higher that Covid19.

What are you drinking Ghost? I will have Makers on the rocks and I will pick up the tab.

I'd probably have no problem stdning next to some random while I order a drink--but its not in my nature to be shoulder to shoulder with a stranger anyways. I sat right next to friends last night at dinner and talked to many more, just like normal. The biggest threat the virus bestows on me is damaging the economy and not having companies and industry thriving.

Just got back from a week at my sister's house in Louisville. 3 of her neighbors have a combined 5 kids who were all in one yard playing together and being happy kids. It was good to see. We rode bikes to New Albany, Indiana and sat outside a bar having drinks and you could hardly tell there was a pandemic. I visited another Louisville friend who has two kids and his wife told me I was the first "outsider" that had been in their home since this began. We all had a nice/stress free time and nobody was afraid to give hugs or possibly drink from the same glass.

I was in Chicago for three weeks before heading to Louisville, and things are turning towards "normal", but still a lot further away than Louisville. My girlfriend's building still requires masks when entering or leaving. Traffic on the expressway in and out of Chicago was not a jammed up as it would normally be, but it was a lot heavier than it was in April.

As others have said, it depends on where you live.

Just got back from a week at my sister's house in Louisville. 3 of her neighbors have a combined 5 kids who were all in one yard playing together and being happy kids. It was good to see. We rode bikes to New Albany, Indiana and sat outside a bar having drinks and you could hardly tell there was a pandemic. I visited another Louisville friend who has two kids and his wife told me I was the first "outsider" that had been in their home since this began. We all had a nice/stress free time and nobody was afraid to give hugs or possibly drink from the same glass.

I was in Chicago for three weeks before heading to Louisville, and things are turning towards "normal", but still a lot further away than Louisville. My girlfriend's building still requires masks when entering or leaving. Traffic on the expressway in and out of Chicago was not a jammed up as it would normally be, but it was a lot heavier than it was in April.

All of Illinois requires masks to be worn in all buildings, stores etc. I don't think we're anywhere close to what you describe in Louisville. All our bars are closed, restaurants are take out only. this is supposed to change June 1 when bars and restaurants will be allowed to start doing outdoor service.

Word is that on June 1 we will also be allowed to play sports, but have to limit it to 10 total people.

Biking to New Albany is a good little ride.

Most people I talk to in Louisville are rolling this way. We kept a tight group on the downlow through the worst of it and just grilled out at each other’s houses with kids and all that. But we also have a rule not to let the contaminated in the group. My friend on the front lines gets a lot of “we aren’t doing anything tonight” responses when he asks. I send him free food in return out of guilt.

That's one of those studies that is factual, but it is so obvious it doesn't mean anything significant.

Like this phrase is 100% true, but useless: Since the Fayette and Jefferson county outbreaks of Covid19, no Kentucky county that voted for Hillary has had even a single case detected.

We enter "phase 2" of lifting restrictions at 5 PM today in North Carolina. Restaurants can serve at 50% capacity, but bars, salons and gyms cannot open for 5 more weeks. You can now have indoor gatherings of up to 10 people and outdoor gatherings of up to 25 people. But the beaches have lifted all restrictions minus the 10 per group and 6ft distance guidelines. People haven't been "staying home" around here except for the first few weeks of this pandemic.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
at the bar no problem sitting at the same table problem. into socializing but not that close.

I don't drink anymore. But how shit is going, I'm thinking of getting back in da game..And yes, I would. This ****in virus has cost me enough already

We enter "phase 2" of lifting restrictions at 5 PM today in North Carolina. Restaurants can serve at 50% capacity, but bars, salons and gyms cannot open for 5 more weeks. You can now have indoor gatherings of up to 10 people and outdoor gatherings of up to 25 people. But the beaches have lifted all restrictions minus the 10 per group and 6ft distance guidelines. People haven't been "staying home" around here except for the first few weeks of this pandemic.
Are the number restrictions based strictly on the Ro guess? For example, mathmatically how many people could potentially be infected if one person in a gathering of 25 is positive---and how many people those 25 come into contact with afterwards?

I don't drink anymore. But how shit is going, I'm thinking of getting back in da game..And yes, I would. This ****in virus has cost me enough already
You think you could and just limit the volumn, or do you think you'd just fall off a cliff?

Are the number restrictions based strictly on the Ro guess? For example, mathmatically how many people could potentially be infected if one person in a gathering of 25 is positive---and how many people those 25 come into contact with afterwards?
Your guess is as good as mine.

There's a thread for this. This isn't meant to be a political pissing match.

It was more of a reference to Bert claiming his area isn’t affected while Western Kentucky has one of highest concentration of infections in Kentucky, but roll with it as you will.

You think you could and just limit the volumn, or do you think you'd just fall off a cliff?
Off a BIG cliff. I quit 8 years ago; May 17th. Being an alcoholic sucks..
BTW, I went fishing instead. Bass were on fire. Missed 2 really good fellas. One I dunno how she got off. Never broke water. I think when she ran me into some weeds, she loosened up the set. Dunno. Mad as ****. But a good time. Needed it. Bad.

The bar that I go to in my hometown has a back deck and before all of this started I’d spend probably 80-90% of the time I was at the bar sitting on the back deck. The only time I’d really go inside wasto get a drink or to use the restroom. Here in N.C. our Governor was originally going to let bars reopen at a limited capacity but decided to keep bars closed until phase 3. If bars would’ve been allowed to reopen during phase 2 the guidelines would’ve been 50% capacity or 12 people per 1000 square feet which would’ve meant that my local bar would’ve only been allowed to have 24 people including employees inside the bar at anytime. Even if bars here would’ve been allowed to reopen even at a limited capacity I probably would’ve waited a little longer before going to the bar because I’ve been dealing with sinus problems for the last 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: GhostOf301
Covid life aint bad

Hah hah hah hah! I've taken like that EXACT same photo a dozen times... got the same hammock, and sit there and drink and read:)

Your guess is as good as mine.

In terms of how it spreads, it really depends. There was a great piece, I can't remember where I saw it, but it discussed several different... AH! I just found it!

So, a biology professor from UMass-Darmouth with a background in infectious diseases wrote this analysis of a number of case studies... it seems that air flow, coupled with the length of time that one spends in air that contains covid, plays a big part in what your chances are of getting it.

He specifically uses a restaurant outbreak, a workplace outbreak, a choir practice outbreak, a birthday and funeral outbreak, and and sporting event outbreak. I haven't read it in a week or so (going back to re-read it, now that I've gotta start gathering information to be on this damn school reopening committee) but IIRC it depended a lot on if there was enough fresh air, how air conditioning and the like moved airs indoors, and how loudly/with how much projection people spoke. Basically, if you are in lots of fresh air and people aren't being loud, you are in good shape, but if you are indoors in a place for a long time, or in the path of airflow from someone who is sick, you are much more at risk.

It looks long, but is a quick read, and worth reading if you are interested in which sorts of places and situations seem to lead to spread, and which don't.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/th...te=1&user_id=156682bd8b06bd631cd230828b14acfb

Last edited:
BTW, my principal is going to regret me being on this committee... I'm the only one looking up information for a committee that hasn't officially been recognized yet, and DEFINITELY the only one sending him work emails about it at 10:30 on a Friday night Laughing

Hah hah hah hah! I've taken like that EXACT same photo a dozen times... got the same hammock, and sit there and drink and read:)

In terms of how it spreads, it really depends. There was a great piece, I can't remember where I saw it, but it discussed several different... AH! I just found it!

So, a biology professor from UMass-Darmouth with a background in infectious diseases wrote this analysis of a number of case studies... it seems that air flow, coupled with the length of time that one spends in air that contains covid, plays a big part in what your chances are of getting it.

He specifically uses a restaurant outbreak, a restaurant outbreak, a workplace outbreak, a choir practice outbreak, a birthday and funeral outbreak, and and sporting event outbreak. I haven't read it in a week or so (going back to re-read it, now that I've gotta start gathering information to be on this damn school reopening committee) but IIRC it depended a lot on of there was enough fresh air, how air conditioning and the like moved airs indoors, and how loudly/with how much projection people spoke. Basically, if you are in lots of fresh air and people aren't being loud, you are in good shape, but if you are indoors in a place for a long time, or in the path of airflow from someone who is sick, you are much more at risk.

It looks long, but is a quick read, and worth reading if you are interested in which sorts of places and situations seem to lead to spread, and which don't.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/th...te=1&user_id=156682bd8b06bd631cd230828b14acfb
Have read that before about time in proximity. Appears to be biggest factor in things I’ve read.

Reactions: TheDude1
BTW, my principal is going to regret me being on this committee... I'm the only one looking up information for a committee that hasn't officially been recognized yet, and DEFINITELY the only one sending him work emails about it at 10:30 on a Friday night Laughing
Tough when info changes by the day

Reactions: tw3301
Tough when info changes by the day

If info changes, you just need to account for that change:) I mean, that is natural, you know? In war, info changes from day to day... in economics, info changes from day to day... in sports, info changes from day to day... you take what information you get, and process it through education, experience, and wisdom, right? Hey... you can only do what you can do, but being well informed is pretty important, especially if you find yourself in a position where you might have to make serious recommendations or decisions.

BTW, f’ing covid... I had to double check that it was, indeed, Friday night:)

ADVERTISEMENT