ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My son leaves for the Navy, next Monday(26th).

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
I thought I was ready. Apparently I am not. He just called and we were just talking hoops and stuff. And it just hit me----In a little over a week I won't have that luxury of picking up the phone and calling him. Or sending him a tect every morning at 6;30, with a simple "I love you kiddo". After the 26th, it will be some 16 weeks before I can do that. I don't why all the sudden this came over me. Maybe b/c I am now realizing my son is, well..........leaving. Not for an overnight at a friends house. Or a vacation. Or a camping trip. But he is leaving for the Navy. Just a tad tougher than I thought it would be.

What stinks is next weekend I have my first college baseball series. He's going to Indianapolis on Sunday afternoon. I cannot cancel my games. So I can't have that weekend(with him). I told him thiugh---I will be there Monday morning for breakfast. And I will be there ro see you off. His respnse was golden:

YOu'll be there this weekend to dad-----Pointing at his heart.

I guess THAT is what got me, huh?

Just thought I'd share.

I thought I was ready. Apparently I am not. He just called and we were just talking hoops and stuff. And it just hit me----In a little over a week I won't have that luxury of picking up the phone and calling him. Or sending him a tect every morning at 6;30, with a simple "I love you kiddo". After the 26th, it will be some 16 weeks before I can do that. I don't why all the sudden this came over me. Maybe b/c I am now realizing my son is, well..........leaving. Not for an overnight at a friends house. Or a vacation. Or a camping trip. But he is leaving for the Navy. Just a tad tougher than I thought it would be.

What stinks is next weekend I have my first college baseball series. He's going to Indianapolis on Sunday afternoon. I cannot cancel my games. So I can't have that weekend(with him). I told him thiugh---I will be there Monday morning for breakfast. And I will be there ro see you off. His respnse was golden:

Just thought I'd share.

Good man! Navy vet here. What’s his specialty Borden?

That’s great, congrats!
Yes it is. He get a $10k bonus; 5k after basic. The other 5 after AIT. I told him---"Son getting a $10 thousand dollar head start on life is a blessing." Extremely proud of him. Extremely.

And thank you for your sevice my good man. Army vet here myself.

Reactions: AWilli6995

Just thought I'd share.

Your son is a brave man who will make his country proud. I thank him for his service!

Your son is a brave man who will make his country proud. I thank him for his service!
Thank you Boiler. No doubt he will. But the brave part? Meh....he's my son after all. And dude-------I hate----I mean HATE, the dark. Toldmy wife when we first met. "I have one rule. Whoever hears the noise, CHECKS on the noise".

That simple.

Just thought I'd share.
You did good buddy. Thank you for raising such a fine young man, and thank you for his service. Be proud as you send him off. You did a hell of a job.

You did good buddy. Thank you for raising such a fine young man, and thank you for his service. Be proud as you send him off. You did a hell of a job.
Thank ya. His momma did a hell of a job as well. As a wife, she suck dick. Well not literally. Kinda of why we divorced. But anyways.....She is owed a ton of credit as well.

But thank you. Very proud. Gonna be a rough week. I look forward to him starting his life, but....................Well, you'll find out one day.

Reactions: npreston
Congrats man. I have a 17 month old. His mom took him to grandma's for the weekend (I had to fly the 2 star this morning so I didn't get to go). They left yesterday. Been sitting here looking at pictures for an hour. I miss that dude. Not ready for him to do anything like that. Probably won't ever be.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Congrats man. I have a 17 month old. His mom took him to grandma's for the weekend (I had to fly the 2 star this morning so I didn't get to go). They left yesterday. Been sitting here looking at pictures for an hour. I miss that dude. Not ready for him to do anything like that. Probably won't ever be.
Kids are special man. Enjoy every moment. Take advantage of every and any free time you have. Go for walks. Fishing. Camping. Enjoy these moments in the early parts of his life. Because man----the time just goes. One day I'm watching him fall off his bike. The next? I'm seeing him off to the Navy.

Shewww.

Reactions: npreston and IZAC

Just thought I'd share.

My son enlistesed in the USAF, Low Observable Aircraft Structural Maintenance, duty station Mildenhall England. 100th Maintenance Wing. Proud to have raised a country loving flag saluter, but miss him greatly.

Damn brings me back to all those years ago when I joined the Navy. Had I stayed in I wouldn't be too far off from retiring.

Just tell him it's all a game at ETC but to hang in there. Learn his ranks before he arrives. Also tell him to get use to the term "Hurry up and wait".

As for you send him mail. I use to love it when my parents sent me mail. Especially with Braves updates as I went off a week after opening day.

Time will fly for you but will go slow for him. Felt like those firdt two weeks took forever for me.

Congrats on your son. Mine is only 13 but is into elite travel baseball. I try to go as much as I can but in the summer he plays in Georgia & Florida A LOT. I miss him like crazy, I can’t even begin to imagine what you’re going through.
You have a son to proud of & God bless him for his service!!!!!!

Navy Seabee here. Left for boot camp a month after I turned 18 and graduated high school. Held it together all the way up to the point I had to say goodbye to my family. I cried, my dad cried (first time I ever saw him cry), hugged him and was on my way. Best decision I ever made. Your son will be fine, I'm sure you're proud of him.

Damn brings me back to all those years ago when I joined the Navy. Had I stayed in I wouldn't be too far off from retiring.

Just tell him it's all a game at ETC but to hang in there. Learn his ranks before he arrives. Also tell him to get use to the term "Hurry up and wait".

As for you send him mail. I use to love it when my parents sent me mail. Especially with Braves updates as I went off a week after opening day.

Time will fly for you but will go slow for him. Felt like those firdt two weeks took forever for me.
I was in the Army and have tried to help him along, i.e. saluting procedures, marching, etc, etc...But I do not know the customs, procedures of the NAvy. So not sure how much I am helping him.

Told him the first 2-3 weeks will seem to take forever, but once your training starts, it will be over before you know it. I didn't have the time to miss home after those first few weeks.

Mail was awesome. Especially newspaper clippings of IU basketball. BUT.....I have told his mom-------NO sad shit. How much she misses him. Blah, blah, blah. I got a letter like that, and it messed with me for a week.

Very proud of my dude. But as it gets closer----Well, it gets emotional.

Congrat to your son, Borden.

My son put in twenty years in the Army/National Guard. He now will get an officers retirement when he turns 60. Iraqi veteran and my hero.

Best of luck to your son.
Thanks Bert. Been meaning to call you with the news. His ship date was suppose to have been at the end of March. But a spot opened up, and he jumped on it. Kinda of quicker than I was expecting. But looking forward to my son starting and creating a good life. ALways a proud moment as a parent(s).

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Navy Seabee here. Left for boot camp a month after I turned 18 and graduated high school. Held it together all the way up to the point I had to say goodbye to my family. I cried, my dad cried (first time I ever saw him cry), hugged him and was on my way. Best decision I ever made. Your son will be fine, I'm sure you're proud of him.
Yeah Monday will be a tough day. It was for me when I left. He's a strong minded, faith grounded young man. His mom has done a terrific job. I wasn't always there due to my travel(basketball/baseball), but these past feew years he and I have became a lot closer.

I love that dude. Gonna miss him.

My son enlistesed in the USAF, Low Observable Aircraft Structural Maintenance, duty station Mildenhall England. 100th Maintenance Wing. Proud to have raised a country loving flag saluter, but miss him greatly.
Yes, sir. I think a huge part of my sons decision was based on my military service. But I told him---":You have to do this for you. I'm not the one who has to honor the committment---you do". I've tried to instill the best morals, values that I could. I wasn't always available due to my officiating. And I regret that to an extent now. But as he said---"You were supporting your family---and me, dad". Just a great kid. I mean yeah I am biased. But I couldn't be more proud of how he has turned out.

Reactions: Hawk_Circle_Hoosier
Thanks Bert. Been meaning to call you with the news. His ship date was suppose to have been at the end of March. But a spot opened up, and he jumped on it. Kinda of quicker than I was expecting. But looking forward to my son starting and creating a good life. ALways a proud moment as a parent(s).
Maybe he will turn out to be a man, equal to his father!

Borden, you may root for the wrong team (along with being a damned official) but you are a fine man.SmokinSmile

That is what counts in life.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Maybe he will turn out to be a man, equal to his father!

Borden, you may root for the wrong team (along with being a damned official) but you are a fine man.SmokinSmile

That is what counts in life.
Thank you Bert. He's a fine young man. Just got off the phone with him. Having a dinner for him Wed night. He's staying over and going to my baseball game Friday. Looking forward to these next few days.

15171303_141438223000177_5104470342928834131_n.jpg

Me and my dude.......

Best of luck to him and thank him for his service. Will he be on board or land locked? Hopefully he can see the world during his tour.

Best of luck to him and thank him for his service. Will he be on board or land locked? Hopefully he can see the world during his tour.
I'm honestly not sure. All I know is his basic is at Great Lakes. His "A" school at Lackland AFB and "C" school.

Flight leaves Monday, around 3. As of now.

Getting close.

Yes, sir. I think a huge part of my sons decision was based on my military service. But I told him---":You have to do this for you. I'm not the one who has to honor the committment---you do". I've tried to instill the best morals, values that I could. I wasn't always available due to my officiating. And I regret that to an extent now. But as he said---"You were supporting your family---and me, dad". Just a great kid. I mean yeah I am biased. But I couldn't be more proud of how he has turned out.

May the Lord Jesus bless your home and familly....

Wow, congrats to your son for his amazing decision and his amazing sacrifice. I know it has to be tough to see him off but that amazing feeling of pride for your son has to be awesome. A huge thank you to your son for his service and to you and your wife for helping raise such a courageous boy. Good luck to him and God bless.

Tell him to quit being a nub and get qualified something already.

Just kidding, sorta.

The most important advice I could give your son is, no matter what his long term goals with regards to the Navy are, to work like he plans on retiring. He needs to spend his first couple years learning his job inside and out, volunteering for the jobs no one wants, and just supporting those he works with in whatever way possible. Then, he needs to work on himself for a couple years. Take some college classes, obtain certifications that could help on the outside, etc. That will set him up for whatever route he chooses be it staying in or getting out.

As for boot camp...it seems worse than it actually is. It's all mind games meant to mess with you. It will be over before he knows it. Keep your head down and push through.

Hope this helps,

The artist formerly known as EMN1(SW)

Tell him to quit being a nub and get qualified something already.

Just kidding, sorta.

The most important advice I could give your son is, no matter what his long term goals with regards to the Navy are, to work like he plans on retiring. He needs to spend his first couple years learning his job inside and out, volunteering for the jobs no one wants, and just supporting those he works with in whatever way possible. Then, he needs to work on himself for a couple years. Take some college classes, obtain certifications that could help on the outside, etc. That will set him up for whatever route he chooses be it staying in or getting out.

As for boot camp...it seems worse than it actually is. It's all mind games meant to mess with you. It will be over before he knows it. Keep your head down and push through.

Hope this helps,

The artist formerly known as EMN1(SW)
Exact advice I just gave him. Onour way home from Indinapolis. Sad day. But a very good day. Told him its ok to be nervous,. I was when I left for boot camp. But realize----so is everyone else(nervous). Keep your head down....listen. Do what is asked. And it'll e over before you know it. First couple of weeks will be looooooong. But after that, the time will just fly.

Man I miss him, already. No more 6am talks before work. Or lunches. Or dropping by needing gas money. The simpletext messsages of "love ya dad".

I was solid until he said----"Dad,just want you to know---You're not only a great dad. But a great person".

Awwww, damn. Just got me.

My boys are 6 and 2. Can't imagine how tough that would be. Best of luck.
Thanks. I mean it's not like I'm never goingto see him again. But still. It's my child. We talked everyday. Or at least a text. It's hard. But it's what yoou want as a parent----Your kid starting his/her life, and securing thier future. It's a great decision, and one I am glad he made.

Just thinking of this, Borden! Be proud, keep in touch with him, and know that he is having, in some ways, the time of his life.

ADVERTISEMENT