OT: Movies, TV, and video games

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
@WeAreDePaul what build did you make? If you made a big man, just do what thedude does. Find a great guard or two and ride their coattails

I didn't do the build a player things. Just playing with the real players.

Went back to the tutorial section last night and did another trip through every section to try and learn the controls. Might have to do that a few times. Some moves I can't figure out and will probably never use...like spin moves, step backs and stuff like that.

Players seem so sluggish in this game. Gonna take a while to get used to how slow and awkward they all are. Also it doesn't seem like the button presses register as fast as they should. At least compared to the soccer game I've been playing for the past 15 years.

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Oh dude, there are plenty of guards who don’t know how to move with the ball... don’t fear.

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
spent a lot of time with 2k over the weekend and starting to get a bit of a hang of things. Started up a Myteam and it's crazy how much content is there. So many challenges and things to do. I like it. It's cool getting players and then building your roster. After a weekend of playing my starting lineup is Olajuwan-Kemp-Gordon Hayward-Kobe-Bobby Sura with JR Rider first off the bench.

I'm at the point where I can win most games on Rookie level, but that's about it. Can't figure out how to set and call plays for the life of me. I can do the PnR, but I think the play calling button is the same which is ****ed up. Sometimes I try and call for a PnR and instead I get the graphic for plays. Very weird.

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Just started watching The West Wing. Obviously supposed to be great, and being a politics guy everyone is shocked I never watched it. Enjoyable so far... Sorkin and Tarantino are the two best dialogue writers around... it’s a bit optimistic, but...

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
So how random is this?! Totally crossposting this in the gun thread:)

Here is video of my college roommate, doing sound recording at his vacation house for the upcoming Halo game. Turns out he is the Principal Software Engineering Lead (I didn't know his exact title.)

tw3301

Mar 31, 2009
Team
Duke
Greyhound is nowhere to be found on Disney plus, feel betrayed right now.

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
MyTeam on 2K is really cool. So much content to get through. I think I'm gonna stick with NBA2K20 until the PS5 comes out next winter and then make the switch the 2k21. Gonna take me that long just to make a dent in MyTeam.

Reactions: JimboBBN

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
2Kers: 2 questions....

Do you use the shooting meter or turn it off?

Do you shoot with the stick or a button press?

I've been using the meter, but the more I play the less and less I look at it. Thinking of turning it off altogether. Wonder if it's more of a distraction than an aid.

For shooting, I switched to the button. The stick is too finicky for me. I'm used to using the button shooting from the soccer game I played for the past 15 years. But since I don't use the stick I haven't been able to do any floaters and my post moves are weak, but I'm trying to incorporate the stick into my game for those. I still use it for free throws though, those are a little weird.

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012

I've been using the meter, but the more I play the less and less I look at it. Thinking of turning it off altogether. Wonder if it's more of a distraction than an aid.

For shooting, I switched to the button. The stick is too finicky for me. I'm used to using the button shooting from the soccer game I played for the past 15 years. But since I don't use the stick I haven't been able to do any floaters and my post moves are weak, but I'm trying to incorporate the stick into my game for those. I still use it for free throws though, those are a little weird.
Only scrubs shoot with the meter on in MyCareer. It might be a little different in MyTeam because you have players with different jumpshots, but in MyCareer anyone good turns off the meter and learns when to release.

I have a 6'11 center with a 70 3pt rating. I green a lot with him still. Turning your meter off gives you a boost as long as you know your release.

I shoot with square, not the stick.

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012

Make a myplayer, lets run some games. Ideally a SG or SF perimeter lockdown with shooting/defense

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Only scrubs shoot with the meter on in MyCareer. It might be a little different in MyTeam because you have players with different jumpshots, but in MyCareer anyone good turns off the meter and learns when to release.

I have a 6'11 center with a 70 3pt rating. I green a lot with him still. Turning your meter off gives you a boost as long as you know your release.

I shoot with square, not the stick.

yea I've been using square as well.

But, can you still do runners without using the stick? I thought you have to pull down on the stick to do a runner.

I'm gonna turn off the meter. I rarely look at it anyway. Only time I use it is on free throws.

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
yea I've been using square as well.

But, can you still do runners without using the stick? I thought you have to pull down on the stick to do a runner.

I'm gonna turn off the meter. I rarely look at it anyway. Only time I use it is on free throws.
Yeah they should have an option to only use the meter for FTs.

Idk I’m a center ive never attempted a runner in my life.

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Okay, 2k folks, @hailtoyourvictor in particular... can’t believe i had this discussion today... but what would you say if someone played as a pure red lockdown, thirty d badges, and put intimidator on silver instead of HoF?

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
Okay, 2k folks, @hailtoyourvictor in particular... can’t believe i had this discussion today... but what would you say if someone played as a pure red lockdown, thirty d badges, and put intimidator on silver instead of HoF?
It’s the best defensive badge in the game and one of the best overall badges. It should be on HOF with 30 badges. No reason not to.

I’d be curious where those two extra badges he finds more important are being used.

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
It’s the best defensive badge in the game and one of the best overall badges. It should be on HOF with 30 badges. No reason not to.

I’d be curious where those two extra badges he finds more important are being used.
Yep. I figured EVERYONE knows this.

No idea what on earth he thinks is worth those two badges out of 30. It’s not like he only has a few and spread them out.

Btw, @JimboBBN is such a nice dude that his only reaction to this was “Well, I hate to say it, but I think I side with TheDude, that seems important, but I don’t play any defensive builds.” :)

Last edited:

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
Yep. I figured EVERYONE knows this.

No idea what on earth he thinks is worth those two badges out of 30. It’s not like he only has a few and spread them out.
Even when my and my PG run twos my PG runs intimidator for if we to switch in PnR

What position is he

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Finally watched Greyhound! Enjoyed it. It wasn't Ryan or BoB, but it was way better than, say, Pacific. Hanks is a national treasure. Thought it was a bit short... needed another 30 minutes. Loved seeing an aspect of WWII that we never see. Was a bit heavy/repetitive on the military jargon, but that's unavoidable given the subject matter, and the manner in which naval ships operate and information is shared. Amused at the very tiny attempt at introducing a love/emotional story. The whole "German U-boat talking to them" bit was a bit over the top, but I suppose sometimes you need to BS? Didn't know that the original story was done by Forester... that made me happy.

JimboBBN

Jan 26, 2016
The Bluegrass State
Team
Kentucky
Finally watched Greyhound! Enjoyed it. It wasn't Ryan or BoB, but it was way better than, say, Pacific. Hanks is a national treasure. Thought it was a bit short... needed another 30 minutes. Loved seeing an aspect of WWII that we never see. Was a bit heavy/repetitive on the military jargon, but that's unavoidable given the subject matter, and the manner in which naval ships operate and information is shared. Amused at the very tiny attempt at introducing a love/emotional story. The whole "German U-boat talking to them" bit was a bit over the top, but I suppose sometimes you need to BS? Didn't know that the original story was done by Forester... that made me happy.
I've heard a lot of negative reviews based solely on what I highlighted. Worth a watch, though?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
I've heard a lot of negative reviews based solely on what I highlighted. Worth a watch, though?
I thought so, sure. I mean, a war movie is always good, and I’ve never seen one that focused on the Atlantic like this.

But there’s a lot of...

“Target 3, bearing 144, 12 knots!”
“Conn, Weapons, target 3, bearing 144, 12 knots!”
“Weapons, Conn, heard target 3, bearing 144, 12 knots!”
“Bridge, Weapons, target 3, bearing 144, 12 knots!”
“Weapons, Bridge, heard target 3, bearing 144, 12 knots!”

That sort of thing:)

Reactions: I am stupid

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Well, the 2k21 demo is out, and... well, it sucks balls. It's just the 2k20 demo again. I get that they don't care about current gen, but if thats the case, give us MORE, not less.

And once again, making a good big man is SO much harder than making a guard. Made several guards and was struggling to find places to spend all the points... made a few bigs, and had to totally shortchange some of the primary big man categories... and that doesn't even take into account the fact that the big man gets a ton fewer badges unless you waste a bunch of those much-needed points on things that big men don't really need like three point shooting and ball handling and passing... but hey, post spin is a playmaking badge, so you've gotta get that up!

F'ing hate being a big man sometimes.

Terrible demo. Could have just played 2k20 and done the exact same thing.

Reactions: I am stupid

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Team
Kentucky
1 min 30 seconds into Hoops on Netflix and I'm pretty sure this is the best cartoon ever made.