OT: Movies, TV, and video games

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by TheDude1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey all,

I know there isn't an OT forum here, but it feels like a shame to not be able to discuss this sort of stuff, you know? So is it okay if we have a thread for this stuff?

Anyway... Three things, to start.

Saw the movie "Arrival" a few nights ago. What a fascinating movie. I always love when movies mess with your fundamental understanding of what you were watching. Definitely recommend, although as a warning, it isn't a traditional sci fi type of movie, and there is little to no action.

Speaking of messing with understanding of what you are watching... Just watched "The Hateful Eight"... I so thoroughly enjoy that damn movie. The actors, the script, the set and all... Love it.

Finally... In the video game realm... Anyone try out the new Ghost Recon? Enjoyed it, but a little worried it might get boring.

Anyway... Hope folks can chime in!:)

Oh, and if anyone plays MyPark on 2k17 on the One, hit me up!:)

Tortilla Launcher likes this.
  2. pig1960

pig1960 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Ditto on Arrival and Hateful 8. Actually thought "I'm gonna recommend Hateful 8" before I opened the thread. I'm a Tarantino fan in general and that movie was a blast. No gamer here...I usually just wander around in Fallout for a while getting haircuts and drinks of water from my butler robot.

KisteK likes this.
  3. UKBrassowTipIN

UKBrassowTipIN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Finished Resident Evil 7, if anyone is in to that type of game.

Saw the movie Get Out...was an original idea for a horror movie. Obviously was political too.

4. RockChalkRally

RockChalkRally Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Good post OP!

Watched "War on Everyone" with Michael Pena and "He Never Died" with Henry Rollins. Awesome flicks!

tw3301 likes this.
  5. UKcats1988

UKcats1988 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Watched Hell Or High Water, it's pretty good.

brownnick7 likes this.
  6. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Haven't watched a movie in a while. I have 'Interstellar' and 'The Witch' here from NF but haven't watched them yet. As for shows, I just finished the first season of 'Preacher' (awesome), and am now watching the first season of Westworld and Taboo. Both are really good so far, especially WW.

6 coryfly, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. j-doolsheels

j-doolsheels Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Movies: Gummo by harmony korine.

Rivers Edge: with Keanu Reeves, Crispen Glover, and Dennis Hopper. Dark movie, but excellent acting.

8. coryfly

Expand Collapse

'Gummo' is nuts, haha.

9. j-doolsheels

j-doolsheels Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's definitely an acquired taste. Korine has a movie called "trash humpers" which is an affront to American cinema lol.

"To Live and Die in LA"is an oldie but goody. At Close Range-- another good one

10. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Man, some suggestions here I've never heard of:)

@coryfly I enjoyed the HELL out of Westworld. Definitely a show that made you think, a lot. Loved Maeve... What a bad ass:)

@UKBrassowTipIN what is Get Out? Never heard of it.

@RockChalkRally Henry Rollins? F'ing love that guy:)

Okay, let me ask everyone.... Better movie: Saving Private Ryan, or The Shawshank Redemption?

Oh, and has everyone see True Romance? Written by Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott. Crazy cast... Christian Slater, Paticia Arquette, James Gandolfini, Gary Oldman, Sam Jackson, Brad Pitt, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, Mike Rapaport, Tom Sizemore... Crazy movie.

RockChalkRally likes this.
  11. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So I watched the Oscars and Moonlight won all kinds of awards. So, my girlfriend and I decided to watch it. I knew nothing about it.

Boy was that movie gay. Very very gay. I expected gangsters. I was not expecting gay gangsters. Away from gay gangsters it was alright, but Best Picture? No. Just no.

12. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

That movie was SUPER gay. That's what it was about:) But it gets a lot of kudos, because the African American community is, unfortunately, homophobic as hell, so tackling that was a big thing.

BTW, speaking of Oscars... Shakespear in Love over Saving Private Ryan? F you, Academy. F you.

Oh! You know what movie I f'ing LOVE? Master and Commander. F'ing AWESOME movie, but it seems very few people have seen it.

brooky03 likes this.
  13. CelticHawk

CelticHawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Dude, its March. Get this nerdy shit out of here.

KisteK, tw3301 and 829305 like this.
  14. Wojoman

Wojoman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Shawshank all day long!!

I know im waaaay behind but I just watched The Revenant the other day. Man, what an intense movie.

15. twocoach

twocoach Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Games: Tom Clancy Wildlands game comes out March 7th. Been looking forward to that for a year now.

Big ol arms and tw3301 like this.
  16. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Did you play the beta?

And yeah, @Wojoman , Revenant was pretty excellent. Loved that big long continuous "Goodfellas/Copa" scene at the start, the attack on the fur traders.

17. Wojoman

Wojoman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yea that was nuts

18. coryfly

Expand Collapse

Shawshank over Private Ryan. True Romance is an awesome movie.

Get Out is a horror movie (sort of maybe, I haven't seen it yet). It looks pretty great IMO.

19. RR30

RR30 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So Logan today in theaters. I thought it was excellent. It was a slow burn for a Wolverine movie and it made great use of it being Rated R. An excellent send off for Jackman as Wolverine.

KisteK likes this.
  20. 829305

829305 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ha. Shawshank and True Romance are my two favorite movies. Tough to pick one, but I'd probably lean w the latter, even though I feel bad saying it cause Shawshank can make a man cry. True Romance just makes me want to find a big suitcase of coke. And the ending is phenomenal, best ending ever.

KisteK likes this.
  21. catsfan3523

catsfan3523 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I played the beta for it last weekend. It seems like it's going to be a lot of fun.

22. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Shit. Between you and Fly, we are all getting just a bit too cozy less than 24 hours before tip off. Maybe we should put this movie bromance on hold until after the... event?

829305 likes this.
  23. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Really enjoyed it. I'm a little nervous that it COULD get a little repetitious and boring. Love a good co-op game, though... Nothing like setting up a good plan with buddies and giving the go order.

catsfan3523 likes this.
  24. Ampelmann

Ampelmann Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Just saw Logan with the wife. Probably the best superhero movie ever made. They all should be rated R anyway.

25. coryfly

Expand Collapse

Haha, I'm sure we would all have a ton in common in real life. Like I've said before, three of my greatest friends are Duke fans. If they were here posting and I didn't know them we would probably argue all the time. Heck, sometimes we argue while watching the game. Of course, we will be buying each other drinks while watching it and talking about when we are going to play golf again afterwards.

Speaking of movies along this same line that some may not have seen. Have either of you seen 'Sexy Beast' and/or 'Suicide Kings'. There are others like 'Snatch', 'Requiem', 'Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels', 'Usual Suspects', etc... but those are all pretty mainstream and ones I assume most have seen. I also was a huge fan of 'Lucky Number Slevin', which was way better than I thought it would be.

26. 829305

829305 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, to balance things out I taught my 4-year old to say "F Duke" last night in preparation for the big game. My wife wasn't happy. Heh.

RockChalkRally and keith37 like this.
  27. teenukfan15

teenukfan15 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm didn't upgrade to the new consoles until Christmas, so I'm just now getting to fallout 4. Love the fallout games, and I think 4 has been the best so far.

28. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Birdman winning an Oscar should've been the nail in the coffin for that show.

Arrival is high on my list though. Looking forward to that one.

29. KisteK

KisteK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

TrueStory, as I was reading your listing... my first thought was, this cat would like Luck Number Slevin.
    Ha, one sentence later... :)

================================================
    Op, I just saw The Big Lewbowski. Would recommend. ;)
    my list on Netflix is like 200 strong. we usually keep movies for a month-ish.
    I never watch movies anymore.

Watched It Follows last week. Interesting, I guess.

And we (my family) never watch the Oscar winners anymore. Not even worth it.

30. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Hey, anyone else playing Ghost Recon right now?

Not adoring it, myself... feels a bit... I don't know, the world feels a bit sterile. And there is just SO much on the map, and so much going on. I enjoy the multiplayer aspect, but so many people are in a rush to get into a gunfight. So far would give it maybe a 6.5/10. Anyone else playing?

31. Longstrangetrip

Longstrangetrip Moderator
    Expand Collapse

We had access to the beta on this one just before it dropped. Not impressed based on all the hype. BUT, it wasnt the whole game so the map we accessed was small. I found the shooting to be very odd going from third person to first person. And the over the shoulder view was strange as well.

I am playing the hell out of Rainbow 6 Siege. Very realistic FPS game. Try it if you have not done so. Unlike your standard FPS where you can generally hide and recover your health, you cant do that here. If you are shot, you are shot and getting closer to death. It makes for a very tough game.

32. teenukfan15

Expand Collapse

I couldn't get into Siege. I got it free with my xbox, but it just felt so repetitive. Every game was go into the house, find the one room you need, and kill all the people ultimately hiding in that room. I quickly missed other MP shooters where there are more variety in maps. I get that it's all about siege tactics so it kinda has to be the way it is, but I didn't enjoy that.

33. Longstrangetrip

Longstrangetrip Moderator
    Expand Collapse

For sure, its a big time rinse and repeater. Most games are at their core though, this one stands out more I think because its basically 5 scenarios repeated. I HATE the terrorist hunt ones, basically just team death match in a house, no thanks. But I do like the strategy and planning based on what the other 4 " operators " end up doing.

34. tw3301

tw3301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Played wildlands beta and it convinced me to buy it, been in that shit hole known as "pure Michigan" all week on business and plan on wasting a few hours of my life on it this weekend. Also have Mass Effect Andromeda pre-ordered.

Movies... hasn't been anything all that great come out in awhile. I thought the Founder was decent, Arrival I figured out in like 30 minutes and it was ok I guess. I love Terrantino and thought the Hateful 8 was another home run, no one writes dialogue the way he does anymore.

35. teenukfan15

Expand Collapse

I watched Girl on a Train over the weekend. I didn't hate it, but it didn't blow me away either. It's worth watching if you got nothing better to do. Picking up Dr. Strange soon. I've heard it's great.

36. coryfly

Expand Collapse

On the TV front, this 'Big Little Lies' show is pretty good so far. Reminds me a little of 'Broadchurch', which I loved.

37. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

F you.

Oh, and if you like Tarantino's dialogue, definitely check out "Crimson Tide." While I don't think he is credited, he did a lot of writing for that movie, and you can tell.

38. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Best part of multiplayer. I remember playing with some of my BF crew (I am in a large group of guys who play) and we had, at one point, eight people attacking an objective. I was busting up the road in a tank with my gunner, we had a jeep next to us with three infantry in it. First, a guy flying a jet flew over to mark things. Then an attack chopper roared overhead, firing missiles as it went, huge explosions in front of us. Then we rolled in, firing away, as the three infantry in the jeep bailed and began moving up on the flanks. We were all on comms, and it was just the most awesome coordinated moment.

BTW, random Xbox note; Marshall Plumlee was actually part of my BF crew for a bit. Haven't played together for a long time, but when I found out who it was (somewhat randomly) it totally blew my mind. He and Miles both play a lot of video games.

39. wesr

wesr Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you liked Fallfout 4 then check out Horizon Zero.

40. teenukfan15

Expand Collapse

I'll have to do that. I beat Fallout 4 last night, so I ordered Metal Gear Solid 5 this morning. Once I beat that I'll check that out.