ADVERTISEMENT

OT - MLB Season Thread

T-Mobile giving away mlb TV again if you have their service today. I don't use it often because of the archaic blackout rules but always nice to have in case.

Baseball season just ended. See you all back here in Phoenix next February.

I’ll be that guy. Baseball sucks.

I’m leaving now :)

Watching the Royals go to back to back World Series will always be hard to top. Playoff baseball is great.

That wildcard game in '14 had one of the most electric atmospheres I've ever witnessed in any sporting event.

Well, good news is KC's scored 8 runs in 4 innings. Bad news: their supposed ace gave up 6 runs in 1.1 innings.

Watching the Royals go to back to back World Series will always be hard to top. Playoff baseball is great.

That wildcard game in '14 had one of the most electric atmospheres I've ever witnessed in any sporting event.
I can have fun going to a couple of games in the summer. Taking on my own body weight in beer and hotdogs. Other than that, just not exciting for me.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I like baseball because you can multitask...

Other sports not as much.

Put on the game and do what you need. Especially on the radio.

I almost prefer radio. My brother and I always joked about Denny Matthews. He's one of the greats, but he's been bored for about 20 years. Half the time you can't tell if you tuned into the right station because you'll have 30 seconds of dead air.

Be prepared for a lot of that. Fvcking cheaters

Free base runners...

A's/Astros is about something else.

The Astros hitting coach told one of their players his mom was a whore in Spanish last year.
Funny thing is Ramon Laureano was with the Astros a few years back. He wasn't any good

Plus Mike Fiers is on their team.

They are bit upset because the Astros ran them out of the playoffs

I almost prefer radio. My brother and I always joked about Denny Matthews. He's one of the greats, but he's been bored for about 20 years. Half the time you can't tell if you tuned into the right station because you'll have 30 seconds of dead air.
If you're going to listen to radio, you only need to listen to one guy.

GDc5uoL.gif

There has been only one person in the entire world that I ever could listen to on radio for basketball. That was Chick Hearn.
Ended my USMC in Southern California then stayed out there working for a little. Could listen to the Lakers games when I was busy doing other things. After he passed away listening to or watching the Lakers was never the same..
The guy had so much talent. Was just unbelievable what he could do.

Baseball is different.
You can even listen to an average announcer do the games on radio.
But there are guys who are just special at their craft.

But the difference isn't huge like basketball. 90% of the people who I have heard do basketball on radio can't follow the action.
They don't even really know the game and aren't on top of it
Baseball is such a slow moving game it is easy to stay on top of the action.

To me the difference comes in what you do when there isn't any action..
Want to hear some stories.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
There has been only one person in the entire world that I ever could listen to on radio for basketball. That was Chick Hearn.
Ended my USMC in Southern California then stayed out there working for a little. Could listen to the Lakers games when I was busy doing other things. After he passed away listening to or watching the Lakers was never the same..
The guy had so much talent. Was just unbelievable what he could do.

Baseball is different.
You can even listen to an average announcer do the games on radio.
But there are guys who are just special at their craft.

But the difference isn't huge like basketball. 90% of the people who I have heard do basketball on radio can't follow the action.
They don't even really know the game and aren't on top of it
Baseball is such a slow moving game it is easy to stay on top of the action.

To me the difference comes in what you do when there isn't any action..
Want to hear some stories.
For baseball, and for me, man it was Scully. Iconic voice. Of course always enjoyed Marty(Brennaman). Longtime Reds fan.

Basketball--Local flavor was Cawood, and of course, FIsh at Indiana. Cawood was legendary, IMO. And one of the very few who could remain non- biased.

IMO, announcing baseball is harder. Less action, requiring more input. In basketball, you can get away from lack of knowledge, etc, etc...due to the pace of the action.

A few years ago the Pirates traded Glasnow and Meadows to TB for Chris Archer maybe the worst trade of this era

RollLaugh
Yikes that is bad. Os have been on both sides of lopsided trades. Scott Feldman for Pedro Strop and Jake Arrieta is a bad one. And Erik Bedard for Adam Jones, George Sherill and a trio of pitching prospects which including Chris Tillman.

A few years ago the Pirates traded Glasnow and Meadows to TB for Chris Archer maybe the worst trade of this era

RollLaugh

Got the GM fired...

I feel sorry for Pittsburgh..
Guy had to make a move. The fans were pissed about trading Cole and weren't showing up.
Being a few games out he wanted to look like they wanted to win..

Horrible trade. Was a trade based on getting people to show up.

Never trade with Tampa. They have done a lot of teams wrong.
This one was probably the best example

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT