ADVERTISEMENT

OT - MLB Season Thread

I don’t think Bell is a good manager (he’s mismanaged the bullpen quite a bit from what I’ve seen), but I don’t know you can fault him for this.

First off, it wasn’t a lead off double, runners start on second in the eleventh. They had scored 2 runs in the prior inning (without bunting anyone over) and Farmer, Shogo, and India are all capable hitters. India was 3-5 last night I believe. And managers at large don’t really bunt anymore. Maybe you’d be more comfortable with someone like Ned Yost as your manager, but there’s a reason he’s not in baseball anymore.
Forgot about the rule change---Nonetheless, its extra innings. YOu don't play extras, the way you play the 1st, 2nd or 3rd innings, etc, etc...Especially so when you know the home team is gonna start with a runner at 2nd as well. Mindset has to change from, "play for the big inning", opposed to simply getting a run. Its simple, situational baseball.

Jobe ain't chopped liver. Might be the best pitcher in draft.

Evidence:

High school P taken in the last 40 years - this is an ABYSMAL hit rate:

#1:

2014 Brady Aiken - unsigned
1991 Brien Taylor - 0 career IP

#2:

2017 Hunter Greene - TBA
2014 Tyler Kolek - 0 career IP
2010 Jameson Taillon - 536 career innings, 8.6 bWAR
1999 Josh Beckett - 3 time all-star, ALCS and WS MVP

#3:

2017 Mackenzie Gore - TBA
2016 Ian Anderson - 121 innings, 4.0 bWAR
2002 Chris Gruler - 0 career IP
1989 Roger Salkeld - 189 innings, 0.6 bWAR
1988 Steve Avery - 1x all-star, NLCS MVP
1987 Willie Banks - 610 innings, 0.8 bWAR
1982 Jimmy Jones - 755 innings, -2.9 bWAR

#4:

2016 Riley Pint - 0 career IP, retired
2013 Kohl Stewart - 75 innings, 0.3 bWAR
2011 Dylan Bundy - 747 innings, 8.6 bWAR
2002 Adam Loewen - 189 innings, -0.1 bWAR
2001 Gavin Floyd - 1250 innings, 16.4 bWAR
2000 Mike Stodolka - 0 career IP
1995 Kerry Wood - 2x all-star

#5:

2009 Matt Hobgood - 0 career IP
2004 Mark Rogers - 49 IP, 1.0 bWAR
2002 Clint Everts - 0 career IP
1996 Joey Patterson - unsigned
1991 Ken Henderson - unsigned
1990 Kurt Miller - 81 IP, -2.6 bWAR
1986 Kent Mercker - 1325 IP, 12.8 bWAR
1982 Dwight Gooden - Cy Young, 4x all-star, triple crown

Oops?

Anyways----Reds doing Reds things. They'll lose 7 in a row---then win 10 in a row....then lose 5/6---then win 7/8. Was gonna have to win the division it seemed anyways---getting butt raped by the Brewers didn't help.

Oops?

Anyways----Reds doing Reds things. They'll lose 7 in a row---then win 10 in a row....then lose 5/6---then win 7/8. Was gonna have to win the division it seemed anyways---getting butt raped by the Brewers didn't help.
Yup, oops. Winning three of four against my Brew Crew before was meaningless thanks to Cincy getting swept at home to start the second half.

Yup, oops. Winning three of four against my Brew Crew before was meaningless thanks to Cincy getting swept at home to start the second half.
Sure its meaningless now....But at the time, well, no. I mean if Milwaukee were to somehow **** up, and not win the division---then that 12 game winning streak they had would be meaningless...

At the time, huge series...Then as if figured, Cincy has shit the bed after the break. I cannot stand Bell. Terrible ****in' mamager. Reds have tons of talent....Yet here they are again---losing 4 in a row...But give it time---after their 8th straight loss---they'll win 7 in a row.

Reactions: WheelerG
Dodgers officially get Duffy from KC, decent lefty, adding Scherzer and Tre Turner from Nationals pending, this would pretty much make them the overwhelming favorite, though SD and others ain't chopped liver.

My friend, and local HS coaches son,got called up by the D-Backs today. Drew Ellis. So happy for those dudes. A true baseball family.

Reactions: WheelerG
Votto goes yard again....7 straight games with a homer. 9 of his last 10 hits have been dingers. Dude is raking ..

Votto goes yard again....7 straight games with a homer. 9 of his last 10 hits have been dingers. Dude is raking ..

Votto has been fun to watch. The bullpen and Tinker Bell the manager not so much.

Lorenzen has looked great though. Need to send Brach, Hembree, Garrett, and Doolittle away but probably don't have enough arms for that. So keep Hembree and Garrett for non pressure spots and use Lorenzen, Cessa, Wilson, Givens, and Antone and Sims when it matters. Honestly, I would prefer bringing Santillian up and having him do BP work over Hembree and Garrett. Doolittle has to be gone though. Bell should be fired just for having him warm up today.

Votto has been fun to watch. The bullpen and Tinker Bell the manager not so much.

Lorenzen has looked great though. Need to send Brach, Hembree, Garrett, and Doolittle away but probably don't have enough arms for that. So keep Hembree and Garrett for non pressure spots and use Lorenzen, Cessa, Wilson, Givens, and Antone and Sims when it matters. Honestly, I would prefer bringing Santillian up and having him do BP work over Hembree and Garrett. Doolittle has to be gone though. Bell should be fired just for having him warm up today.
When is Greene gonna get his chance? Am I missing something, here? Getting tired of 9th inning blown leads...Did it vs Mets, and yesterday vs Twins.

@IUfanBorden Balk or no balk? How do you call balks?

Yes, that is a balk. For me, I am looking for repetitive movement in correlation with a pitcher, movements, and his delivery, or start of it. In this instance, the pitcher starts to come up, which is a repetitive movement in starting your delivery...Runners see this. They know once you start to come up, you have to come set, OR attempt a throw(pick). If you do not, and simply step off, this is a balk.

This example of above is an easy balk. Boone's a fukin idiot.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yes, that is a balk. For me, I am looking for repetitive movement in correlation with a pitcher, movements, and his delivery, or start of it. In this instance, the pitcher starts to come up, which is a repetitive movement in starting your delivery...Runners see this. They know once you start to come up, you have to come set, OR attempt a throw(pick). If you do not, and simply step off, this is a balk.

This example of above is an easy balk. Boone's a fukin idiot.
Are balks subjective?

Balks are the one thing in basbeall i cant really call em when i see em, but i never pitched. Obvious ones are well obvious, but sometimes i dont understand.

Came here to tag you and post that lol. Your long national nightmare is finally over (well except for the whole Angelos still owning the team thing)
**** Angelos, but I'm hoping his kids who are apparently running the team now are just letting Elias and Co do their thing. Its going to be a couple years for this to bear fruit, but we had to tear it down to start fresh. Plus its the perfect time with the other 4 division opponents all being good.

It sucks that Davis got the yips hitting after signing his mega deal and the fans hate him right now, but he'll be in the Os HoF in the future.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Are balks subjective?
I think so...No different than calling a foul in basketball, or a hold in football. Some are obvious. Some are not...Some guys let it go---some don't. Me, depends on the level, TBH. Obviously a lot more picky if a college game....HS games, depends on the level of play...Sometimes you can be more effective, simply trying to teach. I'll tell catchers---"call time, go out there, andtell you to please pause...Or whatever it may be tht he is doing. Cannot get away with that in high-level HS games. And obviously not college games.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Johnny Hustle is a glorious beast
Hope injury isn't serious....Also, looks like Reds gonna choke yet another one away... They have blwon so many fukin games this year. Bases loaded in back to back innings...1 out or less both times, and only score one. Gray starting to struggle. Bases loaded, one out, one run in....4-2.

Hope injury isn't serious....Also, looks like Reds gonna choke yet another one away... They have blwon so many fukin games this year. Bases loaded in back to back innings...1 out or less both times, and only score one. Gray starting to struggle. Bases loaded, one out, one run in....4-2.
I didn't realize we had a baseball thread going over here. We have one on UK home board and then several scattered across the other UK free boards as well as these national boards. I don't pop over much during basketball offseason, I'll try to pop over here and contribute too as we head down the stretch.

India looked pretty damn OK on that last AB. One hell of a stroke!

Also this home plate ump has been absolutely ****ing atrocious, but to his credit his shit strike zone has been equal for Cincinnati and Philly.

Also this home plate ump has been absolutely ****ing atrocious, but to his credit his shit strike zone has been equal for Cincinnati and Philly.
He has been awful...Huge break n that 2-2 pitch to Barnhart.

Fukin Reds bullpen is so fukin shaky. JFC.

Shaky is being nice. Top of the 9th. 3 outs to glory. Let's go Rojos
This team with even a decent bullpen, is in all likelihood leading the Central. Unreal offense...very good starting pitching...Shit bullpen. In fairness, they have some dudes out. But still...

Reactions: CB3UK
ADVERTISEMENT