OT- Dereck rose probably out for season- torn meniscus

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by ManRoar, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Really sad. I don't think he will ever be the same. It will be "what could have been?"

He was special to watch sometimes and ridiculously explosive and a top 2-3 player in the NBA when healthy

2. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he was ever a top 3 player but that is far from my point.

This just sucks for him, city of Chicago, and nba fans

3. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

4. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Dude is filthy rich, he should just retire and still be able to walk when he is 50.

5. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Good point

just kinda reminds me of Bo Jackson. So talented but gonna be forced out by injuries

6. GoldenAlley

GoldenAlley Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Time for the Bulls to move on.

Thank you Derrick, you gave us some memorable moments.

7. KisteK

KisteK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You okay ManRoar?
    Dereck?
    Just messin man. Sucks for Rose, fun to watch when healthy.

8. Green Haiku

Green Haiku Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I assume the Bulls will get a 2nd opinion.

It's not like Rose was ever a gamer. He got his cash, and sat on it. He always will.

What a waste of talent.

9. Cornered Weasel

Cornered Weasel Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Guy can't catch a break!

10. UPnorth Illini

UPnorth Illini Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think you can pretty much stick a fork in him. I'm not really a fan of his in any way, but still hate to see this....He isn't the brightest bulb and says some dumb stuff but his brother is really the bad apple in the group, not him.

Bulls still owe him 41$ million the next 2 years...yikes

11. stakesarehigh

stakesarehigh Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Too bad the bulls used amnesty on boozer

12. Spacegrass

Spacegrass Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Except Bo Jacksons injury that derailed his career was a freak one time degenerative hip injury. The guy played in the NFL and MLB at an AS level. Derrick Rose is just made of glass and cant shoot.

13. Dukiepride77

Dukiepride77 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think Rose is done in Chicago. Locally, Rose was the dream draft pick for those in Illinois. Immense local talent coming home. It gave us all something to really hang our hat on. But the injuries have probably killed the Bulls opportunity to win a championship. With the comments made about protecting himself for after basketball while earning his salary, many have fallen off the Rose bandwagon. They need to rebuild around Noah and Butler and start from the ground up. I'd expect some changes in the off season. Feel bad for Derrick. It's not his fault. Reminds me so much of Grant Hill. Game into the league with guns blazing and will always carry the "what if" brand.

14. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I really don't think the Bulls were ever going to win a title with Rose as their best player. The year he won the MVP and the year they were the #1 seed was their best squad really, and they couldn't even get Lebron to a game 6. Thought this year they would be the 2nd best team to Cleveland, but really Rose was not very god all year and Mirotic and McDermott aren't contributing like some thought, on top of Butler not being the same guy. This stinks for the Bulls but they weren't going anywhere regardless...so there's that

15. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

Grant hill is a great example.

16. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good news if you have Jimmy Butler in fantasy [​IMG]. Sucks if you like Derrick Rose.

17. Chicubsfan24

Chicubsfan24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, let's just totally gloss over the fact that Jo and Taj have been banged up all year. You cannot seriously believe that 10-11 team, a team that started Keith Bogans, was better than this version. Jo's performance when healthy (essentially last year) is oceans above what he was in 10-11. Rose obviously took a step back. I don't even know what you mean with the Jimmy not being the same guy. Name me one player who has made a bigger leap in production than Jimmy Butler this year. His production is much better than what Lou was providing that year. Gasol has holes, but he is an obvious upgrade over Boozer. It's inane to think that this team had no chance to excel and reach the finals. This is a team that's riddled with injuries, which sucks, but to say this team was going nowhere is just dumb.

18. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

Jimmy butler could end up being the best 2 guard in the league. If the bulls could wash their hands of rose the situation wouldn't be so dire...with this nucleus and 20 million on free agents that would be a great squad. But rose has 2 years left.

19. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

And what makes you say that? Do you know him? Or are you talking about making an assumption off of some random interviews.

This post was edited on 2/25 9:57 AM by ManRoar

20. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

For such a seasoned poster, there is a lot of fail in this post.

21. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think he should hang it up, actually take his ACT test, and then come to UNC where I guarantee we can get him a degree.

22. Chicubsfan24

Chicubsfan24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It'll be interesting how they proceed in this situation. You mentioned the amnesty earlier, but that wasn't going to happen even if they still had it. I think the FO would almost be scared to do that in all honesty because of the perceived fall out. A lot of people have jumped off the DRose bandwagon, as was mentioned earlier, but the majority of the city is still in his corner. When you're leading the league in attendance (for the last several years really), I don't think you do anything to upset the fanbase like that. Plus, this ownership group is REALLY cheap. Like so cheap that they did not hesitate to trade Loul Deng, so they didn't have to pay the luxury tax. Of course, that was because they thought they would sign Carmelo and then have to pay the multiplier because they would be over two years in a row, but still. They would still have to pay Derrick for those two remaining years, and that wouldn't sit well with them.

I think they will make decisions acting like he won't play the rest of his contract though. I think the plan still remains to make a run at Anthony Davis in 2016. There is a pretty believable school of thought that you can't win an NBA finals with a point guard as your best player. Obviously, the role of the point guard has shifted, but people, who are of this belief, are quick to point out players like chris paul. Chicago is still a top basketball market, and it is also AD's home. Gasol has a player option for that year, but I would imagine he'll be pretty close to retiring at that point. Taj is gonna be trade bait too, unfortunately. He deserves starter minutes somewhere, so he is more valuable in a trade than he is to keep. It will just be interesting if one of the FO or Thibs can swallow their pride because both need each other, but their relationship is as bad as it has ever been. Really hoping they do not fire him. I could talk a lot more about their plan, but I don't want to write a book right now. Last night just sucked:

[​IMG]

23. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Nice

24. Spacegrass

Expand Collapse

Rose doesn't have anywhere close to the durability that Jackson had as an athlete. Comparing Bo's injury to Rose injuries is a failure of a comparison.

I was as big of a D Rose fan as anybody from HS until the last year or two. But I am finally admitting to myself that I was wrong. The way he plays his body can't hold up and on top of that he hasn't developed skills to help transition his game from the attack the rim style every time that we were accustomed to with Rose.

25. coryfly

Expand Collapse

I love Rose. He is one of my favorite non-UNC guys. He is obviously fragile. I think he is a little fragile mentally as well but that is also understandable in a way. I feel bad for him though.

26. Spacegrass

Expand Collapse

Why do you feel bad for him?

27. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

same story every year with you Bulls fans. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, injuries, blah blah blah

28. coryfly

Expand Collapse

Because it sucks to be in his shoes and have your body completely let you down. I mean, there are different levels of empathy. This isn't about millionaire Rose vs. the homeless child on the street. One can feel bad for the dude and understand it in the proper (understood) perspective.

29. Spacegrass

Expand Collapse

I hear ya but he has been blessed with more than about anyone could imagine by the time he is 25. Derrick Rose is gonna be ok without basketball. Unless he keeps letting his brother run his life.

30. coryfly

Expand Collapse

Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't feel for him. I mean, it doesn't tear at my heart strings or anything but that should be understood. If we only feel bad for the truly downtrodden then there probably isn't anyone in this country we could have any empathy for whatsoever. There are levels here. Expressing a quick message board 'that sucks' is different from volunteering at a battered women's shelter because of a true sense of hurting for a group of people.