ADVERTISEMENT

OT: atomic home front

tw3301

Mar 31, 2009
Team
Duke
Has anyone watched this documentary on HBO? Insane that this shit is going on in this day and age and all the media wants to talk about is Hollywood bullshit.

The U.S. has this stuff everywhere and our government does not have the balls to come up with a proper burial site.

We spent a fortune on Yucca Mountain but Obama stopped that cold so now we just wait for an accident to happen.
I was shocked, I mean I knew about the "love canal" but that was in the 70's... this documentary takes place from 2014-2016.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Thanks for the suggestion. Going to get some lunch, and plan on watching it when I get back.

I was shocked, I mean I knew about the "love canal" but that was in the 70's... this documentary takes place from 2014-2016.
There is a massive collection of nuclear material in Paducah, KY; enough to run breeder reactors for all America's electrical needs for 500 years. It is sitting there with the tank slowly rusting.

The environmental nuts stop the needed actions. So we let the crap rot until there is a big bad problem.

Reactions: mathman68
There is a massive collection of nuclear material in Paducah, KY; enough to run breeder reactors for all America's electrical needs for 500 years. It is sitting there with the tank slowly rusting.

The environmental nuts stop the needed actions. So we let the crap rot until there is a big bad problem.

I'm going to assume the environmental nuts advocate other sources of energy that do not create such horrible by-products?

Reactions: KisteK
I'm going to assume the environmental nuts advocate other sources of energy that do not create such horrible by-products?
That's good and all but you still have to properly dispose of the harmful waste/biproducts. have you watched the documentary i'm talking about? The EPA isn't portrayed in a very positive light.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
That's good and all but you still have to properly dispose of the harmful waste/biproducts. have you watched the documentary i'm talking about? The EPA isn't portrayed in a very positive light.

Oh, absolutely! Agree completely; just poking the bear a bit, with his "environmental nuts" silliness. I am fascinated by that kind of stuff... it's amazing how willing we humans are just to shrug our shoulders and say "Eh, whatever, someone else can deal with this later." I am, like, the complete opposite of that type, and it makes it all the less understandable.

Haven't seen it... not sure I want to:) I'm sure it's pretty damn bad:) I lived in a town in NJ with a pretty massive and well known Superfund site... it was stunning how many cancers and other sicknesses there were among the population who lived there. But not too many people with money and influence seemed to give a shit. If it doesn't impact THEM, most people cannot gather up the will to care. It's sad.

Reactions: tw3301
It's crazy how the EPA sends in people to say "There's nothing to see here", directly to the people dealing with sickness all around them.

Then they don't so up at all to meetings, even though it's required by law to attended Superfund meetings.

SMH.

Reactions: tw3301
Just watched. Definitely concerning.

The dinousaurs had a 180 million year run on earth. It took an asteroid and climate change to wipe them out.

Modern humans have been around about 200,000 years with most of that time foraging. Over about the past the 3,000 years, however, we have triggered one of the biggest mass extinction events in the earths history and have shown little ability to manage habitats over the long term.

It's really only a matter of time til it gets real.

Reactions: KisteK
Just watched. Definitely concerning.

The dinousaurs had a 180 million year run on earth. It took an asteroid and climate change to wipe them out.

Modern humans have been around about 200,000 years with most of that time foraging. Over about the past the 3,000 years, however, we have triggered one of the biggest mass extinction events in the earths history and have shown little ability to manage habitats over the long term.

It's really only a matter of time til it gets real.

I was talking to a friend and we were trying to come up with what would wipe humanity out.

Rapture, Asteroid, Manmade (global warming, nuke winter etc), Virus immune to medicine, AI?

My money is on AI.

I was talking to a friend and we were trying to come up with what would wipe humanity out.

Rapture, Asteroid, Manmade (global warming, nuke winter etc), Virus immune to medicine, AI?

I actually don't think AI is something to fear. Neil Degrasse Tyson made a good point about that, and that is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to create sentient AI capable of doing many things as opposed to specialized AI meant to fill a void and serve a purpose.

Who knows when the last human will die... it'd take a lot...odds are that some humans would survive a lot of those things... The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs left behind survivors -- albeit none of them dinosaurs. But they were also gigantic and suspected to already be heading towards extinction when the asteroid hit. 99% of species to live on earth have gone extinct. If there is any hope for humans is that they are more intelligent than 99.99% of them.

It'd almost be worst to be one of the survivors. Life is probably going to suck, a whole whole lot, for some time...Being alive in the transition from the modern world -- to whatever the f*ck it'd lead to would be awful.

I actually don't think AI is something to fear. Neil Degrasse Tyson made a good point about that, and that is that it doesn't make a lot of sense to create sentient AI capable of doing many things as opposed to specialized AI meant to fill a void and serve a purpose.

Who knows when the last human will die... it'd take a lot...odds are that some humans would survive a lot of those things... The asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs left behind survivors -- albeit none of them dinosaurs. But they were also gigantic and suspected to already be heading towards extinction when the asteroid hit. 99% of species to live on earth have gone extinct. If there is any hope for humans is that they are more intelligent than 99.99% of them.

It'd almost be worst to be one of the survivors. Life is probably going to suck, a whole whole lot, for some time...Being alive in the transition from the modern world -- to whatever the f*ck it'd lead to would be awful.
Mr Tyson's point was that it doesn't make sense. Remind me when that's made a difference.

Reactions: alum-75

What are the .01% of species more intelligent than humans?

Nuclear or environmental. I actually lean towards environemental... air quality plunging, massive droughts and flooding causing huge famine in some places... might not be a "we are all wiped out at once" but... and unfortunately I think it is inevitable, because we people tend to push things until we've pushed too far, and I think it may be a place where we push to a point and then do not have the technology to fix it.

Reactions: bkingUK
ADVERTISEMENT