ADVERTISEMENT

OT/ Anyone else in to Gardens?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
My Garden is into high yield. I'm canning (heirloom) Tomatoes, making pickles (half sours) and freezing corn. Anyone else?

My Garden is into high yield. I'm canning (heirloom) Tomatoes, making pickles (half sours) and freezing corn. Anyone else?
What heirloom do you plant? I love the Brandywine, very tall plant, not high yield but a pink large fruit wit a great old fashion taste. You ever try it you will like it.

Reactions: della
We're growing (prob too many) cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and watermelons..

I don't eat any of it, except watermelon; but my favorite parts of summer are early mornings and sunsets, and I spend most of those hours in our backyard & garden.

We also grow native wildflowers, zinnias, sunflowers, cosmos, Black eyed Susans, irises, moss rose .. I've got two watering stations in my backyard for bees..

I'm basically in it for the bees.

What heirloom do you plant? I love the Brandywine, very tall plant, not high yield but a pink large fruit wit a great old fashion taste. You ever try it you will like it.
I like Brandywine and Rutgers. However, this year I planted Mortgage Lifters and Cherokee Purples. I can them in Mason jars. They make wonderful sauces.

Reactions: cdbearde
We're growing (prob too many) cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and watermelons..

I don't eat any of it, except watermelon; but my favorite parts of summer are early mornings and sunsets, and I spend most of those hours in our backyard & garden.

We also grow native wildflowers, zinnias, sunflowers, cosmos, Black eyed Susans, irises, moss rose .. I've got two watering stations in my backyard for bees..

I sometimes get carried away with the garden size too. The bigger the garden, the more the weeding. I kept it reasonable this year.

Reactions: KisteK and cdbearde
I like Brandywine and Rutgers. However, this year I planted Mortgage Lifters and Cherokee Purples. I can them in Mason jars. They make wonderful sauces.
I tried the Mortgage Lifters just because of the "story" behind them, who knows if it is true. If my old memory don't fail me, they are also a pink fruit with a good old fashion taste. I just can't get away from Brandywines, I guess I have found a second love. 🙃

I sometimes get carried away with the garden size too. The bigger the garden, the more the weeding. I kept it reasonable this year.
We have a small garden now, but 25 years ago we had a 1/4 acre garden. That was a job that we decided that we would not do again. It was beautiful, but the work and trying to give the product away was not worth it.
I have a couple of tractors now with a 7 foot tiller that would have been nice back then.🙄

I love bees, we have to have them little workers and we are losing them.

• Love
Reactions: della and KisteK
Your a bit ahead of me. No red tomatoes yet, just squash, cucumbers, and peppers.

nothing beats a tomato from a garden. Wouldnt even kbow it was the same plant as the bs tomatoes u get from the store.

Your a bit ahead of me. No red tomatoes yet, just squash, cucumbers, and peppers.

nothing beats a tomato from a garden. Wouldnt even kbow it was the same plant as the bs tomatoes u get from the store.
I totally agree. Store tomatoes are not worth eating. I'm also doing Sugar Rush Peach peppers. They are hot, but sweet. You have to grow them from seed. I have not seen them for sale as plants.

We have a small garden now, but 25 years ago we had a 1/4 acre garden. That was a job that we decided that we would not do again. It was beautiful, but the work and trying to give the product away was not worth it.
I have a couple of tractors now with a 7 foot tiller that would have been nice back then.🙄
I have a 5 ft tiller for my little tractor. It makes that part of it easy. I swore I'd never grow a garden when I was a kid and now look at me.

I have a 5 ft tiller for my little tractor. It makes that part of it easy. I swore I'd never grow a garden when I was a kid and now look at me.
That is the size of my first tiller for a tractor, it was a five foot behind a small 25 horse tractor, then I sold both and went a little bigger 55 horse, (also have a 67 horse tractor) and 7 foot for food plots on the hunting property. Smaller was so much more enjoyable. My tractors are older, but good one owners.

Anybody that wants to share some good ol garden tomatoes or cucumbers please send them my way!!!

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
That is the size of my first tiller for a tractor, it was a five foot behind a small 25 horse tractor, then I sold both and went a little bigger 55 horse, (also have a 67 horse tractor) and 7 foot for food plots on the hunting property. Smaller was so much more enjoyable. My tractors are older, but good one owners.
Tractors are handy, but you haven't lived till you have mowed over a nest of yellow jackets and they swarm out of the ground mad as hell and itching for a fight. If you have never done that, the closest thing to it is being a UT fan after UT beats UK at Rupp, scary, but exhilarating!😀

Anybody that wants to share some good ol garden tomatoes or cucumbers please send them my way!!!
Where do you live? Surely there is a famers market somewhere close to you?

Yes, my tomatoes, hot peppers are coming up great. Been eating a lot of sandwiches. Will be canning hot peppers.

Try growing tomatoes every year, but the never really develop all that well. I’ve tried all the tricks on YouTube, fertilizer, no fertilizer, watering in the AM a couple times a week during dry season, planting deeper, etc.

I’ve finally just resigned to the fact that the local farmers market has great prices on great vegetables and none of the hassle.

I am definitely into them but this year we had a bunch of foundation work and tree removal going on around the spring that meant huge machinery kept coming in and out of my yard. So I sort of dialed back and will just use it as a year for the soil to breathe a bit.

I do have a lemon tree in the ground that is having a record production, and my young peach tree produced its first harvest this June. The peach was delicious!

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Try growing tomatoes every year, but the never really develop all that well. I’ve tried all the tricks on YouTube, fertilizer, no fertilizer, watering in the AM a couple times a week during dry season, planting deeper, etc.

I’ve finally just resigned to the fact that the local farmers market has great prices on great vegetables and none of the hassle.
Well, since you are one of the few UK fans with any sense and I like you, I'm going to help you.

I'm making the assumption that your previous garden forays have been small and had the goal of just supplying you and your family with fresh delicious vegetables for the dinner table. I call that a city garden.

I recommend that you attempt again and this time you buy miracle grow soil designed for vegetable gardens. This will save you all the trouble of prepping next years garden's soil months before you actually plant it. Of course, you need full sun and be careful not to over water.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Well, since you are one of the few UK fans with any sense and I like you, I'm going to help you.

I'm making the assumption that your previous garden forays have been small and had the goal of just supplying you and your family with fresh delicious vegetables for the dinner table. I call that a city garden.

I recommend that you attempt again and this time you buy miracle grow soil designed for vegetable gardens. This will save you all the trouble of prepping next years garden's soil months before you actually plant it. Of course, you need full sun and be careful not to over water.
Ha ha, thank you! jumpingsmile

You’d be correct . . . I just try to grow 4-5 plants. I’ve added compost, organic tomato food. I live in the country (near forests, so pest can sometimes play a role too). I’ve had to net them to keep the raccoons out. I think for no more than I spend at the farmers market, I’ll just support those guys with the money I’m using on the attempt.

I’m growing Cherokee Purple, Japanese striped beefsteaks, San Marzano’s, and a couple of cherry/grape varieties.

Also growing Brussel sprouts, red and pink Swiss chard, and plenty of herbs.

I’ve expanded my garden this year for my chile’s. I have 20 cayennes, 3 lemon drops, 4 habanero, 2 regular ghost, and a golden ghost. I’m having a bumper crop of these this year so I’ll have plenty of my hot sauce in 9-12 months.

Ha ha, thank you! jumpingsmile

You’d be correct . . . I just try to grow 4-5 plants. I’ve added compost, organic tomato food. I live in the country (near forests, so pest can sometimes play a role too). I’ve had to net them to keep the raccoons out. I think for no more than I spend at the farmers market, I’ll just support those guys with the money I’m using on the attempt.
You can go too heavy on the fertilizer. Might wanna take a Ph test of the soil. I think you can use a swimming pool strip (not quite sure how might have to ask mr google) soil samples here run 50$ through our state ag office but im not too sure if thats limited to “farmers” or not.

You can go too heavy on the fertilizer. Might wanna take a Ph test of the soil. I think you can use a swimming pool strip (not quite sure how might have to ask mr google) soil samples here run 50$ through our state ag office but im not too sure if thats limited to “farmers” or not.
Wow, our samples were 7 each 2 years ago at the exchange office in Benton off HWY 641, it would be worth your drive if you have many.

Mine has been disappointing. Planted 16 pepper plants and so far 2 peppers. 16 tomatoes plants and only one growing anything. Squash, zucchini, watermelon and cantaloupe are all doing fine though.

No corn this year. Tired of the wind destroying it every year.

Mine has been disappointing. Planted 16 pepper plants and so far 2 peppers. 16 tomatoes plants and only one growing anything. Squash, zucchini, watermelon and cantaloupe are all doing fine though.

No corn this year. Tired of the wind destroying it every year.
Wind? Where do you live? I have had bad storms blow mine down, but I always go out and very gently stand them back up as I use my foot to adjust the bottom of the stalks, a lot of work, but it's my garden. I have had storms blow them over when about half mature and turn upward and continue growing and produce. You have to have healthy stalks, always till in ammonia nitrate between rows when they are about 18-24 inches tall. (ammonia nitrate is not as strong as it was before Timothy McVeigh's bullshit)

Wow, our samples were 7 each 2 years ago at the exchange office in Benton off HWY 641, it would be worth your drive if you have many.
I just quit doing them unless its required for some govt grant bc we can never afford to put the amount that the sample tests say it “needs” anyways.

And to be honest it might have been 50$ for all 7 of em, bc they want multiple per field, which adds up to what you said. I dont really remember bc i dont pay the bills, just do the work 😂 But i doubt the price rannges would vary that wide.

Went thru benton/marshall the other day taking my daughter to chuck e cheese in paducah. I like that drive better thru lbl and aurora and benton than I24 anyways snd it aint much longer.

we are pretty close in distance, if you have young relatives who you want to teach to fish i have some ponds pretty stacked with bass, and open fields if you need to teach anyone how to drive. But not too much else to offer. All my hinting spots are claimed up unf, i actually lost my personal spot this year bc a lady died and the person who inherited it didnt wanna lease it to us to cut hay so......is what it is.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT