OT:American Sniper

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by dmaso44, Jan 26, 2015.

1. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Went to see it this wweekend. Couldn't believe the line was a block long. Thankfully, we used Fandango but the ticket line was still literally out the door about half as long as ticket line. The theatre canceled a showing of Taken 3 and opened up another theatre. Last time, I can recall movie lines like that is Jurassic Park.

We really liked the movie. I thought Bradley Cooper was excellent.

2. Steelers2012

Steelers2012 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I saw the movie this weekend as well, and I fear my opinion will label me as unpatriotic or possibly satanic. [​IMG] But...given the build up of the movie, I was "slightly" disappointed in the film. It was a very well acted (Bradley Cooper should receive Oscar talk with this role) with very good action and cinematography. However...I would not rank it up there with other war movies such as Platoon or Saving Private Ryan for intensity or emotion. I really think the only reason I was "slightly" disappointed was the massive buildup of the movie. If my expectations had not been so high, I believe I would have been more impressed. Still, a very good film.

3. J-Rye_UL

J-Rye_UL Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bradley Cooper was phenomenal imo. Great movie, but I will never watch it again. There was a scene toward the middle of the movie that will haunt me more than any horror movie ever has. It was unnecessary and uncalled for. I don't care if it happened in real life, which I don't know if it did. That does not need to be in a major blockbuster movie.

4. AirZona

AirZona Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

What was the scene?

5. tw3301

tw3301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

*SPOILER ALERT*

Kid getting murdered in front of his family, electric drill to the head. That one was a very difficult scene to watch, still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

6. AirZona

AirZona Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ahhh ok! Thanks. I am not even interested in watching the movie.

7. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It sucks that it happened (if it really happened, I didn't read the book), but that is part of the point of this movie. It shows us the f'ed up things our soldiers witness overseas and how they have to make sense of it when they come back home.

8. Manx Cat

Manx Cat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I took my boy, he came away mad and ready to enlist. He is 14, we had a little talk. I thought it was a pretty good movie, well acted, good story and plot. I have a tendency to pick to death the inaccuracies in films made about the wars of this era. There were several very noticeable inaccuracies in this one, that takes away from it for me. I like watching the old war movies of WW2 and Korea, I don't see as many technical mistakes in those. I would give this movie a 4 out of 5 stars.

9. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doubt we go and see it. Been through it, and simply have no desire to revisit those memories.....like, ever.

10. csjones240

csjones240 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

For those who have been through it. It only opens old wounds and it sucks!!!!

11. Manx Cat

Expand Collapse

Borden and Jones.

I felt the same way, didn't have a desire to see it. My boy wanted to go and my wife was out of town, so I took him. I will say that the film had a very good message about PTSD, it reflected very well the the denial of the obvious symptoms of PTSD. The actual battle footage is close just not enough smoke, dust, cursing, and the belting out of orders. I don't think Hollywood will ever be able to capture what really happens in a tic/firefight, unless they are filming while a tic is in progress.

12. Cornered Weasel

Cornered Weasel Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

For those of us that haven't been in that military setting, I feel all Americans need to see it.

Maybe then our rights & freedoms won't be taken for granted as so many do.

13. csjones240

Expand Collapse

We all handle it differently. The screaming and battlefield smells haunt me. Hollywood will never be a to duplicate those things! Thank god!

14. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Manx:

"Battle footage close, but not enough dust, cursing, barking of orders.....

No movie has met this except "We Were Soilders". And let's not forget the blood, screams, tears...and in some cases, the god damned awful smell of burning flesh.....and the erie calmness and fright that death carries.

Wife wants to see it. Told her to take my son, because he to wants to see. Just not for me. And its been a loooong time since I've seen combat.

15. csjones240

Expand Collapse

I would agree! We were soldiers was very close. You never forget the smells!

16. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

17. matty1212

matty1212 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Best movie I've seen since no country for old men
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

18. Manx Cat

Expand Collapse

Borden,

The one thing they will never capture is the whole run of emotions changing by the second and knowing the feeling of 100% situational awareness.

Back to the PTSD, if anyone is in denial, please google the symptoms. If you find you have a few symtoms, please seek help. Seen too many fall by the wayside and worse by not seeking help.

19. BigBlueCatNation

BigBlueCatNation Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That stuff happens in war, that's why you should always thank a soldier for all he has done to protect us from that happening here.

We we owe those men and women everything.

20. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

Originally posted by ManRoar:

21. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Did anyone else notice that while Chris was in the bar with the basketball game on you could hear the play by play guy in the background say "Kentucky by 5"

22. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

23. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

For a week or two. Then, back to facebook and reality tv.

24. TheTruCatsFan

TheTruCatsFan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We went last Thursday and it was packed then as well. I really liked the movie. I lived through it twice and totally understand what some here are saying about not wanting to dredge up old memories. The movie is a great story and needs to be told.

Steelers and Manroar need to take their pansy a$$ pissing match to another thread. This isn't the time or place gentlemen.

25. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

You need to keep any pansy a$$ comments or responses you have towards me to yourself. You know why, and that's your doing, not mine.

26. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

With in context, Chris Kyle made heroic actions. Shooting a kid to save your guys is commendable..in context. Killing one to save many is commendable..in context.

But if you step away and ask the question, are we really safer today because of a war on the other side of the planet, and answer completely honestly? Eh, it's not so cut and dry. I think if it were that cut and dry, a lot of these guys who return with issues,wouldn't have them as bad as they do.

27. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Bking:

Rather or not if the country is safer, has no bearing on the "issues" I had.

It was being in a damn area where your life was on the line from the moment you woke up; and when sleeping. Imagine that.

And the haunting images. The loss of life. The smells. The noise. The confusion. The screams. Matter of fact, the whole god damn scenario.

I assure you, even if we did come home to a safer home, those memories would still be horrible.

I absolutely hate that place.

28. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Typical Friday night in Chicago.

29. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Pretty funny Sound. Made me chuckle.

Thanks.

30. Orphan97

Orphan97 Member
    Expand Collapse

I will wait until it comes out on DVD, this type of movie I want to view in the privacy of my home. I have never been in combat, I do not understand it, and I hope I never do. With that said, I have more respect then I can express for those of you who have. May you all find the peace and comfort you have brought the rest of us.

31. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

We have our differences but I absolutley agree with this statement

32. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Bradley Cooper was absolutely fantastic. It was a phenomenal movie. Didn't glorify it nor did it condem it. Clint nailed it.

I can't say enough how great Bradley cooper was.

33. Velo1

Velo1 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought it was pretty good, and agree with a few others that you can't get the smell of war out of your memory. That never goes away. BTW, I thought Cooper was excellent.

34. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'll probably eventually see it when it's on Netflix. I rarely get to the theater and it wouldn't be my first choice.

I like the discussion going on around it, though. It's important to honor and respect those who serve w/o glorifying war, and that's a tricky balance to strike and then to maintain. It's also important that we not sugar-coat war, but I think that's less and less of an issue, and from both sides of the political fence: liberals and conservatives both want to show how gruesome it is.