ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NFL season general discussion thread

GhostOf301

Gold Member
Mar 24, 2020
OTAs are underway and most teams have their first padded practices this week. How is everyone feeling about their teams this year?

17 game season, super bowl a week later.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Ghost I have our Panthers going 9 - 8 with Darnold at the reigns. I think our defense will be much improved from last season. Bold prediction, we have a top 10 defense by mid season. I also think Darnold will play well enough to keep the job for another year. So much of that, though will be on our offensive line. Which is pedestrian, at best.

cogxrakqpzyeok4rcsh8.jpg

W
W
W
L
W
W
L
W
W
L
W
L
W
L
L
L
L

As much as it would suck to end the season with four loses, our home stretch is brutal. Hell, if we finish 1 - 3 in those games, there's a decent chance we make the playoffs.

Early playoff/Super Bowl picks

AFC:
Chiefs over Chargers

NFC:
Bucs over Packers (again)

SB Rematch:
Bucs over Chiefs
I would put the rams ahead of the Packers. And maybe even the Redskins and the 49ers.

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
KC's O-line transformation will be dramatic. They've upgraded from the worst run-blocking unit in the league to one that can blow holes wide open. And pass-blocking will likely be better than even when the line was fully healthy last year.

The defense has plenty of potential but some question marks. They probably won't need it to be above average.

Training camp starts with our top 3 qb's under Covid protocol because they are dumbasses. Kirk Cousins and Kellan Mond are safe, but Nate Stanley is going to get his ass cut as soon as he's off the protocol. If you are a fringe NFL roster candidate, why would put you're career in jeopardy by not getting vaccinated?

Reactions: KisteK and dtgold88
First padded practice today and Trey Lance got some first team reps. Doesn't sound like there's not s QB competition with the 49ers. Apparently he has looked really good so far since they started team activities. So has Garoppolo so they say. Will be interesting to see how long G can hold on to his job. Will make the preseason more interesting than most.

The Niners signed Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. I assume that means that Jaquiski Tartt won't be cleared from the PUP list in time for the opener. Which sucks. But Clinton-Dix should provide some solid veteran leadership to the backfield.

The Niners signed Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. I assume that means that Jaquiski Tartt won't be cleared from the PUP list in time for the opener. Which sucks. But Clinton-Dix should provide some solid veteran leadership to the backfield.
I was super excited when we (gb) drafted haha but he just never really lived up to his draft slot hype tbh. He was solid i guess but our whole D was pretty awful when he was here, sans 1 or 2 seasons. Which we havent had a GREAT d in my lifetime sans maybe reggie white and co back in the day. Imo anyways

i hope it works out for haha, despite not being much of a niners fan, i love long safeties who can cover alot of range and arent scared to hit.

Decided to throw some money on him to win RoTY. Sorry in advance when he tears his acl week 2 after a dominant week 1 performance.
Not sure he will get that kind of playing time unless Garoppolo gets hurt again. We'll see. He had an 80 yard TD throw in the game the other day, but other than that he didn't look great.

Not sure he will get that kind of playing time unless Garoppolo gets hurt again. We'll see. He had an 80 yard TD throw in the game the other day, but other than that he didn't look great.
He's better then pretty boy Jimmy, just rip that band aid off now. Plus you have 2 easy games to start the season to build his confidence.

Reactions: GhostOf301
He's better then pretty boy Jimmy, just rip that band aid off now. Plus you have 2 easy games to start the season to build his confidence.
Can't say I fully disagree, but a lot would have to happen for Lance to start the season at QB. I am pretty excited to see how he works out. Kid can definitely throw the ball. They haven't been letting him lose running yet. With the blocking schemes Shanahan uses, he could be nasty.

Reactions: bMORE607
He was mostly an emergency depth guy. Think he played a couple games when we had our Covid issues and when our secondary got hit with a bunch of injuries.
I think I was confusing him with another CB. Doesn't look like he will improve the backfield any. IMO, when healthy all around, CB is the defense's biggest weakness. Unless a couple of rookies work out, they did nothing to improve the position.

I think I was confusing him with another CB. Doesn't look like he will improve the backfield any. IMO, when healthy all around, CB is the defense's biggest weakness. Unless a couple of rookies work out, they did nothing to improve the position.
Yea our secondary is stacked if we can keep everybody healthy. There was no way he was going to make the team.

Already been a fight in the Ravens-Panthers joint practice. Apparently between Ravens O and Panthers D, and Marcus Peters ran from the other field to get involved.

We got in a bunch of fights when we practiced with the Colts, too.
It’s not surprising that Peters ran over from the other field. He’s always seems to be looking for a fight especially when it involves defending teammates. He quickly became a fan favorite for that reason.

Reactions: JimboBBN
It’s not surprising that Peters ran over from the other field. He’s always seems to be looking for a fight especially when it involves defending teammates. He quickly became a fan favorite for that reason.
Yea, he's always been a fiery competitor. Camp fights are expected. Hell, I would honestly be more worried if we weren't playing with fire at this point

It's good that teams are starting to practice against each other. OTAs are hard on teammates. They need to take out some of their aggressions on other guys.

Holy over-reaction to one preseason game where the starters didn't play.
So injuries are a thing.......

The Vikings also have among the worst depth in the league.

Oh and our OL is going to be worse than last year, for most of the season (or at least so that it will be too late to get back in any meaningful race).

That's all, really.........

no-big-deal-jim-carrey.gif

Holy over-reaction to one preseason game where the starters didn't play.
Plus they were playing Denver who has a qb battle going, so they played against lock and then teddy got to come in against the backups.

I won some coin on that one. Prob take denver again this week if i can confirm lock is gonna come in second half like teddy did last week.

Thats not a normal week one preseason game, i mean cousins jefferson cook didnt play plus more im not as familiar with.

And this is coming from a packers fan.

I mean i dont know how good the vikings will be, but i wouldnt fret getting blown out by denver when they were playing nfl starting caliber qbs all game.

Hell they are easier than regular nfl in my opinion. See who plays and who sits, what the gameplan is for each team. I mean like i said lock/teddy vs viking backup/3rd stringer and no cook or jefferson either i don’t remember about thielen but doubt he played much. Hell the backup rb mattison only got 1-2 careies

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT