ADVERTISEMENT

OK State 2021 Postseason Ban

Chris Hassel. He is basing that off of what Okie St got
A journalist has no idea what the NCAA is going to do. Just because 1 level 1 infraction means 1 year post-season ban doesn't mean 5 level 1 infractions will mean a 5 year post-season ban.

A journalist has no idea what the NCAA is going to do. Just because 1 level 1 infraction means 1 year post-season ban doesn't mean 5 level 1 infractions will mean a 5 year post-season ban.

It depends what Tier of Level 1 each of the Sanctions are. Our had specific minimum and maximum penalties at each Tier. Ours was Level 1, Tier 2 (out of 3 Tiers) so the max was 2 years per sanction and minimum was 1 year of postseason ban. If all of their Level 1s are Tier 2 or higher, they HAVE to give them a year a piece unless there is a written in overall maximum too. I'm hoping that on the appeal, they drop our Level 1 Tier 2 to a Level 1 Tier 3, which has no minimum and a 1 year max, or even Level 2 so that they drop the Postseason ban and maybe just keep the scholarship reductions and fines.

Kansas and some of the other schools are also going to have a completely different review board than we did from what I heard. The other board was put together specifically to deal with the schools who had significant allegations against them from what I've read. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Last edited:
It depends what Tier of Level 1 each of the Sanctions are. Our had specific minimum and maximum penalties at each Tier. Ours was Level 1, Tier 2 (out of 3 Tiers) so the max was 2 years per sanction and minimum was 1 year of postseason ban. If all of their Level 1s are Tier 2 or higher, they HAVE to give them a year a piece unless there is a written in overall maximum too. I'm hoping that on the appeal, they drop our Level 1 Tier 2 to a Level 1 Tier 3, which has no minimum and a 1 year max, or even Level 2 so that they drop the Postseason ban and maybe just keep the scholarship reductions and fines.

Kansas and some of the other schools are also going to have a completely different review board than we did from what I heard. The other board was put together specifically to deal with the schools who had significant allegations against them from what I've read. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.
Oh daaaaaaaaaaang, I didn't know about the specific tiers and penalties within each level of sanction. :eek:

Hang'em High!!!

5 years!!! 5 Years!!! 5 Years!!!
I legit have never heard that there are specific tiers and penalties for infractions. "Aggravation, standard, and mitigation are the three tiers of Level I violation. Aggravation has a two to four-year postseason ban, standard has a one- to two-year ban and mitigation is zero to a one-year ban." So, I say give Kansas a 20-year postseason ban. Laughing

I legit have never heard that there are specific tiers and penalties for infractions. "Aggravation, standard, and mitigation are the three tiers of Level I violation. Aggravation has a two to four-year postseason ban, standard has a one- to two-year ban and mitigation is zero to a one-year ban." So, I say give Kansas a 20-year postseason ban. Laughing

I think that I heard the change was pretty recently. Like maybe when this stuff first started coming out a couple of years ago?

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
That would mean the NCAA will have to be somewhat consistent in penalties that it imposes. That goes against everything they have ever stood for. Laughing

Yeah, it’s supposed to help with the consistency. Seems like they have certain verbiage/things they look for in their investigation or in our case, the FBI’s investigation report. The main issue is that they seem to be mindlessly following it and why we got slapped for something we shouldn’t have. What I mean is that in that in the report they kept droning on with the word “bribes” like it was their golden ticket. Turns out when a coach bribes a player, it automatically becomes a Level 1, Tier 2 violation. Makes sense on the surface as 99% of the time a bribe between a coach and a recruit/player is the influence them to pick the school or even stay instead of go to the NBA. Unfortunately instead of digging a bit and seeing that the bribe wasn’t for a recruiting/competitive gain and instead for personal, monetary gain and actually hurt the university’s chance to retain said player. They just turned their brains off and tried to use certain words to manipulate the report (that they didn’t do) to fit their narrative. Systems are a great outline, but mindlessly following it can have bad side consequences too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Yeah, it’s supposed to help with the consistency. Seems like they have certain verbiage/things they look for in their investigation or in our case, the FBI’s investigation report. The main issue is that they seem to be mindlessly following it and why we got slapped for something we shouldn’t have. What I mean is that in that in the report they kept droning on with the word “bribes” like it was their golden ticket. Turns out when a coach bribes a player, it automatically becomes a Level 1, Tier 2 violation. Makes sense on the surface as 99% of the time a bribe between a coach and a recruit/player is the influence them to pick the school or even stay instead of go to the NBA. Unfortunately instead of digging a bit and seeing that the bribe wasn’t for a recruiting/competitive gain and instead for personal, monetary gain and actually hurt the university’s chance to retain said player. They just turned their brains off and tried to use certain words to manipulate the report (that they didn’t do) to fit their narrative. Systems are a great outline, but mindlessly following it can have bad side consequences too.
Yeah, I think OSU got screwed. They didn't have anything to gain by the wrongdoings of the former assistant. It was for his benefit only.

Shocking. Laughing
Larry Parkinson, the COI chief hearing officer and the director of enforcement for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, said Oklahoma State's penalties shouldn't serve as a barometer for potential penalties for other schools involved in similar infractions cases.

"Each case is unique," Parkinson said. "I would caution against reading too much from one decision. The panel bases its conclusions on the record before it, and as other cases come before either this panel or other panels, we'll decide those cases based on the facts and circumstances of those individual cases. Having had only one and this being the first, I think time will tell whether other cases are similar or dissimilar."

Will be interesting to see if KU gets a ban for every level 1 violation. If that happens you can probably remove KU from being competitive for the next 10-20 years.

People said the same thing about alabama and penn st. football and now they're win titles and going to rose bowls and shit.

Worst case scenario I could see something like a 3-4 year post season ban, 3-4 years of major recruiting restrictions, and a loss of 6-7 scholarships over 3 or 4 years. Followed by a few years of probation and limited recruiting but you get your scholarships back. Total down time won't be as long as you think. Kansas is stil Kansas and the second you get your scholarships back you'll sign a top class. It will be a shitty 6-7 years but not 10-20.

I could also see Kansas/Adidas bending the ncaa over a barrel in court. Which i think is more likely than the worst case scenario. Either way it will be must see news.

Okie State should be fairly solid this year with Cunningham and Likekele in the mix. Hate that we won't see Cunningham in the postseason, however.

Okie State should be fairly solid this year with Cunningham and Likekele in the mix. Hate that we won't see Cunningham in the postseason, however.

I think you’ll see more players stick it out if teams get 1 year post-season band. The last 5-10 years has shown that tournament play doesn’t really matter anymore when it comes to impacting draft stock. Now teams who aren’t allowed on national TV may have a bigger impact.

I think you’ll see more players stick it out if teams get 1 year post-season band. The last 5-10 years has shown that tournament play doesn’t really matter anymore when it comes to impacting draft stock. Now teams who aren’t allowed on national TV may have a bigger impact.

True. We also have some nice matchups in the non-conf tournaments and SEC/Big XII thing. Plus I bet we get picked up for more Big Monday games during conference season in one of if not the best conference. Besides the normal big Big XII games for us (Bedlam and Kansas), Tech and Texas have some intriguing young guys that people will probably want to see square off. I'm probably more surprised by Ferron Flavors, the grad transfer that we signed earlier, deciding to come anyways than Cade. Maybe it's allure of playing with him or something?

ADVERTISEMENT