ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating 101: What you need to know; Or want to know.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Ok, here it is---The 1st annual installment of, "Ask the Ref".

I thought we could have a little preseason edumacation on the fundamentals of officiating. Responsibilities...POE...Coverage areas. Pregame procedures. Now I know its impossible for this to remain civil, but lets at least try. Also, feel free to give some insight. What you feel needs fixed. What rule changes you think would help. Rules than need to go.

Feel free to ask whatever. Hopefully this can be fun.

I'll start by saying this---I love the game. Nothing more thrilling then to step on the floor in front of thousands. And even more so, working a high school game in Indiana. The pep band is roaring. Fans are rocking. Gym is hot---and loud. Man-----nothing better. And know this--- I do not feel I am perfect. Nor do I feel officials in general are. I know it seems I defend us, and TBH, to an extent I do. But mostly I am just trying to give an explanation of why something was or was not called. Sometimes I am right...Sometimes, well---I'm right.:D

Anyways....Step on up. Lets get this started.

Ok, here it is---The 1st annual installment of, "Ask the Ref".

I thought we could have a little preseason edumacation on the fundamentals of officiating. Responsibilities...POE...Coverage areas. Pregame procedures. Now I know its impossible for this to remain civil, but lets at least try. Also, feel free to give some insight. What you feel needs fixed. What rule changes you think would help. Rules than need to go.

Feel free to ask whatever. Hopefully this can be fun.

I'll start by saying this---I love the game. Nothing more thrilling then to step on the floor in front of thousands. And even more so, working a high school game in Indiana. The pep band is roaring. Fans are rocking. Gym is hot---and loud. Man-----nothing better. And know this--- I do not feel I am perfect. Nor do I feel officials in general are. I know it seems I defend us, and TBH, to an extent I do. But mostly I am just trying to give an explanation of why something was or was not called. Sometimes I am right...Sometimes, well---I'm right.:D

Anyways....Step on up. Lets get this started.
Why aren't officials allowed to wear anything that would correct their vision? Also why are they required to fail an optometry exam?

I kid, I kid.

Do you believe charges are called consistently in college?
No. When you have roughly 1,500 differing interpretations, consistency will not happen. I've said it many of times, until the NCAA views officials as "professional's", you will continue to see inconsistency.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Why do ya'll hate Kentucky so much?
Because y'all whine to much.Laughing

john-calipari-provides-for-one-of-the-best-gifs-ever-against-ole-miss.gif

Do you ever look at the foul count and think...shit—-I better even this up.

When watching mlb pitchers...how in the holy shit do you analyze some of the pitchers motions in the stretch and determine whether or not to call a balk. Some of these guys make 5 moves to become set.

Do you ever look at the foul count and think...shit—-I better even this up.

When watching mlb pitchers...how in the holy shit do you analyze some of the pitchers motions in the stretch and determine whether or not to call a balk. Some of these guys make 5 moves to become set.
Nope. The only time I notice that is when a coach brings it up. Only time I look at the scoreboard is to get a glance at the clock(late game).

Balks at the MLB level are simply rare. I am with you on some of them. I'm like---"WTF"? As an umpire, I will do a few things:

1. During the plate meeting, I'll ask---"Anything goofy about your pitchers delivery"?

2. I'll watch the pitcher during warm-ups. Gives me an idea.

3. I'll ask the catcher---"Hey, he do anything crazy out there that we need to be aware of"?

If in the filed, I'll ask the 1st or 3rd baseman the same. I'll watch his warm-ups.

WHile pitching, If they do something out of the norm, I'll watch to see if they continue to do so. If they don't, a balk could be called. SOmetimes I'l call time, walk to the moiubd as if I am checking the ball, or cleaning off the rubber and ask---"WTF was that"? Or, "hey, if you are going to do that, ok--fine. Its good. But lets make sure we do it every single time.

Is this a shot clock violation?

We've went over this. Also, you do realize the shot clock has tenths of a second, as well. For all we know the shot clock could be at .9 tenths...or 1 tenth. WHo knows. I'd say , via this pic, good chance the shot clock isn't at "0". Notice that there are NO LED lights on. Aside from the actual clock, officials are trained to go by the LED lights---Not just the clock. And that b/c, well, "0" doesn't always indicate "out of time".

A guy is leading off at first, pitchers tries to pick him off—-he dives in and touches the bag on time, but the first baseman makes a super aggressive sweeping tag dislodging the runners hand. Out or safe?

A guy is leading off at first, pitchers tries to pick him off—-he dives in and touches the bag on time, but the first baseman makes a super aggressive sweeping tag dislodging the runners hand. Out or safe?
Meh...THat is a play you really have to be a part of. I mean, its judgement really. Do you think the player was responsible---or the tag? Was it a "tag", or a "push".A lot goes into that. I'd say on a normal basis, you will see a "safe" call. Its easier to argue the player forced his hand off, then that of he didn't. Usually though, a play where a runner is forced off the bag is pretty noticeable. It sticks out. When it doesn't is when it can get tricky.

Reactions: toonces11
You know, the ones who don't have any game so they have to officiate. Best of luck to Archie the Wolfpacker
I played. Nothing special. I'm fine with that. Baseball was my sport. Got me to college, and started my officiating/umpiring. No complaints from me.

Good luck to State. Loved them dudes as a kid.

I played. Nothing special. I'm fine with that. Baseball was my sport. Got me to college, and started my officiating/umpiring. No complaints from me.

Good luck to State. Loved them dudes as a kid.
Glad you got smarter the older you got.
Where did you play college ball?

Can you finally tell me who the fck is on first?

Also, I couldn't agree more about being at a Indiana high school basketball game! If you truly love this game like I'm sure most of us do, it has to be on your bucket list! Walking into a gym that seats close to 10k people and is near 50 years old is amazing. Then to watch as the gym quickly starts to fill up until its standing room only. It sometimes feels like you got into a time machine and went back to the 50s or 60s while there.

They started to play some actual games in the gym used for the movie Hoosiers a few years back (not positive how long ago they started this). I'm really hoping to get up there in the next few years to watch a game.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
What is the most secure way to pay a dad of a 5* recruit, and not get caught? TIA

Why do officials feel like people are there to see them? Officials are not more important then the players or game. Less is more in this instance.The best officials are rarely even noticed or part of the post game discussion.

Why do officials feel like people are there to see them? Officials are not more important then the players or game. Less is more in this instance.The best officials are rarely even noticed or part of the post game discussion.
I laugh at this every time I hear it. Please, enlighten me. When was the last game you watched, where you OR someone didn't discuss the officiating? Or, "notice" the officials?

I'll wait.

I laugh at this every time I hear it. Please, enlighten me. When was the last game you watched, where you OR someone didn't discuss the officiating? Or, "notice" the officials?

I'll wait.
Probably many years ago because it’s been a long time since there were any good officials.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Probably many years ago because it’s been a long time since there were any good officials.
Probably. Need so new blood. Guys like you and some other board members who apparently could do it better. Give me call, I'll hook ya up, brother.Winking

If we're being honest it would be a pretty easy job.

Foul!
Travel!
Double Dribble!

There's really not much to it.
You got it. Kinda of similar to paying a player...or two.

Agent

Check

Kansas

Really, not much to it...Winking

Wasn’t Romeo Langford mentioned just 2 weeks ago?
Yep...He's an Adidas kid. Not surprise, really.

And since you have heard????''......Yeah, nadda.

Indiana has zero ties...Zero mentions.

KU on the other hand......................:(

Now, you took yourt shot at officiating...I took mine at KU. Can we now get back to the topic?

Yep...He's an Adidas kid. Not surprise, really.

And since you have heard????''......Yeah, nadda.

Indiana has zero ties...Zero mentions.

KU on the other hand......................:(

Now, you took yourt shot at officiating...I took mine at KU. Can we now get back to the topic?
Well, as of today KU has zero ties either but let's get back on point.

How can we MOGA?

I’ve been around youth sports for a few years. My son has played elite level travel baseball & AAU basketball.
I know more than few teams that I dread playing against because of the other teams parents or coaches. Some of them act like total assholes.

Do you ever let a close play go against a team because of the way their parents or coach acts?

My son used to play with a kid that was VERY emotional. He acted a fool on the pitchers mound. The worse he acted, the smaller the strike zone would get.

ADVERTISEMENT