ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

i love this new transfer system. Forces coaches to either keep their players happy or risk losing them. gonna be a lot tougher for big time programs to stash great players on their bench or not give minutes to freshmen and that's going to result in the smaller programs getting better players than they previously would've gotten.
I actually agree with this. College basketball hasn’t been “pure” for a long time, at least now a wider range of schools will have top-end talent.

All things equal, sure, I’d love the days of 4-year players and round robin conference schedules. That’s gone, though, and we may as well lean into it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Do y’all not think this will essentially be the end of the mid major Cinderella stories in March. GRad transfers made it hard enough on mid major, now allowing any player to transfer without sitting.

I see it as the beginning of the end for mid majors. I see no way a true mid major could maintain success under this format. Guess we will see.

Reactions: fleckabelly
I’m not so sure. All I foresee happening is as soon as a kid does anything impactful at a mid major, he will be looking for a P6 to transfer to.

I dislike this as much as you like it @WeAreDePaul

And the days of stashing freshmen away on the bench have been long gone anyways.

and for every player who leaves a mid major to move up the ladder there will be a player getting replaced at that P6 school who will then be looking to move down the ladder.

Plenty of freshmen and young players get stuck on the bench these days, not sure what you're talking about there. Maybe not too many of the elite of the elite, but plenty of guys who were 4 and 3 stars. Heck, look at UNC this year? They tried stashing that freshman and now he's at Auburn.

yea I don't see a downside to this at all.

Do y’all not think this will essentially be the end of the mid major Cinderella stories in March. GRad transfers made it hard enough on mid major, now allowing any player to transfer without sitting.

I see it as the beginning of the end for mid majors. I see no way a true mid major could maintain success under this format. Guess we will see.
Mid majors will now be the feeder system for P5 teams.

I actually agree with this. College basketball hasn’t been “pure” for a long time, at least now a wider range of schools will have top-end talent.

All things equal, sure, I’d love the days of 4-year players and round robin conference schedules. That’s gone, though, and we may as well lean into it.

Why do you think having all the top end talent transfer to the P6 will lead to a wider range of schools with high end talent. To me it will be even less. I mean we’ve got Marshall’s starting PG transferring to Louisville, without even being sure if he will be the starter or if carlik comes back he will be the backup.

One left. (two if Jackson stays)

EyPG1RdWgAEUwk5

hearing that Cameron Krutwig might stick around for another year of college, but will follow his coach to Oklahoma to do it.

If that happens that's a huge get for OU. Would love to see a whole season of Krutwig playing in a good conference. He's a joy to watch play. Like a mini, poor mans but fatter Jokic.

Reactions: WestTexasRaider
and for every player who leaves a mid major to move up the ladder there will be a player getting replaced at that P6 school who will then be looking to move down the ladder.

Plenty of freshmen and young players get stuck on the bench these days, not sure what you're talking about there. Maybe not too many of the elite of the elite, but plenty of guys who were 4 and 3 stars. Heck, look at UNC this year? They tried stashing that freshman and now he's at Auburn.

yea I don't see a downside to this at all.

Yea the good mid majors will move up while the under whelming P5 players will move down, and you think that will even out talent wise? And mid majors won’t suffer dramatically from this? I guess we can agree to disagree. Like I said, P6 programs are plucking mid majors best players without them even knowing whether they will start at their new school or not.

And while Walker Kessler is very talented, he wasn’t being “stashed” to keep him from going pro. He had a few really good games, but dude wasn’t hardly Dirk sittin over there on the bench. He wasn’t getting clock bc the players on the roster ahead of him were better players at this point in their careers. And they were all much much farther along physically.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Why do you think having all the top end talent transfer to the P6 will lead to a wider range of schools with high end talent. To me it will be even less. I mean we’ve got Marshall’s starting PG transferring to Louisville, without even being sure if he will be the starter or if carlik comes back he will be the backup.
Because it’s not just good mid-major players transferring to Louisville. There’s also a lot of high-major players who didn’t get ideal minutes more easily leaving for smaller schools.

One left. (two if Jackson stays)

EyPG1RdWgAEUwk5

Suprised to see askew land on his feet at TX. Figured he was Pac12 bound, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Has Fletcher announced where he’s transferring to?

For as much crap as cal has gotten for usually not retaining anyone, he should be given credit this year, esp if he can keep that core of big men together. I don’t see how there’s gonna be enough mins for everyone, but that’s always a good problem to have I suppose.

Let's review the Texas Tech's transfers.

Committed to Another School
Nimari Burnett to Alabama
Micah Peavy to TCU

In the portal
Mac McClung (could go pro, too)
Kyler Edwards
Jamarius Burton
Tyreek Smith
Vladislav Goldin

4-star HS recruit Jaylon Tyson followed Beard to Texas
And if Shannon doesn't go pro, I'd expect him to potentially do the same. He reached out to staffs in December about potentially transferring.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Because it’s not just good mid-major players transferring to Louisville. There’s also a lot of high-major players who didn’t get ideal minutes more easily leaving for smaller schools.

I totally understand this. What I’m saying is, it’s not an equal ratio. It’s doesn’t much matter if a former 5 star transfers to a mid major if he’s played his entire college career like a 3 star player. That’s “high end” talent, but it’s not the same.

We will keep this to Louisville, keep it simple. Last year we lost a former 4 star guard Darius Perry, transferred down a level to ucf. Now we got carlik Jones, Radfords best player, their conf player of year, etc etc.

Now who benefitted more from this trade off? The mid major ucf who added a former top 75 recruit who averaged 10 ppg for ucf. Or Louisville whose transfer from radford ended up being all acc and a finalist for conference player of the year.

How anyone could possibly think this rule is just as beneficial to mid majors, or even in the same stratosphere, as it is P6 teams is beyond me.

Not to mention most of the best mid majors ever were senior heavy teams who “grew” together over the course of their college careers.

Losing your best player doesn’t equal adding a former P5 player who didn’t work out at the P5 level, for whatever reason.

There will always be outliers and exceptions, but on the whole, this rule is terrible for mid majors imo.

i love this new transfer system. Forces coaches to either keep their players happy or risk losing them. gonna be a lot tougher for big time programs to stash great players on their bench or not give minutes to freshmen and that's going to result in the smaller programs getting better players than they previously would've gotten.
Problem is that every freshman in the top 150 thinks they deserve a lot of minutes from day one and a lot of them don't.

I totally understand this. What I’m saying is, it’s not an equal ratio. It’s doesn’t much matter if a former 5 star transfers to a mid major if he’s played his entire college career like a 3 star player. That’s “high end” talent, but it’s not the same.

We will keep this to Louisville, keep it simple. Last year we lost a former 4 star guard Darius Perry, transferred down a level to ucf. Now we got carlik Jones, Radfords best player, their conf player of year, etc etc.

Now who benefitted more from this trade off? The mid major ucf who added a former top 75 recruit who averaged 10 ppg for ucf. Or Louisville whose transfer from radford ended up being all acc and a finalist for conference player of the year.

How anyone could possibly think this rule is just as beneficial to mid majors, or even in the same stratosphere, as it is P6 teams is beyond me.

Not to mention most of the best mid majors ever were senior heavy teams who “grew” together over the course of their college careers.
But a lot of times these players play better at mid-majors than they did buried on the bench. Nobody’s saying it’ll be “just as beneficial” for mid-major teams. Newsflash, college basketball will always favor the giants. This is no different.

That doesn’t mean it’s exclusively good for high-majors. Sometimes it’s about a mid-major finding pieces they typically wouldn’t have access to rather than finding superstars.

If you think Christian Brown, Taeshon Cherry, DJ Harvey, Gerald Liddell, Will Baker, Jermarl Baker, Raequan Battle, etc (these guys are just placeholder examples) aren't going to have a much bigger impact at their new schools than P6 schools then I guess you’re entitled to that opinion.

Losing your best player doesn’t equal adding a former P5 player who didn’t work out at the P5 level, for whatever reason.

There will always be outliers and exceptions, but on the whole, this rule is terrible for mid majors imo.
Not every mid-major is losing their best player. You’re stuck in a vacuum where this happened at Louisville so it has to always happen everywhere. Of course this will be horrible for some mid-majors and some high-majors, it’s not going to always be horrible for every single mid-major team, though.

hearing that Cameron Krutwig might stick around for another year of college, but will follow his coach to Oklahoma to do it.

If that happens that's a huge get for OU. Would love to see a whole season of Krutwig playing in a good conference. He's a joy to watch play. Like a mini, poor mans but fatter Jokic.

I do like the Jokic comparison. I made that same comparison before the start of the season. Krutwig would be a HUGE get for Oklahoma.

Cameron Krutwig is like the college version of Nikola Jokic.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I'm happy with the transfers in vs. transfers out for UVA so far.

I like Jayden Gardner (ECU) more than I like Justin McKoy (UNC)
I like Armaan Franklin (Indiana) more than I like Casey Morsell (NC State)

The only transfer out that we have yet to replace is Abdur-Rahim (Georgia). I see that as the biggest loss so far.

Also, we may need to add someone if Murphy stays in the draft. That would be a really big loss.

UVA will look very different next year. Should be tougher defensively and more balanced offensively though. I like our potential if Murphy remains.

Reactions: dukedevilz

I prefer the example of Semi Ojeleye instead. Big time recruit didn't work out at Duke, transferred to SMU and became a star. I think we'll see a lot more of that with the new transfer rule.

Look at Grimes at Houston. Helped turn that team into a F4 team, but started out as a top 10 recruit for Kansas.

Problem is that every freshman in the top 150 thinks they deserve a lot of minutes from day one and a lot of them don't.
You see that as a problem and I see it as an opportunity for a lesser school to get some of those top 150 players who normally wouldn't look at them.

Any updates on Adam Miller? Wondering where our hometown prima donna is off to next.

But a lot of times these players play better at mid-majors than they did buried on the bench. Nobody’s saying it’ll be “just as beneficial” for mid-major teams. Newsflash, college basketball will always favor the giants. This is no different.

That doesn’t mean it’s exclusively good for high-majors. Sometimes it’s about a mid-major finding pieces they typically wouldn’t have access to rather than finding superstars.

If you think Christian Brown, Taeshon Cherry, DJ Harvey, Gerald Liddell, Will Baker, Jermarl Baker, Raequan Battle, etc (these guys are just placeholder examples) aren't going to have a much bigger impact at their new schools than P6 schools then I guess you’re entitled to that opinion.

No I’m just saying the impact those guys will have at their new school is no where near as significant as the number of mid major teams losing their best player to a P5 program.

No I’m just saying the impact those guys will have at their new school is no where near as significant as the number of mid major teams losing their best player to a P5 program.
That’s certainly an opinion you’re entitled to. I guess we’ll see how it all unfolds

I prefer the example of Semi Ojeleye instead. Big time recruit didn't work out at Duke, transferred to SMU and became a star. I think we'll see a lot more of that with the new transfer rule.

Look at Grimes at Houston. Helped turn that team into a F4 team, but started out as a top 10 recruit for Kansas.

Yea but AAC isn’t a traditional mid major conference, imo. Those are two very good examples though, of guys transferring down and succeeding.

Now I can name 4-5 from Louisville alone Over the past 4-5 years. Damion Lee, trey Lewis, Christian Cunningham, Fresh Kimble, Charles mineland, Carlik Jones..... now west from Marshall. That’s 7 different mid majors that we took their best player the past 5-6 years. If you don’t have to wait till you graduate to transfer without sitting, it’s just gonna get worse.

I mean I get it, and your not wrong. I just don’t think it weighs out in the end, and I don’t think it’s even close, but just my opinion.

I'm happy with the transfers in vs. transfers out for UVA so far.

I like Jayden Gardner (ECU) more than I like Justin McKoy (UNC)
I like Armaan Franklin (Indiana) more than I like Casey Morsell (NC State)

The only transfer out that we have yet to replace is Abdur-Rahim (Georgia). I see that as the biggest loss so far.

Also, we may need to add someone if Murphy stays in the draft. That would be a really big loss.

UVA will look very different next year. Should be tougher defensively and more balanced offensively though. I like our potential if Murphy remains.
You're going to love Armaan Franklin. He's going to fit in on day one at Virginia.

Reactions: jhmossy
Another blue blood just lost a top 20 recruit. Kansas and Thompson. Where's he gonna go?

yea I love this shit. This is totally gonna keep the blue bloods in check. You go out and do all your recruiting off the McDonalds AA team you're gonna end up with kids with big egos who all think they are on their way to being the next superstar. You don't play to that ego you're gonna end up just upsetting those kids and watching them jump ship.

Suprised to see askew land on his feet at TX. Figured he was Pac12 bound, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Has Fletcher announced where he’s transferring to?

For as much crap as cal has gotten for usually not retaining anyone, he should be given credit this year, esp if he can keep that core of big men together. I don’t see how there’s gonna be enough mins for everyone, but that’s always a good problem to have I suppose.
Fletcher is rumored to be headed to Florida St

Be a nice landing spot for him, imo. Hate to see them add another stud lol.

Whether I agree or not, this transfer ish is as entertaining as can be.

Be a nice landing spot for him, imo. Hate to see them add another stud lol.

Whether I agree or not, this transfer ish is as entertaining as can be.
and isn't that enough? That's why we follow this stuff, right? To be entertained. And like you said, this is very entertaining. It's like the NBA free agency period, but on a much larger scale.

You go out and do all your recruiting off the McDonalds AA team you're gonna end up with kids with big egos who all think they are on their way to being the next superstar. You don't play to that ego you're gonna end up just upsetting those kids and watching them jump ship.
I feel like Roy knew this sooner than others, which is probably also why so many kids stayed longer than expected. He found kids without the egos and without the handlers, or at least tried his best to. Cal on the other hand... I'm sure this doesn't fit every instance, but generally speaking I feel it does. For instance, I know Roy lost out on studs to Cal and K plenty of times. Just saying, Roy was always known to shy away from kids with handlers, and for this very reason I'm sure.

I feel like Roy knew this sooner than others, which is probably also why so many kids stayed longer than expected. He found kids without the egos and without the handlers, or at least tried his best to. Cal on the other hand... I'm sure this doesn't fit every instance, but generally speaking I feel it does. For instance, I know Roy lost out on studs to Cal and K plenty of times. Just saying, Roy was always known to shy away from kids with handlers, and for this very reason I'm sure.
Thanks for staying away from John Wall. Winking

Any updates on Adam Miller? Wondering where our hometown prima donna is off to next.

Wait, are you a Peoria guy, too?? Haha. Anyway, most people I have read are predicting he actually comes back to Illinois, but I am not so sure. He started every single game on a top 5 team that would still be very good next year with his return (and potentially JUST as good if Kofi stays, too), and next year's team would heavily feature him as a star, with no Ayo ... and that clearly didn't make it a no-brainer for him, so I am skeptical.

Would love to have him back, not just because I think he's primed for an awesome sophomore year but also because it's nice to have a Peoria star on the roster.

Wait, are you a Peoria guy, too?? Haha. Anyway, most people I have read are predicting he actually comes back to Illinois, but I am not so sure. He started every single game on a top 5 team that would still be very good next year with his return (and potentially JUST as good if Kofi stays, too), and next year's team would heavily feature him as a star, with no Ayo ... and that clearly didn't make it a no-brainer for him, so I am skeptical.

Would love to have him back, not just because I think he's primed for an awesome sophomore year but also because it's nice to have a Peoria star on the roster.
Originally. Live outside of it now. I just know he wants to go bigger, which sounds silly considering Illinois’ season. He was tied to Kansas originally (early hs), but Jerrance left for Texas, so who knows now. Heard UK could be in play too. We’ll see.

Greg Brown is giving off mixed messages.
His uncle Roderick Anderson played for Tom Penders when Chris Beard was a student manager.
It was his uncle who trained him. His Dad was a Football guy
They are loyal to Texas. Even his mom ran track at Texas. But Anderson and the older Greg Brown came from bad poverty in Baton Rouge.
University of Texas gave them a lot.

So we will see.

If he goes pro. You possibly could see them go after Adam Miller

Bryce Hamilton is another. He is Jordan Hamilton's cousin.

Theo John is leaving Marquette. Far from a star, but the kind of role player that could really round out a roster.

ADVERTISEMENT