ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

What do you mean "we saw how that turned out"? They were the #1 Overall Seed in the Big Dance, won the ACCT and lost in the Elite 8 in a 1 point game.

No one can guarantee championships no matter how incredible the roster is. The single elimination format of the NCAAT makes that impossible.

My expectation is that we win the ACC next year and make the Elite 8 at least but be a favorite to cut down the nets.

I assume you mean the ACC tournament because LOL at Duke winning the ACC regular season. Duke will blow games in the regular season, K will talk about how young they are how they have no bench, and K will watch either Bennett or Ham win the regular season again.

Who wants to bet the AFAM U fans spin this as a positive or not a big deal. But I do recall their excitement for this kid for next year and the year after. Gee, wonder what happened.

Liars and cheaters are gonna lie and cheat.
It is a HUGE loss, if we don't replace with the right guy. I really want to go all in on Dawson Garcia, if he can be had to replace Kessler we are good. I think Garcia will be better next year at Carolina than Kessler will be elsewhere NEXT YEAR. Now does Kessler have a big upside? Of course but it looks like he only wants to play one more year of College before entering the draft, so I am not worried about how good he will be in two years.

I assume you mean the ACC tournament because LOL at Duke winning the ACC regular season. Duke will blow games in the regular season, K will talk about how young they are how they have no bench, and K will watch either Bennett or Ham win the regular season again.

Probably, but we'll still find a way to beat Virginia and FSU. Since 2014, UVA is 3-7 against Duke, while FSU is 1-8.

Probably, but we'll still find a way to beat Virginia and FSU. Since 2014, UVA is 3-7 against Duke, while FSU is 1-8.

We will hold it down for y’all. We at least beat duke at a decent clip. Much much better than we do against FSU or esp uva.

PAC 12 Players in the portal:

Arizona:
Terrell Brown (Committed to Washinton)
Ira Lee (Committed to George Washington)
Jemarl Baker Jr.

Arizona State:
Jaelen House
Taeshon Cherry

California:
Juhwan Harrison-Dyson

Oregon:
Addison Patterson (Committed to Nevada)

Oregon State:
Alfred Hollins

Utah:
Brendan Wenzel (Committed to Wyoming)
Jordan Kellier
Timmy Allen
Lahat Thioune

Washington:
Erik Stevenson
RaeQuan Battle
Nate Pryor
J'Raan Brooks
Marcus Tsohonis

Washington State:
Myles Warren
Brandton Chatfield
Aljaz Kunc (Committed to Iowa State)

This is what I've seen so far. I may have missed someone since it seems like another player enters the portal every 5 minutes

You play for H2Hs, we play for championships.

lol right. It's sad we haven't won an ACC Title in 11 years; haven't won the ACC outright since 2006.

But, in the aforementioned timeframe, we have matched you all in national titles- and we have one more elite eight & Sweet 16 appearance.

Reactions: jhmossy
lol right. It's sad we haven't won an ACC Title in 11 years; haven't won the ACC outright since 2006.

But, in the aforementioned timeframe, we have matched you all in national titles- and we have one more elite eight & Sweet 16 appearance.

Yeah but you're DUKE and we're VIRGINIA. Coach K would probably bury most of our players the last 6-7 years on your bench. The fact that it's even close should concern you moving forward, particularly when Coach K retires. Maybe Duke is a blue blood program or maybe Duke simply has had a GOAT coach. I'd hate for Duke to turn into Indiana part II lol

Yeah but you're DUKE and we're VIRGINIA. Coach K would probably bury most of our players the last 6-7 years on your bench. The fact that it's even close should concern you moving forward, particularly when Coach K retires. Maybe Duke is a blue blood program or maybe Duke simply has had a GOAT coach. I'd hate for Duke to turn into Indiana part II lol

Duke post coach K will be interesting. They have the resources and brand so they shouldn't just become Wake Forest. However, I'm not sure if they can keep winning at the same rates that K did.

Duke post coach K will be interesting. They have the resources and brand so they shouldn't just become Wake Forest. However, I'm not sure if they can keep winning at the same rates that K did.

Yeah, they're obviously not going to fall off the map completely. However, an expectation of sustained success at the level of Coach K is also ridiculous. I also wonder if they'll keep the hire within the Duke family or not. I haven't been very impressed by their coaching tree in the college ranks.

Yeah, they're obviously not going to fall off the map completely. However, an expectation of sustained success at the level of Coach K is also ridiculous. I also wonder if they'll keep the hire within the Duke family or not. I haven't been very impressed by their coaching tree in the college ranks.

Duke will definitely have some serious decisions to make after K retires. I think the biggest mistake Duke could make would be to limit their search to K's coaching tree. It's not likely they are going to find another Coach K. They need to find the best available coach.

Duke will definitely have some serious decisions to make after K retires. I think the biggest mistake Duke could make would be to limit their search to K's coaching tree. It's not likely they are going to find another Coach K. They need to find the best available coach.

I'm not so sure they'll go for the big name coach. Duke name and a big name coach equals a ton of pressure. I'd rather find a guy that can take a little pressure off the Duke name, which won't be easy.

I just wouldn't want to be the AD making that decision. You're more likely than not to fail.

I'm not so sure they'll go for the big name coach. Duke name and a big name coach equals a ton of pressure. I'd rather find a guy that can take a little pressure off the Duke name, which won't be easy.

I just wouldn't want to be the AD making that decision. You're more likely than not to fail.

I think Duke has to do that. The Duke "brand" matters and a lot of that is built by Coach K. Having an elite coach is a big reason why they are able to recruit elite talent.

If I'm Duke, I'm reaching for the stars in this next hire. I'm not hiring some K assistant or giving a low major coach a chance. IMO that's the worst possible decision Duke could make after K retires

I think Duke has to do that. The Duke "brand" matters and a lot of that is built by Coach K. Having an elite coach is a big reason why they are able to recruit elite talent.

If I'm Duke, I'm reaching for the stars in this next hire. I'm not hiring some K assistant or giving a low major coach a chance. IMO that's the worst possible decision Duke could make after K retires

Most of Duke's success didn't come from recruiting the elite talent of each class.

Most of Duke's success didn't come from recruiting the elite talent of each class.

College basketball is changing. Even K's approach is drastically different than it was in the 90s or even the 2000s. Trying to replicate what K did in the 90s would be a total disaster, even if K tried to do it.

College basketball is changing. Even K's approach is drastically different than it was in the 90s or even the 2000s. Trying to replicate what K did in the 90s would be a total disaster, even if K tried to do it.

I disagree. NBA rules will be changing in 2-3 years. College basketball won't be a 6 month stop for elite talent anymore. Once that happens, I'd rather go back to the 3-4 year players. Most championships are still won by experienced teams, not the elite talent that stops by for a brief hello.

I disagree. NBA rules will be changing in 2-3 years. College basketball won't be a 6 month stop for elite talent anymore. Once that happens, I'd rather go back to the 3-4 year players. Most championships are still won by experienced teams, not the elite talent that stops by for a brief hello.

It's possible NBA reform could make the OAD less prevalent. However, the emergence of the transfer portal isn't going away. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if the NCAA completely eliminates the rule that requires transfers to sit for one year. I think whoever embraces this change the best will end up emerging from the pack. Obviously schools with the most resources, Duke included, will have a leg up. But if they try to replicate a strategy from the 90s, I don't think it will be successful.

Reactions: Villian07
Yea I almost feel like they might be best served to promote from within at first, kind of like a sacrificial lamb, so the next guy doesn’t always have to compares to K and “fill those shoes” so to say, even though I guess it really doesn’t matter bc duke could have 5 diff coaches in 15 years after K retires and the next one will still be compared to K. So I guess if they can get a home run as soon as K retires it would be insane not to pursue. But I can def see some coaches not wanting to be the guy that follows K at Duke.

First world problems lol.

It's possible NBA reform could make the OAD less prevalent. However, the emergence of the transfer portal isn't going away. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if the NCAA completely eliminates the rule that requires transfers to sit for one year. I think whoever embraces this change the best will end up emerging from the pack. Obviously schools with the most resources, Duke included, will have a leg up. But if they try to replicate a strategy from the 90s, I don't think it will be successful.

Outside of the instant impact freshmen, I’m afraid the big timeP5 programs will start doing all their recruiting from mid majors and let mid majors recruit the low 5 star-four star players and let them figure out who will pan out and who won’t and then poach the ones that do. Seems it would be much easier than the crapshoot that is HS recruiting outside of the top 3-5 players depending the year.

Plus it’s fun watching players develop. It was fun watching Jordan Nwora come in so clumsy he looked like he couldn’t walk and chew bubble gum, and hone his game into a first round pick. Hell it was fun watching Ryan Mcmahon develop over 5 years, when he came in he couldn’t guard the water boy, all he could do was shoot. And he never turned into any all star or anything, but it was fun watching him develop into a contributor. And that not even mentioning guys like Russ smith and gorgui dieng from way back.

Im afraid that will be a thing of the past too, withbasically a new team every year for everyone after hitting the transfer market and recruiting, and losing transfers.

Outside of the instant impact freshmen, I’m afraid the big timeP5 programs will start doing all their recruiting from mid majors and let mid majors recruit the low 5 star-four star players and let them figure out who will pan out and who won’t and then poach the ones that do. Seems it would be much easier than the crapshoot that is HS recruiting outside of the top 3-5 players depending the year.

Plus it’s fun watching players develop. It was fun watching Jordan Nwora come in so clumsy he looked like he couldn’t walk and chew bubble gum, and hone his game into a first round pick. Hell it was fun watching Ryan Mcmahon develop over 5 years, when he came in he couldn’t guard the water boy, all he could do was shoot. And he never turned into any all star or anything, but it was fun watching him develop into a contributor. And that not even mentioning guys like Russ smith and gorgui dieng from way back.

Im afraid that will be a thing of the past too, withbasically a new team every year for everyone after hitting the transfer market and recruiting, and losing transfers.

I think most of the recruiting will start to happen in the portal

Yea that’s what I meant, or even before that like schools “getting it out there” that there’s a spot for so and so should they enter the portal. Plus if the NIL stuff comes thru, they could offer the financial advantages of playing for a big name school over a small one.

Looks like Jordan Goldwire will enter the portal as a grad transfer. It was a long shot, but I would’ve loved to have had him back, he was one of my favorite Duke players these last few years.

Looks like Jordan Goldwire will enter the portal as a grad transfer. It was a long shot, but I would’ve loved to have had him back, he was one of my favorite Duke players these last few years.

Probably just making more room for Keels

Not sure if they noticed, but Michigan St picked up a nice PG today.

Wanted that dude, even though he's a little undersized. Thankfully there are/will be 5,000 more guards available.

A few more notable names...

Rocket Watts, Michigan State
Tyon Grant-Foster, Kansas (#1 JUCO player in 2020)
Dallas Walton, Colorado
D'Shawn Schwartz, Colorado
Mark Smith, Missouri

Any idea what happened here?

Nope. Pretty surprising to be honest because he and his dad had agreed to a redshirt year. He was seldom used in a “free” year so maybe that contributed to it. We are gonna need a lot of transfers in to be competitive next year.

ADVERTISEMENT