ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Today is Today's Game Thread***

Thats not what I asked...I asked do you think Top 30 is good? Quit being Joe Biden, and answer THE question I asked. I don't need an explanation as answer...

It is simple: Do you think Top 30 is good?

BTW, I get why you won't answer...

Not good enough.
Those rankings don't mean shit anyway when the tournament starts...

Do you understand. If you don't win...

It isn't good enough

Great for Few...

We celebrate different things...

I don't want to turn this into a Wright vs Few pissing contest

If I had to bet your kidney on it.
I would bet on Wright winning another championship before Few
You don't wanna turn this into a Wright vs Few pissing contest---Yet you are the one who brought Wright and Villanova into the discussion....

8 times in 14 tourneys, Wright has lost in the 2nd round...Past 10, he has done so 7 times, and missed the NCAA's once...

But since he has won 2 titles----he's better?

So I guess that means you'd take Kevin Ollie over Few, as well?

Also, if you wanna bet YOUR kidney on Wright winning another title before Few---go right ahead. But leave my body parts out of it...Few has a very good team this year---I'd take Gonzaga right now over Nova-----Easily TBH.

You went back since 2003 to cherry pick KenPom ratings

The lowest you found was 18...

Maybe you went back even further than 2003.
I cherry picked? Dude I went back to 2002----First year of KenPom...

You still don't understand---do you? I walked you right into the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for playing..

So I guess that means since 2014, Mark Few has had 5 teams that were elite, defensively:
2014: 18th
2015: 16
2017: 1
2018: 18th
2019: 12th.

Right?

I don't know where that Syracuse team entered the tournament...

But they turned it on with their defense to win the NCAA Tournament

Hakim Warrick ended up being a top draft pick because of his interior defense in the zone .

Boeheim will be the first coach to tell you that you have to turn up the defense in the tournament.

To act like somehow that Syracuse team won without an elite defense is crazy...

This is why sometimes those "efficiency" numbers don't tell the full story

I don't know where that Syracuse team entered the tournament...

But they turned it on with their defense to win the NCAA Tournament

Hakim Warrick ended up being a top draft pick because of his interior defense in the zone .

Boeheim will be the first coach to tell you that you have to turn up the defense in the tournament
Oh....I see. So now its, "turning it up in the NCAAT".

Dude......

1slj61ueqko.gif

You see where your argument went wrong though...

Those efficiency numbers don't matter...

Syracuse won that NC with their defense, brother

Warrick blocked the guy on the baseline. Came out of nowhere

That entire tournament they unleashed the zone. Were lucky because they matched up against the Big 12 when the Big 12 was almost 100% man to man

You see where your argument went wrong though...

Those efficiency numbers don't matter...

Warrick blocked the guy on the baseline. Came out of nowhere

That entire tournament they unleashed the zone. Were lucky because they matched up against the Big 12 when the Big 12 was almost 100% man to man
What argument? I am not arguing their defense is ELITE...never said that. Never argued their defense was good enough to win a title....Never said that either.

I just said, their defense was usually GOOD, to REALLY good. That was it.

You are the one who started with the "not elite...not good enough to win a title", etc, etc...

Why? None of what you are saying has any relevance to what I said.

In other words---You are arguing with yourself.

And now, NOW you have changed your argument. Now its, "they turned it up in the tourney...Or using ONE play, i.e. Warrick block...Or "unleashing the zone". I mean WTF does that even mean: Unleashing the zone? Dude SU has played that same zone for 900 years.

Bro, you are all over the place. Rather you are trolling, bad at basketball, or both...

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Really? Ummmm, they gave up 84 points to Texas...78 to Kansas. That is 162 points, in two games: 81ppg to be exact.

Texas shot 48% from three vs that defense---that "unleashed zone" you speak of..
Kansas shot 52% vs Syracuse...

Syracuse won b/c they scored......95 vs TX...81 vs KU.

Warrick made a great play at the end...His 2nd block of the game. Which barely beat out is monster game of ONE block vs Texas.

JFC you are stupid.

Not good enough.
Those rankings don't mean shit anyway when the tournament starts...

Do you understand. If you don't win...

It isn't good enough

You're talking about a program that has the longest active Sweet 16 streak in the country (5 straight). That 2017 Gonzaga team had one of the premier defenses this century. I think they win the national title if all of the bigs don't get in foul trouble. UNC and Villanova are the only two programs that have won more tournament games than Gonzaga in the past 5 years. At some point you have to give them a little more credit. The 2021 Gonzaga team should have a better defense with Jalen Suggs and Oumar Ballo in the lineup.

You're talking about a program that has the longest active Sweet 16 streak in the country (5 straight). That 2017 Gonzaga team had one of the premier defenses this century. I think they win the national title if all of the bigs don't get in foul trouble. UNC and Villanova are the only two programs that have won more tournament games than Gonzaga in the past 5 years. At some point you have to give them a little more credit. The 2021 Gonzaga team should have a better defense with Jalen Suggs and Oumar Ballo in the lineup.

But you do know that we have people who give Gonzaga way too much credit.

Not trying to disrespect Few at all nor the Gonzaga program but there is something missing there.

Congratulations on their Sweet 16 run but it seems like people want to find things to celebrate about Few instead of actually having things.
This is what happens when at the end of the day that program only has that 1 Final 4 to stand on.

The coaches who have been to 1 Final 4 since 2000...

That is the group Few is in.

But you do know that we have people who give Gonzaga way too much credit.

Not trying to disrespect Few at all nor the Gonzaga program but there is something missing there.

Congratulations on their Sweet 16 run but it seems like people want to find things to celebrate about Few instead of actually having things.
This is what happens when at the end of the day that program only has that 1 Final 4 to stand on.

The coaches who have been to 1 Final 4 since 2000...

That is the group Few is in.

How many coaches have been to the Elite Eight 3 times in the span of 5 years? Not even Jay Wright can claim that.

Everyone has different standards.

If you want to celebrate Elite 8 appearances that is on you.

Sean Miller would be happy though

The most laudable aspect of Gonzaga's program is their elite level of consistency in recent years. While 5 straight Sweet 16's may not seem like a big deal, consider the fact that it's been sometime since Duke (02-06), Kentucky (95-99), Kansas (93-97), and UNC (89-93) have been able to achieve that same feat.

Gonzaga lost to Duke in the Elite Eight in 2015; game was tied with 3 minutes left. In 2017, they were beating UNC in the title game with 2 minutes left. Two years later, they were tied with Texas Tech, with 5 minutes left in the Elite Eight. They just as easily could have won any one of those games. It's really, really difficult to win the whole thing. Just look at Kansas. One of of the all-time great programs, and they just have two titles in the past 68 years. Gonzaga may not win it all this year, but one thing I can tell you, is they are a contender. And Jay Wright has had some amazing teams in the past 10 years. But, he he also floundered several times. He lost in the second round as 1 or 2 seed in 2010, 2014, 2015, and 2017. He only made it to the Sweet 16 twice in the past decade. Obviously the end result was phenomenal in both cases, but he has lacked consistency.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Your argument is getting back to my point.

You have to be a team who wants to take over games on the defensive end

I misspoke earlier but totally forgotten the Gonzaga/WVU Sweet 16 game

That is a game where I believe his team showed what it needed

So these games being close.. .
Because when it comes down to it you need defensive stops

Basketball hasn't and never will change.
Defense is turned up when the elite teams play and the cream rises to the top on the back of your defense

Gonzaga's league guarantees them a high seed in the tourney year after year, which means that they're likely playing a weak team until the Sweet 16.

I don't think they deserve loads of praise simply because they avoided the 2nd-round disasters that happened to Wright, Self, K, etc.

As always, the truth is probably somewhere in-between. Most people either overpraise or undervalue them.

Iowa is going to have a real hard time beating Gonzaga. They are a complete team

Gonzaga looks like they struggle more when Suggs isn’t in the game. Nembhard was just granted eligibility this week but needs to mesh in his role when Suggs isn’t playing. Right now he is dribbling way too much.

But this team will get a lot better than they are right now. They’ve got awesome offensive chemistry for a team only returning 2 starters.

Timme is the real deal. Hope he ends up being y’all’s best player, I have him on my fantasy team.

Maybe Huggins shouldn't have volunteered to replace Tennessee and play Gonzaga next week. They look seasoned already.

Gonzaga's league guarantees them a high seed in the tourney year after year, which means that they're likely playing a weak team until the Sweet 16.

I don't think they deserve loads of praise simply because they avoided the 2nd-round disasters that happened to Wright, Self, K, etc.

As always, the truth is probably somewhere in-between. Most people either overpraise or undervalue them.
Their past is what people harp on. And I get that. BUT----the pat 5 years,they have been as good as any: 3 Elite 8's, FF and a runner-up. That is solid.

To ride Wrights nuts is silly. Dude has been past the 2nd round SIX times in his 19 years at Villanova: Yes---SIX. Sure he has two titles---those were two,really,really good teams. But the fact remains he has flamed out much more than he has advanced. A lot more.

Your argument is getting back to my point.

You have to be a team who wants to take over games on the defensive end

I misspoke earlier but totally forgotten the Gonzaga/WVU Sweet 16 game

That is a game where I believe his team showed what it needed

So these games being close.. .
Because when it comes down to it you need defensive stops

Basketball hasn't and never will change.
Defense is turned up when the elite teams play and the cream rises to the top on the back of your defense
Just answer the original question....Is being a Top 30 defensive team good? YES---or---NO? Its simple, dude. Again, my ORIGINAL statement was---"Gonzaga is usually GOOD, to really GOOD defensively".

Just answer....YES----NO. Its easy.

Just answer the original question....Is being a Top 30 defensive team good? YES---or---NO? Its simple, dude. Again, my ORIGINAL statement was---"Gonzaga is usually GOOD, to really GOOD defensively".

Just answer....YES----NO. Its easy.

Good is relative...

We were talking about winning in the NCAA Tournament.

So his defenses for the most part haven't been good enough to win on the second weekend except the one year.

Nothing against Mark Few..
You have every right to believe in him and his program

I just don't.

I have explained numerous times why I don't
I am just curious....Where does me saying Gonzaga usually had good to really good defensive teams, translate to this? I never said that. Not once. So I am not sure what the **** made you go on this temper-tantrum...

Good...Then that means Gonzaga had elite defense's in 2014,2015, 2017,2018 and 2019.

Thanks for playing.

You are clueless on how KenPom works.

It is the body of work and not one game or a few games in the NCAA Tournament

We have no idea where Syracuse entered the NCAA Tournament at.

I do know this. Some things never change. Jim Boeheim has and always will be a coach who looks for his defense to get him through in the NCAA Tournament

When he did win the NCAA Championship.
It was because of his defense.

I am just curious....Where does me saying Gonzaga usually had good to really good defensive teams, translate to this? I never said that. Not once. So I am not sure what the **** made you go on this temper-tantrum...

The direction of the conversation was about Gonzaga being a favorite...

The point was Gonzaga has had issues in late games for the most part because of their defense.

If you don't believe me. Rewatch the last 10-15 years of Gonzaga Basketball in the NCAA Tournament.

2017 being the exception. Reason why they played for a NC...

ADVERTISEMENT