ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Today is Today's Game Thread***

I forgot that WVU game in the Sweet 16.

I have to give that team credit.
I misspoke because majority of time it is the other way around

Forgot the guards name but he played his ass off in that game and got Gonzaga past WVU

But still it was the players and not the program.
Nothing against Mark Few but it just isn't something that is stressed in his program.

They aren't going to beat teams on the defensive end
They are going to beat them on the offensive end

There will always be an exception to this
Same as with Villanova. There are some years they don't have it on the defensive end.

Year in and Year out Gonzaga hits a wall...

Funny thing is the one year they weren't afraid to get after on the defensive end
Few ends up in the Final 4

I forgot that WVU game in the Sweet 16.

I have to give that team credit.
I misspoke because majority of time it is the other way around

Forgot the guards name but he played his ass off in that game and got Gonzaga past WVU

But still it was the players and not the program.
Nothing against Mark Few but it just isn't something that is stressed in his program.

They aren't going to beat teams on the defensive end
They are going to beat them on the offensive end

There will always be an exception to this
Same as with Villanova. There are some years they don't have it on the defensive end.

Year in and Year out Gonzaga hits a wall...

Funny thing is the one year they weren't afraid to get after on the defensive end
Few ends up in the Final 4
Dude, they are a constant Top 30 defensive team....I wouldn't call that,"Defense not being stressed". Five times they have been a Top 20 team*defensively)....

"Hit a wall"? They have the country's longest current consecutive SW 16's at 5...

Past 5 seasons:

Elite 8
SW 16
Runner-Up
SW 16
Elite 8

What wall are they hitting?

Have you forgotten GU’s 2017 team? Best defense in the country and it lead them to an NC berth.

So the year they had a great defense...
Mark Few almost wins a NC .

My point still stands.
Reason why Jay Wright has won two.

Gonzaga needs to learn how to be a team that can grind on the defensive end
Because ultimately they will find a team who can slow their offense down when games get more physical.

Been the story of Gonzaga Basketball.

Dude, they are a constant Top 30 defensive team....I wouldn't call that,"Defense not being stressed". Five times they have been a Top 20 team*defensively)....

"Hit a wall"? They have the country's longest current consecutive SW 16's at 5...

Past 5 seasons:

Elite 8
SW 16
Runner-Up
SW 16
Elite 8

What wall are they hitting?

Don't you think having a Top 4 seed has more to do with it...

Your argument proves my point.
The year they played for a NC is the year they had a defense...

Do you watch what happens to Gonzaga every year.

Well one of those years they were an 11 seed. So that’s not true.

And even before this recent run, they haven’t lost a first round ncaa game since they played Steph Curry in 2008.

So like most of your takes, this one is terrible.

Well one of those years they were an 11 seed. So that’s not true.

And even before this recent run, they haven’t lost a first round ncaa game since they played Steph Curry in 2008.

So like most of your takes, this one is terrible.

Continue to celebrate a program with 1 Final 4 as a standard .

The program lacks championship DNA

Simple

Starts on the defensive end

Yes----I do. Starting to wonder if you do... Been to THREE Elite 8's the past 5 seasons. One FF.

One year they had a defense? Dude, are you being serious? Or do you only consider being in the Top 10 as "having a defense"? They have consistently been a Top 30 defensive team. Do I need to post their numbers again?

Do I think having a Top 4 seed has more to do with it? It helps. But why hasn't Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas , Virginia, Villanova, been to 5 consecutive SW 16's?

Like I said----GOnzaga is usually GOOD, to REALLY good defensively. And the numbers show that.

Its ok to admit you were mistaken..

Sweet 16....

Top 30 isn't good enough

You see where your argument has issues.

Elite 8.
Top 20 isn't good enough
What issues is that? My "argument" was, Gonzaga usually has a GOOD, to really good defense. Good is Top 30....Top 20 is GOOD...Being 12th and 1st is REALLY good.

So explain, what issues does my argument have?

Which is? I said Gonzaga usually has a GOOD to REALLY good defense. You said "when". I showed you they have been a Top 30 defensive team 7 times the past 10 seasons; almost 8---was 33rd once. Really good to me is a Top 15 defense. Twice they have been just that.

Not sure WTF you are arguing....

Which is? I said Gonzaga usually has a GOOD to REALLY good defense. You said "when". I showed you they have been a Top 30 defensive team 7 times the past 10 seasons; almost 8---was 33rd once. Really good to me is a Top 15 defense. Twice they have been just that.

Not sure WTF you are arguing....

We have different standards...

Good enough to get to the Sweet 16 but not past the Sweet 16

Look at your numbers
Top 30...
Isn't good enough for Sweet 16

So if you win ONE title, suddenly your program has "championship DNA"? This is such a dumb argument. "Championship DNA"...JFC. Its hard as fuk to win a title.

Go back to the Villanova/Gonzaga argument.
We will use UCLA. UCLA shocked Gonzaga in the Final minute in the Sweet 16 in 2006
Few years later they played Villanova in the tournament..

Nova had the entire team on the sideline busted up
Looked like a heavyweight vs a lightweight

That is Championship DNA. Not about winning a championship.

It is doing the things it needs to so you can win

From Day 1 that has been what Villanova has been about
Haven't seen that at Gonzaga consistently.

We have different standards...

Good enough to get to the Sweet 16 but not past the Sweet 16

Look at your numbers
Top 30...
Isn't good enough for Sweet 16
Top 30 isn't good enough for the SW 16----Yet Gonzaga has gotten to the SW 16 5 straight times with a Top 30 defense....

You make zero sense.

Not sure what the hell you arguing...So i am gonna ask this...

Do you not think being a Top 30 defensive team is good?

Do you not think being a Top 15 defensive team is really good?

My statement WAS---Gonzaga usually has a GOOD, to REALLY good defense...

Top 30 isn't good enough for the SW 16----Yet Gonzaga has gotten to the SW 16 5 straight times with a Top 30 defense....

You make zero sense.

Not sure what the hell you arguing...So i am gonna ask this...

Do you not think being a Top 30 defensive team is good?

Do you not think being a Top 15 defensive team is really good?

My statement WAS---Gonzaga usually has a GOOD, to REALLY good defense...

Playing in the Sweet 16 you will usually meet a team with a defense

Once you get to the level...
Cream rises to the top. That cream is usually an elite defensive team

You don't win at that level unless it is on the defensive end

You know basketball better than that
You have been around

Go back to the Villanova/Gonzaga argument.
We will use UCLA. UCLA shocked Gonzaga in the Final minute in the Sweet 16 in 2006
Few years later they played Villanova in the tournament..

Nova had the entire team on the sideline busted up
Looked like a heavyweight vs a lightweight

That is Championship DNA. Not about winning a championship.

It is doing the things it needs to so you can win

From Day 1 that has been what Villanova has been about
Haven't seen that at Gonzaga consistently.
So with that "Championship DNA" that Nova has, how do you explain...

2016: Champs
2017: 2nd round
2018: Champs
2019: 2nd round

Where was that "DNA in 2017 and 2019?

See how dumb that is?

So with that "Championship DNA" that Nova has, how do you explain...

2016: Champs
2017: 2nd round
2018: Champs
2019: 2nd round

Where was that "DNA in 2017 and 2019?

See how dumb that is?

You think what you want

You obviously don't know much about the sport.
If I had the choice ro learn the game from Mark Few or Jay Wright for a day

I would pick Wright.

If you think what Few does wins championship...
That is your guy
I don't

Playing in the Sweet 16 you will usually meet a team with a defense

Once you get to the level...
Cream rises to the top. That cream is usually an elite defensive team

You don't win at that level unless it is on the defensive end

You know basketball better than that
You have been around
What the hell are arguing? Again, my statement WAS:

Gonzaga usually has a GOOD, to REALLY good defense.....Are you arguing that? If so----why....how...and really?

You don't think a Top 30 defense is good?

I never said GU has consistent championship level defense----I said GOOD. Top 30 is good----Right?

What the hell are arguing? Again, my statement WAS:

Gonzaga usually has a GOOD, to REALLY good defense.....Are you arguing that? If so----why....how...and really?

You don't think a Top 30 defense is good?

I never said GU has consistent championship level defense----I said GOOD. Top 30 is good----Right?

No...

Not once you get into the second weekend

Hence the name Sweet 16 and Elite 8

Not the Round of 32

So Top 30 isn't enough

Reason why the only year he went to the Final 4 he had an elite Defense

Your numbers pretty much proved my point

You think what you want

I would pick Wright.

If you think what Few does wins championship...
That is your guy
I don't
Yeah, I know very little about the game....BTW, can you show me where I said what Few does, wins championships?

Again, slick---I said Gonzaga usually has a GOOD to REALLY good defense. You said, "When". So I showed you...Now you are talking about "winning titles"..

Huh?

Your numbers pretty much proved my point
Which is what? You don't think Top 30 is good? Out of 351 teams? I am not talking about being good enough to win a title, or get to a Final Four..Just simply asking if you don't think Top 30 is good.

If you do not---then you have zero business questioning anyone's knowledge about the game of basketball....Gonzaga is consistently in the top 10% of all teams in CBB, defensively. If you don't see that as good----Then, well....I dunno.

Yeah, I know very little about the game....BTW, can you show me where I said what Few does, wins championships?

Again, slick---I said Gonzaga usually has a GOOD to REALLY good defense. You said, "When". So I showed you...Now you are talking about "winning titles"..

Huh?

Our standards are different

I apologize.

Top 30 to me isn't elite enough to win a NC
Unless you are able to turn it up when needed.

So far I haven't seen that from Gonzaga. Maybe this year

Which is what? You don't think Top 30 is good? Out of 351 teams? I am not talking about being good enough to win a title, or get to a Final Four..Just simply asking if you don't think Top 30 is good.

If you do not---then you have zero business questioning anyone's knowledge about the game of basketball....Gonzaga is consistently in the top 10% of all teams in CBB, defensively. If you don't see that as good----Then, well....I dunno.

That was what the conversation was about.

No one questions them being a Sweet 16
But they do a NC

You think what you want

I would pick Wright.
Why? Because he's won two titles---One of those being at the buzzer. Since 2010 Wright has been past the 2nd round TWICE-----Yes----TWICE. 2016 and 2018.

If you had to pick between Kevin Ollie and Mark Few---who would take? Remember---Ollie does have a title...

Huh?
Dude don’t bother. The guy is delusional here and on the football board. He has a take every day and the next good take will be his first good take.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Our standards are different

I apologize.

Top 30 to me isn't elite enough to win a NC
Unless you are able to turn it up when needed.

So far I haven't seen that from Gonzaga. Maybe this year
Are you a democrat? Have to be. Only explanation as to why you keep dodging my question.

I didn't ask what you thought was elite....Or if Top 30 isn't or is, good enough to win a title..

I asked---Do yo think Top 30 is good.

Its a very, very simple question, that has two answers: Yes or No.

Why? Because he's won two titles---One of those being at the buzzer. Since 2010 Wright has been past the 2nd round TWICE-----Yes----TWICE. 2016 and 2018.

If you had to pick between Kevin Ollie and Mark Few---who would take? Remember---Ollie does have a title...

Jay Wright runs a better program.
Nothing against Few. Few does a lot of things right at Gonzaga.

Maybe it is the two different schools and the conferences they are in.

But for Wright to compete in the Big East his team had to be the biggest bully on the block.

So ultimately it became a mainstay in their program
I may be wrong here but from my experience that is why Villanova wins and Gonzaga doesn't

Dude don’t bother. The guy is delusional here and on the football board. He has a take every day and the next good take will be his first good take.
Yeah, he's something..My statement was rather , well, easy---and right. Gonzaga usually has a GOOD defense, to REALLY good. And they do.

Yeah, he's something..My statement was rather , well, easy---and right. Gonzaga usually has a GOOD defense, to REALLY good. And they do.

Our standards our different..

Just look at what your numbers say.

What I am saying is being proven by your numbers
Gonzaga goes deeper in the tournament when they have a better defense

So as a coach wouldn't you stress having an elite defense every year

Your feelings are hurt...

Mark Few is a good coach... But let's not make him out to be something more than he is

His weakness is on the defensive end. Will be there until he consistently proves otherwise

To think any other way is being delusional yourself.

If you can't handle it. Should stay in Gonzaga in a bubble with people who believe Mark Few can do no wrong.

Some of you are weak minded...
It is sad.

Jay Wright runs a better program.
Nothing against Few. Few does a lot of things right at Gonzaga.

Maybe it is the two different schools and the conferences they are in.

But for Wright to compete in the Big East his team had to be the biggest bully on the block.

So ultimately it became a mainstay in their program
I may be wrong here but from my experience that is why Villanova wins and Gonzaga doesn't
What does Villanova "win"? For years Wright was seen as a "choke artist". Then he finally gets to a FF in 2009....

Look at it like this....Jay Wright has been at Villanova since 2002. 19 years. In those 19 years, he has been past the 2nd round----6 times. Missed the NCAA's FOUR times.

The past 10 seasons Nova has lost in the 2nd round-----7 times...Yes 7. And missed the NCAAT once.

So, explain to me, exactly what mainstay has Wright created at Nova? Winning titles,advancing deep in the NCAAT.......---or getting bounced early?

In 8 of his 14 NCAAT, Wright has lost in the 2nd round, bro...

BTW---Mark Few has damn near been to more SW 16's the past 5 seasons(5), than Wright has been to in 19 seasons at Nova(6).

Our standards our different..

Just look at what your numbers say.

What I am saying is being proven by your numbers
Gonzaga goes deeper in the tournament when they have a better defense

So as a coach wouldn't you stress having an elite defense every year
Why is so hard for you to answer my question? Do you think having a Top 30 defense is good? Thats it, bro...SImple question...

And now here you go (again) changing the dynamics...First it was--"Defense isn't stressed(at GU)"...Now its,"wouldn't you stress having an elite defense"..

Anyways---The question is easy.

What does Villanova "win"? For years Wright was seen as a "choke artist". Then he finally gets to a FF in 2009....

Look at it like this....Jay Wright has been at Villanova since 2002. 19 years. In those 19 years, he has been past the 2nd round----6 times. Missed the NCAA's FOUR times.

The past 10 seasons Nova has lost in the 2nd round-----7 times...Yes 7. And missed the NCAAT once.

So, explain to me, exactly what mainstay has Wright created at Nova? Winning titles,advancing deep in the NCAAT.......---or getting bounced early?

In 8 of his 14 NCAAT, Wright has lost in the 2nd round, bro...

BTW---Mark Few has damn near been to more SW 16's the past 5 seasons(5), than Wright has been to in 19 seasons at Nova(6).

Great for Few...

We celebrate different things...

I don't want to turn this into a Wright vs Few pissing contest

If I had to bet your kidney on it.
I would bet on Wright winning another championship before Few

Why is so hard for you to answer my question? Do you think having a Top 30 defense is good? Thats it, bro...SImple question...

And now here you go (again) changing the dynamics...First it was--"Defense isn't stressed(at GU)"...Now its,"wouldn't you stress having an elite defense"..

Anyways---The question is easy.

Obviously it isn't good enough because he fails every year

Mark Few is a good coach... But let's not make him out to be something more than he is

His weakness is on the defensive end. Will be there until he consistently proves otherwise

If you can't handle it. Should stay in Gonzaga in a bubble with people who believe Mark Few can do no wrong.

It is sad.
I’m not upset. It’s just pointless debating with a brick wall.

It is sad.
2003 Syracuse---AdjD was 14th....Elite?
2007 Florida----AdjD was 14th...
2009 UNC----AdjD was 18th
2011 Uconn---AdjD was 12th. Is that to you elite?
2015 Duke----AdjD was 11. Elite? BTW, runner-up Wisconsin was 35th.
2017 UNC----AdjD was 11th....Elite?
2018 Nova----AdjD was 11th...Elite?

Do you feel the above had Elite defense---Or good?

Just curious.

Obviously it isn't good enough because he fails every year
Thats not what I asked...I asked do you think Top 30 is good? Quit being Joe Biden, and answer THE question I asked. I don't need an explanation as answer...

It is simple: Do you think Top 30 is good?

BTW, I get why you won't answer...

ADVERTISEMENT