ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Selection Sunday Thread***

UVA probably not going to be able to practice together before their first game. Oof.

UVA probably not going to be able to practice together before their first game. Oof.

And to make things worse, Ohio had rich history of pulling off upsets in March, while Virginia seems to be on the opposite side when it comes to tournament time.

Conference vs non conference

Look at their schedule.
Riiiiiight.....Their schedule. If you are good---you are good. That simple. Alabama is very athletic....very fast...long....great shooters...well balanced, and deep. They can put 4 guys on the floor shooting 39% of better from three...Spread you out. And to boot, they are very, very good defensively(AdjD #2).

But sure, they are overrated b/c of their schedule...

Let me guess, Houston is also overrated? So is Gonzaga?

You are stuck on the B12 , bro----And Texas.

We play really good defense and run

Wrong. It was a meaningless 11 am road game right in the middle of what was at the time a season making or breaking conference run. If Bama has intensity and shoots well, they’d beat anyone in the country. Still can beat most not shooting great.

Bama is a good team.

But having Texas with Jericho Sims is a bad matchup.

There is a reason why OU had success. Their big that looks like Avatar.

Kansas has the potential opportunity to play

Wichita State in the second round (repeat of the best two wins in shocker history...even though they have been to the final four)
VCU in sweet 16 (2011 shaka smart)
Oregon in sweet 16 (elite 8 2017 replay)
Iowa in the sweet 16 (something about a dick dome?)

All for the chance to play Gonzaga again.

Bama is a good team.

But having Texas with Jericho Sims is a bad matchup.

There is a reason why OU had success. Their big that looks like Avatar.
OU beat Bama on a night when two of Bama's best shooters went 3-16: Reece and Petty. Even then, Bama had an opportunity late to win. Texas split with OU----Winning by 4, and losing by 1....

But to you, Texas is a bad match-up for Bama...? Sims is a handful....But so is Petty, Jones(SEC POY), Shackelford and Reece....Not to mention Quinerly....Bama is tough to guard....And when the "3" isdropping, they are almost impossible to beat..

Texas is good. But they are not good enough to overlook a team like Alabama.

Thats a what-if scenario, which may or may not happen, you cant use predictions against facts. By your logic, a lot of schools have the COVID excuse as well. Its not the first time that the Florida Gators received higher seeds than they deserved though, its a routine and unsurprising to anyone who watched the selection show the past 10 years.

According to who? You? Name me a few years we were clearly overseeded and not arguably overseeded.

OU beat Bama on a night when two of Bama's best shooters went 3-16: Reece and Petty. Even then, Bama had an opportunity late to win. Texas split with OU----Winning by 4, and losing by 1....

But to you, Texas is a bad match-up for Bama...? Sims is a handful....But so is Petty, Jones(SEC POY), Shackelford and Reece....Not to mention Quinerly....Bama is tough to guard....And when the "3" isdropping, they are almost impossible to beat..

Texas is good. But they are not good enough to overlook a team like Alabama.

There is a reason they went 3-16...

Technically its UNC with 27. No tourney last year. We all know they were not getting a bid, so its Michigan State at 23.

FTR, Gonzaga is at 21.

Pretty sure UNC missed the tournament sometime in the last 15 years. I believe the year following one of their NCs.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Not really.

Bama's performance against OU says a lot.

Watch out for UCONN they were under seeded.

You’re basing a team being overrated off of one game? Bama has gotten better and better all year. That doesn’t mean they can’t lose their first game but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a final four run either.

Yep....Missed a ton of open looks. Especially Reece. Oh, wait.....wait. You are implying that OU's vaunted defense is why?

My, bad...

Extending the defense with the 5.

If you don't have a 5 who can play defense on the perimeter Bama will eat you up.

The reason OU and Clemson had success because they did...

Teams who shoot well have bad nights because of the defense
Simple as that.

Abilene Christian was screwed. They still could beat Texas if the players overlook them.

But they would matchup better with teams that have less talent.

They are a good team and will outwork you....
Most of us would have liked to see them play someone else.

Abilene Christian was screwed. They still could beat Texas if the players overlook them.

But they would matchup better with teams that have less talent.

They are a good team and will outwork you....
Most of us would have liked to see them play someone else.
ACU with the upset. I just have a feeling about that one.

Reactions: duckboy33
Extending the defense with the 5.

If you don't have a 5 who can play defense on the perimeter Bama will eat you up.

The reason OU and Clemson had success because they did...

Teams who shoot well have bad nights because of the defense
Simple as that.
Riiiiiiight...Never mind the other 3 dudes shooting 40%....I mean b/c of course if you have a 5, who can guard the top of the key, both wings, and both corners....At the same time...Because you know, no one reverses the ball, skips it over....drives, draws help(from the 5), then kicks it out...But hey OU and Clemson had a "5" who could defend all 5 perimeter spots....

JFC>...

Reactions: dukedevilz
Riiiiiiight...Never mind the other 3 dudes shooting 40%....I mean b/c of course if you have a 5, who can guard the top of the key, both wings, and both corners....At the same time...Because you know, no one reverses the ball, skips it over....drives, draws help(from the 5), then kicks it out...But hey OU and Clemson had a "5" who could defend all 5 perimeter spots....

JFC>...

Not going to continue to argue with you about this....

When you play a team like them you have to play the perimeter.

Teams that have players who can't will not play well against Alabama

I slept through the selection show. So what happens if a team gets covid and needs a replacement, but all the good replacements have already accepted an NIT invite? Do they just drop out of the NIT?

Not going to continue to argue with you about this....

When you play a team like them you have to play the perimeter.

Teams that have players who can't will not play well against Alabama
Dont get mad at me b/c you do not understand the principles of Alabama's offense. They like to get you in ball screens---dragging your 5/bigs out.....If there is a switch, which there is, then Bama's guards will drive on the bigs, looking to either beat them off the bounce, draw help and kick, or go to the bucket...Its exactly what they want you to do...Oats' offensive scheme is all about creating mismatches on the drive, to open up shooters, or get lay-ups. Its a very good offense. Its not just chucking abunch of wild, contested, hurried three's.

Against OU, Reece/Petty were 3-15....Rest of the team was 7-15. Many of their looks(Reece/Petty) were wide open. They simply missed them.

EweZSnBUYAEpYMQ

Dont get mad at me b/c you do not understand the principles of Alabama's offense. They like to get you in ball screens---dragging your 5/bigs out.....If there is a switch, which there is, then Bama's guards will drive on the bigs, looking to either beat them off the bounce, draw help and kick, or go to the bucket...Its exactly what they want you to do...Oats' offensive scheme is all about creating mismatches on the drive, to open up shooters, or get lay-ups. Its a very good offense. Its not just chucking abunch of wild, contested, hurried three's.

Against OU, Reece/Petty were 3-15....Rest of the team was 7-15. Many of their looks(Reece/Petty) were wide open. They simply missed them.

Once again....

There are 5's who can play the perimeter and there are ones who can't.

Do you understand switching...

Ball screens are worthless if you can switch your defenders

I slept through the selection show. So what happens if a team gets covid and needs a replacement, but all the good replacements have already accepted an NIT invite? Do they just drop out of the NIT?
4 replacement teams were named: UL, Colorado State, St. Louis and Ole Miss...Ranked 1-4. UL being first to go. So if UVA cannot go, UL would take their place..Also,

As for conferences with a multiple tournament teams, a replacement team will be selected from the group of at-large squads that were announced on Sunday. The potential replacement teams are ranked from one to four, and they are required to continue testing protocols.

If a team from a one-bid league withdraws, they will be replaced by a team from their same conference.

Deadline for teams to be replaced in Tuesday, 6pm. After that, if you cannot play, you forfeit.

Once again....

There are 5's who can play the perimeter and there are ones who can't.

Do you understand switching...

Ball screens are worthless if you can switch your defenders
Starting to realize you do not undestand basketball....I know there are 5's who can guard the perimeter...But most cannot defend the perimeter off the bounce....Which is where those worthless ball screens come in....Bama wants to get YOUR 5 on their guards, via the switch...They do so b/c they feel they can beat your bigs off the bounce---And they can; there is not a traditional 5 that can guard Qunierly, Petty or Shackelford off the dribble. Its what makes Oats offense, a 5-out, so effective. Unless you have a freak like AD, you are gonna have a difficult time with Bama. Last I checked, OU doesn't have an Anthony Davis type of defender. MOF, their 5 isn't that agile, mobile, etc, etc...

Again, Bama simply missed. Pretty simple...Many of the looks they get, roughly 75%, are open, created off mismatches, ball screens, with the dribble.

Pretty easy concept, really.

Starting to realize you do not undestand basketball....I know there are 5's who can guard the perimeter...But most cannot defend the perimeter off the bounce....Which is where those worthless ball screens come in....Bama wants to get YOUR 5 on their guards, via the switch...They do so b/c they feel they can beat your bigs off the bounce---And they can; there is not a traditional 5 that can guard Qunierly, Petty or Shackelford off the dribble. Its what makes Oats offense, a 5-out, so effective. Unless you have a freak like AD, you are gonna have a difficult time with Bama. Last I checked, OU doesn't have an Anthony Davis type of defender. MOF, their 5 isn't that agile, mobile, etc, etc...

Again, Bama simply missed. Pretty simple...Many of the looks they get, roughly 75%, are open, created off mismatches, ball screens, with the dribble.

Pretty easy concept, really.

I totally disagree.

You are speaking about talent...

So ultimately teams that have the players can have success against Alabama.

It is either you have the players who can ATTACK Alabama on the perimeter or you don't.

Have to attack them. Take the fight to them and blow up that shit

Why do people have Georgetown so high? Their resume is effectively similar to Georgia in 2008, and they were a 14th seed that year.

Only the record looks the same and that's because we didn't have 5 extra OOC cupcake games to pad our resume.

Kenpom: Georgetown '21 : 55; Best wins: @ #19 Creighton, N #12 Villanova. N #19 Creighton; Worst loses: H #158 Navy, @ #115 Butler, H #80 Marquette
Georgia '08: 91; Best wins: N #33 Mississippi St, N #40 Arkansas, H #40 Arkansas; Worst Loses: N #174 E Tennessee St, N #164 Tulane, @ #115 LSU
Georgetown has only lost to tournament teams since their covid pause: Nova, Creighton, and Uconn. Completely different team since then 10-4.

Georgia also had 4 sub 100 kenpom losses compared to Georgetown's 2.

Cowboys Illinois sweet 16!!!

Lol, so much for the lie that the Committee doesn’t look for drama. Illinois’ potential path:

- Loyola Chicago in Second Round (small instate school vs. the big state school)
- Oklahoma State in Sweet Sixteen (school Underwood left for us)
- West Virginia in Elite Eight (Underwood’s former fellow coach) OR Houston in Elite Eight (Illini bad blood with former IU coach Sampson)
- Baylor in Final Four (regular season rematch)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT