ADVERTISEMENT

*****OFFICIAL NCAA TOURNEY THREAD*****

Kevin Bryan

Apr 30, 2011
May as well discuss all the madness in one thread. Let's start off with a little tourney history. I am sure @jhmossy can appreciate this.

tourney.jpg

The two teams are so evenly matched that they still cant be separated after OT, good news for Alabama if it goes to 3OT or more since they will be well rested against an exhausted winner from this game.
Whoever wins will have a good shot against Bama, imo.

Its never easy to lose on the last shot, feel bad for Rutgers but they have themselves to blame that they couldnt secure a rebound at the very end. I actually thought it was going to 3OT, but oh well.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Its never easy to lose on the last shot, feel bad for Rutgers but they have themselves to blame that they couldnt secure a rebound at the very end. I actually thought it was going to 3OT, but oh well.
Didn't really want it to end although I had a decent amount of money on ND. Was definitely hoping for 3 OT. That was like a 12 round title fight just exchanging punches. Both teams had multiple opportunities to put it away but the other just came clawing back. Will be really, really tough to get a better game than that in this tourney.

The Rutgers/Notre Dame game was a delight to watch. After the first OT was complete, you could tell by his facial expressions that Mike Brey told his team something like, "This is fun, right!?!?"

I do think Rutgers had several boneheaded plays in crunch time, however.

End of Regulation
-Game is tied and Geo Baker has the ball with maybe 15 seconds left. He waits until 4 second (why so late!?) to initiate any offense. He doesn't call for a ball screen or anything. 4 other guys just sitting around doing nothing. Pretty obvious he was going to pull up for a jumper. Defender knew it. And he created no separation. Should almost never let the clock get under 6 seconds before making your first move - and even then, why no ball screen?

End of Overtime
-Rutgers was up 1 with about 25 seconds remaining. They're inbounding the ball from the baseline. Mulcahy threw a pass several feet too high for his teammate. Looked like a turnover the second it left his hand. If Rutgers secures the ball, this game could have been decided by simply making free throws.

2nd Overtime
-Rutgers was down by 1 and missed a shot with 50 seconds left. Shortly after Hubb collects the rebound, Mulcahy inexplicably fouls. If they stopped ND on the defensive end, instead of fouling, they could have had the ball down by 1 with the chance to win in the final seconds... Mulcahy must have thought there was less than 30 seconds left when Hubb secured the rebound.

-Final boneheaded play was perhaps the biggest one of all: Wesley was driving to the basket and Harper was guarding him closely. Harper forced him to take a difficult shot from a very poor angle... yet, Omoruyi leaves his man (Atkinson) and his feet - and leaves the offensive glass completely exposed. Horrible, awful decision by Omoruyi. I guess part of me gets it. He knows Wesley is a very capable driver and if he makes the basket, your season is over. But by going for the blocked shot, he conceded a very easy basket to Atkinson.

The Rutgers/Notre Dame game was a delight to watch. After the first OT was complete, you could tell by his facial expressions that Mike Brey told his team something like, "This is fun, right!?!?"

I do think Rutgers had several boneheaded plays in crunch time, however.

End of Regulation
-Game is tied and Geo Baker has the ball with maybe 15 seconds left. He waits until 4 second (why so late!?) to initiate any offense. He doesn't call for a ball screen or anything. 4 other guys just sitting around doing nothing. Pretty obvious he was going to pull up for a jumper. Defender knew it. And he created no separation. Should almost never let the clock get under 6 seconds before making your first move - and even then, why no ball screen?

End of Overtime
-Rutgers was up 1 with about 25 seconds remaining. They're inbounding the ball from the baseline. Mulcahy threw a pass several feet too high for his teammate. Looked like a turnover the second it left his hand. If Rutgers secures the ball, this game could have been decided by simply making free throws.

2nd Overtime
-Rutgers was down by 1 and missed a shot with 50 seconds left. Shortly after Hubb collects the rebound, Mulcahy inexplicably fouls. If they stopped ND on the defensive end, instead of fouling, they could have had the ball down by 1 with the chance to win in the final seconds... Mulcahy must have thought there was less than 30 seconds left when Hubb secured the rebound.

-Final boneheaded play was perhaps the biggest one of all: Wesley was driving to the basket and Harper was guarding him closely. Harper forced him to take a difficult shot from a very poor angle... yet, Omoruyi leaves his man (Atkinson) and his feet - and leaves the offensive glass completely exposed. Horrible, awful decision by Omoruyi. I guess part of me gets it. He knows Wesley is a very capable driver and if he makes the basket, your season is over. But by going for the blocked shot, he conceded a very easy basket to Atkinson.
I saw that look on Brey's face and thought the same thing. He was fired up after the game too. The announcers were saying he told his team during one of the timeouts just to have fun. ND definitely capitalized on the Rutgers mistakes. One thing that pissed me off, being that I had money on ND, was when they had the ball at the end of the first half with the shot clock off and Atkinson decides to initiate his drive to the bucket with like 12 seconds left. I understand wanting to leave a second or two for a tip-in opportunity if you miss, but that is leaving WAY too much time on the clock. Rutgers ended up getting a runout layup before the buzzer. Allowed them to extend what should have been a 3 point lead, max, to 5 at half. That is inexcusable and I see it happen pretty frequently. There is no way Rutgers should ever have a chance to score in that situation. It must drive coaches nuts.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I saw that look on Brey's face and thought the same thing. He was fired up after the game too. The announcers were saying he told his team during one of the timeouts just to have fun. ND definitely capitalized on the Rutgers mistakes. One thing that pissed me off, being that I had money on ND, was when they had the ball at the end of the first half with the shot clock off and Atkinson decides to initiate his drive to the bucket with like 12 seconds left. I understand wanting to leave a second or two for a tip-in opportunity if you miss, but that is leaving WAY too much time on the clock. Rutgers ended up getting a runout layup before the buzzer. Allowed them to extend what should have been a 3 point lead, max, to 5 at half. That is inexcusable and I see it happen pretty frequently. There is no way Rutgers should ever have a chance to score in that situation. It must drive coaches nuts.

Good call. Yes, that was a dumb way to end the half.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Alright, I decided to go with Colorado State.
I think I picked CSU in a bracket challenge, but ended up taking Michigan (-2) as part of a parlay. Was initially gonna take CSU and changed my mind. That is usually a losing recipe for me. 😆

What games are you guys planning to watch? Or are you guys a "switch back and forth" person? Think I'm going:

Mich-Colorado St. Switch to Memphis-Boise St. Then UNC-Marquette. Obviously watching UK-Saint Peters. Ending with Murray St-San Fran.

What games are you guys planning to watch? Or are you guys a "switch back and forth" person? Think I'm going:

Mich-Colorado St. Switch to Memphis-Boise St. Then UNC-Marquette. Obviously watching UK-Saint Peters. Ending with Murray St-San Fran.
It's a love/hate for me when so many games overlap. I think the best early games will be Mich-CSU and Prov-SDSU so I'll probably be go back and forth between those.

I treat NCAA tourney watching the way I treat women. Never spend all my time on one. Switch to the one that's the best at that moment.

The Colorado State/Michigan matchup is super intriguing. CSU often plays with 4 guards and a 6'5 Roddy in the lineup. They're the more skilled team, IMO. Just wonder if they can match Michigan's size.

Reactions: jhmossy
treat NCAA tourney watching the way I treat women. Never spend all my time on one. Switch to the one that's the best at that moment.

Are there that many high quality women in Arkansas? Or are you just going after co-eds half your age?

Hunter Dickinson should touch the ball every single possession. CSU can't handle him.

Fun game so far. CSU will probably cool off but Michigan has to do a better job on the defensive glass.

South Dakota State is a fun team to watch! The losing team might reach 100 points lol.

ADVERTISEMENT