***OFFICIAL*** Game of Thrones thread (Final Season)

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Rod Dangerfield

Rod Dangerfield Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bunch of damn crybabies.

I'm just sad that a great series that I've enjoyed immensely has ended.

2. ivan brunetti

ivan brunetti Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Olly was hung for treason (helping to assassinate Jon). Not for killing Ygritte.

[​IMG]

3. ivan brunetti

Expand Collapse

Similar to Greyworm going to Naath to be close to Missandie.

8th Man, RedR8der4Life and arockthief like this.
  4. SCKnight

SCKnight Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I am just sad the a great series that I enjoyed ended a season and half ago. Although I don't feel the need to call out people who enjoyed the ending. I am satisfied to discuss my issues,

5. SCKnight

Expand Collapse

Why did the wheel have to break? Could that not be the point that the wheel survives and turns once again despite the best efforts of all those who wanted it broken? That the nature of man would not allow the wheel to be broken?

6. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I was fine with the ending. Fantasy novels usually do have a bittersweet end.

When it was announced that GOT would be produced by HBO, I was skeptical they could do it justice. It was a huge world with dozens of main characters.
    To my surprise, they nailed it with the first few seasons. They gained fans of the genre and that is not a bad thing. George R R Martin is one of the best writers of fantasy, even he gets long winded in minutia of detail. Show fans would have bailed years ago if his books were followed closer. I think we should appreciate what HBO has done, It will probably never be done again on this scale.

I have criticisms of the show, but in retrospect, I really appreciate it being done in the first place.

PS; the WOT books were wrapped up in a hurry after Jordan's death. Sanderson may be contacted after the fat man dies (he will never finish the series)

7. SCKnight

Expand Collapse

This is part of it. The story was so massive and detailed and early on they were able to do it justice. I do think they underestimated the public's patience and rushed it to end, but that was likely done because there is no way they could really continue like they did with 1-4. They also got a bit carried away with the CGI in the later seasons which increased the costs.

Do you think the fat man is sitting back and saying "Hmm.. now that I see that ending I don't think I will end it that way"

8. TeganInBama

TeganInBama Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

agreed. sad and annoying thing is, you go back and watch some of this season episodes, and ok you don't want to do 10 seasons, but you go back watch and you see were a scene here or there was all they really needed to do..for instance, why not make Daario the leader of the GC or even with the Night King, how about you have Arya take Beric's face after he dies, than she kills NK. And don't have Jaime say he never really cared about the people of King's Landing..that ruined a really good scene.

so much wasted potential..

9. BSC911

BSC911 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

History has shown that a wheel based strictly on genetics is not the best system, and eventually the will of the people prevails. While not ready for a true democracy, this is the first step.

So to me, it’s a foreshowdowing of the Magna Carta.

8th Man likes this.
  10. tigity

tigity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Much like you just attempted to do here. Well done. I do not disagree however.

11. tigity

tigity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The guys the wrote the last couple of seasons of GOT are signed on to do the next iterations of the Star Wars saga etc.

12. TeganInBama

TeganInBama Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bran is Leto II. You could argue what we just witnessed was The Golden Path.

RedR8der4Life likes this.
  13. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think there was a lot of him still in the last season, He was always a procrastinator, He waits for the character to develop in his huge head before continuing with his books, We fans would like to make him a Varys twin sometimes. If he finishes, There will be more variation, Stannis could still be alive, Lady Stoneheart is in the book etc.. I still think it will still have a similar ending but more people die.

14. Deathroll

Deathroll Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

No I didn’t. I said they did.....and that’s the truth.

Would Disney have the guts to give us a character like Tyene Sand? I think not.
    [​IMG]

Rod Dangerfield likes this.
  15. ivan brunetti

Expand Collapse

The wheel didn't have to break, but wanting it broken was the good part of Dany.

One problem is that with six kingdoms, when Bran dies and it is time to select the next king/queen, I expect a 3-3 standoff.

Also, it is one thing to give Bronn land and a castle. But wtf would he be put in the small council? I get that they use him for comic relief, but that didn't make much sense.

8th Man likes this.
  16. Deathroll

Expand Collapse

Remember how much money High Garden had? Makes sense to me. The Tyrell fortune was enough to repay the Iron Bank of Bravos....IOW, a staggering sum.

17. ivan brunetti

Expand Collapse

Disney has produced these projects: Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Trainspotting, From Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City, Scream, Bad Santa & Deadpool.

[​IMG]

8th Man and arockthief like this.
  18. jackrabbit slim

jackrabbit slim Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

19. ivan brunetti

Expand Collapse

The debt to the Iron Bank of Bravos was Cersei's alone. They gambled and lost. No more Gold Cloaks to collect.

20. madcow12

madcow12 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

just saw this, seems to sum it up.

Burning questions
    Grey Worm and the Unsullied were fresh off an impulsive murderous rampage and they didn't immediately kill Jon after he murdered Daenerys? What, were they tired?

How did Tyrion find Jaime and Cersei in what should have been a whole catacombs' worth of rubble? That's just statistically improbable.

Is it still ashing? Or is it snowing, too?

RE: Dragon Pit meeting, who are all of those people?! Is that a dude from Dorne? Who's that sitting by Davos? Don't think we didn't notice that, in the final minutes of the final episode of a sprawling, multi-arc epic fantasy series, the show managed to put together a scene with several characters we've literally never seen before.

Why are Bran and Tyrion holding their small council meeting in what looks like the remains of the Red Keep? That area is structurally unsound! The Master of Building Codes will not be happy.

There are innumerable other burning questions we have that will never be answered, like [deep breath]:

Why did it matter that Jon was a Targaryen if he ended up back where he started, with no name or hope for a lineage? Why was there so much pregnancy foreshadowing last season? Why is it so important that Jon and the Wildlings are returning to the land beyond the wall? Is Bran just going to keep a third eye on Drogon, live cam-style, for the rest of his life?
    [gasp]

Why does Bran need a Master of Whispers if he knows everything? Why is Bran accepting recognition and titles related to his given name when he has repeatedly said he's "not Bran anymore?" The crown was deeply in debt to the Bank of Braavos, when and how are they going to collect that debt? Is it still winter in Kings Landing? Why didn't Dany get any last words? What happened to the Dothraki? What happened to the other Red Priestesses? What IS West of Westeros? Where is Hot Pie?!

RedR8der4Life and arockthief like this.
  21. Deathroll

Expand Collapse

The Kingdom had accumulated those debts along with the House of Lannister. The money from House Tyrell paid it all off.

Ergo High Garden must be rich as hell.

22. YellowlabOSU

YellowlabOSU Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

To answer the question about Jon's descendancy, the reason it was important was because it set Dany on the rampage. I think that was the key factor. I wish there was more to it, but it wasn't nothing.

23. littlerugger

littlerugger Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think there was a ton of stuff that there should have been more too, but they rushed this season and without the books, showed their lack of storytelling.

24. Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

25. madcow12

Expand Collapse

It is confusing that Jons heritage was just pretty much deleted. Sam was sitting there on the chair talking about free elections when he knew and could have spoke up for Jon and Jon was the rightful air. It would not have been a big deal if they had not made a big deal about it a couple episodes ago and even Sansa knew this..... so as soon as Jon killed Daenerys he should have been King. How can you pay the kind of money you do for writers to screw up something something so simple.

26. fsuguy83

fsuguy83 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think they also got caught up in the spectacle. They started using the largest budget in TV history just to set silly production records.

Most people on fire in a single scene. Longest battle. Most people on fire in a single scene again. 55 days of filimg, 600 crew, 300 extras, 60 stuntpeoples, etc. all for an episode no one could see.

27. JohnShadows

JohnShadows Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not much of a country fan, but damn Brad Paisley can play some guitar

WestTexasRaider and DeputyDodge like this.
  28. ivan brunetti

Expand Collapse

Everyone was tired of the constant war. Attempting to name Jon as King would have meant more war for multiple years. None of those present at the council wanted more war. It was perhaps the only thing everyone agreed upon.

8th Man likes this.
  29. Rod Dangerfield

Expand Collapse

Tyene Sand.........................gosh almighty.

30. fsuguy83

fsuguy83 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think you're poking at the right concept, but the wrong details.

Jon's heritage served its purpose to destroy Jon and Dany's romantic relationship further alienating Dany in Westeros. Jon never wanted the Throne. The writers at least firmly established that. Him killing her just setup someone less tyrannical to take the throne.

Bran the Broken becoming king could of been rewarding but there was no foundation poured for the viewer to be like, "awww, that does make sense.".

TeganInBama likes this.
  31. BirdThrower

BirdThrower Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That episode seemed like the sensible ending. Not great, not bad. Just sensible.

The only place I got confused by was how did they know jon stabbed her? He told them, I guess? I mean, he could've just said the dragon, for some reason, melted her in the throne and then ate her and flew away. You have the melted throne as proof.
    He could've been like "I dunno what happened. Man, that dragon just roasted her and took off. Probably shouldn't have been messing with dragons..........btw I'm actually king."

32. sgacock

sgacock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not really.

Why wasn't GENDRY's heritage important? Son of the last legitimate King who had not been overthrown.They were going to make a political decision, not a geneological one.

1472 sgacock, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  33. madcow12

Expand Collapse

and then flash forward a few months to the group of idiots sitting in a semi circle...so what happened in the months following Jon killing Dany... if the world is as cut throat at it was made out to be then some other strong house would have tried to take power. None of it made sense.

34. ivan brunetti

Expand Collapse

There could have been a stand off in the city. Dothraki looking to loot & rape (not for revenge but because that is all they know), Unsullied looking for justice, and enough Northern troops present to keep Greyworm from just killing Jon.

I think the Dothraki would have stolen any available ships and headed back East ASAP. They were not the type to linger at the wake of their leader.

UCFhonors and 8th Man like this.
  35. madcow12

Expand Collapse

there you go...you could have wrote the last episode better than the pro writers ;)

36. northernknowledge

northernknowledge Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This army of frozen zombies is marching toward you and it’s fireproof dark magic leader is atop a badass zombie ice dragon...... what do you do?

Say no more fam..... bout to warg into this bird.

1476 northernknowledge, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    UCFhonors and Lvste.Nole like this.
  37. Rod Dangerfield

Expand Collapse

Renly?! Why we going back to a season 2 pillow biter?!

38. tooslick4ya

tooslick4ya Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Jon killing Dany was anticlimactic, after episode 5 Dany was a goner. Why didn't Greyworm kill Jon for killing his queen?

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset likes this.
  39. sgacock

sgacock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Uhm, I meant Gendry. Good catch.

Rod Dangerfield likes this.
  40. buckymel

buckymel Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Because he no longer has a queen to give him orders.
    Or maybe because he has no balls.
    Daario Naharis would def. at least try to kill Jon.

8th Man and ivan brunetti like this.