ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Busting Brackets B1G preview has Illinois 4th and Indiana 5th.

Three Man Weave just released a B1G preview where Illinois is 4th and Indiana is 5th. They ranked Illinois 17th in the country and Indiana 20th, so a mere 3 spots apart.

So, Illinois is not unanimously selected as a top 3 team and Indiana is not unanimously selected 7th. Theyre selected roughly in the same spot as each other in the previews I've found.
I will take a charity bet that IU finishes below 5th

I mean, not that comparable. Indiana was 11th in the Big Ten last year, bad the year before and has a brand new coach. Illinois was materially better than Michigan in 2019-20, and they were both 1-seeds last year; Michigan edged out Illinois for the conference title and had a much better postseason, while Illinois handily won the only meeting, finished right behind Michigan in the standings and won the BTT. Both teams are going to be nearly unanimously picked in the top three of the conference this year, as well, while Indiana will be expected around 7th or so.

I’d never expect a Michigan fan to be jealous of Illinois’ position by any means, but they’ve pretty objectively been peers within the hierarchy of the conference lately and are set to be once again in 2021-22.

How can you say we’ve been on the same tier lately? Michigan has been to four straight Sweet 16s. Emoni Bates was a 1 year old the last time Illinois reached the Sweet 16.

That chart is maybe the worst segmentation I’ve seen. You don’t have to be an X-ray tech to see that.

Which is why I have more than just the chart. We’ve been a ~top 10 program over the past 10 year. Illinois hasn’t made the Sweet 16 since the Nokia 1110 was the top selling phone of the year.

No one is scared of Illinois either. You were good last year. You lost a ton and have no replacements.
Who did Illinois lose outside of Ayo?

Plummer>Miller, Payne>Giorgi
With Belo running the point there will be less watching Ayo.

Just a low quality post.

Speculative at best on your comparisons there, and Ayo was by far your most important player last year.
We did fine without him, regardless, who did we lose other than him? Speculative at best to say we lost a lot and have no replacements.

My point is that post made it seem like we have Iowa’s roster. We still have an all-American, 2 4 year starters, and one of the best PGs in CBB.

Last edited:
Speculative at best on your comparisons there, and Ayo was by far your most important player last year.
No he wasn’t, Kofi has been the most important player on our roster for the last 2 years.

And for people who watched Illinois every game last year it’s not difficult to speculate that Giorgi and Miller can be replaced rather easily.

Reactions: Jaycg15
We did fine without him, regardless, who did we lose other than him? Speculative at best to say we lost a lot and have no replacements.

My point is that post made it seem like we have Iowa’s roster. We still have an all-American, 2 4 year starters, and one of the best PGs in CBB.
3 games isn't exactly a great sample size. I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Illinois will be just as good without him.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Who did Illinois lose outside of Ayo?

Plummer>Miller, Payne>Giorgi
With Belo running the point there will be less watching Ayo.

Just a low quality post.
Lol at declaring Plummer and Payne better than Miller and the alphabet.

Last year you also had a very good backup PG. You don’t even have an average backup PG this year.

You already know Curbelo is of the best PGs in college basketball?

Lol at declaring Plummer and Payne better than Miller and the alphabet.

Last year you also had a very good backup PG. You don’t even have an average backup PG this year.
Tell me you know nothing about Illinois basketball without telling me you know nothing about Illinois basketball.

Miller was pretty bad at dribbling and scoring.

Giorgi couldn’t stay out of foul trouble.

Backup point guard this year will be a starter for 5 years. If you said we don’t have a 4 I would agree with you. But point guard ain’t it.

Tell me you know nothing about Illinois basketball without telling me you know nothing about Illinois basketball.

Backup point guard this year will be a starter for 5 years. If you said we don’t have a 4 I would agree with you. But point guard ain’t it.

You downplay everyone Illinois loses (even Ayo for f**ks sake) and talk up everyone they return or bring in.

Reactions: jwardelt

You don’t even have a backup PG. You can make crazy claims all you want about Miller and the alphabet, but Plummer and Payne are no upgrades.

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
You downplay every Illinois loses and talk up everyone they return or bring in.
Michigan lost Franz Wagner, Isaiah Livers, Mike Smith, and Chaundee Brown.

That’s 4 of your 7 main rotation players.

Yet somehow you have confidence your team will still be good

Michigan lost Franz Wagner, Isaiah Livers, Mike Smith, and Chaundee Brown.

That’s 4 of your 7 main rotation players.

Yet somehow you have confidence your team will still be good

If I was an Illinois fan I’d go on and talk about how much each of them actually sucked

I like the transfer point guards at both Michigan and Michigan State a little more than Andre Curbelo. He reminds me of Rocket Watts last year where his hype far exceeds his actual game right now.

Jordan Bohannon is sort of a one trick pony that doesn't play any defense. He is a terrific shooter and thats about it. Curbelo is much the same, only his trick is hes a nifty passer. He doesn't play defense and he can't shoot at all, but he is a terrific passer as a point guard.

If his shot comes along and he starts playing defense, then I could see including him in the premier point guard lists and I think that trajectory would see him as a very high draft pick since he is such a tremendous ball handler and passer. Until then, I feel its a bit premature.

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
I like the transfer point guards at both Michigan and Michigan State a little more than Andre Curbelo. He reminds me of Rocket Watts last year where his hype far exceeds his actual game right now.

Jordan Bohannon is sort of a one trick pony that doesn't play any defense. He is a terrific shooter and thats about it. Curbelo is much the same, only his trick is hes a nifty passer. He doesn't play defense and he can't shoot at all, but he is a terrific passer as a point guard.

If his shot comes along and he starts playing defense, then I could see including him in the premier point guard lists and I think that trajectory would see him as a very high draft pick since he is such a tremendous ball handler and passer. Until then, I feel its a bit premature.
Oh boy, I am done talking about belo. Comparisons to Jordan Bo and Rocket Watts. I am done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT