ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re on the Hoosier rivals site saying Crean is a better recruiter, developer of talent, and had close to the same accomplishments at IU that Painter has had at Purdue.

your words, not mine.
Yes, those are all true. I did not say he was a better coach however. Crean was absolutely terrible coaching in game.

If you you are going to stalk opponents home boards for info to bring back here, at least get it correct.

He's not exactly wrong, but Crean's also a garbage game coach and awful to deal with.
Eh I’d take issue with that statement. Any coach can land big fish at IU. Roster construction is a huge aspect of recruiting though. Painter’s has that advantage over the last couple of IU coaches.

He's a better recruiter in the terms of getting a guy that's more highly-rated. He's not better in terms of identifying guys, developing, coaching in-game or pre-game. You take Painter out of Purdue, and he's probably better at every facet.

tenor.gif

Reactions: VulvHa and Jaycg15
He's a better recruiter in the terms of getting a guy that's more highly-rated. He's not better in terms of identifying guys, developing, coaching in-game or pre-game. You take Painter out of Purdue, and he's probably better at every facet.
That may be true, but we’ve never seen Painter outside of Purdue. Crean has at the very least recruited and developed guys into high draft picks everywhere he’s been. He’s an awful in game coach though.

Yes, those are all true. I did not say he was a better coach however. Crean was absolutely terrible coaching in game.

If you you are going to stalk opponents home boards for info to bring back here, at least get it correct.
Only went over there to see what @boiler1987 was referring to. I don’t even read Purdue’s freeboard, they’re both garbage.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Eh I’d take issue with that statement. Any coach can land big fish at IU. Roster construction is a huge aspect of recruiting though. Painter’s has that advantage over the last couple of IU coaches.
Purdue has never had a team as good or as well constructed as the 2012-13 IU team. It’s almost criminal how poorly Crean uses them, and they were still a 1 seed.

He's out more players in the NBA I'd say. But as far as an all around coach no he's not even close. But I do think he develops guys well and can recruited highly rated players better, he even did it at Georgia.

He's out more players in the NBA I'd say. But as far as an all around coach no he's not even close. But I do think he develops guys well and can recruited highly rated players better, he even did it at Georgia.
And Marquette before IU. Is it easier to recruit to conference USA Marquette and Georgia than Purdue? I wouldn’t think so.

Purdue has never had a team as good or as well constructed as the 2012-13 IU team. It’s almost criminal how poorly Crean uses them, and they were still a 1 seed.

Never? Idk if I’d go that far. I’d stack the Hummel team up against yours and I think you could make an argument for it. They would’ve had a 1 seed if Hummel hadn’t gotten hurt.

Reactions: VulvHa
Never? Idk if I’d go that far. I’d stack the Hummel team up against yours and I think you could make an argument for it. They would’ve had a 1 seed if Hummel hadn’t gotten hurt.

That Indiana team won the most loaded Big Ten I’ve seen outright and swept our national championship runner up team.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
They only lost 1 conference game after his injury and it was to #14 MSU.

The point is that the IU team was so talented and a great fit that they won the Big Ten outright and got a 1 seed even with Crean as the coach. If Painter had been coaching that IU team, they lose 2 or 3 games max.

The point is that the IU team was so talented and a great fit that they won the Big Ten outright and got a 1 seed even with Crean as the coach. If Painter had been coaching that IU team, they lose 2 or 3 games max.

Fair.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10

Feel like that was a Painter style team. If only Knight would have offered him.

They aren’t playoff good.

Which isn’t a bad thing, they still need to get a couple more good young guys thru the draft.
I mean you’re probably right, but Stewart and Bey were great for us last year, perfectly fill the 3 and D wing and modern big role. And Cade is exactly what we lacked offensively last year. We have guys who can hit shots and finish plays, but no one who made them. I’m really happy we got him, I think he could make us pretty good going forward.

But I don’t actually think we’ll be in the playoffs next year, barring some free agent moves.

I mean you’re probably right, but Stewart and Bey were great for us last year, perfectly fill the 3 and D wing and modern big role. And Cade is exactly what we lacked offensively last year. We have guys who can hit shots and finish plays, but no one who made them. I’m really happy we got him, I think he could make us pretty good going forward.

But I don’t actually think we’ll be in the playoffs next year, barring some free agent moves.
Probably for the better anyways to not make the playoffs, as they aren’t beating the top teams in the East. Higher draft pick next year will be worth it. Find another 3 and D wing or an elite big for Cunningham to feed.

As far as your young guys go, I really like Saddiq Bey. He can play the 3 or 4, versatile defender that can also shoot from 3. Hayes and Stewart I’m not ready to anoint just yet. Plenty of players put up numbers on shitty teams, whether or not they can do it on a team that can win remains to be seen. Hayes needs to improve as a shooter and Stewart needs to show he can handle the most physical guys in the league on a nightly basis.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Putting more players in the NBA isn't relevant to recruiting players to win in college. Watching the draft last night was glaring proof that NBA players are drafted on traits. Painter wasn't hired to send high-potential guys to the NBA that underperform in college. He gets dudes, develops them, and then wins. That's why he has a job, and Archie and Crean no longer work at Indiana. He's a better coach.

Probably for the better anyways to not make the playoffs, as they aren’t beating the top teams in the East. Higher draft pick next year will be worth it. Find another 3 and D wing or an elite big for Cunningham to feed.

As far as your young guys go, I really like Saddiq Bey. He can play the 3 or 4, versatile defender that can also shoot from 3. Hayes and Stewart I’m not ready to anoint just yet. Plenty of players put up numbers on shitty teams, whether or not they can do it on a team that can win remains to be seen. Hayes needs to improve as a shooter and Stewart needs to show he can handle the most physical guys in the league on a nightly basis.
Yeah Stewart and Hayes do need to prove they have the consistency to do it when it matters, but I’m really high on Stewart. When he started getting serious minutes to end the year he was a 15/10/2 guy. Just does all the things you want out of a center in today’s game.

Putting more players in the NBA isn't relevant to recruiting players to win in college. Watching the draft last night was glaring proof that NBA players are drafted on traits. Painter wasn't hired to send high-potential guys to the NBA that underperform in college. He gets dudes, develops them, and then wins. That's why he has a job, and Archie and Crean no longer work at Indiana. He's a better coach.
I said he was a better coach, but not a recruiter as far highly rated guys. You can argue all you want about underrated players and painter does a good job at identifying that but he hasn't recruited the top guys very well. Crean did. He just couldn't coach.

I said he was a better coach, but not a recruiter as far highly rated guys. You can argue all you want about underrated players and painter does a good job at identifying that but he hasn't recruited the top guys very well. Crean did. He just couldn't coach.
If Crean identified talent and recruited it as well as Painter, he'd still be there. The dude couldn't assemble a team to save Woodson's ass.

Reactions: boilerzz and VulvHa
Do you think there is a correlation between the talent Purdue gets and their seemingly lack of tournament success the last 41 years? Painter is no doubt a great in game coach and even a really good developer of talent. I think recruiting leaves a lot to be desired, but there are environmental limitations. He has shown with strong recruiters (Cuanzo and Shrewsberry), he can land better talent than he usually has done throughout his career.

I do think he focuses a bit to much on Xs and Os when picking an assistant, and not enough on getting an assistant that is going to knock it out of the park in recruiting.

Painter would probably have a championship by now if he were at a school that recruits itself.

If Crean identified talent and recruited it as well as Painter, he'd still be there. The dude couldn't assemble a team to save Woodson's ass.
The 2012, 2013, and 2016 teams were all really talented and well assembled. The 2017 team was actually really good as well. That was Crean’s worst coaching job and the reason he was fired.

Any coach at IU is going to get fired if they aren’t making deep tournament runs even semi consistently.

He couldn't coach and he worn his welcome out. To say he couldn't recruit talent is incorrect.

They are a wild card. Is Cade on the Ja Morant level? I know different styles but is he bottom line as good or close to it? You gotta stay healthy. The Wiz probably open up a spot but the other 7 look pretty solid. Can you leap the Pacers?

Odd to not see Reed anywhere

Sounding like Duke, UNC, GT may be joining the Big Ten
Where are you seeing that?

Edit: also, I know the whole AAU thing is important, but from a football perspective we need Clemson if it’s the ACC that we raid. I was hoping for the six PAC12 teams to be honest.

Don’t shoot the messenger. I’ll believe it when I see it. But sounds convincing.

and it’s never a bad idea to prep yourself for Phil and unc fan in ky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT