ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was @NC_Trojan10 defending Purdue earlier?

tenor.gif

Surprised to hear it’s even possible Hutcherson doesn’t start. I was told he was a future NBA player and better than Ayo.
I think he will end the year as a top 3 player on our team. It will probably be an uneven performance by him in the noncon because he’s been out for so long, but I expect big things from him this year.

Passing on Williams is a tough scene for you guys
Probably one of the worst recruit decisions ever. But in fairness, the guy was absolutely obese when you landed him. He was coming off an injury and got fat. I don’t know if he ends up as good at MSU, I think Purdue was the perfect landing spot for him. Bingham also never turned into the perimeter presence we thought he could be. Just couldn’t keep up in college. I’d like to see him start shooting more, but he just seems to have stagnated on the outside. Couldn’t handle it at that weight against P5 competition.

Tillman was similar to him coming out of highschool purely play style wise and we moved him into the perfect kind of big for us. Crazy how much players game can change by going to different programs with different needs.

Having a really good backup center is really important and Purdue has probably the best backup center in college basketball.
Having a serviceable backup center is all that’s needed. If I have one that can play defense and rebound, I’m happy.

Hardly anyone has a stud center and a really good backup center. Baylor didn’t. Gonzaga didn’t. USC is the only other team in the KenPom top 25 with two above average center, and that’s because their starting PF was their backup center. Your statement is effectively false; it’s a luxury.

Last edited:
Having a serviceable backup center is all that’s needed. If I have one that can play defense and rebound, I’m happy.

Hardly anyone has a stud center and a really good backup center. Baylor didn’t. Gonzaga didn’t. USC is the only other team in the KenPom top 25 with two above average center, and that’s because their starting PF was their backup center. Your statement is effectively false; it’s a luxury.
Agree to disagree. It's not a luxury. It's a weapon.

I just had a conversation with a Michigan fan that told me Jaxon Kohler, who is ranked 67th on composite and has an offer from Kansas, is just a slower version of their 3 star recruit Will Tschetter.

Agree to disagree. It's not a luxury. It's a weapon.
No one is arguing that it’s not a weapon.

Hail is acting as if it’s requisite by saying it’s really important. It’s inarguably not important to be a good team, as reality has proven.

Last edited:

What is your definition of above average?

Hail is acting as if it’s requisite by saying it’s really important. It’s inarguably not important to be a good team, as reality has proven.
This was never about team success. The argument was whether Illinois or Purdue has better play from the 5 position during a game. It’s unquestionably Purdue unless you think Cockburn is going to suddenly be getting 35-40 mpg.

Reactions: boiler1987

I think it's importance lies primarily in defense against foul trouble for most (unless it's a weapon like Edey). Illinois has been fortunate that Kofi has largely avoided foul trouble so far. It will be interesting to see if that continues.

I think it's importance lies primarily in defense against foul trouble for most (unless it's a weapon like Edey). Illinois has been fortunate that Kofi has largely avoided foul trouble so far. It will be interesting to see if that continues.
Omar Payne can play defense extremely well, so if that's the worry, I'm not worried.

This was never about team success. The argument was whether Illinois or Purdue has better play from the 5 position during a game. It’s unquestionably Purdue unless you think Cockburn is going to suddenly be getting 35-40 mpg.
Look at what Hail wrote, and get back to me.

Having a really good backup center is really important and Purdue has probably the best backup center in college basketball.

Insulates us against foul trouble, and opposing bigs have to be really cognizant of staying out of foul trouble.

That's in addition to the fact that it gives us the ability to go with the hot hand if one is struggling. We might not beat IU or Wisconsin if we didn't have Edey who could come off the bench and go for 20...as a relatively undeveloped freshman.

He did commute to the Gophers actually, for an official visit.

Class is far from done.
And then committed to Virginia. How is the class far from done? You have one more guy left uncommitted, and he will probably choose elsewhere as well. Congrats on the A+ class though.

I didn't read through the weekend stuff since I assume it was just standard shitposting, so apologies if I missed this...

...but has this really weird play been discussed? MSU guys - did you notice this live and was there any reason why this was done that you can't see from this angle? It looks WILDLY stupid.

Reactions: MGC_07
I didn't read through the weekend stuff since I assume it was just standard shitposting, so apologies if I missed this...

...but has this really weird play been discussed? MSU guys - did you notice this live and was there any reason why this was done that you can't see from this angle? It looks WILDLY stupid.

I *think* the defender was assuming the receiver was going to use that blocker and try to get to the edge. Since his responsibility is containing the perimeter and pushing back to middle, he was *i believe* trying to force a cutback. Very poor play either way, but that’s the only thing that makes somewhat sense to me.

"Having a really good backup center is really important and Purdue has probably the best backup center in college basketball."

It was a Freudian slip because I was using really important later in the sentence. Hardly any team in the country has a really good backup center. That's the point we are making regarding Purdue's C position. They can go 40 minutes with someone really good in while teams like 2020/21 Michigan and 2021/22 Illinois have to play Austin Davis and Omar Payne for 10-15 minutes a game.

Having a good/playable backup center is important.
Having a stud backup center is a weapon.

Reactions: Jaycg15

"Having a really good backup center is really important and Purdue has probably the best backup center in college basketball."

It was a Freudian slip because I was using really important later in the sentence. Hardly any team in the country has a really good backup center. That's the point we are making regarding Purdue's C position. They can go 40 minutes with someone really good in while teams like 2020/21 Michigan and 2021/22 Illinois have to play Austin Davis and Omar Payne for 10-15 minutes a game.

Having a good/playable backup center is important.
Having a stud backup center is a weapon.
Payne will be better than Austin Davis.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Looks like James Blackmon playing football.

Weird thing to focus on with the point I was making about Edey. Neither are that good. Payne couldn't even beat out Colin Castleton for minutes last year. Edey is better than both.
Omar Payne will be one of best defensive bigs in the conference and we will only need him on the court for 10 to 15 minutes a game.

And we will have the best big in the country playing the other 25 to 30 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Omar Payne will be one of best defensive bigs in the conference and we will only need him on the court for 10 to 15 minutes a game.

And we will have the best big in the country playing the other 25 to 30 minutes.
Timme has as much claim to the best big in the country as Kofi does.

And one of the worst offensive bigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT