ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
His antics are a bit over the top during the game. He about spits his dentures out when he gets angry.
He’s a high school coach with a high school coach mantra. It is what it is, IU is never going to be relevant in cfb. If they ever have good years, those coaches just jump to better programs.

That being said, their oline is inexcusably bad for a P5 program and it contributes heavily to their offense not being fun to watch. I don’t really care if we’re bad, but I’d at least like to be fun bad instead of “offense is pissing down it’s leg and the defense can’t make a tackle” bad. Kevin Wilson was a dickhead but at least losing games 45-38 every week was somewhat fun.

When you don’t win conference this year, will it be that those expectations were unrealistic or that you were underwhelming?

Wanna make sure we got this on record.
When IU doesn't win the conference are you going to say they underachieved?

For me, I'll say they underachieved if they finish outside the top 4.

I'm on record for thinking IU finishes between 2nd and 4th. I'm impressed by what Woody has done defensively but I'm not yet convinced he addressed the outside shooting woes, particularly if TJD and Race are going to be on the floor together.

That said, I also can't emphatically say who I think finishes in front of them. I think it will be at least one of (and maybe up to 3 of) Michigan, Illinois, MSU, OSU or Purdue. This is as wide open as the B1G has been in a long time because there don't appear to be any great teams on paper.

Yes, to all of you Indiana fans except Cubs.

It’ll be tongue in cheek as I make fun of the “experts” and you guys for believing them.

• Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan

artworks-000146560862-iafmg1-t500x500.jpg

I'm on record for thinking IU finishes between 2nd and 4th. I'm impressed by what Woody has done defensively but I'm not yet convinced he addressed the outside shooting woes, particularly if TJD and Race are going to be on the floor together.

That said, I also can't emphatically say who I think finishes in front of them. I think it will be at least one of (and maybe up to 3 of) Michigan, Illinois, MSU, OSU or Purdue. This is as wide open as the B1G has been in a long time because there don't appear to be any great teams on paper.

Yes even with a heavy favorite the field is usually a better bet anyways. Give me the field all day against any single team this year.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yes, to all of you Indiana fans except Cubs.

It’ll be tongue in cheek as I make fun of the “experts” and you guys for believing them.
I've been pretty open about IU finishing 3rd behind Michigan and Illinois.

Not sure why this is such a surprise. tbh----IU returns 90% of their offense, rebounding, etc, etc,,,
Top 10'ish class, highlighted by 5*'s Reneau/Hood=Schifino..
Won 21 games----NCAAT team....

Look at things in context, if ya really want to discuss how good IU could, be...

1. 9-11 in big 10, but.......6 of those loses were by 5 points or less. IUjust could not close games.

2.. Tbh, IU got jobbed a bit with their seed----they were ranked higher overall than VaTech, bur due to some supposed scheduling issues, IU was bumped to the PLay in game. Tough sledding , and simply ran out of gas vs SMC.

I know no one wants to entertain the reasons why IU is a favorite....Or look at the circumstances leading to IU's 29 point loss. Even though if this were Purdue, you'd do the same...

Time will tell.....IU improves from 3, and they'll really be difficult to beat.
Who do you think is most likely to improve from 3 on the roster?

He’s a high school coach with a high school coach mantra. It is what it is, IU is never going to be relevant in cfb. If they ever have good years, those coaches just jump to better programs.

That being said, their oline is inexcusably bad for a P5 program and it contributes heavily to their offense not being fun to watch. I don’t really care if we’re bad, but I’d at least like to be fun bad instead of “offense is pissing down it’s leg and the defense can’t make a tackle” bad. Kevin Wilson was a dickhead but at least losing games 45-38 every week was somewhat fun.
What’s his mantra? Don’t tell me it’s something idiotic like Row the Boat.

Not sure why this is such a surprise. tbh----IU returns 90% of their offense, rebounding, etc, etc,,,
Top 10'ish class, highlighted by 5*'s Reneau/Hood=Schifino..
Won 21 games----NCAAT team....

Look at things in context, if ya really want to discuss how good IU could, be...

1. 9-11 in big 10, but.......6 of those loses were by 5 points or less. IUjust could not close games.

2.. Tbh, IU got jobbed a bit with their seed----they were ranked higher overall than VaTech, bur due to some supposed scheduling issues, IU was bumped to the PLay in game. Tough sledding , and simply ran out of gas vs SMC.

I know no one wants to entertain the reasons why IU is a favorite....Or look at the circumstances leading to IU's 29 point loss. Even though if this were Purdue, you'd do the same...

Time will tell.....IU improves from 3, and they'll really be difficult to beat.
They won 4/10 games decided by less than 5 points. To me, that’s just a team that mucks up a game with good defense and is limited on offense; the game turns into a coin flip which is by design.

Who do you think is most likely to improve from 3 on the roster?
My hope would be Bates...I mean Johnson did shoot 39%---Kopp 36%; although it seemed as if Kopp shot 20%. He seemingly missed every single wide open look. Or at least it felt that way.

Note: I look for CJ to get some minutes. Kid can shoot.

They won 4/10 games decided by less than 5 points. To me, that’s just a team that mucks up a game with good defense and is limited on offense; the game turns into a coin flip which is by design.
Like I said, they struggled to finish....Blew some big leads----especially at Wisconsin. It is what it is. Seasn will be here soon enough, and then, well, we'll see.

My hope would be Bates...I mean Johnson did shoot 39%---Kopp 36%; although it seemed as if Kopp shot 20%. He seemingly missed every single wide open look. Or at least it felt that way.

Note: I look for CJ to get some minutes. Kid can shoot.
Who is CJ?

Very good post. I agree---anything outside the Top 4 would be a disappointment. BUT, the league is wide open; although i think the 3 best teams right now, on paper, are Michigan, Illinois and IU.

Outside shooting is a concern----sort of. Again Johnson shot 39%----Kopp 36%. Thats decent to solid. Gunn is a very good shooter. And b/c of that, I look for him to get some decent run. I look for Bates to improve---especially if he gets run with some of the starters. I felt last year he was put in a tough spot, playing with mostly second team dudes, and being heavily relied on to score. Another possibility is Geronimo. Good looking shot, tbh.

Defensively, no concerns....and I think a spot where we'll be more efficient is having guys who can slash, with good mid-range games; Reneau/Hood-Schifino. That could absorb the lack of perimeter shoting.

Tier 1
Illinois Michigan

Tier 2
Indiana Wisconsin Purdue Iowa

Tier 3
Michigan St Ohio St Rutgers

Tier 4
Maryland Penn St

Tier 5
Minnesota Northwestern Nebraska

• Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan
Jeez not sure about us being a tier above those teams. Lots of question marks.
Guard play is really the only question mark, imo.

Dickinson is the best player in the conference, and Reed will be a stud in the back up role.

Jett and Williams on the wing are gonna be tough matchups for most teams

Tier 1
Illinois Michigan

Tier 2
Indiana Wisconsin Purdue Iowa

Tier 3
Michigan St Ohio St Rutgers

Tier 4
Maryland Penn St

Tier 5
Minnesota Northwestern Nebraska
season can't get here quick enough....

Pharrel Payne getting a lot of good reviews from the media guys who were at the last practice. I would think that he gets the start at center with Dawson Garcia at the 4 and Battle moving to the wing.

A lot of red flags around this kid. Crazy family. From the time this kid was in middle school here in the Lafayette area, he has been in and out of 9 different schools Bizarre situation.

Painter knew the risks taking this kids commitment. Did it as a favor to his dad if we’re being honest. When they came back to Purdue and asked if Purdue would continue to recruit him if he went looking for other schools, painter told the family to pound sand. Congrats to Illinois but being around this family for years and I just don’t see how this kid is going to be successful at the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT