ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deflect deflect deflect. It's ok to admit you and others may have overreacted to some semblance of success but your stubbornness to admit it only validates the insecurity of the Illinois fanbase.
I’m not deflecting. I’ve stated my stance. Illinois is better than Indiana (likely will be again) and has been the best team in the league over the past 3 years. How much more direct does one need to be?

No but again that doesn't mitigate the fact that Illinois fans have been pumping their chest over very little. When you have to start putting caveats like conference win%, disregard tournament results, the past 3 years, etc. Illinois has been better than their putrid results since Bruce Weber inherited Bill Selfs program but that's about it. They may even have something better on the horizon but the chest pumping has become a bit much.
But other than the one guy who does it to troll, we aren’t really chest pumping … when random IU fans talk shlt about our allegedly mediocre program whose recent results you can’t even hold a candle to, we point it out and defend ourselves … that’s literally it.

We aren’t actually out here talking about how great we are out of nowhere. We have been a very good and consistent program for three (going on four) years, and we have not found the success we would have hoped for in the NCAAs. No Illini fan or unbiased observer would really say otherwise, either. Is what it is.

We obviously hope to make a deep Tournament run soon, lol. And the best way to do that is to keep getting back there with a decent seed and roll the dice. Based on our regular season success and good recruiting, I think we will continue to get seeds 6-7 or better most years. We’ve all been fans for a long time, and eventually those teams will break through. I’ll patiently and hopefully wait for it to be us, and until we do … yeah, we shouldn’t be too cocky or anything. I’d never argue otherwise. But, as you CONSTANTLY spam, that doesn’t make everything else “mediocre,” lol.

The health of a program is complex, and I’ll take 1-4 seeds and conference titles and top 10-20 recruiting classes on the hope that we won’t “choke” in March seven days a week. I’m sure you would, too. If IU gets a 3-seed and has a great regular season but loses to a 6-seed in the Second Round, I’m not gonna just assume Woodson is a bad coach or IU won’t have a better NCAA result soon, lol. That would just be dumb.

* Incoming Trojan “😂” reaction because his pussy-ass can’t post! *

I’m not deflecting. I’ve stated my stance. Illinois is better than Indiana (likely will be again) and has been the best team in the league over the past 3 years. How much more direct does one need to be?
I thought you were smarter than that, and you may be, but it turns out you're just insecure.

Reading up on the current discussion made me curious. When was the last time Illinois was the best team in the conference? I don't think they were last year, I'd say Purdue was. Two years ago, I'd go with Michigan as the best team in the conference. Three years ago I'd go with Michigan State. I think you probably have to go back to whatever year they were in the championship game against North Carolina to find a year where Illinois was actually the best team.

Reading up on the current discussion made me curious. When was the last time Illinois was the best team in the conference? I don't think they were last year, I'd say Purdue was. Two years ago, I'd go with Michigan as the best team in the conference. Three years ago I'd go with Michigan State. I think you probably have to go back to whatever year they were in the championship game against North Carolina to find a year where Illinois was actually the best team.
I mean, that’s very subjective. Illinois won the Big Ten last year, so I am assuming you think Purdue was better because they beat Illinois twice. On the same note, Michigan won the Big Ten in 2021 (somewhat controversially), but Illinois won the BTT and demolished them in Ann Arbor without Ayo. You could easily make an argument Illinois was the “best” in either of those years or argue for a different team … because it will come down to your subjective bias.

The last year there was literally no doubt Illinois was the best team in the Big Ten? I mean, yeah - 2005. However, (A) it’s not that often that there is a VERY clear best team in the conference like that - maybe 5-6 times since then? - and (B) this just illustrates what we already know and is kind of irrelevant to the current landscape … Weber and Groce were bad at running programs. Illinois’ struggles from 2010-2019 are as irrelevant as its extreme success from 1998-2006. Doesn’t really matter anymore.

I mean, that’s very subjective. Illinois won the Big Ten last year, so I am assuming you think Purdue was better because they beat Illinois twice. On the same note, Michigan won the Big Ten in 2021 (somewhat controversially), but Illinois won the BTT and demolished them in Ann Arbor without Ayo. You could easily make an argument Illinois was the “best” in either of those years or argue for a different team … because it will come down to your subjective bias.

The last year there was literally no doubt Illinois was the best team in the Big Ten? I mean, yeah - 2005. However, it’s (A) not that often that there is a VERY clear best team in the conference like that - maybe 5-6 times since then? - and (B) this just illustrates what we already know and is kind of irrelevant to the current landscape … Weber and Groce were bad at running programs. Illinois’ struggles from 2010-2019 is as irrelevant as its extreme success from 1998-2006. Doesn’t really matter anymore.

Well, it's really just a testament to how consistently good Illinois has been recently that I personally have never really considered them the best team in the conference yet they've won the most games over the past 3 years or whatever the stat is someone gave here.

Appreciate the insight. I’ve seen some comments questioning his athleticism but it sounds like you’re not too concerned about it?
I mean he'snot gonna blow you away----no. But he'snot chump chamge either. I had a game of his early this year vs Clarksville....He caught a pass off a cut(elbow), spun, and threw down a ridiculous, nasty dunk...And not a squeaker---Young man was well above the rim. I've worked about 5-6 ofhis games. His transformation from his freshman year to sophomore was, well, impressive. A lot quicker, stronger...He'll be just fine. IMO Bolier, his ceiling is much higher than those he's been compared to, i.e. Sasha, Cline and Mathias.. SOme IU fans will brush this off....I hate it. But TBH, I don'tthink he would have been as good at Indiana, as he will be at Purdue. And thats simply a system thing. He will thrive in Painters system...Kid is built for it, and I think that is why Painter offered so quickly.

I don’t think anyone under 40 calls IU a blue blood. And if they do, it’s mockingly.
I don't think anyone has ever called Illinois a blue blood....LIke, ya know, ever. So if ya wanna go this route, we can. Its a meaningless title. People get worked up over it. I couldn't give two shits. It doesn't help no, next year or the year after. BUt if ya wanna put a time stamp on it, go right ahead...Still doesn't erase the fact that historically, Indiana is considered one of the best programs of all time. Sorry that bothers you....Win a title, or two---or 5, and maybe this discussion would make more sense to you..

I don't think anyone has ever called Illinois a blue blood....LIke, ya know, ever. So if ya wanna go this route, we can. Its a meaningless title. People get worked up over it. I couldn't give two shits. It doesn't help no, next year or the year after. BUt if ya wanna put a time stamp on it, go right ahead...Still doesn't erase the fact that historically, Indiana is considered one of the best programs of all time. Sorry that bothers you....Win a title, or two---or 5, and maybe this discussion would make more sense to you..
Illinois football has 5 national titles. Blue Blood.

Illinois football has 5 national titles. Blue Blood.
giphy.gif

No chance you arebeing serious here...... 🤣 ....So you "claim" some titles back in 1904 and shit, and suddenly, you have 5 titles? Bro.....C'mon, man...Illinois is .500 all-time in football...losing bowl record(8-11)..

JFC---Talk about a reach...

giphy.gif

No chance you arebeing serious here...... 🤣 ....So you "claim" some titles back in 1904 and shit, and suddenly, you have 5 titles? Bro.....C'mon, man...Illinois is .500 all-time in football...losing bowl record(8-11)..

JFC---Talk about a reach...

Seems legit…IU “claims” titles that date back to eight teams tourneys. I’m gonna have to accept UI blue blood claim. 😂

Completely unbiased take on my part. 😉

Seems legit…IU “claims” titles that date back to eight teams tourneys. I’m gonna have to accept UI blue blood claim. 😂

Completely unbiased take on my part. 😉
Difference between "claiming",and actually winning..... 😎 😁

GREAT response, lol. God, at least Borden seems like someone you could get a beer with, making his shlttalking the least bit endearing.
I'd be a great dude to have a beer with, brother----Love talking hoops. Sometimes on here, I'm serious---sometimes I post shit just to get a reaction. Its all fun. Looking forward to a very good season.

Hope you’re doing well - my Dad had the same procedure done as you had recently and did the trick for him. Best wishes.
I hope so, brother. So far, so good. I've had a few "episodes", but was told that should be expected. They actually couldn't get my heart to go into SVT, but still did the ablation in an area where 95% of SVT's occur; small pathway ablation, AVNRT.

How long before your dad was moving well? I am still very, very sore.

And doing good-----Thank you.

I hope so, brother. So far, so good. I've had a few "episodes", but was told that should be expected. They actually couldn't get my heart to go into SVT, but still did the ablation in an area where 95% of SVT's occur; small pathway ablation, AVNRT.

How long before your dad was moving well? I am still very, very sore.

And doing good-----Thank you.
Too many years ago to remember other than he no longer had heart issues related to that problem again. He had his valves replaced but that was due to damage from rheumatic fever when he was a young man. Recovered well from that as well. Died from unrelated cause many years after both procedures. We can bitch about health care but they sure as hell have come a long way.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
Too many years ago to remember other than he no longer had heart issues related to that problem again. He had his valves replaced but that was due to damage from rheumatic fever when he was a young man. Recovered well from that as well. Died from unrelated cause many years after both procedures. We can bitch about health care but they sure as hell have come a long way.
Sorry to hear about your dad.....And yes, medical tech has came a very, very long ways. Expensive as ****---but certainly has came a long way. I just hope this procedure worked. So far, it seems to have done so...Pure hell going through that shit.

Reactions: pig1960
Davis didn't impress for the Wizards in Summer League- but it's not like they are going anywhere anytime soon, so same old, same old...

Curious what the non-Purdue folks think of Purdue’s homecoming helmet. I’m biased but I think they’re legit.

Reactions: RichieRebel
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT