ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Sorry so late replaying. HAd heart ablation yesterday.

He is very good, and I think IU will regret not getting this kid. I do care who offered him. He can play. Flat out can shoot it....very athletic....and he's just a junior. I worked plenty of his games....I said a LONG time ago, Indiana needed to get in on this kid. Sucks to hear he committed to you guys---He'llbe a thorn in IU's side for many years.
Hope everything went well! Thanks for the Benter info.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Hope everything went well! Thanks for the Benter info.
EVerything went smooth. Doctors seem to think they fixed the problem..

Benter is going to be a really good college player. Honestly, he's an absolute perfect fit for Painter.

My guess is some programs were waiting to see if heā€™d grow a bit more before offering? Definitely would be intriguing if he ended up in the 6ā€™6/6ā€™7 range.
His dad was around 6ā€™2/6ā€™3 as a senior in high school and grew to 6ā€™6 in college while playing at Hanover. I would be surprised if Jack doesnā€™t end up around that 6ā€™6 height. His dad was also a damn good player, D3 national player of the year and have zero doubts he would have been offered in high school by the IUā€™s and Purdueā€™s at the time if he would have grown sooner.

Jack will end up being a better player than his dad was and the dude couldnā€™t be coming from a better basketball family (his dad was also my high school coach). Obviously biased in this one but I love the pick up. Think he has a higher ceiling than Cline/Sasha.

His dad was around 6ā€™2/6ā€™3 as a senior in high school and grew to 6ā€™6 in college while playing at Hanover. I would be surprised if Jack doesnā€™t end up around that 6ā€™6 height. His dad was also a damn good player, D3 national player of the year and have zero doubts he would have been offered in high school by the IUā€™s and Purdueā€™s at the time if he would have grown sooner.

Jack will end up being a better player than his dad was and the dude couldnā€™t be coming from a better basketball family (his dad was also my high school coach). Obviously biased in this one but I love the pick up. Think he has a higher ceiling than Cline/Sasha.

suck-wwe.gif

To be fair, it said BIG TEN powerhouse ā€¦ and within conference play, weā€™ve been by far the best over the last three years. :)
In the last 3 years, Maryland, MSU, Michigan, Illinois all have the same number of Big Ten titles. Illinois has been the most consistently good team, but winning it 1 out of 3 times and never making it past the second weekend isnā€™t exactly by far the best in the conference.

I hate Michigan, but they have accomplished more than Illinois in said timeframe. Elite 8, Sweet 16, and Big Ten Champs.

In the last 3 years, Maryland, MSU, Michigan, Illinois all have the same number of Big Ten titles. Illinois has been the most consistently good team, but winning it 1 out of 3 times and never making it past the second weekend isnā€™t exactly by far the best in the conference.

I hate Michigan, but they have accomplished more than Illinois in said timeframe. Elite 8, Sweet 16, and Big Ten Champs.
Illinois has like 5 more wins in conference than second place and lost a title on a shortsighted stipulation. Itā€™s not that close.

Illinois has like 5 more wins in conference than second place and lost a title on a shortsighted stipulation. Itā€™s not that close.
I agree youā€™ve been over the 3 years the team thatā€™s been good for all of them, but saying by far the best for a team that won 1 title in that time frame and didnā€™t make it to the second weekend once in that timeframe feels wrong when there are teams who have accomplished more.

I would not say Illinois has by far been better than UM, who has accomplished more, over the past 3 years. Have they been more consistent? Sure. But Michigan has the same number of titles as you and has made it further in both tournaments.

Have honestly not seen a fanbase crow over mediocrity as much as this.

He's going to be a very good college player. His ceiling is much hgher than Sasha/Cline---Much higher. I think its a fukin homerun for Painter. Kid fits his system to a "T", and he comes from a great background. Hard nosed, tough defender, can shoot the ball, score from many levels, plays above the rim. If he hits the growth spurt his dad did? Yikes.

I'll catch hell about raving on this kid----that is until 3 years from now when he starts torching IU for the next 4 years....

Ivey injured already?
Heā€™s not injured. Detroit pulled he and Duren out of summer league as a precaution. I think he nicked up his ankle but nothing that would cause him to miss time. Most teams just donā€™t care about summer league for obvious reasons

Reactions: IUfanBorden

I VERY clearly (and jokingly) was referring specifically to conference play, where Illinois has by far the best record and the only team to win both the regular season title and the BTT in that timeframe.

Again, it was mostly a joke responding to the Loosierā€™s stale trolling, lol.

Reactions: MGC_07
I agree youā€™ve been over the 3 years the team thatā€™s been good for all of them, but saying by far the best for a team that won 1 title in that time frame and didnā€™t make it to the second weekend once in that timeframe feels wrong when there are teams who have accomplished more.

I would not say Illinois has by far been better than UM, who has accomplished more, over the past 3 years. Have they been more consistent? Sure. But Michigan has the same number of titles as you and has made it further in both tournaments.
Michigan has finished 8th and 9th place in conference over that span, won less than 20 games twice, and has lost to Illinois in every single encounter. Thatā€™s a no.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichieRebel
Michigan has finished 8th and 9th place in conference over that span, won less than 20 games twice, and has lost to Illinois in every single encounter. Thatā€™s a no.
They have more basketball accomplishments though.

Illinois has been the most consistently good team but they are not the most accomplished team the past 3 years.

Illinois has been the most consistently good team but they are not the most accomplished team the past 3 years.
I would have no problem hearing an argument for Michigan or Wisconsin or whomever as the best program over the last three years; itā€™s always going to depend on what youā€™re ranking. As you said, within the conference, Illinois has been very consistent and looks to be pretty good again this year with some very young talent. However, they have run into two tough Second Round matchups and couldnā€™t get it done in March. I do, however, only really consider 2020-21 to be some kind of choke. Houston was underseeded and simply better than us, especially with Trent and Grandison unhealthy.

• Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan
Is there a difference between saying the best team in a conference vs best team in a tournament?

You serious, Clark?

Iā€™ve watched Indiana fans call their program a blueblood my entire life.
I've watched everyone call IU a blood blood program my entire life...Analyst, coaches, announcers, historians, etc, etc, etc.....

TBH, its a meaningless title. No bearing on how good you'll be this year, or next, or the next...Just a nice little propaganda, arguing center piece....

Indiana's history is what it is----that'll never change. Are they the elite program they once were? Well, I mean no.....Doesn't take away what they have accomplished over 100+ years. But if we wanna break it down to a 25 year criteria----sure.

With that being said----ready to roll this winter.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I've watched everyone call IU a blood blood program my entire life...Analyst, coaches, announcers, historians, etc, etc, etc.....

TBH, its a meaningless title. No bearing on how good you'll be this year, or next, or the next...Just a nice little propaganda, arguing center piece....

Indiana's history is what it is----that'll never change. Are they the elite program they once were? Well, I mean no.....Doesn't take away what they have accomplished over 100+ years. But if we wanna break it down to a 25 year criteria----sure.

With that being said----ready to roll this winter.
I donā€™t think anyone under 40 calls IU a blue blood. And if they do, itā€™s mockingly.

They had one season with a tournament run, and the had two seasons that were inarguably disappointing underachievements. Illinois may not have made a S16, but that has as much to do with their draws as anything. Iā€™d take their one 3-1 tournament run over ours, but Iā€™m not willing to let such a small subset of games overshadow a much larger dataset.

You serious, Clark?

Iā€™ve watched Indiana fans call their program a blueblood my entire life.
You might as well wave a white flag and say you agree with my statement. Indiana's success has zero baring on Illinois fans constantly having to put their mediocre accomplishments on a pedestal.

You might as well wave a white flag and say you agree with my statement. Indiana's success has zero baring on Illinois fans constantly having to put their mediocre accomplishments on a pedestal.
Unfortunately, over the discussed timeframe, the ā€œmediocreā€ performance of Illinois is the best in conference.

Can you even fit Indiana in both of those categories for the discussion?
No but again that doesn't mitigate the fact that Illinois fans have been pumping their chest over very little. When you have to start putting caveats like conference win%, disregard tournament results, the past 3 years, etc. Illinois has been better than their putrid results since Bruce Weber inherited Bill Selfs program but that's about it. They may even have something better on the horizon but the chest pumping has become a bit much.

No but again that doesn't mitigate the fact that Illinois fans have been pumping their chest over very little. When you have to start putting caveats like conference win%, disregard tournament results, the past 3 years, etc. Illinois has been better than their putrid results since Bruce Weber inherited Bill Selfs program but that's about it. They may even have something better on the horizon but the chest pumping has become a bit much.
I get it. It sucks watching Indiana trace our steps and hoping that you can topple King Kong.

I get it. It sucks watching Indiana trace our steps and hoping that you can topple King Kong.

Deflect deflect deflect. It's ok to admit you and others may have overreacted to some semblance of success but your stubbornness to admit it only validates the insecurity of the Illinois fanbase.

He's going to be a very good college player. His ceiling is much hgher than Sasha/Cline---Much higher. I think its a fukin homerun for Painter. Kid fits his system to a "T", and he comes from a great background. Hard nosed, tough defender, can shoot the ball, score from many levels, plays above the rim. If he hits the growth spurt his dad did? Yikes.

I'll catch hell about raving on this kid----that is until 3 years from now when he starts torching IU for the next 4 years....
Appreciate the insight. Iā€™ve seen some comments questioning his athleticism but it sounds like youā€™re not too concerned about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT