ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon, with or without ND.

After that, I think ND/Washington/Stanford in some combination.

Zona probably goes to B12/Pac12 leftover merger.

That seems to be the conventional thinking. Here's what would be interesting. What if the Big Ten only adds ND and Oregon? Can the PAC survive that?

They would still have 9 members and could act quickly and add Boise State, San Diego State and Fresno State. But does losing Oregon cause members to jump ship and join the Big 12?

If Oregon and Notre Dame are next I don’t think the next 2 would be from the west. I think raiding the acc would bring more $$$
That's been my thinking but the SEC/B1G maps are starting to get eerie similar to Civil War maps.

the-civil-war-1861-1865-washington-territory-nh-vt-me-dakota-38184859.png

IMO he’s rookie of the year. I think this Kings roster is best set up out of any of the bottom picks to make a playoff push and Keegan is NBA ready.

No turnovers either. And I completely agree with you.

Praying Kris makes the same type of leap this year.

Does MBB crowd want B1G to add Zona?
I mean their FB obviously isn't good, but UA is an AAU school and Phoenix is a big enough media market.

I mean their FB obviously isn't good, but UA is an AAU school and Phoenix is a big enough media market.
I think zona and ASU both eventually end up in the SEC.

We all owe Gil an apology for dogging him about the Murray twins. Sorry Gil, wherever you are. Hopefully you have worked on your racist tendencies and have become a better man. Or you're dead, who knows.....

Reactions: jimmygoiu
"Any cries for Oregon and Washington in the Big Ten should be tempered by the reality that if USC and UCLA wanted them there in the first place, they'd probably be there. Those schools appear to value owning Los Angeles and the rich recruiting market much more. They have a monopoly on the West Coast. Why invite in your top competition?"

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...t-steps-acc-big-12-pac-12-scramble-amid-chaos

Last edited:
"Any cries for Oregon and Washington in the Big Ten should be tempered by the reality that if USC and UCLA wanted them there in the first place, they'd probably be there. Those schools appear to value owning Los Angeles and the rich recruiting market much more. They have a monopoly on the West Coast. Why invite in your top competition?"

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...t-steps-acc-big-12-pac-12-scramble-amid-chaos
This completely neglects money to be earned in major markets. I think this is a shortsighted take.

This completely neglects money to be earned in major markets. I think this is a shortsighted take.

I have no doubt that USC would like to use this as a recruiting advantage over Oregon but that seems very shortsighted for the Big Ten's vision. The issue here is you need ND to say "yes" before expansion is worth it. We wait until we have their answer.

The B1G network gets about $1.50 per month per household for in-network cable subscribers (states that have a B1G team the B1G network is carried as a "basic channel", not a subscriber channel) . States where there is not a B1G team the B1G network gets money from subscriptions (estimated to be about $0.10 per household) Having B1G in-network in California will bring about $15MM/month to the B1G just from its B1G network alone. Plus it would seem logical having (additional) games like UCLA-Ohio State, Michigan-USC, etc, etc. will generate bigger fees in future network contracts.

When Rutgers and Maryland joined the league my understanding was, to avoid existing B1G teams taking a reduction in current payments, we needed to generate (at that time) between $35MM-$40MM annually. Today that number is probably closer to $75MM. So unless you think B1G teams are willingly going to take less money per school there likely isn't a team (other than Notre Dame) that can generate that amount of revenue. Oregon with 1.6MM households and Washington with 2.9MM households simply don't do it. To admit those schools would mean all other schools would need to agree to take a reduction in payouts.

I am not saying financially supplementing additional schools is necessarily a "bad strategy" (current B1G schools taking less money), but it will cost schools money and you need (i believe) 3/4 of schools to agree to that type of change.

Last edited:
^ I don't think it’s by state, it’s by DMA. All basic cable in LA will now have BTN, but the Bay Area market will not. That’s why RU and UMD were especially valuable, we actually got a ton of TV sets in their NEIGHBORING states/districts (NY, CT, VA, DC, etc.) because those get the same media as the portions where our new fan bases are concentrated (NJ and MD). In the end, it made zero difference how many UMD fans there were in DC proper or RU fans in Manhattan … because we got ‘em all anyway. On a smaller and already existing scale, BTN is in the St. Louis market due to Illinois, even though there are significantly more Mizzou fans.

Due to other factors the Big Ten IS offered in every market within our member states, but that remains to be seen if Bay Area cable would pick it up without Cal or Stanford.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Arizona and Gonzaga to the Mountain West. Make the conference relevant in basketball with those two plus SDSU, UNLV and others like CSU, Boise, Wyo and New Mexico making the tournament recently.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Arizona and Gonzaga to the Mountain West. Make the conference relevant in basketball with those two plus SDSU, UNLV and others like CSU, Boise, Wyo and New Mexico making the tournament recently.
Arizona would lose a ton of money going to the Mountain West. Dong think that’d benefit them financially at all.

Arizona would lose a ton of money going to the Mountain West. Dong think that’d benefit them financially at all.
Not so sure, really....Mountain West isn't a terrible conference....same market, really. No they won't rake the revenue they do being the PAC----so yeah, they'll lose $$$....But I don't tink enough to deter them from making the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT