ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acutally about 4-5 seconds.....NO reason to tie it in.....

What gets me with you, and I know 90% is trolling, but you speak highly of IU for the upcoming season, then for some reason like to go the opposite way....Weird. Tells me you are trolling, which is the reason I don't care to put to much stock into what you say.

I'll just call a turce on the back and forth. Illinois has been pretty decent the past 3 years, and thats good for the league' B10 needs more than just a team or two being the dudes. League is much better when historically good teams like Illinois and Indiana are good, competitive teams. I truly believe Woodson is going to get IU back into the top tier of the conference, and keep them there. He needs to rid some of his NBA stuff, and I think he will. Recruiting is very good. SO needless to say, I like the direction the program is headed in under Woody.
I speak highly of Indiana?

I think the nicest thing I’ve said about IU is that they are a clear cut #2 in Conference talent wise as things sit now.

I’ve been pretty critical of how it will all fit on the court, and that I think these preseason rankings that have Indiana anywhere from #8-#15 are overrating your squad.

I speak highly of Indiana?

I think the nicest thing I’ve said about IU is that they are a clear cut #2
in Conference talent wise as things sit now.

I’ve been pretty critical of how it will all fit on the court, and that I think these preseason rankings that have Indiana anywhere from #8-#15 are overrating your squad.
My bad.....I mistaken saying IU as "clear cut" 2nd best team in the B10 as speaking highly.

And if you feel IU being anywhere between #8-#15 is overrating them, then you must feel the B10 is really, really bad this year.

Again, you are basing your thoughts on the past.....Not sure how you cant see why a team would have some lofty preseason expectations, who won 21 games, made the NCAAT, return almost 90% of that team, and added the best class in the B10....NOt to mention they return probable NPOY candidate and a for sure BPOY caliber player in TJD.

My bad.....I mistaken saying IU as "clear cut" 2nd best team in the B10 as speaking highly.

And if you feel IU being anywhere between #8-#15 is overrating them, then you must feel the B10 is really, really bad this year.

Again, you are basing your thoughts on the past.....Not sure how you cant see why a team would have some lofty preseason expectations, who won 21 games, made the NCAAT, return almost 90% of that team, and added the best class in the B10....NOt to mention they return probable NPOY candidate and a for sure BPOY caliber player in TJD.
I do feel like the big ten is really, really weak this year. I have been pretty clear about that.

And no, I don’t think most 12-seeds (even 12 seeds that return most of their minutes) deserve the type of expectations that Indiana has had placed on them this off-season.

Lol at TJD being a NPOY candidate, he has the same shot as someone on Illinois winning it this year. A whopping 0% chance. The only player with a chance at NPOY in the conference is Dickinson and even that’s a very uphill battle.

I do feel like the big ten is really, really weak this year. I have been pretty clear about that.

And no, I don’t think most 12-seeds (even 12 seeds that return most of their minutes) deserve the type of expectations that Indiana has had placed on them this off-season.

Lol at TJD being a NPOY candidate, he has the same shot as someone on Illinois winning it this year. A whopping 0% chance. The only player with a chance at NPOY in the conference is Dickinson and even that’s a very uphill battle.
Gotcha....I will remember how weak the B10 is, in your opinion, if Illinois is to win the league.

Did you feel the same about UCLA? They were an 11-seed in 2021, but due to their FF run were a preseason Top 5 team in 2022.

Whats your take on Creighton? 9-seed last year----And some have them in their Top 5, many in their Top 10...

You think Michigan is overrated as well? 11 seed last year. Anywhere from #10-19. Seen as a B10 favorite...

Now we can move onto the Big boys...

Duke? Lost everyone but Roach. But are preseason #5.

UNC ? 8 seed last year....#1/#2...Top 5 in most polls.

Do any of these team deserve the type of expectations? If so, WHY? Outside of Creighton, no one returns more than Indiana.

As for TJD----You name the amount, the bet, whatever----I'll take it that TJD is a NPOY candidate. As for having the same shot as someone on Illinois winning it----quit being such a homer, dude. That is such an awful fuking take. PLus, I never insinuated he would/could win it----just that he will be a candidate---and he will be.

I've tried to meet ya in the middle....but you seemingly have no desire but to continue to troll, and thats cool----Do you, man. We will all find out this winter.

And curious----Why are you so "high" on Illinois preseason expectations? Lost, well, I mean a ton. Have a good class, some good transfers.....Why are you not leery of them being tabbed , or well you tabbing them as B10 fav's?

• Love
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Gotcha....I will remember how weak the B10 is, in your opinion, if Illinois is to win the league.

Did you feel the same about UCLA? They were an 11-seed in 2021, but due to their FF run were a preseason Top 5 team in 2022.

Whats your take on Creighton? 9-seed last year----And some have them in their Top 5, many in their Top 10...

You think Michigan is overrated as well? 11 seed last year. Anywhere from #10-19. Seen as a B10 favorite...

Do any of these team deserve the type of expectations? If so, WHY? Outside of Creighton, no one returns more than Indiana.

As for TJD----You name the amount, the bet, whatever----I'll take it that TJD is a NPOY candidate. As for having the same shot as someone on Illinois winning it----quit being such a homer, dude. That is such an awful fuking take. PLus, I never insinuated he would/could win it----just that he will be a candidate---and he will be.

I've tried to meet ya in the middle....but you seemingly have no desire but to continue to troll, and thats cool----Do you, man. We will all find out this winter.

And curious----Why are you so "high" on Illinois preseason expectations? Lost, well, I mean a ton. Have a good class, some good transfers.....Why are you not leery of them being tabbed , or well you tabbing them as B10 fav's?
Cliff notes?

Reactions: IUfanBorden

The last paragraph is pure homerism. I don’t have high expectations for Illinois. Nobody in the B1G for that matter. Going to be a dumpster fire.

Yes, UCLA was clearly overrated. Said it at the time, too. Preseason Top 5 yet ended up a 4-seed.

Creighton-overrated.

I haven’t seen Michigan get the same praise Indiana is getting, but if they are really ranked at #10-19 that’s probably too high. 20-30 is where I’d have them.

UNC is getting ranked high due to an actual run. Something Indiana never did.

Duke just brought in arguably the top recruiting class of the modern era. 3 of the top 4 players in the class. They will likely be very good, but could struggle early.

Like I said before TJD has 0% chance at a NPOY. You can be offended all you want, doesn’t change reality.

On Illinois being there, easy because there is very little guard talent in the conference, so our youth there won’t exposed. We have the best wings by a considerable margin. We have the best regular season coach (currently, alongside Gard and Painter) and we have done it before.

Any other questions?

The last paragraph is pure homerism. I don’t have high expectations for Illinois. Nobody in the B1G for that matter. Going to be a dumpster fire.
It’s all relative, I’m high on Illinois compared to the rest of the conference.

Nationally, I think Illinois is somewhere in between 10 and 20. Similar to last year.

Not so sure....I think the league will be just fine. Not as deep, or as talented, but it'll still be a tough ass league. And who know's really? Its all guess work right now. I mean who would have thought Murray or Davis would be what they were this year? You just never know how a kid, or kids will develop over the summer...I mean Hepburn could be the next Davis----and TBH, that would not surprise me. Kid has star written all over him.

Reactions: jwardelt
It’s all relative, I’m high on Illinois compared to the rest of the conference.

Nationally, I think Illinois is somewhere in between 10 and 20. Similar to last year.
Why? You lost Frazier, Curbelo. Kofi, Plummer, Grandison and Williams. In other words, your entire starting 5, sans Coleman Hawkins.

But your not so high on Indiana, a team that returns 6 of their top 7 scorers, including their top 3 in TJD(18ppg), XJ(12) and Race(11)...brings in a Top 15 class, led by two 5*s in Malik Reneau and Jalen Hood Schifino.

Weird, take.

Yes, UCLA was clearly overrated. Said it at the time, too. Preseason Top 5 yet ended up a 4-seed.

Creighton-overrated.

I haven’t seen Michigan get the same praise Indiana is getting, but if they are really ranked at #10-19 that’s probably too high. 20-30 is where I’d have them.

UNC is getting ranked high due to an actual run. Something Indiana never did.

Duke just brought in arguably the top recruiting class of the modern era. 3 of the top 4 players in the class. They will likely be very good, but could struggle early.

Like I said before TJD has 0% chance at a NPOY. You can be offended all you want, doesn’t change reality.

On Illinois being there, easy because there is very little guard talent in the conference, so our youth there won’t exposed. We have the best wings by a considerable margin. We have the best regular season coach (currently, alongside Gard and Painter) and we have done it before.

Any other questions?
Plenty of questions....

Where did I say TJD had a chance at NPOY? I said he would be a candidate. If you don't think he will be, then basketball probbaly isn't for you.

So making a run justifies getting ranked high? SO in other words, UCLA's ranking in 2022 was justified?

You are high on Illinois because , in your opinion, there is very little guard talent, so your youth there won't be exposed....Ok. I guess. Talent is great....but so is experience. Best wings by a considerable margin? Who? Only proven commodity there is ,who----Clark? Mayer(is he a wing)?

You've done it before.....Ok. But I didn't think we talked about the past on here? Or is it ok to do so when it fits your narrative?

Just some odd takes that reak of---"I hate Indiana, am a huge homer, and thats what I'm giving these hot takes that I am....."

I mean I'm high on Indiana, but then again, we could shit the bed. But on paper, anyone with any basketball knowledge can see why some would feel IU just might be pretty good.

Why? You lost Frazier, Curbelo. Kofi, Plummer, Grandison and Williams. In other words, your entire starting 5, sans Coleman Hawkins.

But your not so high on Indiana, a team that returns 6 of their top 7 scorers, including their top 3 in TJD(18ppg), XJ(12) and Race(11)...brings in a Top 15 class, led by two 5*s in Malik Reneau and Jalen Hood Schifino.

Weird, take.
You keep repeating the same things over and over, expecting a different response. Unfortunately my opinion remains the same.

Bringing back everybody from a mediocre team doesn’t do much for me.

If you guys added a couple of players who could space the floor, I’d probably be higher on your team. But you didn’t, so here we are.

You keep repeating the same things over and over, expecting a different response. Unfortunately my opinion remains the same.

Bringing back everybody from a mediocre team doesn’t do much for me.

If you guys added a couple of players who could space the floor, I’d probably be higher on your team. But you didn’t, so here we are.
Gotcha.....But bringing back no one from a team that should have lost to Chattanooga in the 1st round, and then got boat raced in the 2nd, does so something for you?

If we added a couple of players that could space the floor? As in, shooters? XJ shot 39%....Kopp was awful, yet still shot 36%.....CJ Gunn, a 4* recruit out of Indianapolis is a very good shooter.

Not repeating shit bro----just trying to figure out your takes.

Your high on a team that lost everryone because, well, you were good last year....But not a team that returns everyone that was mediocre....

Got it...

Plenty of questions....

Where did I say TJD had a chance at NPOY? I said he would be a candidate. If you don't think he will be, then basketball probbaly isn't for you.

So making a run justifies getting ranked high? SO in other words, UCLA's ranking in 2022 was justified?

You are high on Illinois because , in your opinion, there is very little guard talent, so your youth there won't be exposed....Ok. I guess. Talent is great....but so is experience. Best wings by a considerable margin? Who? Only proven commodity there is ,who----Clark? Mayer(is he a wing)?

You've done it before.....Ok. But I didn't think we talked about the past on here? Or is it ok to do so when it fits your narrative?

Just some odd takes that reak of---"I hate Indiana, am a huge homer, and thats what I'm giving these hot takes that I am....."

I mean I'm high on Indiana, but then again, we could shit the bed. But on paper, anyone with any basketball knowledge can see why some would feel IU just might be pretty good.
Wasn’t TJD a NPOY candidate last year as well? How’d that work out for you guys? Oh, you finished sub.500 in Conference and were a 12 seed? Impressive.

I thought UCLA deserved somewhere between 6-10, but with a final four run I was less inclined to argue about it because at least they proved they could win some games. Versus a 12 seed Indiana who got curb stomped by St Mary’s to the tune of 29 points.

Terrence Shannon, Matt Mayer, Coleman Hawkins, Rj Melendez, and Ty Rodgers will be our 2 thru 4. There is a gap between Illinois’ 2-4 and anyone else’s in the conference.

On paper, I’m sure you were confident about your team last year as well. Just like I was about Illinois, problem is, only one of us was right…

Gotcha.....But bringing back no one from a team that should have lost to Chattanooga in the 1st round, and then got boat raced in the 2nd, does so something for you?

If we added a couple of players that could space the floor? As in, shooters? XJ shot 39%....Kopp was awful, yet still shot 36%.....CJ Gunn, a 4* recruit out of Indianapolis is a very good shooter.

Not repeating shit bro----just trying to figure out your takes.

Your high on a team that lost everryone because, well, you were good last year....But not a team that returns everyone that was mediocre....

Got it...
There is nothing you have to decipher or look deeper into with me.

I have stated my opinion(s), if you don’t like them/disagree that’s your choice and not my problem.

Don’t expect other fanbases to be impressed by your 12 seed that has 90% of their mediocre minutes back.

There is nothing you have to decipher or look deeper into with me.

I have stated my opinion(s), if you don’t like them/disagree that’s your choice and not my problem.

Don’t expect other fanbases to be impressed by your 12 seed that has 90% of their mediocre minutes back.
Nor would I expect other fanbases to be impressed by your team, that lost everyone, and is going rely heavily on freshman and two transfers.

Also for someone who gets on me about the "past", you sure like bringing it up, i.e. IU being a 12-seed last year. But I get it....When bringing up the past fits your argument, its cool to use it.

Nor would I expect other fanbases to be impressed by your team, that lost everyone, and is going rely heavily on freshman and two transfers.

Also for someone who gets on me about the "past", you sure like bringing it up, i.e. IU being a 12-seed last year. But I get it....When bringing up the past fits your argument, its cool to use it.
That’s the difference here, I don’t care if you aren’t impressed with Illinois.

It’s cute that you still can’t differentiate between the past that you mention (ie: 2013 and 2 coaches ago for your program) versus the past that I mention- last season. Nuance just isn’t your thing apparently.

Btw- Indiana lost by more points to St Mary’s than Illinois lost by to Houstan and Loyola combined. You keep talking about ass whoopings/getting boat raced, guess it’s because you speak from true experience.

That’s the difference here, I don’t care if you aren’t impressed with Illinois.

It’s cute that you still can’t differentiate between the past that you mention (ie: 2013 and 2 coaches ago for your program) versus the past that I mention- last season. Nuance just isn’t your thing apparently.

Btw- Indiana lost by more points to St Mary’s than Illinois lost by to Houstan and Loyola combined. You keep talking about ass whoopings/getting boat raced, guess it’s because you speak from true experience.
Past is the past---Rather it was last year, or 2013. What is there to differentiate? In 2013 we had Zeller, Oladipo, etc, etc.....We no longer have them. LAst year you had Kofi, Curbelo, Frazier......You no longer have them. So where is the difference? What does Illinois being good last year, or the year before, have to do with this year? No one off either of those teams, of significance, returns....Well, Hawkins does.

Good to see you are at least somewhat decent at math. Because your reasoning skills suck fukin ass.

Are you expecting some type of "rile" from me about the loss to SMC? If so, good luck. They were better than us....IU was gassed. BIg deal. Just happy we got in, won a game. NO expectations were there. BUT--------on the other hand...If IU had been a 1 seed, ranked 2nd, went 16-4 in the B10, and then got our asses whooped in the 2nd round, yeah----I'd be a little more pissed....Or then add to it that the following year, we win the B10, get a 4 seed, and once again get prison raped in the 2nd round...........

But somehow that "past" is reasoning to be excited for this year, even though ever y player of significance is no longer there...

Gotcha...

You absolutely have to be trolling....JFC I hope so.

Are you expecting some type of "rile" from me about the loss to SMC? If so, good luck. They were better than us....IU was gassed. BIg deal. Just happy we got in, won a game. NO expectations were there. BUT--------on the other hand...If IU had been a 1 seed, ranked 2nd, went 16-4 in the B10, and then got our asses whooped in the 2nd round, yeah----I'd be a little more pissed....Or then add to it that the following year, we win the B10, get a 4 seed, and once again get prison raped in the 2nd round...........

But somehow that "past" is reasoning to be excited for this year, even though ever y player of significance is no longer there...

Gotcha...

You absolutely have to be trolling....JFC I hope so.
So you had NO expectations and lost by 29. (Feel like we are going to need a new term to describe that type of loss if 2 prison raping’s don’t total the amount of points you lost by)

Yet you bring back 90% of the minutes of that team you had NO expectations for, and you want me to believe that team has Elite 8 or Final Four aspirations?

And yes, I remember all last off-season how Illinois wouldn’t be able to replace Ayo, Giorgi, and Adam Miller. Yet here at Illinois we are reigning champs.

Kiss the ring, cuz I can’t hear you down there.

So you had NO expectations and lost by 29. (Feel like we are going to need a new term to describe that type of loss if 2 prison raping’s don’t total the amount of points you lost by)

Yet you bring back 90% of the minutes of that team you had NO expectations for, and you want me to believe that team has Elite 8 or Final Four aspirations?

And yes, I remember all last off-season how Illinois wouldn’t be able to replace Ayo, Giorgi, and Adam Miller. Yet here at Illinois we are reigning champs.

Yeah, you are trolling....

As a 12 seed, exactly what expectations should I have had? I mean I thought Indiana was finally playing good basketball, and felt they could maybe get past SMC....A game I'd love to have had played under different circumstances...

Anyways....the reasoning for expectations now, is well due to how IU finished the year, how many close games they were involved in last year,that they easily could have won...The fact they made the NCAAT, won 21 games, had wins over Purdue, Illinois and OSU---and lost on a 30-footer to Iowa in the BTT semi's. They got better. And they return 90% from a team that won 21 games, and was very competitive in the B10.

Yep you lost Ayo, Miller and Miller----but you also returned Kofi, Frazier, Curbelo, Williams, and Grandison....Now you have lost Kofi, Fraxier, Curbelo, PLummer, Grandison and replace them with..........

5 Freshman and two transfers.

You don't see a difference?

Its odd.....I guess no one from IU will improve. And we are overhyped. Even though IU returns everyone from a 21 win team, Yet Illinois returns no one from a team that won exactly two more games than IU, yet it makes sense that expectations for Illinois should be more so than that of Indiana.

Sounds legit.....Solid troll job fo sure...

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I had no expectations last year....As in, a deep NCAAT run. Then, well this team seemed to gel late, and it showed. Again I have said, IF this team can shoot the basketball, they could have a CEILING of an E8/FF....Shooting is what killed this team. If that doesn't improve, I still think this team has the potential to be pretty good, but probably 2nd round/SW 16 type of ceiling...Got to make perimeter shots.

Anyways....IU returns a lot. Lost 6 of 11 B10 games by 5 points or fewer...Beat ILLINOIS, Purdue and OSU, and should have swept the Buckeyes, and damn near won at Mackey. So yeah, I have some lofty expectations....I think IU certainly competes for a B10 title....IF they can shoot around 35% or better from three, then IMO their ceiling gets bigger.

Again, we will see...

Just curious.....Why are you so high on Illinois? Lost Kofi, Curbelo, Frazier, PLummer and Grandison. Only return Hawkins. Good class coming, led by Clark. Two good transfers in Johnson and Mayer.

You guys will depoend heavily on freshman and two transfers. Along with Hawkins. SO when looking at your roster, what is THE reasoning for the optimism that Illinois can win the B10?

Just curious.....Why are you so high on Illinois? Lost Kofi, Curbelo, Frazier, PLummer and Grandison. Only return Hawkins. Good class coming, led by Clark. Two good transfers in Johnson and Mayer.

You guys will depoend heavily on freshman and two transfers. Along with Hawkins. SO when looking at your roster, what is THE reasoning for the optimism that Illinois can win the B10?
Do you have an issue storing memories long term or do you just enjoy asking the same questions on repeat?

You seem to think if you type up 12 paragraphs of nonsensical drivel every post about how your team was “improving”, lost “close” games, yet you still had no expectations of a tourney run (you were dead on there) that I’m somehow going to change my mind about them.

Here’s a hint, I’m not.

Same different shitposting going on right now.
the-interview-james-franco.gif

Do you have an issue storing memories long term or do you just enjoy asking the same questions on repeat?

You seem to think if you type up 12 paragraphs of nonsensical drivel every post about how your team was “improving”, lost “close” games, yet you still had no expectations of a tourney run (you were dead on there) that I’m somehow going to change my mind about them.

Here’s a hint, I’m not.
Way to answer my question.....I just want to know why your expecations are so high for a team that lost like 90+% of their production.

Secondly, how many fans have ever had high expectations of a deep tourney run, when their team is a 12-seedd, you fukin' moron.

IU got better as the season progressed....Played extremely well in the BTT. But simply ran out of gas vs SMC. So that is what I am basing my expectations on for this year---A team that started to get it late, played well, made the NCAAT, returns 90% of that production, plus is bringing in a Top 10 class.

You ont he other hand have B10 title aspirations for a team that returns ONE guy, and will heavily rely on freshman, and two transfers.

Makes sense...

Nice commitment from Lebanese forward Youssef Khayat. Looks like a poor mans Franz Wagner. Hard to tell how ready he will be to play this year nice to have another talented option on the wing.
Poor man’s Franz is probably a fair comp. Staff thinks he’ll be ready to play this year and will be 2 and done. We’ll see.

Way to answer my question.....I just want to know why your expecations are so high for a team that lost like 90+% of their production.

Secondly, how many fans have ever had high expectations of a deep tourney run, when their team is a 12-seedd, you fukin' moron.

IU got better as the season progressed....Played extremely well in the BTT. But simply ran out of gas vs SMC. So that is what I am basing my expectations on for this year---A team that started to get it late, played well, made the NCAAT, returns 90% of that production, plus is bringing in a Top 10 class.

You ont he other hand have B10 title aspirations for a team that returns ONE guy, and will heavily rely on freshman, and two transfers.

Makes sense...
To be fair Borden, didn't you rank Illinois as the projected second best Big Ten team earlier in this thread?

To be fair Borden, didn't you rank Illinois as the projected second best Big Ten team earlier in this thread?
Apparently if you don’t have Indiana number 1 in conference you have to be trolling in his mind.

Shows just how delusional his expectations are.

Hell I’m surprised he hasn’t given formal complaints to the conference for not crowning them B1G champs already.

I did....And I gave my reasoning. I think they have some nice pieces. Again, its all a guess. Then again, I didn't really realize at the time all that they had lost. But even then, the additions of Clark/Mayer really helps.

Just wondering why he's so high on a team that lost everyone, but not so much on a team that returns almost everyone, and was pretty competitive in the B10.

Apparently if you don’t have Indiana number 1 in conference you have to be trolling in his mind.

Shows just how delusional his expectations are.

Hell I’m surprised he hasn’t given formal complaints to the conference for not crowning them B1G champs already.
See, now you are being obtuse---which is on par with your posting. Pretty much 90% pure shit---which is on par with what you normally bring to the table.

I gave my reasoning on why I think Illinois COULD be pretty good. Also gave my reasoning on why I think they could struggle. BUt that is irrelevant.

What IS relevant is why you are so high on a team that lost what Illinois did, yet call me delusional for saying Indiana could win the B10-----which BTW, many basketball pundits, experts, etc, etc...have also said. Hell, even you said you feel they are the 2nd best team....But then call my expectations of apossible B10 title, delusional...

So either you are trolling or have dementia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT