ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if serious
Not sure if this is serious.....Maybe had I pointed out someone from Minny or NW, you'd been more apt to agree---but I get it---Its an Indiana guy.

From Feb 21 to March 17, he averaged 17ppg( 3, 20+ games), 6.3 apg, 86% from the line(52-60), 39% from three...and just 3 turnovers per game...ALong with 4 rebounds per game..

So I mean how many other guards had those numbers: 17/4/6---shot 86% from the line and 39% from three...

Drawing a cutoff around an unsustainable 3 point shooting streak isn't how you project for the future. He had a good stretch. He also was pretty much an offensive dearth against anyone with a pulse.

image.png
18/12 vs Purdue
17/8/7 vs Michigan
14/6/4 vs Illinois
20/5/9 vs Iowa
16 vs OSU

Those teams have a pulse?

In what world could Geronimo play some 2? I think he’ll struggle guarding the 3 let alone what he’d do at the 2.

Still not sure where your shooting is going to come from tbh.
I said "could/can" play SOME 2, but more suited at the 3/4. Kid has made tremedous strides, andhas a nice jumper. Maybe though he doesn't improve at all----I dunno. Kids a freak athlete, who's basketball skills seem to be catching up to his athletic ability.

As for shooting? JHS is a very good mid-range shooter....Gunn a terrific shooter in HS....X shot 39% from three....Bates has the ability---just needs the PT, some confidence; was considered a kid with deeo range coming out of HS...Maybe he improves as well?

Shooting will be an issue until IU proves its not. Even then, like this roster. Tons and tons of talent.

I said "could/can" play SOME 2, but more suited at the 3/4. Kid has made tremedous strides, andhas a nice jumper. Maybe though he doesn't improve at all----I dunno. Kids a freak athlete, who's basketball skills seem to be catching up to his athletic ability.

As for shooting? JHS is a very good mid-range shooter....Gunn a terrific shooter in HS....X shot 39% from three....Bates has the ability---just needs the PT, some confidence; was considered a kid with deeo range coming out of HS...Maybe he improves as well?

Shooting will be an issue until IU proves its not. Even then, like this roster. Tons and tons of talent.

Like I mentioned before, I’d be shocked if Gunn got off the bench this year. Haven’t watched JHS play so can’t comment on his mid-range but I’m guessing he’s a guy opposing defenses will sag on a bit until he proves he can consistently hit shots.

I think Bates is your x-factor this year. If he makes a legit sophomore jump, you guys will be pretty solid. But I still wonder if you’ll have enough shooting to keep defenses honest. Because it was an issue last year for you guys and I’d argue it’s gotten worse with losing Stewart and not replacing him with another shooter.

Wonder how B1G divides baseball generated revenue, if any.
I'd imagine UW doesn't get a cut from that.
And probably similarly, schools without hockey don't get hockey money.
But I'm just assuming.
Same as other sports, I suppose. TV revenue, etc plus whatever the schools make individually.

I couldn't find anything off a quick search as far as whether or not a school gets a cut of the conference revenue if they don't field a varsity sports team, though.

I did see that Iowa only generated about $470,000 in revenue for baseball last year.

Like I mentioned before, I’d be shocked if Gunn got off the bench this year. Haven’t watched JHS play so can’t comment on his mid-range but I’m guessing he’s a guy opposing defenses will sag on a bit until he proves he can consistently hit shots.

I think Bates is your x-factor this year. If he makes a legit sophomore jump, you guys will be pretty solid. But I still wonder if you’ll have enough shooting to keep defenses honest. Because it was an issue last year for you guys and I’d argue it’s gotten worse with losing Stewart and not replacing him with another shooter.
Losing Stewart is an objective good thing and I don’t think it can even be argued otherwise. He shot well in the non conference, but he made the team a lot worse in the big ten.

18/12 vs Purdue
17/8/7 vs Michigan
14/6/4 vs Illinois
20/5/9 vs Iowa
16 vs OSU

Those teams have a pulse?
Considering he has sub 100 ORtgs against two of those teams, he lost 3/5, and they all had major defensive backcourt deficiencies, I’m not sure you’re making the point you think you are. He definitely shot enough shots to average a decent amount of points, sure.

He is a decent guard. He’s not a final 4 contending lead guard, and he’s probably not a big ten championship guard - as bad as the conference looks though, maybe he is.

Last edited:

If Gunn doesn't get off the bench, then things have really, really went well...SO in a way, I kinda of hope you are right....Gunn is a player. Under the radar. And a very, very good shooter.

JHS mid-range game is really solid... As is Reneau's.

Bates is a huge key....Loaded up with talent. THought issue with him last year, was the rotation he played with.

Losing Stewart is, meh, IMO-----As for not replacing him----Sort of didn't need too----XJ shot better from three----39%. Gunn can shoot it. Bates can as well.

Shooting will be a concern until its not---Cannot argue that.

And IF Bates makes a legit jump, as in, living up to his 5* billing----IU will be more than solid. Bates was considered an "in the gym range" dude, who could score from all three levels. He becomes THAT? And IU becomes really good...

NOTE: Race started to make decent strides with the 3 ball late in the year. He has a nice stroke---just at times seemed to rush his shot. Curious to see how much he has improved in that area.

Considering he has sub 100 ORtgs against two of those teams, he lost 3/5, and they all had major defensive backcourt deficiencies, I’m not sure you’re making the point you think you are. He definitely shot enough shots to average a decent amount of points, sure.

He is a decent guard. He’s not a final 4 contending lead guard, and he’s probably not a big ten championship guard - as bad as the conference looks though, maybe he is.
"He lost 3/5"? Never understood this argument. But, sure.

He took 9 shots a game.....

Last 10 games or so, he was really good. 17 ppg, 4 rebounds, 6 assists....Dont care who it was against---B10 is the B10....

I''l gladly welcome back a PG who averaged 13ppg/3.8 rpg and 5.2 apg----while cutting his turnovers waaaaaay down; 2.7.

By the end of the year, Woody reigned this dude in, and it showed.

I'll take decent guards at 13/3.8/5.2, shooting 39%, from three, 78% from the line,all day long...

Lulz, Purdue does the bare minimum to suggest they could've gotten their games in with Maryland this weekend. Ends up scrapping the remainder of their series with Maryland due to weather rather than choosing to schedule a doubleheader at the start of the series before the weather started, which a. gave Maryland the B10 title, but more importantly locked the Boilers into the final spot for the BTT and denied Nebraska a chance to backdoor with what probably would've been losses by Purdue anyways.

More lulz @Nebraska......but also kind of a dick move by Purdue to protect their seed. ;)

Izzo has basically confirmed we won’t be adding any transfers and are going to rolling into next year with 9 dudes we have. 9 scholarship players on a roster with definite holes. The fanbase is crucifying him save for a few defenders. He’s what our roster will look like

PG-AJ Hoggard, Tyson Walker, Tre Holloman
SG-Jaden Akins
SF-Pierre Brooks
PF-Joey Hauser, Malik Hall
C-Mady Sissoko, Jaxon Kohler

We know we’re going to run some multiple guard lineups and rumor has it Malik will get heavy PT at SF. But damn, we could have used another wing and another big. An injury basically anywhere absolutely fvcks us.

Most concerned about center. You have Mady Sissoko who is a foul machine and it’s very clear he started playing basketball recently. There’s a reason in our tournament games Sissoko got 0 minutes. And Jaxon Kohler who physically does not look prepared for the Big Ten.

I’m quite frustrated, especially in comparison to our football program which has just never had this kind of momentum in recruiting.

Izzo has basically confirmed we won’t be adding any transfers and are going to rolling into next year with 9 dudes we have. 9 scholarship players on a roster with definite holes. The fanbase is crucifying him save for a few defenders. He’s what our roster will look like

SG-Jaden Akins
SF-Pierre Brooks

We know we’re going to run some multiple guard lineups and rumor has it Malik will get heavy PT at SF. But damn, we could have used another wing and another big. An injury basically anywhere absolutely fvcks us.

Most concerned about center. You have Mady Sissoko who is a foul machine and it’s very clear he started playing basketball recently. There’s a reason in our tournament games Sissoko got 0 minutes. And Jaxon Kohler who physically does not look prepared for the Big Ten.

I’m quite frustrated, especially in comparison to our football program which has just never had this kind of momentum in recruiting.
RIP MSU bball

"He lost 3/5"? Never understood this argument. But, sure.

He took 9 shots a game.....

Last 10 games or so, he was really good. 17 ppg, 4 rebounds, 6 assists....Dont care who it was against---B10 is the B10....

I''l gladly welcome back a PG who averaged 13ppg/3.8 rpg and 5.2 apg----while cutting his turnovers waaaaaay down; 2.7.

By the end of the year, Woody reigned this dude in, and it showed.

I'll take decent guards at 13/3.8/5.2, shooting 39%, from three, 78% from the line,all day long...
He finished his season with a sub 100 ORtg in 9/14 games. You take those counting stats all day. I’ll take the stats that tell the full story: he’s inefficient and bad for offense .
The win loss matters for context. He was your lead guard and he wasn’t good enough to help out a pretty good front court. He scored because he put up a bunch of shots, not because he was dominant. He was 42% from 2.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
He finished his season with a sub 100 ORtg in 9/14 games. You take those counting stats all day. I’ll take the stats that tell the full story: he’s inefficient and bad for offense .
The win loss matters for context. He was your lead guard and he wasn’t good enough to help out a pretty good front court. He scored because he put up a bunch of shots, not because he was dominant. He was 42% from 2.
Kindly get your facts out of here pls

• Haha
Reactions: Jaycg15
Gunn is a player. Under the radar. And a very, very good shooter.
Every damn year IU fans say things like this about incoming players. And these are the 3P% ranks for the last 5 years starting with Woody's first year:

2022 - 33.3% (200th)
2021 - 32.4% (236th)
2020 - 32.6% (204th)
2019 - 31.2% (311th)
2018 - 32.2% (307th)

And here are the freshman 3P% those 5 years (guys with more than 10 attempts):

2018 - Al Durham (3 * recruit) 28.6%,
2019 - Romeo Langford (5 *) 27.2%, Rob Phinisee (4 *) 31.0%, Damezi Anderson (4 *) 23.3%
2020 - Armaan Franklin (4 *) 26.6%, Jerome Hunter (4 *) 30.2%
2021 - Khristian Lander (5 *) 27.3%, Trey Galloway (3 *) 18.2%, Anthony Leal (4 *) 30.0%
2022 - Jordan Geronimo (4 *) 31.0%, Tamar Bates (4 *) 29.8%

Only Geronimo (on low volume) was better than 31% out of that entire group. And that group contains two 5 star, 7 4 star and two 3 star recruits according to Rivals.

Every damn year IU fans say things like this about incoming players. And these are the 3P% ranks for the last 5 years starting with Woody's first year:

2022 - 33.3% (200th)
2021 - 32.4% (236th)
2020 - 32.6% (204th)
2019 - 31.2% (311th)
2018 - 32.2% (307th)

And here are the freshman 3P% those 5 years (guys with more than 10 attempts):

2018 - Al Durham (3 * recruit) 28.6%,
2019 - Romeo Langford (5 *) 27.2%, Rob Phinisee (4 *) 31.0%, Damezi Anderson (4 *) 23.3%
2020 - Armaan Franklin (4 *) 26.6%, Jerome Hunter (4 *) 30.2%
2021 - Khristian Lander (5 *) 27.3%, Trey Galloway (3 *) 18.2%, Anthony Leal (4 *) 30.0%
2022 - Jordan Geronimo (4 *) 31.0%, Tamar Bates (4 *) 29.8%

Only Geronimo (on low volume) was better than 31% out of that entire group. And that group contains two 5 star, 7 4 star and two 3 star recruits according to Rivals.
I would wager the vast majority of iu fans are not high on Gunn and do not expect any impact from him this forthcoming year. Shooting is the clear Achilles heel of this team. They’re a talented, flawed team with upside.

Lulz, Purdue does the bare minimum to suggest they could've gotten their games in with Maryland this weekend. Ends up scrapping the remainder of their series with Maryland due to weather rather than choosing to schedule a doubleheader at the start of the series before the weather started, which a. gave Maryland the B10 title, but more importantly locked the Boilers into the final spot for the BTT and denied Nebraska a chance to backdoor with what probably would've been losses by Purdue anyways.

More lulz @Nebraska......but also kind of a dick move by Purdue to protect their seed. ;)
Anything to hurt Nebraska is cool with me.

I would wager the vast majority of iu fans are not high on Gunn and do not expect any impact from him this forthcoming year. Shooting is the clear Achilles heel of this team. They’re a talented, flawed team with upside.
IU MBB fans and Nebraska football fans look at their respective teams through the same lens.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkit3113
IU MBB fans and Nebraska football fans look at their respective teams through the same lens.
I understand the comp and it has some merit, but given the current landscape of both sports, there’s a far clearer path to competence for IUBB. Neither team will ever be as elite as they once were though, so anyone in that camp for either program is delusional.

Edit: I know I’m not reflective of the fan base, but I don’t have overly high expectations for IU. I just want them to have as much success as any competent power 6 state school should have. There’s no reason for them not to make the tourney every year

Reactions: buckymel

SG-Jaden Akins
SF-Pierre Brooks

But it’s impossible that Izzo is losing some of his drive and fire into his late 60s

SG-Jaden Akins
SF-Pierre Brooks

We'll keep a seat warm for Holloman.

• Haha
Reactions: jwardelt
Juwan Howard just turned down the Lakers request to interview

Lololol @ The lakers . Dead fvcking franchise …….. YOU JUST LOVE TO SEE IT

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Juwan Howard just turned down the Lakers request to interview

Lololol @ The lakers . Dead fvcking franchise …….. YOU JUST LOVE TO SEE IT
Coaching your kids at your school or being an assistant coach to LeBron and being blamed for their shortcomings. Seems like an easy choice.

No one is going to want to coach that franchise.

• Love
Reactions: GOO_HAM
Congrats @bMORE607 on another shellacking. That's one of the best lacrosse teams I've ever seen. Can't imagine anyone stopping you from the title.

Reactions: bMORE607
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT