ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful what you wish for...

i-know-what-im-doing-defensive.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jwardelt
Roster wise IU has to be up there with Michigan in terms of talent but now we find out if Woody can coach.

If not this will be the best roster he ever has, lot of pressure on this season.

Color me skeptical that there aren't five more teams that will be just as good.
There might be a few teams that are as good, both teams have coaches that haven't quite proven themselves yet. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find any BIG10 rosters that are better than those teams.

In fact, I'd argue that if the BIG10 wants to finally be considered worth a shit again then it needs those two teams and coaches to pan out.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
There might be a few teams that are as good as both teams have coaches that haven't quite proven themselves yet. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find any BIG10 rosters that are better than those teams.

In fact, I'd argue that if the BIG10 wants to finally be worth a shit again then it needs these teams and coaches to pan out.
Right, right, ONLY IU's return can make the Big Ten good. Excuse me if I, as an Illini fan, and several others here do not believe this. ;)

Right, right, ONLY IU's return can make the Big Ten good. Excuse me if I, as an Illini fan, and several others here do not believe this. ;)
I was talking about those two teams specifically, I didn't say anything about Illinois.

Illinois roster next year isn't on par with Michigan or IU.

I won't say only but they're one of the few. They've had a terrible few year stretch and everyone here even says the school recruits itself. Imagine when they have a coach worth a shit. They're one of maybe 3-4 teams in the B1G who have the ability to bring in talent to win a title.

1 or more programs need to win a Natty. Doesn't really matter who.
Y’all should have won with Kaminsky. Izzo should have a second (pick a year). Matta never got one. Purdue could have won Carsen Edwards year but blew it in E8.

MSU would have had a great shot the cancelled covid year with Winston/Tillman/Henry

Y’all should have won with Kaminsky. Izzo should have a second (pick a year). Matta never got one. Purdue could have won Carsen Edwards year but blew it in E8.

MSU would have had a great shot the cancelled covid year with Winston/Tillman/Henry
Lot of coulda woulda shoulda in your post. Bottom line is that the BIG10 hasn't won a title in basketball in 22 years and has had a horrible stretch on the national stage.

They need the schools that recruit themselves (like IU, Michigan, Ohio State, MSU) to step up and start winning in the tournament.

Lot of coulda woulda shoulda in your post. Bottom line is that the BIG10 hasn't won a title in basketball in 22 years and has had a horrible stretch on the national stage.

They need the schools that recruit themselves (like IU, Michigan, Ohio State, MSU) to step up and start winning in the tournament.
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. OSU, MSU, UM and Wisconsin all have had multiple nationally elite teams and couldn’t get it done.

Illinois 2005 was a great team as well that fell just short. it’s crazy that just dumb luck wise a team hasn’t won it

Michigan, MSU, OSU are the others I'm sure you're gonna ask.
Appreciate the insult, but I disagree. Illinois is recruiting just fine and has as much instate talent as anywhere else. It’s also strange to leave off Big Ten teams like Illinois and Wisconsin who have played for a National Title more recently than IU, contradicting your assertion.

Not quite as good. Not without Kofi.
We’ll see! You guys were ready for Illinois to “go back to the cellar” or whatever without Ayo, and that didn’t happen. Underwood and staff are recruiting at a high level, have navigated the portal extremely well every year and have proven they can win in-conference. I can’t really expect another fan to hype my own team of young players, that is for sure; however, I like where we stand. I would say, as of today, we are around 3rd or 4th in a jumbled Big Ten, but if we land Pete Nance (some optimistic smoke), we’d be in the hunt again for a repeat.

P.S. Saying “backing into a title” is pretty lame. A Big Ten championship is a Big Ten championship, and we all play those 20 games each year wanting to win one. An upset on the last weekend of the year is one of hundreds of results that determines who wins one. At the end of the day, the team(s) with the best record hang that banner, and no one picks it apart when it’s their team.

• Haha
Reactions: IUBtown
We’ll see! You guys were ready for Illinois to “go back to the cellar” or whatever without Ayo, and that didn’t happen. Underwood and staff are recruiting at a high level, have navigated the portal extremely well every year and have proven they can win in-conference. I can’t really expect another fan to hype my own team of young players, that is for sure; however, I like where we stand. I would say, as of today, we are around 3rd or 4th in a jumbled Big Ten, but if we land Pete Nance (some optimistic smoke), we’d be in the hunt again for a repeat.

P.S. Saying “backing into a title” is pretty lame. A Big Ten championship is a Big Ten championship, and we all play those 20 games each year wanting to win one. An upset on the last weekend of the year is one of hundreds of results that determines who wins one. At the end of the day, the team(s) with the best record hang that banner, and no one picks it apart when it’s their team.
God damm you sound homer potatoe as fvck.

If you really think Illinois is a top 3-4 team in the conference without Kofi then you aren't even worth arguing with.

Ayo was never the difference maker that Kofi was, without him it's back to the basement.

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
Don't think Illinois will be anywhere close to the basement anytime soon. Wishful thinking on your part.
Thanks, my fellow homer potato.

IU folks need some room to be made for their inevitable ascent, it’s fine. :)

Basement implies, at least, the bottom half (8th or lower). Saying Illinois is clearly 8th or worse at this point is, err, the opposite of a homer? Lol.

If you really think Illinois is a top 3-4 team in the conference without Kofi then you aren't even worth arguing with.

Ayo was never the difference maker that Kofi was, without him it's back to the basement.
Okay? But you returning the same players from a mediocre team plus freshmen turns you into immediate favorites? You guys have proven nothing, and your “back to the basement” declaration is simply salty, wishful thinking … though, I admit your knowledge of the Big Ten basement is more extensive than ours lately.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Okay? But you returning the same players from a mediocre team plus freshmen turns you into immediate favorites? You guys have proven nothing, and your “back to the basement” declaration is simply salty, wishful thinking … though, I admit your knowledge of the Big Ten basement is more extensive than ours lately.
Who the hell said we were "immediate favorites"? I said IU has as much talent as anyone and they should be among the top of the conference if Woodson proves he can coach.

Also, lol at your "knowledge of the BIG10 basement," comment. Tom Crean has more BIG10 titles than Illinois since 2005, which was also the last time Illinois sniffed the Sweet 16.

Again, know your place.

Who the hell said we were "immediate favorites"? I said we have as much talent as anyone and we should be among the top of the conference if Woodson proves he can coach.

Also, lol at your "knowledge of the BIG10 basement," comment. Tom Crean has more BIG10 titles than Illinois since 2005, which was also the last time Illinois sniffed the Sweet 16.

Again, know your place.
Literally, who cares? In the present, Illinois has been much better than IU and is the current Big Ten champion, with only you claiming our imminent downfall, haha. John Groce and Tom Crean are completely irrelevant. We were significantly better than you last year and the couple years preceding that, and next year is obviously a blank canvas. I don’t think we are in some special place, I think we are one of many good Big Ten programs right now. You seem to be the one who should be taking that advice, given the arrogance you exude based on nothing but hype.

Completely and welcome back stranger.

I check this board occasionally but can’t keep up anymore, esp during the season (at one point in Jan I checked the in season b10 thread and there were 30+ new pages of posts since the last time I checked and said F it). Kids and new job been kicking my arse last few years (with pandemic the icing on the coffin)

Literally, who cares? In the present, Illinois has been much better than IU and is the current Big Ten champion, with only you claiming our imminent downfall, haha. John Groce and Tom Crean are completely irrelevant. We were significantly better than you last year and the couple years preceding that, and next year is obviously a blank canvas. I don’t think we are in some special place, I think we are one of many good Big Ten programs right now. You seem to be the one who should be taking that advice, given the arrogance you exude based on nothing but hype.
You all literally had one year in 21 that was an obvious gap from program to program. Illinois hasn't done shit but back into a tie for a title during a double digit loss season. I've never seen a fanbase crow over such mediocrity.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa

tommy-boy.gif

Don’t remind me. Won’t ever get over that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT